New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: All Quiet on the Aeolan Line

Sangius leans against the wall impassively and watches Eris leave. He then turns to Caepio, "Sir, as you must already know from reading my reports, I am a scientist, a Necromancer. I study the body and how it works, I was wondering, if you had finished interrogating the prisoners, if I may ...eh... borrow them indefinitely to carry out experiments. Trust me, I shall not breathe a word to anyone else, It will be our little secret. So, What do you say, Sir?
    Sigatar by Me

2. - Top - End - #212
    Dwarf in the Playground

Slowly, Caepio turns away from Sangius.

"Listen, Optio, I am well aware of your profession. Quite frankly what you are doing with the bodies of those departed disgusts me. Unfortunately, it seems powers higher than I disagree with me. Legatus Cato has given you a carte blance to do what the hell you want, under the condition that everything you learn be sent to Resurrection Corps. "

Caepio gives a long, slow sigh.

"However, the dear Legatus has also asked me to inform you of the predicament currently faced. The Aeolan Army officially neither endorses nor sanctions your activities. If anyone else finds out, we'll deny it. Your on your own, Optio."

[[Right, I guess we're jumping to the Battle of Saltorii when Selv gets back. Hold onto the your hats people!]]

3. - Top - End - #213
    Barbarian in the Playground

[sweet]

((I hope we can make a difference there. :)))

4. - Top - End - #214
    Dwarf in the Playground

Atticus maintains an almost-straight face, but its clear that he finds Eris's manner with the pilot very strange. Before the Raenian optio leaves, Atticus greets him in his own language, hoping to share news and small talk about that country.

While the senior officers attend to whatever secrets they choose to indulge in, Atticus speaks with the enlisted men back in the dugout. Coming from an artisan family, he still felt more comfortable among men who were, in their civilian lives, cooks, or clerks, or carpenters. After a few hands of cards he retires, exhausted by the day's events.

In the hours before the next action, Atticus becomes increasingly observant of the domestic niceties. He shaves carefully and trims his moustache. He cleans and presses his uniform as well as possible in the perpetually damp, dirty trench. He checks, cleans and re-checks his kit. As the minutes tick down to going back on duty, he sits at his workdesk, toying absently with a half-assembled blasting cap, seeming to look right through it into the distance.
    Last edited by Selv; 2007-12-30 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Edited to make meaning more clear.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

After his meeting with Caepio Sangius seems rather reserved. He disappears for over three days before returning. He is accompanied by an 'aid' named Lavitus. Lavitus is rather strange, covered from head to foot in cloth and materials he does not speak, and takes orders directly from Sangius.
    Sigatar by Me

6. - Top - End - #216

Quote Originally Posted by Selv View Post
    Atticus maintains an almost-straight face, but its clear that he finds Eris's manner very strange. Before the Raenian optio leaves...
    While the senior officers complain about each other...
    (Only Sangius, Eris and the officer were present since Sangius and Eris specifically left with him to speak in private.)

7. - Top - End - #217
    Dwarf in the Playground

[[Good to have everybody back!]]

The Battle of Saltorii
    It is a cold, crisp morning. A cold sun is just rising slowly above the horizon, illuminating the four islands outwards, and the vague outline of the Suraen coast can be made out. A faint damp hangs in the air from the rainfall the night before. Across the water, a strange cloud is appearing above Saltorii, thick and heavy. The steady pounding of the Coalition artillery can still be heard on this, the day of the attack.

The infantry attack is set to begin in less than two hours time as Ignis Century prepares for the advance.

Spoiler
    Show
    Battle of Saltorii Objectives
    - Capture the Milonian trenches.
    - Take the port town of Intolia.
    Last edited by Zafuel; 2007-12-30 at 10:42 AM.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Sangius sits on a chair, watching the foot soldiers scurry around and playing Latranae against himself. whilst waiting for the rest of the officers to appear. Standing by his side is Lavitus.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spell Selection

0 level
    Acid splash
    Flare x2
    touch of fatigue x2

1st level
    Mage armor
    Kelgore's fire bolt x3
    Cause fear

2nd level

Cloud of knives x2
    Electric vengeance
    Scare

3rd level
    Haste
    Invisibility Sphere
    Ray of exhaustion
    Sigatar by Me

9. - Top - End - #219
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ilane

Stepping old into the cold crisp morning she tightens the clasp of her cloak tighter around herself. Immaculate in the morning sun devoid of mud and grime from the trench she stands proud and watches the bombardment. Walking amongst the men she will calm any wavering fears and reassure them all about our guarenteed success upon the field of battle today.

Spotting Sangius playing Latarene with himself she walks over and leaning forward and whispering into his ear and his alone

"What do you think of that strange thick heavy cloud? It looks nothing like an ordinary one, and the Arcane is more your field of work. See what you can make of it."

Without a single glance at Lavitus she will stride down the lines talking to the men and any uncertainties they may have about todays assault, telling them where they will be going and showing them strategic strongpoints that may not be fully destroyed by friendly artillery.

Walking untill she finds a young private wearing a green armband of a runner she will stride up to him and say,

"Make sure someone has a tel line following me and the command team. If i need an artillery barrage i want it fast and so we can accomdate it and move as is needed. Now go ask someone and make sure i have one within a half hour!"

Walking back to where Sangius was stood she will stand and watch the artillery and wait for her fellow officers to turn up.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Fifteen years ago, I was building a sandcastle with my brother a few miles from here. That was just after they finished the Laerus railine. We were the first family on the street to go on a seaside holiday..."
    Leaving his reverie, Atticus smiles a strange, forced smile and returns to the present.
    "If the donkey rides are still there, we can all re-live our cavalry days."

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Sangius gets up from his game. He slowly checks over the trench lip, muttering something to himself. After a while he steps back down and returns to his seat.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcraft check : (1d20+14)[15]
    Edit: Just re-read the rules an I just realized I can take ten, am I allowed to? if so I get a 24.

Also, in case it is non magical
    Knowledge geography check : [roll]1d20+6[/roll]

....odd, didn't work.

invisible castle
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1449099/
    Last edited by Exeson; 2008-01-01 at 02:04 PM.
    Sigatar by Me

12. - Top - End - #222
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Cloud
    Sangius examines the cloud for a time, but is forced to conclude that their is nothing arcane about it.

However, he remembers reading a treatise by Gaius Caecillius Secundus from the time when the Aeolan harbour was first built on the island. Gaius mentioned that a thick black cloud enveloped Saltorii for two days, halting construction.
    Gaius concluded that the magical evcavation of the rock had caused the release of gas and soot, and notes that it was swiftly dispersed by the wind after the harbour excavation stopped.

The Runner
    The runner salutes smartly as Centurion Ilane addressed him. Ilane has a vague recollection of the runner before; Private Adolvius Patrius Taberna.

He immediately heads back into one of the support trenches to talk to a technician.
    Last edited by Zafuel; 2008-01-01 at 02:23 PM.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

Sangius turns to Ilane 'The cloud does not seem magical, but it hints towards the fact that the is some sort of construction or similar activity going on. Perhaps we could request a plane or three to check it out? I don't like it'

Spoiler
    Show
    Note: lavitus's stats can be found in the notes section of Sangius's character sheet
    Last edited by Exeson; 2008-01-01 at 02:25 PM.
    Sigatar by Me

14. - Top - End - #224
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ilane

"Building something. Hmmmm.

Runner!
    "

Waiting for one to appear she will consider her options,

"I want a high altitude spy plane fast with cameras only to take visuals on that island over there. If we have some already and recent ones bring them to me now.

Sangius is there anything you can do or know of in the arcane world which will whip up winds to blow that cloud away. I know there is nothing that Mars can grant me yet that will.
    "

General Knowledge Check to find out where i know that kid from - (1D20+2)[19]

If possible she will take 10 (or 20 time permitting) to try and fathom it out if this roll is below 12.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

"unfortunately nothing that I could create without study. If memory serves correct as soon as the digging stops the cloud disperses pretty quickly." he frowns, opens his mouth as if to add more but shakes his head and walks over to Atticus and sits down next to him, he leans over and speaks to the man. "I suppose we're only foot soldiers, so our opinions don't matter much, but I don't like this one bit. My abilities are formidable but really is this how they chose to waste the lives of valuable officers? over the top to death, glory or whatever else awaits us?"
    Sigatar by Me

16. - Top - End - #226
    Bugbear in the Playground

"It's the way us line soldiers were treated, why would they treat officers any different, your body will soak bullets just the same as mine."

Gaius snorts before making sure that all of the straps of his pack are tight, before picking up his rifle.

Bloody self-righteous noblemen.

"Not meaning any disrespect sir"
    High Ref and Recruiter for the PvP Arena.

Characters for the Arena: || Snake || Yoshi || Todd

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

Sangius narrows his eyes, "Still a waste, I'll just make sure i run behind you."
    Last edited by Exeson; 2008-01-01 at 04:41 PM.
    Sigatar by Me

18. - Top - End - #228
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I'm sure the General Staff are doing what they think best, Optio."

(And I don't fancy an insubordination charge. Tell it to your bloody Lavitus.)

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

"Atticus," the use of the man's name seems rather hard for Sangius, "I have seen the... battle plans, a child could create them,"

He turns to Lavitus who is standing faithfully at his shoulder.

"Fetch me some water, and fill up my canteen" He orders, holding out his empty canteen. "well, hop to it!" He says and snaps his fingers. Lavitus inclines his head and moves away with surprising speed.
    Sigatar by Me

20. - Top - End - #230
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Well, A child could say "Advance on the enemy in good order", but I assume the men behind big desks have, you know, maps and such. Assessments of strength. Maybe intercepted orders. I assume there's reasoning behind it all. They're not just playing continental conkers."

"I'll admit we don't know much about their processes, what with all this worry about secrecy. But if they weren't taking proper steps, then what would be the bloody point in it all?"

Atticus' rising tone, uncharacteristic language, and blatant non-sequitur all betray strong emotion barely suppressed.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Dwarf in the Playground

As the officers of the century argue, the milites are filing in along the back wall of the trench. In front of them, up against the trench wall, another group of soldiers are taking up their positions. They are wearing heavy greatcoats and hoods, deliberately obscuring their features, but a smell of fetid meat drifts across the trench.
    Along the line, five new officers are handing out old bayoneted rifles to the assembled soldiers. One, his uniform marking him as Optio-Immune, walks over to Ilane.

"One half-century of Reortius' Auxilaries, centurion. They're all under your command, ma'am, but I'd advise issuing orders to one of those three."

He gestures at three of the Auxilaries.

"Clemens, Galipor and Marcus. The rest will follow their lead, so you can control the whole half-century through them. I'd advise letting them lead the charge, ma'am."
    Last edited by Zafuel; 2008-01-02 at 03:16 PM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

Sangius narrows his eyes, as if concentrating.

so thats why... and after that crap he gave to me they go and do this?
    Sigatar by Me

23. - Top - End - #233
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Ready!

The milites and the auxilaries both ready bayonetted rifles.

Across the water, the thick black fumes are still emanating from Saltorii as the final few seconds pass.

The whistles come, a shrill sound echoing across the trenches. The auxilaries are first, scrambling up the ladders and into no-man's land, even as the soldiers behind them swarm in to take their place at the ladders.

Across the gulf of the wasteland, the Milonian forces are hurrying to set up autoguns before the Aeolan troops get too close.

Spoiler
    Show

A large map with nearly everthing labelled and lettered is here.

24. - Top - End - #234

Having only bothered with having his wands recharged and some alchemical fire procured the past days Eris is right behind Galipor, Marcus and Clemens. "TO GLORY!" He shouts, charging out towards hole J ahead of his foregone colleagues.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes. Eris is running out with the zombies. Ahead of them if he can. He wants to grab the enemies' attention, make them nervous or distract them (maybe even their artillery) and set himself up for a good sniping position before the auto-gunners finish their positions.
    Last edited by Moechi_Vill; 2008-01-05 at 08:07 AM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Sangius curses as Eris speeds over the top, "Fool, I have some spells to cast, stay in the shell hole ((Hole J))" he then turns to the rest of the officers, "Ma'am, I have some spells I wish to cast on us, if we could rendezvous in that shell hole ((hole J)) I can catch all of us in the range."

He then takes a ladder and scurries up it with surprising agility, followed closely by Lavitus.

Spoiler
    Show
    Is it possible to assume that I had cast mage armour before the whistle went? If so I Double move to hole J.
    If not I cast mage armour and single move to ridge G.

Initiative
    Sangius = (1d20+2)[15]
    Lavitus = (1d20+6)[16]

Sigatar by Me

26. - Top - End - #236
    Dwarf in the Playground

"To bloody, bloody glory, then."

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative (1d20 7=11)

Atticus will also head for hole J, though for very different reasons than Eris'. if it's practical, he'll try to stay behind the auxiliaries, but his main goal is to get to cover as quickly as possible.

27. - Top - End - #237

Spoiler
    Show
    Foregone as in zombies of course, not you guys. To bloody, gory glory it is! That rhymes! wheee! Too bad about the spells btw., :( but they should last longer if we cast them later. I'm not sure when they'll start firing on us.

Eris tries to dodge any incoming artillery, but he doesn't bother much about small arms fire or automatic taking aim unless he notices they are massed.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ilane

(This is assuming the teline is set up and ready.)

"Okay give them hell boys!

Clemes Galipor and Marcus you take your boys straight over the centre! Smash those autocannon teams in the middle before they can rip our men to shreds. Take those 2 gaps on the right and over-run that target as fast as you can. Eris go with them and keep them on their feet if you can.

Sangius Atticus and Gaius meet us in that hole.
    "

She will point to Hole J.

Into the tee-line assuming its there

"Find your range and hit that centre target. Err more to the left than right boys."

Then she will stand up and with the rest of her fellow officers to Hole J.

Initiative - (1D20+3)[6]