New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Who deals the Most Damage in Melee?

I am looking to make a character that, when he walks in to a room, everyone knows what he is there for. So that will be along the role play side. But as far as the character? I want someone who can wade in and didn’t multiple enemies at once in melee. I’m thinking the Barbarian for this right? But I want the character to output as much damage as possible.

Any suggestions? I was thinking about playing an Orc, but I really love the idea of being a Goliath. Are there other races that fit better here as well? Just wondering :)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Who deals the Most Damage in Melee?

half-orc berserker barbarian with a great axe.

3. - Top - End - #3

BardGuy

If you want damage output vs multiple targets via MELEE, you can't get better than a fighter or monk. Personally, I prefer the fighter, but that's just me.

A fighter can walk into a room with literally ANY weapon, swing four times, action surge, swing four MORE times, and likely use gods know what abilities from BM, Samurai, or other such stuff to add effects and damage to those EIGHT deadly swings inside of SIX SECONDS. I am sure there's a niche build that can outdo this, but hypotheticals are just thought experiments.

Likely, you'll be somewhere between 3rd and 14th level, so bring a Samurai in, give yourself advantage, and go to town on everything within reach.
    Bonus points: use a reach weapon and be a bugbear. 15ft reach with sentinel is d***ed efficient.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Agree that Bugbear could be fun. It's also a big MFer and known for its savagery. Mechanically you might be better off with a goliath or something, but as a bugbear you will stand out.

Fighter is your top option for consistant damage, but a paladin or rogue both have solid nova potential and barbarians won't deal quite as much but its respectable as hell and they tank well.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by carrdrivesyou View Post
    If you want damage output vs multiple targets via MELEE, you can't get better than a fighter or monk. Personally, I prefer the fighter, but that's just me.

A fighter can walk into a room with literally ANY weapon, swing four times, action surge, swing four MORE times, and likely use gods know what abilities from BM, Samurai, or other such stuff to add effects and damage to those EIGHT deadly swings inside of SIX SECONDS. I am sure there's a niche build that can outdo this, but hypotheticals are just thought experiments.

Likely, you'll be somewhere between 3rd and 14th level, so bring a Samurai in, give yourself advantage, and go to town on everything within reach.
    Bonus points: use a reach weapon and be a bugbear. 15ft reach with sentinel is d***ed efficient.
    So a fighter outputs more damage than the Barbarian? I suppose that makes sense.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by carrdrivesyou View Post
    Long-Limbed only applies when you make a melee attack on your turn. Considering sentinel only triggers when it isn't your turn, the racial trait has no effect on the feat.

7. - Top - End - #7

Assuming the opponent has a head...

Level 20 Elf or Half Elf Battle Master with Elvish Accuracy, a familiar via Magic Initiate or Ritual Caster, and a Vorpal Sword.

Use your familiar's help action on your first attack to gain advantage for three chances to roll a 20. Use the Trip maneuver to make the opponent prone.

Now that your opponent is prone, you have, including your action surge, seven more attacks at advantage.

That's a total of 8 attacks and 24 D20's rolled.

The odds are good that the bad guy is losing their head.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

It somewhat depends on your level breaks.

At level 5, for example, I don't think many builds can beat a simple PAM Hunter (PHB) Ranger with Horde Breaker, going off at 4 (potential) attacks every round, with Hunters Mark adding damage to each. Yes, a Fighter can get more attacks using Action Surge, but for consistent melee damage against multiple foes, the Ranger takes the cake from levels 3-5.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

9. - Top - End - #9

So I could put out a Goliath fighter and do well it seems. So then my next question: would it be too costly to use a shield and an axe of some form? I think the idea would be to have a Viking type description weapon/fighting style. Essentially? I guess at this point I’m looking to make sure that I really fill the role of heavy hitter.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

As a Barbarian you are proficient in all weapons, I pays to have a nice selection for all occasions. ;)

11. - Top - End - #11

Barbarian 4/Fighter the rest. GWM+PAM. It's pretty standard.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

So...there are several ways to do this:

- If you want sustained damage, go for a High Elf Swashbuckler Rogue that uses Booming or Green Flame Blade. You gain a lot of damage from sneak attack, while BB and GFB both do pretty respectable amounts of damage for single target attacks.

- If you want to crit fish, builds that use Elven Accuracy with advantage, or builds that make a ton of attacks work best. I've never really made a crit fishing build though...sooo I'm not gonna go into that much

- If you want someone who can do a TON of burst damage in a few rounds, then look no further then the Soradin. If you go 6 levels of Paladin, and the rest Sorcerer, while taking Booming Blade and Quicken Spell, you'll end up with a character that can deal burst damage that goes well into the hundreds. Assuming a 6 Paladin/6Sorcerer split, Haste on yourself, and a normal longsword with 18 Strength, you'll do: 4d8 slashing + 2d8 thunder + 20d8 radiant + 16, for an average of about 134 damage in a single round. Best part is the damage is split between 4 attacks, and if the person who took the booming blade moves they take an additional 3d8 thunder damage.

I will say though, your damage kind of falls off after that burst since it takes all of your 4th and 5th level spells. However, that is mitigated as time goes on and you gain more spell slots. If you go Oath of Vengeance you can also gain advantage against a target for a while.
    Never let the fluff of a class define the personality of a character. Let Clerics be Atheist, let Barbarians be cowardly or calm, let Druids hate nature, and let Wizards know nothing about the arcane

Fun Fact: A monk in armor loses Martial Arts, Unarmored Defense, and Unarmored Movement, but keep all of their other abilities, including subclass features, and Stunning Strike works with melee weapon attacks. Make a Monk in Fullplate with a Greatsword >=D

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Do you have one fight on average per long rest?

Polearm Master Sorcadin. Smite on every attack for absurd damage. Possibly (though not required) dip Fighter 3 for Battlemaster Dice and Action Surge and 3 levels in Zealot Barbarian for the max possible damage per attack.

Otherwise? Fighter. Probably Battlemaster.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

*scrubbed*
    Last edited by flat_footed; 2020-01-20 at 10:44 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Fighter samurai

half elf with elven accuracy feat

bow build

throw in 3 gloomstalker for a littler more first round alpha.

having a billion attacks at what is essentially triple advantage on demand at massive range is a helluva drug.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

*scrubbed*
    Last edited by flat_footed; 2020-01-20 at 10:46 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

*scrubbed*
    Last edited by flat_footed; 2020-01-20 at 10:47 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

*scrubbed*
    Last edited by flat_footed; 2020-01-20 at 10:47 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

19. - Top - End - #19

*scrubbed*
    Last edited by flat_footed; 2020-01-20 at 10:51 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

*scrubbed*

@OP: In my opinion, the Battle Master Fighter wins if there your table isn't using the optional flanking rules because of Trip Attack, Extra Attack, and Action Surge, but if your table is using them, then Half-Elf Samurai Fighter with Elven Accuracy abusing Fighting Spirit and Rapid Strikes will provide higher DPR if you are flanking reliably. These builds are made more effective with PAM+GWM+Sentinel with Gauntlets of Ogre Power/Belt of Giant Strength.
    Last edited by flat_footed; 2020-01-20 at 11:15 PM.
    🎶They see me postin', they hatin',
    patrollin' and tryin' to catch me postin' dirty.🎶

Quote Originally Posted by Expected
    {Scrubbed}
    ...Damn it.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

TWF then swapping over to PAM when you can take the feat is a good way to do it. Ranger and monk are strong at early levels but Paladin and Fighter take over in the later tiers. Barbarian sits right in the middle and benefit from extra survivability as well.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

The mountain dwarf zealot barbarian (level 8) with GWM in my party has calculated a theoretical max damage of about 130 per round when Hasted. He hasn't even maxed out his strength yet. It's something like 2d6+1 (weapon) +4 (str) + 10 (GWM) + 2 (rage) + 1d6+4 (zealot) = max 39 per hit, and I think I'm leaving out something, maybe the Rage bonus is higher? That's 3 times per round, and if he downs an enemy, he gets a bonus action attack.

With advantage (reckless attack), he has a 10% crit rate also.

It's pretty impressive.
    Last edited by J-H; 2020-01-15 at 04:35 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    The mountain dwarf zealot barbarian (level 8) with GWM in my party has calculated a theoretical max damage of about 130 per round when Hasted. He hasn't even maxed out his strength yet. It's something like 2d6+1 (weapon) +4 (str) + 10 (GWM) + 2 (rage) + 1d6+4 (zealot) = max 39 per hit, and I think I'm leaving out something, maybe the Rage bonus is higher? That's 3 times per round, and if he downs an enemy, he gets a bonus action attack.

It's pretty impressive.
    Eh, 130 isn't all that impressive if you're just assuming no miss chance (on a GWM build no less), a magic weapon, a high investment buff like Haste, and max damage rolls.
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2020-01-15 at 11:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

24. - Top - End - #24

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by DarknessEternal View Post
    Barbarian 4/Fighter the rest. GWM+PAM. It's pretty standard.
    Agreed though with this build go fighter 5 then barb 4 then fighter x

25. - Top - End - #25

MindFlayer

It's pretty impressive.
    Also Zealots radiant damage only happens once per turn. Though a point buy Vhuman PAM+GWM Zealot at lv5 can do 64 average assuming all hit but that isn't very likely more likely only 2 hits but regardless a sizable damage per turn.being able to kill a black abashi in one turn if you hit all your attacks.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Well, he's only at level 8. For the level, he definitely has the most damage output. I think the monk has managed about 40-50 damage per round, but doesn't hit as often as Reckless Attacking barbarian does.

27. - Top - End - #27

Well, he's only at level 8.
    Yes, I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Tough question.

It depends on CR of the enemy, PC level, rolled stats, etc.

A devotion paladin with sacred weapon and GWM is scary.... in the 2nd round.

A champion believe it or not... is scary in hour 23 of a day with no rest.

Reckless attack and rage... are a nasty combo.

I think a paladin though is the best just because of their aura of protection. And ability to smite post hit. Can wear heavy armor. Easily dip for a ranged cantrip.

I'm a fighter fan. But a paladin even without GWM... Can smite when wanted. Very powerful.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Throw in the sorcerer with a cleric dip (for weapon proficiency) with great weapon master, booming blade and twinned and quickened spells. If you go for divine soul you can even buff with things like holy weapon. It's pretty good melee damage.

If you are happy excelling in melee less often you can swap some sorcerer levels for rogue levels.

Drunken master monks can do well with the right crowd at very high levels - this also gets better with an expanded reach.

30. - Top - End - #30

ElfRangerGuy

Fighter (battlemaster) 11/Hexblade 5/gloom stalker 4 is nasty on the first round. If you want more sustained damage, swap gloom stalker for zealot barbarian.
    Paladin/Hexblade can do some pretty crazy nuke plus have ok sustained damage and a pretty big toolbox.

What are you aiming for? Through the day, nuke, etc?
    I might attack your points aggressively: nothing personal. If I call out a fallacy in your argumentation, it doesn't mean I think you are arguing in bad faith. I invite you to call out if I somehow fail to live by the Twelve Virtues of Rationality.

My favourite D&D session had 3 dice rolls. I'm currently curious to any system that has a higher amount of choices in and out of combat than 5e from the beginning of the game; especially for non-spellcasters. Please PM any recommendations.