New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Prana Ghosts in Golarion?

The prana ghost is one of my favorite entries from the Occult Bestiary, essentially Obi-Wan Kenobi in template form.

With so much flavor and potential, I’d think these would be featured somewhere in Golarion lore. Are there any references to prana ghosts in any other Paizo publications? Did they ever show up in Golarion? And if not, is there anywhere in that setting they’d be especially likely to be found?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Prana Ghosts in Golarion?

None jump out to me, but any place with a lot of Akashic users (Akashic Mysteries dreamscarred press 3pp) seems to fit. The caliphate that includes the city of Wati and those environs seems like a good fit. Ancient egypt analog is a good place to put users of older powers than magic, especially if they wete ousted by god pharoh Nepthys pre ascension. I do not believe I recall anything in the lore 1pp though, though my pf lore is spotty at best.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, thanks. Sounds like Paizo never incorporated them into the setting, which is a shame.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

They were in an Inner Sea book, which means they were part of the setting, just never actually elaborated on. I adore prana ghosts as well (mostly as something to point at alongside stuff like loci spirits when people say "its a Good ghost!"), and I wish they appeared in a module somewhere.
    Last edited by Ninjaxenomorph; 2020-01-17 at 12:59 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Spamalot in the Playground

Most likely they show up in an psychic/occult-heavy area like Vudra. Just because the authors didn't show explicit dots on a map doesn't mean there aren't areas they're expected or likely to show up.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Ninjaxenomorph
    I adore prana ghosts as well (mostly as something to point at alongside stuff like loci spirits when people say "its a Good ghost!"), and I wish they appeared in a module somewhere.
    The second chapter of the Tyrant’s Grasp AP, “Eulogy for Roslar’s Coffer,” would have been a perfect spot for one, but instead there was some other weirdness.

Originally Posted by Psyren
    Just because the authors didn't show explicit dots on a map doesn't mean there aren't areas they're expected or likely to show up.
    Sure, but I mainly wanted to see if there was a locality or region which had been developed with prana ghosts as an integral part of the story for that area. Sadly it doesn’t look like it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGirl

They're my go-to for the ghosts of Monks. I'd say put 'em wherever there's a lot of Monks: Tian Xia, Vudra, Jalmeray, etc.
    The Library of Metzofitz: An up-to-date reference document for all of your Akashic, Path of War, and Psionic needs. In the works: Gonzo and Legendary material.

Pathfinder Caster Spreadsheet: For when you need to check if there's a spontaneous caster Witch or a Charisma-based Alchemist (the answer is yes). Includes manifesters, initiators, and veilweavers. Now with a colorblind version!

Akashic Character Sheet: Tracks invested Essence, plenty of space for veils and other Akashic hullabaloo.