New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: How much freedom does the DM have on premade world?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    And even back in the day, if you ignored Greenwood's rails and changed whatever you felt like changing, he wasn't going to show up at your table and rebuke you for it. (At least, he never did that at any table I played at.)
    There was always the problem where retooling enough to get around things you dont like can be difficult. They were trying to keep you on the rails from the Dragonlance novel modules into 2nd ed was about selling the next book next month. Its why they made gods invincible and stuck impossibly powerful beings you could never match with specific rulings on how nothing works on them or they instakill you like the Lady of Pain or the Spelljammer to keep you on the rails for the next sale.

Its was a little different from it being hard to rub Eberron but want it in the regular D&D-verse where its just a unique mechanics issue vs an evil company flipping you off and demanding you give them more money. That was just the reality of the late 80s/early 90s when Lorraine Williams was in charge and specifically hated us "nerds"
    Last edited by TrollCapAmerica; 2020-01-17 at 05:38 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Throne12 View Post
    What do you Invision when you say your not going to make him a villain?
    Hopefully none of my players are here but basically the lord of blades is going be a pacifist making a nation of similar minded people. While one can argue that a pacifist can still be a villain or morally in the wrong that's just a huge change from what the canon has. The roving bands of warforge will be warforge unwilling to live that type of life and so are denied access to the new city.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

100%, but you should be upfront about major tonal and canon changes so the players aren't buying into something they didn't expect.

If I'm signing up for a Star Wars game and it's set in a timeline where Luke accepts Vader's offer at the end of Empire Strikes Back, I'd like to know first.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post
    100%, but you should be upfront about major tonal and canon changes so the players aren't buying into something they didn't expect.

If I'm signing up for a Star Wars game and it's set in a timeline where Luke accepts Vader's offer at the end of Empire Strikes Back, I'd like to know first.
    Fair. I'm not sure this change changes the tone if the entire campaign as this is a plot point they can realistically go the entire campaign without meeting the lord of blades or trying to figure out the mourning.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

One of my characters is a warforged who is displeased with the ban on the creation of new warforged. He believes that, as living beings, they ought to be able to spread their kin. Having been transported to Toril (I was new to D&D and did not realize that Faerūn and Khorvaire were on different planets), he has been trying to create a forge.

When I later read about the Lord of Blades, I was like "Oh wow, ouch, my character could easily go down that path, eh?" But conversely, I can totally imagine a good or neutral version of the Lord of Blades.