New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Media you just can't get into or can't get into a second time around.

As the title says, What is a piece of media you have tried, earnestly to get into but just can't?

For me it's DUNE. I must've read the first 2/3rds of the first book about 4 times since 2008 and I just can't get past it. I think it's because Frank Herbert hams his various themes so heavily and with such a blunt, heavy hand that by the 132nd time Paul muses on the cruelty of Arrakis and Baron Harkonen I just get exhausted.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: Media you just can't get into or can't get into a second time around.

I don't know that I'd say I've tried super hard, but despite having seen 8 or 9 episodes and honestly enjoying them, I've never been able to get terribly excited about Doctor Who. All signs say I should be really into it, but I just never got any impulse to go out of my way to see more.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Media you just can't get into or can't get into a second time around.

The films of Bong Joon-ho. My friends love them, and it seems like they should be stuff I take to, but I've seen the Host, Snowpiercer and Okja and haven't liked a single one of his films. Parasite looks interesting, but I'm not sure it's worth trying at this point.

I'd also pick the Fire Emblem series in the games section. I love turn based tactics games, and there's nothing specific in how they play that I object to, but I've tried four games in the series now and can't muster the enthusiasm to finish one. And I'm usually a stickler for completing games I start.

I was also not a fan of Doctor Who at all for the longest time. I've warmed to it since, but the problem from my view is even though there are some absolutely fantastic episodes, it seems like I have to wade through a lot of bad to decent episodes to get there. I have a hard time mustering enthusiasm to watch a new season or continue catching up on the classic era.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

The main one that comes to mind for me is Guilty Gear. By all rights, I should love that series - I love basically every other fighting game made by ArcSystem Works, and it's the grandaddy of them all, and has all the same elements I love from their other games. But when I did try it with Guilty Gear Xrd, for some reason I just was not able to find a character that I really meshed with and enjoyed playing. I tried Ramlethal for a bit, but wound up more frustrated than anything trying to make her work. I could play Ky, but didn't really want to, as I'd burned out on his play style a while back playing Jin in BlazBlue. I kind of wanted to play May because she's so goofy, but she's a charge character, and I can't play those in a real match to save my life. And of the rest, I just couldn't find anybody that appealed to me and felt right when I tried to play them. Which is really weird since I usually have the opposite problem of too many characters that I want to play in other ArcSys games.

In a similar vein to what Grey Watcher said about Doctor Who, I could maybe add Star Trek for myself. I actually did watch all of The Next Generation, plus the one movie from it that I heard was good (First Contact), and enjoyed it on the whole, but it strangely left me with no desire to check out other Star Trek series. I don't know, maybe I just got more attached to the characters than the setting or something.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2020-01-15 at 10:15 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

mainline comic books.

I've read Watchmen, Superman Red Son, some of Transmetropolitan and liked all of those, but when I try to read any of the main comics of any superhero, its always meh to me. like I read an entire deadpool omnibus and I like deadpool, but none of it felt......I dunno, I just didn't feel anything from it, it just didn't grab me. I like the idea of the superheroes but it seems whenever I grab a comic off the shelf its just not as good as I expect and I just can't get into it.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah, I can't get into serialized comics either. My friends usually try to hand me some issues of something, along with "come on, Batman is cool, and you don't need to know anything about the world to read this one" and then... characters show up that you're expected to know already without explanation, and everything ties into some other story you're never going to read, and nothing is properly resolved and just everything drags on forever.

And I'll agree on Star Trek. By all means, I should love it. I like both hard sci fi, soft sci fi and pure space opera. I like talky shows. I have a very high tolerance for slow pacing. I like Patrick Stewart. I like a lot of stuff that is in Star Trek. But whenever I try to watch the odd episode, it's just... not very good. Or not as good as I feel it should be, perhaps?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

TV.

It's cringe-making.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    TV.

It's cringe-making.
    Anymore, yeah. There was a time that I loved so many different shows, but now I'm left wondering: do they only make garbage now, or did I outgrow the medium?

I'm wholly averse to anything with zombies. I'm just tired of them. They've been into everything for more than a decade, and I had my fill long ago. There's nothing compelling, no new lore, and they've never really been scary.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Spamalot in the Playground

For me it's 90s and early 2000s comedy. Stuff like Friends, Family Guy, and Seinfeld that just did not age well, no matter how much I thought I enjoyed them at the time. Even Futurama is showing some scuff marks, thought not nearly as bad as the first three.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

3 years ago I had an opportunity to start reading Hellsing. I think I read the first four or five books, but they really were not good.

I also read the first One Punch Man, which bored me.

Oh, and I guess you could say Disney Star Wars. I sat through three movies until I told my family to please stop buying tickets for me without asking.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

11. - Top - End - #11

I'm usually not the type to spend much time thinking about things I don't like. That said, there are things that I really WANT to like, or feel like I should like, but just don't.

Adventure Time - fun fantasy cartoon that just sets my teeth on edge. I've tried a bunch of times, even had friends recommend episodes they thought I'd like. I just can't, and I'm not certain why. Even the ukelele theme makes me cringe a little.

Dresden Files - look, I love urban fantasy. Charles de Lint is easily one of my favorite writers ever. I liked the tv series by the end (the first few episodes were clunky at best, but it eventually found it's rhythm). I made it through the first three books. I've been told that the series gets better, and I've certainly read and enjoyed trashier (any given D&D novel, for example), but I have just not been compelled to get the next one. Or ever re-read them, which is very unusual for me.

The films of the Coen Brothers - with the exception of No Country For Old Men, every time I watch a Coen Brothers film, I am struck by how well done and downright brilliant the movie is....and I hate it. I often even like all the elements going into a Coen Brothers film. On paper, O Brother Where Art Thou should be my favorite film ever (as someone who obsessively digs traditional music and folklore, with more than a passing knowledge of the Odyssey). There are moments I like, but for the most part, they taught me that quality and taste are different things and I can dislike things that I think are brilliant (and love things I think are trash).

Depeche Mode - I love electronic music. I love synthpop. I love dark electronic music. I love passionate music with soulful singers. As a goth, DM is sort of required reading, and when Violator came out I LOVED the singles. Bought a few albums. Spent years thinking I was a fan, despite the fact that I only really liked a couple songs on each. Erasure is one of my favorite bands, DM had Vince Clarke to start with! Why aren't I the biggest DM fan ever? I still like a couple of their songs, but for the most part, I have accepted that I just don't like them. Mind you, when they inevitably drop in the goth club I'm dancing at, they won't chase me off the floor. But I won't coming running to the floor when I hear them either.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hagashager View Post
    As the title says, What is a piece of media you have tried, earnestly to get into but just can't?

For me it's DUNE. I must've read the first 2/3rds of the first book about 4 times since 2008 and I just can't get past it. I think it's because Frank Herbert hams his various themes so heavily and with such a blunt, heavy hand that by the 132nd time Paul muses on the cruelty of Arrakis and Baron Harkonen I just get exhausted.
    In fairness, Baron Harkonen is...not subtle with villany. I liked the original Dune(but feel like at this point, his progeny have mined the concept to death). Still, it's a fair criticism.

For me, it's the Dark Tower series. That first book just drags. I've tried like three times.

Dr Who, I got into for a bit, then fell back out of it. There are good episodes, and even good runs, but the show as a whole is highly inconsistent. Not even a flaw, really, it's just an acknowledged part of the show. Even the biggest fan would acknowledge good and bad episodes, I think.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Distopic sci-fi. With Dark Matter being the exception, every time I try I get bored or miserable and stop watching. I didn't get past 20 minutes watching the first episode of Firefly. Ditto The Expanse. New Star Trek, never after the first movie. Never touched Discovery. I'm not jumping to get CBS access for Picard. Speaking of Dark Matter, it was the loss of memory trope that I was interested in. It was no surprise to me that once they solved the mystery of the memory loss and just dealt with the distopia universe they built, i.e. the last season, I gradually lost interest and stopped watching. Negan made The Walking Dead not fun anymore. It's why I was hating on Flash with The Thinker season. They lose in every episode.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Oddly enough. Naruto. I can remember liking the show in High School. I recently tried to give it a re-watch and it's just..... Terrible.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Much as it pains me to say it, MST3K. I adore them for what they're trying to do, but the movies just suck too much! I can't stand them!
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

How I Met Your Mother and Game of Thrones.

Great series that I loved when they were airing.

IMPOSSIBLE to go back and rewatch now because I know the black hole of an ending that awaits me. Ruins the entire show

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post

IMPOSSIBLE to go back and rewatch now because I know the black hole of an ending that awaits me. Ruins the entire show
    Sadly, ditto. I can watch a Friends rerun easy peasy. Mother, no way. What the heck were they thinking? We wanted the sappy happy ending. It was appropriate to have the sappy happy ending. Not everything needs to be edgy or shocking. They ruined the show.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    Sadly, ditto. I can watch a Friends rerun easy peasy. Mother, no way. What the heck were they thinking? We wanted the sappy happy ending. It was appropriate to have the sappy happy ending. Not everything needs to be edgy or shocking. They ruined the show.
    Sure but Friends was a different animal. Some of the plot threads that ran throughout some of the later season were pretty cancer, but at the end it stuck to it's core premise - 'Friends'.

How I Met Your Mother is literally the entire premise of the show. It's the single plot thread that runs through the entire show. They turned it into, "How I Met Your Mother And Then She Died Off Screen So I Could Bang Robin After Her Divorce". They invalidated years of character development for most of their main characters just because they wanted to stick to an ending they taped 8 years before.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2020-01-17 at 10:55 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

A Game of Thrones (The book...) - a hugely annoying instance as the book should have hit every one of my buttons (well written, decently thought out world, interesting characters) but somehow failed to engage me at almost any level. I forced myself to read the first third or so of the book, then looked ahead to see Viserys get his comeuppance and put the book in the Charity Shop pile.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Ah... Indeed. They are perfect examples of how a ****ty ending (or sequel) can be so awful it retroactively ruins the whole franchise.

GoT went from a series I wanted to recommend to everyone to something I absolutely despise and advise everyone to stay away from.

But, hey! Maybe we'll have a better ending in the books... By 2056. Written by someone using using notes GRRM left behind before dying.
    Homebrew Stuff:

21. - Top - End - #21

Get into hmm I don't really try stuff for long if I don't like it. There are some I tried to give a chance I suppose like I think I finished the first books for the the magicians and the black company. And I never got into TTGL despite giving it 9 episodes or so.

I also usually don't reread but there is one I liked quite a bit and have started rereading but never finished a second time, Tads Williams Osten Ard. The beginning is a bit slow if you already know it and 4 1000 page books are just a lot. I mean I have read much longer stuff but on a reread it is harder.

22. - Top - End - #22

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    I never got into TTGL despite giving it 9 episodes or so.
    That's the exact amount of episodes needed to determine you'll never get into TTGL. Rock solid diagnosis.

(...I guess having an adult life, therefore, bars those who aren't in it for the fanservice from ever finding out for sure. Troubling design flaw.)

For me, Terry Pratchett. Everyone I love recommends him for reasons I should, on the face of it, like very much, but every time I actually try to read one of his books...
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    Ah... Indeed. They are perfect examples of how a ****ty ending (or sequel) can be so awful it retroactively ruins the whole franchise.

GoT went from a series I wanted to recommend to everyone to something I absolutely despise and advise everyone to stay away from.

But, hey! Maybe we'll have a better ending in the books... By 2056. Written by someone using using notes GRRM left behind before dying.
    Hey Brandon Sanderson did a respectable job with The Wheel of Time. Maybe he's available after GRRM finally kicks it?

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Judge Judy. I tried to watch a few episodes and she's very abusive as heck. So I stop watching her show.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post

Dresden Files - look, I love urban fantasy. Charles de Lint is easily one of my favorite writers ever. I liked the tv series by the end (the first few episodes were clunky at best, but it eventually found it's rhythm). I made it through the first three books. I've been told that the series gets better, and I've certainly read and enjoyed trashier (any given D&D novel, for example), but I have just not been compelled to get the next one. Or ever re-read them, which is very unusual for me.
    Well, onmce upon a time in the early 000s a friend lent me the first 2 books....and I simply found them horribly boring.

Didnt touch the series again until the time Small Favour came oue (2008(9?) when I found books 4 to 7 lying in a bin for misürints (the books switched the type of letters from regular to something like Arial in the middle, nothing else damaged).

And been a fan ever since.

My suggestion is: if a witty, mouthy main character in urban Fantasy is not something that puts you off altogether, to jsut get book 4 and read it. It will mayhap do the same thing as it did for me. :)

Afterwards I even got book 3 as there haüppen some things with HUGE implications for alter books, but even now being a fan I never found books 1 and 2 to be mroe than a proof of concept with little risk. ^^

As for the thread. for me its Rick and Morty.
    Memeworthy. Some really mindboggling things, all stuff I should like, but the style and the progression really make me simply not enjoy it at all.

Also, Supergirl.

Could have been glorious. Was shallow "girly" stuff with incredibly stupid main characters (Barry Allen is no longer the Dumbest Man alive^^). Makes me sleepy every time its on though, so its very good to get to bed if I have to get up really early ^^
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Pretty much any CW super-hero show other than Arrow (seasons 1 and 2) and Flash (season 1)... But that's because everything else they made ranges from slightly below mediocre to full-on cringe-worthy garbage.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2020-01-18 at 10:19 PM. Reason: typos.
    Homebrew Stuff:

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Hey Brandon Sanderson did a respectable job with The Wheel of Time. Maybe he's available after GRRM finally kicks it?
    Won't happen. Brandon has gone on record saying he believes that GRRM is a fantastic writer and gives a list of things he thinks GRRM does better than him, but always ends that he put down GoT and vowed not to read any of his other books because he was "too mean to his characters."

Anyway, for me it's anything by David Eddings. The Belgariad was a crucial part of my childhood, it's what got me into the fantasy genre in the first place. I can still remember the characters, their interactions, and how fun I thought it was. Then as an adult I picked up the first one again, read a few pages and just though "You know what? This isn't as good as I remember and I just don't want to tarnish something I hold so dear."

Things I just can't get into, honestly most serialized anime that's introduced to me. So far the only ones I've been able to sit through have been Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and Cowboy Bebop. Partially because my sense of humor and apparently Japan's sense of humor are rarely intertwined (no switching to a weird childish art style isn't funny, nor is ridiculous overreaction, nor is the strangely ubiquitous pervert character), but largely because of how annoying I find a lot of anime narrated. In almost every one I watch there's this cadence to action that I find absolutely annoying beyond belief.

Character does action. We see character do action. We switch to a different character who gawks at the action. Then we get an explanation for the action followed by more gawking.

Yes. I know. I saw it. You don't have to stop the action to explain it to me. Just let me watch.

Shut up Roshi. Shut up Krillin. Shut up everyone in Naruto. Shut up Genos. Just shut up!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    TV.

It's cringe-making.
    I wish I could convince my wife of this.
    She loves TV.
    She watches it constantly. We DVR a lot of shows and invariably when I come home form work she often leads with, "Wanna watch something off the DVR tonight?"
    My natural instinct is to say No, but in order to maintain a happiness I allow her to pick something.
    She goes to sleep with the TV on, I don't go to sleep until it goes off an hour after she curls in. I no longer go to bed with her since I know I'll just lay awake wishing I could be thinking about anything else in the world than whatever drek is yammering away from the TV.

TV is mind-numbing.

29. - Top - End - #29

Planetar

Media I've tried to get into but just can't ? When it comes to different media (books, movies, tv-shows, comics, games, etc.), I would say... almost none.

Whenever I'm looking for new books, movies, comics, games, tv-shows or whatever, or thinking about trying a new one, I usually have done some research and read and/or heard about it or I will actively do so if I haven't. I like to think I have a surprisingly broad range when it comes to the type of fictional stories I enjoy and I'm willing to cut new stuff a lot of slack. While I'm very keen to try new things, I'm also good at guessing if a given work is something I'd enjoy, just based on creators, plot and setting synopsis, reviews (a real review, written with thought behind it, any numerical score is ultimately meaningless) and metaknowledge like that. Of course, I might, on a whim, watch a film that was lying around near me but that is not a huge investment of time. And that is why I do research: time. There's only a limited amount of time and I'd rather try something good. Heck, I even find the research process more enjoyable than watching, reading or playing something I find dull or of low quality.

So, if I'm reading, watching or playing something, there is a very good chance I end up liking it or at least find something worth my while and I'm able to finish it.

However, if something were to be so uninteresting that I'm unable to wade through it, I would just drop it and never look back. Nothing immediately comes to mind because I've practiced the above "research first"-approach for at least a decade and a half.
    Don't tell anyone but the only thing that leaps to mind is this literature course where the objective was to read well over a handful of different novels and write and present reviews about them. I may or may not have dismissed one of the assigned books, a stereotypical bulk romance novel, just after a couple dozen pages but still written (a still accurate) review that criticized its unoriginality. Of course, I didn't exactly choose to read that book and I would never have on my own and I have no interest to revisit it.

I guess Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones might, kind of, count. I remember when people hyped the books before the tv-show. People have hyped the tv-show. Friends, acquaintances and stragers talk about it a lot. I've played the Game of Thrones-strategy board game more times than many actual fans. I'm generally interested of it because enjoy fantasy as a setting in general, ranging from idealist high fantasy to dark and gritty fantasy. I also like history and enjoy when fictional settings have its own fictional history. I already know quite a bit about this fictional world via osmosis, especially when it comes to the grand scale.
    However, I've never felt an actual, strong desire to start reading the books or even watching the tv-show and I've never even attempted either. I don't know, I guess as a whole, SoI&F/GoT doesn't really catch my interest?
    Idealist (D&D-style) high fantasy is interesting precisely because it's so different from Real World Issues And Stuff(tm).
    Dark and gritty fantasy is more interesting when it's about, I dunno, traveling swordsmen on desperate adventures and fighting a more realistic and scary take on monsters. Witcher-short stories or Conan-esque stories are a good example.
    When it comes to stories about war in a fantasy world, I prefer that they are about warrior-generals and warlords who really wage war and not about glorified corrupt politicians and poisonous schemers who have way more in common with Grima Wormtongue than with Aragorn. No wonder I've always liked to play miniature games.
    tl;dr: I've thought it would be neat to know more about SoI&F/GoT because it's such a common topic but I don't feel like committing the time to read or watch it because the setting doesn't really catch my personal interest.
    Signatures are so 90's.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Getting into, A Song of Ice and Fire. Read to the fourth book, just felt way too oppressive. It's also got that Soap Opera style of writing where they push characters to the top of the pile only to pull the Jenga bricks in on them for the tragedy/irony... and then repeat the process. Which made it fairly predictable to me despite all the "it's not like all those books with plot shield'ed characters" or "it's gritty and realistic" and so on. Plus I guess I don't like gritty depictions of people in pain and misery all that much.

As to getting back into something, probably Gundam Seed. I enjoyed Gundam Seed when it first aired, I think it's still watchable if significantly flawed in several areas -- well, the HD remake is, the original SD version is visually unattractive by today's standard. The mech action's generally quite fun and the BGM's awesome, most of the first half is competently done story-wise as well.

Once Seed Destiny hit however, it just evaporated my tolerance for the Cosmic Era flaws as an AU. The already moustache twirling puppy-kicking Earth Alliance became even more one-dimensional evilly evil, the ZAFT people are yet again harbouring secret villainous plans of villainy in what often feels like an inept measure by the writer to balance the moral scales between their side and literal genocidal monsters, and they even went to the trouble of introducing a new protagonist just to deprive him of any real character arc and instead turn him into a straight puppet to the main-ish villain and hand back the reigns of the series to the original Seed protagonist. Who, naturally, ascended to even further heights of Mary Sue-dom as the unstoppable Saviour of the Universe beating whole armies almost single-handedly.

After that, trying to see any nuance in the setting became exceedingly difficult. It became clear that it's just a sandbox for the power-fantasy MC to romp about in. Most of what I liked about Seed is just the stuff they took from Mobile Suit Gundam, while everything they added to the universe ranges from meh to eye-rolling.

What's worse, in retrospect, they did a very similar main character in Turn A Gundam that preceded it - a young pacifist who wants to protect the lives of both sides of a conflict that he's forced to participate in - but it was just so much better at accomplishing that. Both sides could be sympathized with such that the sense of tragedy of the war between them was pretty well realized, and the main character really had to struggle in both his moral choices and fights which gave him a great deal more pathos especially when he failed.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2020-01-19 at 08:08 AM.