New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default 5th DLC Smash character revealed-Byleth!!!

Reveal Trailer.

Spoiler
    Show

Me: Damn, another anime swordperson...

Byleth: (gets zerg rushed by all the other anime sword people in Smash).

Sothis: Too many anime swordperson in Smash already you say? Fiiinnnee...

Me: Full weapon triangle square with sword+axe+spear+bow? YYYYEEEEESSSSS!!!!!

Heh, after the wildest speculations about who the 5th character would be, from obscure to non-Nintendo franchises, Sakurai falls for his Fire Emblem love again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 5th DLC Smash character revealed-Byleth!!!

I don't even have a Switch and I'm vicariously salty over this.

At least there's some decent funny images about it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I am very happy about this one. Very surprised, since everyone else in the Fighter Pass was a third-party guest, and I expected, since we were told everyone for that was decided before the game came out, that if Byleth got added it would be in the second DLC wave, but still, very happy.

They did a damn good job on her, too. Byleth's the best FE protagonist to incorporate such a variety of weapons with, since not only can you pretty freely class-change in Three Houses, but you can use any weapon regardless of what class you're in. (Though it's a touch ironic that Byleth actually shouldn't be able to use the Relics specifically, other than the Sword of the Creator, due to not having the right Crests, but eh, it's cooler to give her the house leads' special weapons than just any random lance, axe, and bow.) The alternate color schemes are just perfect too - default male and female, story-based alternate look for each, plus alts for each house leader and Sothis; I love them all. I'll probably use the Edelgard and Claude colors a lot in particular. And my gods, the stage is fantastic. I've always loved Delphino Plaza style stages that move you between different parts, and Garreg Mach was a great one to do that way.

I do find myself in the awkward position of kind of regretting not buying the full pass, though. In the end, I'll wind up buying four of the five characters individually, since everyone but Terry was someone I'm a fan of. While I technically save money doing so, I could have had Terry for effectively just a dollar if I'd bought the pass, which would be worth it to have his stage and try him and see if I like how he plays despite having no attachment to him as a character. But that seemed so unlikely when the DLC was first announced, given I was only interested in about half of the Smash 4 DLC, and since they don't announce things much in advance I really can't make an informed decision on whether the full pass is worth it or not until much too late.

Speaking of though, six more characters for the next pass, awesome. My one hope at this point is Dante, really want him for the Dante vs Bayonetta dream fight. If I were the betting type, I'd wager we'll see Waluigi in there, after the stink was raised over him before the game came out. I kind of want to hope for other assist trophy promotions too (particularly Isaac), but feel like I have to expect mostly more third-party guests, given how the first Fighter Pass went.

Also, I'm not the only one who thinks it's weird that the Assassin's Creed Mii outfit we got was Altair rather than Ezio, right? I half wonder whether that might mean that Ezio is on the docket for Fighter Pass 2... except then I'm not sure why they wouldn't save the Altair costume to release with him, so eh, maybe just a weird choice.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2020-01-16 at 08:14 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

So I'm mixed on this. On the one hand, Byleth is a really cool character and the Sword of the Creator could have been cool enough for a complete moveset. Incorporating the three Relics of the secondary main characters is a nice touch however and they're at least really visually distinct and flashy. I think it's a little boring to just give Byleth a bow but I really won't be able to make a judgment until I get to play them in two weeks. I'm excited enough that I'm looking forward to playing with them though.

On the other hand. Why no Edelgard as a character? Her time skip outfit would have been glorious and she's a great character. Easily the standout from the early impressions of Three Houses and even though it seems Claude and the Golden Deer (my precious students) got more popular over time Edelgard was still pretty clearly a favorite with fans. It just made sense to have her if they were going to pick one of the three House Leaders. Byleth just feels like the safe, boring choice.

On the other other hand...another Fire Emblem character? Really? We get all these cool and exciting characters from games that have gone on to become cult classics and you're going to give us another Fire Emblem character to fill out the roster? Again, it just feels too safe and too stock standard of a choice to have made. If we got Byleth or Eddie in the second round of DLC characters I'd be singing a separate tune but we didn't. Way to punt, Sakurai.

Getting someone else's hands now. I am sure glad we didn't get Steve, from Minecraft. I've been accused elsewhere of "gatekeeping" for thinking Minecraft doesn't really belong in Smash...but whatever. I stand by it and it'd be lame to see Steve in the game. I feel the same way about Fortnite and Doom's inclusion. Minecraft and Fortnite shouldn't get in just by merit that they're popular.

Sad we didn't get Lloyd Irving or Sora. Super, duper, especially sad we didn't get Waluigi.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't particularly care for FE. Nothing against the series other then it just never managed to grab me, so yet another series rep deflated my enthusiasm towards the announcement.

Especially since it would've been a chance to bring in the likes of classic characters like Dante, Crash Bandicoot, Sub Zero, Doomguy, Master Cheif, Jin Kazama, etc... or the meme choices of Minecraft Steve, Sora, Fortnite Jonesy, Gordon Freeman, Geno, Waluigi, etc...

but I fully understand the list of candidates was made and set long ago so they could get the legal rights all in a row.

Skillset looks neat though and I'll definitely give the new character a whirl, I trust Sakurai and co. to have put the effort into at least making the character interesting and fun to play, even if I don't care for them.

Onto Season Pass 2 though!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Cheese and crackers! Just how many fighters does this game even have?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

82 if you include Blyeth, but that does include "echo" characters with similar but still slightly different movesets, like simon/richter belmont, samus/dark samus, ryu/ken or peach/daisy.

list of characters borrows from not just Nintendo's roster, but the likes of Cloud Strife, Solid Snake, Bayonetta & Ryu/Ken and season pass 1 additions Persona 5's Joker, Banjo&Kazooie, Dragon Warrior XI's Luminary & Terry Bogard.

Then you have the various optional mii swordsmen/gunner/brawler outfits that directly reference and shoutout to characters like Xenoblade's Rex, the Rabbids, Cuphead or SansUnderstale off the top of my head.

6 more unknown characters are planned to be released before Dec 2021, so one every 4ish month or so.

Each character pack also adds a stage that represents their series and some extra music tracks.

I dunno who said it but Smash Bros is basically "Videogames: the videogame".

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I don't even have a Switch and I'm vicariously salty over this.

At least there's some decent funny images about it.

Haha, hilarious!

I'm not particularly excited. Ike's been my main since Brawl (before that, Sheik+Ganondorf). Don't see that changing. Not that it's all about mains, of course.

I did like how she was like too many swordsman? Then busted out other weapons.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by oxybe View Post
    82 if you include Blyeth, but that does include "echo" characters with similar but still slightly different movesets, like simon/richter belmont, samus/dark samus, ryu/ken or peach/daisy.

list of characters borrows from not just Nintendo's roster, but the likes of Cloud Strife, Solid Snake, Bayonetta & Ryu/Ken and season pass 1 additions Persona 5's Joker, Banjo&Kazooie, Dragon Warrior XI's Luminary & Terry Bogard.

Then you have the various optional mii swordsmen/gunner/brawler outfits that directly reference and shoutout to characters like Xenoblade's Rex, the Rabbids, Cuphead or SansUnderstale off the top of my head.

6 more unknown characters are planned to be released before Dec 2021, so one every 4ish month or so.

Each character pack also adds a stage that represents their series and some extra music tracks.

That's makes it 88 fighters. But hey the more the merrier I guess.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait, 88 fighters total?

"Faithful... enlightened... ambitious... brethren.
    In but a single year, a few mere swipes of the pendulum, we have gathered a crossover to Khorne that will be made legend.
    Though it was a simpler, weaker voice that illuminated me during my years upon Nintendo...
    ...it was Khorne's messenger who showed me the true path of freedom from our pathetic fighting games scene.
    And what is this path? This meaning, this purpose to which we gather characters from every franchise?
    It is nothing. There is no meaning, no purpose. We fight. We score. It is mindless smashery, this UNIVERSE IS MINDLESS!
    In mere months, billions will be knocked off stage. Mario! Fire Emblem! Zelda! Metroid! Sony and Microsoft! Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest! Anime and Western!
    ALL of them!
    They will smash, they will reach 999% damage, and for no purpose but that mighty Khorne may revel in their knockouts!
    And united in this void of purpose, fear, or duty... we shall at long last be free!
    Smash for the Smash God!
    Swords for the Sword Throne!
    LET! THE UNIVERSE! GAME!"
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Wait, 88 fighters total?

"Faithful... enlightened... ambitious... brethren.
    In but a single year, a few mere swipes of the pendulum, we have gathered a crossover to Khorne that will be made legend.
    Though it was a simpler, weaker voice that illuminated me during my years upon Nintendo...
    ...it was Khorne's messenger who showed me the true path of freedom from our pathetic fighting games scene.
    And what is this path? This meaning, this purpose to which we gather characters from every franchise?
    It is nothing. There is no meaning, no purpose. We fight. We score. It is mindless smashery, this UNIVERSE IS MINDLESS!
    In mere months, billions will be knocked off stage. Mario! Fire Emblem! Zelda! Metroid! Sony and Microsoft! Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest! Anime and Western!
    ALL of them!
    They will smash, they will reach 999% damage, and for no purpose but that mighty Khorne may revel in their knockouts!
    And united in this void of purpose, fear, or duty... we shall at long last be free!
    Smash for the Smash God!
    Swords for the Sword Throne!
    LET! THE UNIVERSE! GAME!"
    Yes 88 fighters. I wouldn't be surprised if they added more characters than 88 fighters.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Haven't played Three Houses yet, so don't know much about the character itself, but the moveset seemed decently fun. Not a very surprising inclusion though, not sure if it was a smart move or not to have them as the last character of this season pass.

Wonder what the next six will be, I'd guess a Pokemon from Sword & Shield at least. Spyro and/or Crash might not be too far fetchd either, if they wanna include some third party characters. My personal wish is Doomguy, though I don't think that's very likely.

Also hoping that 2021 December is just a very cautious dealine, and they don't actually take 2 years to release all the characters

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

if they add a SwoShld pokemon rep it would probably either be Scorbunny or Inteleon, the first being a mobile soccer player who kicks fireballs at people and the other is a lizard who channels his inner YuYuHakusho. Rillaboom is not so much a fighter as someone who makes awesome drumming montages for youtube.

For 3rd party? Crash, Doomguy, Dante, Master Chief, someone to rep Resident Evil (Jill Valentine or Chris Redfield?). Are all viable not-fightgame guys with some impact or recent exposure. Sora, and a much lesser extent the memepicks of Fortnite Jonesy, Gordon Freeman or Minecraft Steve have something they could possibly add.

Sub-Zero, Jin Kazama, Fulgore, Sol Badguy, or other fightgame reps might be interesting. Go crazy and bring out Blitztank as a playable, throw everyone for a bigger loop then when Piranha Plant was announced. Go indie and grab a Skullgirl, one of the Rivals of Ether characters, or someone from that "totally not a repurposed MLP fightgame" Fighting Herds.

Dig deep into the classic gaming vault and bring back Master Blaster, Frogger, a Battletoad...

or the gaming industry's "i guess everyone can use him?" longshot free-to-use nobody: The Baz.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

We need Homer Simpson for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Cheese and crackers! Just how many fighters does this game even have?
    Yeah, really depends on how you count them. Officially, Byleth is #75, but if you include the echoes that are officially numbered with their original's number and an "E" you get an additional 7, for a total of 82. That numbering does also count the Pokémon Trainer trio of Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard as three though, so if you count them as one (since the Trainer is forced to change Pokémon at a minimum when they lose a stock), the number drops to 80; and some people might want to leave off the echoes who are so close they're basically just alternate skins, which would be Dark Samus, Daisy, and Richter.

Officially though, yeah, 75 or 82, depending on whether you count the official echoes or not.

That would be Maximilian Dood, the biggest fighting game streamer/youtuber.

Quote Originally Posted by Majin View Post
    [Byleth was] Not a very surprising inclusion though, not sure if it was a smart move or not to have them as the last character of this season pass.
    Well, I think for most people Byleth was actually very surprising, in that nobody thought they'd be in the first Fighter Pass at all. After Joker was revealed Reggie made comments that he was a taste of the kind of characters we'd be seeing, so that seemed like a strong indication that they'd all be 3rd-party guests. And every other character so far was, so, nobody had any reason to expect otherwise for the fifth. Byleth was a candidate for the second wave of DLC, but not the first, in most peoples' minds.

Actually, I kind of wonder if maybe Byleth wasn't originally going to be the fifth of the first Fighter Pass? Perhaps someone else was slated for that, and Byleth was on the list for Fighter Pass 2 after they decided to do that, but there was some reason it was decided to be better to wait for later for the original fifth, so Byleth got moved up instead? Because yeah, the timing is strange if Byleth was always set for the first Pass. Why not make Byleth the second or third release instead of the Hero or Banjo, to coincide better with the release of Three Houses itself? Why save the one first-party character in the Pass for last, when they'd really be ticking people off if they were actually the last DLC character the game was getting at all, and they went into it expecting another guest character? That part doesn't make a lot of sense as-is.

Wonder what the next six will be, I'd guess a Pokemon from Sword & Shield at least.
    Is there a particular Pokémon from those that stands out as very popular? I wouldn't assume they'll just throw in a new Pokémon just because the new games came out, they haven't done one from every generation or anything. There's always been a new Pokémon when an entirely new game releases, but DLC isn't a whole new game.

Also hoping that 2021 December is just a very cautious dealine, and they don't actually take 2 years to release all the characters
    I could totally see them doing that. That would let them space things out to one character released every four months, which doesn't seem unreasonable, and might be a better pace for the people working on it.

someone to rep Resident Evil (Jill Valentine or Chris Redfield?).
    Didn't they add a bunch of Resident Evil spirits not too long ago? I would tend to think that if they're doing that, the series isn't on the list for DLC, since DLC always comes with a bunch of spirits for the series in question.

Sub-Zero, Jin Kazama, Fulgore, Sol Badguy, or other fightgame reps might be interesting. Go crazy and bring out Blitztank as a playable, throw everyone for a bigger loop then when Piranha Plant was announced.
    I would go nuts if by some miracle we got Ragna the Bloodedge from BlazBlue, and I don't even play him in BlazBlue itself. Sol as his counterpart from Guilty Gear would be awesome too, even though I've never much gotten into Guilty Gear. Sub-Zero might be just cool enough that I'd get him despite not liking Mortal Kombat itself, too.

And the mention of Blitztank made me briefly want to bring up Ruby, but then I remembered that she's not actually a video game character, even if BBTag was my first exposure to RWBY. Ah well, I've always got my Yang Mii Brawler.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

I think if we're going to get a Gen VIII pokemon rep, it's gonna be Cinderace. Cinderace is clearly the easiest of the starters to turn into a fighter, and it's visually appealing enough. There's nothing in Gen VIII as good as Lucario, so the starters are a good bet. Grooky's got that obnoxiously large drum which just will not work in Smash, and Inteleon looks too much like Greninja.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    That would be Maximilian Dood, the biggest fighting game streamer/youtuber.
    Would not surprise me the slightest I took this from Max, as I do sub to him on YT and follow on Twitch.

Also, I'd be down for some Ragna as BlazBlue rep.

Maybe really dig into the older unused Capcom IPs and get some Jon Talbain for Darkstalker rep or Batsu from Rival Schools.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    I think if we're going to get a Gen VIII pokemon rep, it's gonna be Cinderace. Cinderace is clearly the easiest of the starters to turn into a fighter, and it's visually appealing enough. There's nothing in Gen VIII as good as Lucario, so the starters are a good bet. Grooky's got that obnoxiously large drum which just will not work in Smash, and Inteleon looks too much like Greninja.
    As much as I'd like to see Rillaboom and come in to complete the Water/Fire/Grass cycle, I think Urshifu from the DLC is going to be a low enough hanging fruit to grab on.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I think it's going to take a very long time to make the official Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Tier List since more DLC fighters are coming out.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Just give me my boi Rex in the end 2nd pass. Byleth's game came a year later already so no more excuse to not include him.

Mythra/Pyra would be perfectly acceptable too.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Spamalot in the Playground

Nice to hear that Fire Emblem Dissidia got another update

*shrugs in MUGEN*
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post

*shrugs in MUGEN*
    Homer Simpson is the bomb in Mugen.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

2nd Fighter's Pass preview:

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

I love SaltyBet as much as the next guy but at least Smash makes a token effort at balancing vs the unrestrained wild west in space chaos that is MUGEN.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Nah, the last DLC for that dropped almost two years ago. Hopefully it'll get a sequel someday, though. And hopefully not one that just adds Three Houses content - still needs Ike.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Well, I think for most people Byleth was actually very surprising, in that nobody thought they'd be in the first Fighter Pass at all. After Joker was revealed Reggie made comments that he was a taste of the kind of characters we'd be seeing, so that seemed like a strong indication that they'd all be 3rd-party guests. And every other character so far was, so, nobody had any reason to expect otherwise for the fifth. Byleth was a candidate for the second wave of DLC, but not the first, in most peoples' minds.

Actually, I kind of wonder if maybe Byleth wasn't originally going to be the fifth of the first Fighter Pass? Perhaps someone else was slated for that, and Byleth was on the list for Fighter Pass 2 after they decided to do that, but there was some reason it was decided to be better to wait for later for the original fifth, so Byleth got moved up instead? Because yeah, the timing is strange if Byleth was always set for the first Pass. Why not make Byleth the second or third release instead of the Hero or Banjo, to coincide better with the release of Three Houses itself? Why save the one first-party character in the Pass for last, when they'd really be ticking people off if they were actually the last DLC character the game was getting at all, and they went into it expecting another guest character? That part doesn't make a lot of sense as-is.
    Mmh, I suppose I hadn't really speculated much beforehand, but with that statement in mind, I suppose they'd be a surprising pick, since it's not a 3rd party character like the other fighters in the fighter pass. Was just thinking that a new FE character wasn't very surprising, since we've already have the protags of the two previous games (counting Robin as a protagonist).

Could be the order was changed, depending on when they decided to have the 2nd pass. If the 5th fighter was the last, I suppose they'd have someone more 'exciting', and had Byleth earlier. Wonder if they're going to reveal the next one when Byleth is released next week, when the pass becomes available for purchase.

Is there a particular Pokémon from those that stands out as very popular? I wouldn't assume they'll just throw in a new Pokémon just because the new games came out, they haven't done one from every generation or anything. There's always been a new Pokémon when an entirely new game releases, but DLC isn't a whole new game.
    My bet would be Inteleon or Cinderace. Perhaps Cinderace is the likeliest, since like tonberrian said, Inteleon looks a little too much like Greninja. Could be one of the legendaries as well, not sure if there's any other Pokemon that's really stood out. Galarian Farfetch'd or Sirfetch'd could be fun, I liked both designs, even if the latter was a bit silly. Not saying a new Pokemon will be added, just thinking it's a likely pick, with it being a popular franchise and all.

I could totally see them doing that. That would let them space things out to one character released every four months, which doesn't seem unreasonable, and might be a better pace for the people working on it.
    When you put it that way, a new character every four months isn't too bad, though 31st December does feel like placeholder date to me, so I think/hope everyone will be out sooner than that. Depends how much resources they want to allocate for this, and how much progress they've already made, I suppose.