New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Farewell, Christopher Tolkien

Christopher Tolkien died in the night between 15th -16th January.

While he seemingly strove not to become a public figure, he was well known to Tolkien fans for his work in collating his father's unpublished pages, as well as an early mapper of Middle-Earth.

There also are tales about him, some of them reliable (that he was a RAF pilot in WW2), some of them less so (that he kept wild boars in his garden in France to discourage the curious).

From my point of view, he was something of a link between his father and the fans. Publishing something so many wished for -- the Silmarillion -- was probably a necessity to give us a full scope of the content of The Lord of the Rings.

So I am grateful for his work, and sad to hear he's gone.

Priscilla Tolkien is now the Professor's last living child.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Farewell, Christopher Tolkien

He has passed into the West.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I came here to post this. He did a masterful job managing his father's work, finishing and publishing the unfinished items, and protecting the IP*. Apparently he was also an excellent literary scholar and translator in his own right, as well. Both father and son's extensive literature background inspired and helped them in their work.

*I wish he'd been able to reign in Peter Jackson a bit more, especially with The Hobbit trilogy.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Always seemed like a class act, protecting his father's legacy without locking it all up or looking for quick cash-ins.

Don't think he could have done much about any of the films, his father had sold the rights long before. It was his stance that the family would have no official position on any of the adaptions to avoid the appearance of endorsement.

His History of Middle-Earth series was an absolutely fascinating look at the evolution of his father's writing.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Vinyadan
    Publishing something so many wished for -- the Silmarillion -- was probably a necessity to give us a full scope of the content of The Lord of the Rings.
    I first read the Silmarillion when I was a kid, not long after Lord of the Rings, and I’ve always loved it for that mythical, legendary quality.

It took me a long while to realize just how much effort Christopher Tolkien had put into it. I have yet to read his History of Middle-Earth books, since that’ll be a project just to read them, but now I’m feeling like it’s time.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

frown Re: Farewell, Christopher Tolkien

Christopher Tolkien really put in a lot of work making his father’s writings accessible to all of us and it’s something that has really improved Middle-earth for the better. I definitely need to actually get around to finishing the History of Middle-earth now.

Peelee’s Lotsey

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Another great Tolkien forever gone.

I am saddened a lot by this.

May we all cherish his work.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”