New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default So, how EXACTLY do critical hits work?

The rules say:

"When you score a critical hit, you get to roll extra dice for the attack's damage against the target. Roll all of the attack's damage dice twice and add them together. Then add any relevant modifiers as normal. To speed up play, you can roll all the damage dice at once.

For example, if you score a critical hit with a dagger, roll 2d4 for the damage, rather than 1d4, and then add your relevant ability modifier. If the attack involves other damage dice, such as from the rogue's Sneak Attack feature, you roll those dice twice as well."

So here's what I take away: any flat bonuses (such as your strength modifier, or the extra damage from Hexblade's Curse) are not doubled, but the quantity of dice is. In the quoted rule, it specifically says "..involves other damage dice, such as [but not limited to] from the rogue's Sneak Attack...".

So...what kinds of dice are affected? What if you crit with a flaming sword? Does the fire damage get rolled twice? And if the enemy you are hitting is afflicted with Elemental Bane, does that damage get multiplied too? What about Hex damage? What about Green-Flame Blade, or another weapon-attack spell? What if there is poison on the weapon? What about a class feature that adds extra dice, like the Fighter's Brute subclass? What if you're throwing a grenadelike weapon like Alchemist's Fire? Or alternatively, a lit bottle of oil, which does a flat 10 damage over 2 turns?

So to speak: what qualifies as "dice involved in the attack?"

Bonus: Is it actually written anywhere that spell attack rolls can't crit?
    Sometimes, I have strong opinions on seemingly inconsequential matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    Phhase he played four
    He played nick nack on my door
    With a nick nack paddy whack
    Give a dog a bone
    Phhase came rolling home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruenox View Post
    You found a way to backstab... with a ballista...

I want to play at your table.
    Spoiler: How to have a Good Idea
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Buy a lava lamp, it more than doubles the rate of good ideas :p
    Better yet, buy this lava lamp.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: So, how EXACTLY do critical hits work?

Quote Originally Posted by Phhase View Post
    So here's what I take away: any flat bonuses (such as your strength modifier, or the extra damage from Hexblade's Curse) are not doubled, but the quantity of dice is. In the quoted rule, it specifically says "..involves other damage dice, such as [but not limited to] from the rogue's Sneak Attack...".

So...what kinds of dice are affected? What if you crit with a flaming sword? Does the fire damage get rolled twice? And if the enemy you are hitting is afflicted with Elemental Bane, does that damage get multiplied too? What about Hex damage? What about Green-Flame Blade, or another weapon-attack spell? What if there is poison on the weapon? What about a class feature that adds extra dice, like the Fighter's Brute subclass? What if you're throwing a grenadelike weapon like Alchemist's Fire? Or alternatively, a lit bottle of oil, which does a flat 10 damage over 2 turns?

So to speak: what qualifies as "dice involved in the attack?"

Bonus: Is it actually written anywhere that spell attack rolls can't crit?
    Flame sword: yes
    Elemental bane: yes, if the damage that triggers it was an attack roll
    Hex:yes
    Gfb: the damage on hit, yes. But not the secondary damage
    Poison: this one is kind of a sticky question, since its not just damage on hit, it also requires a saving throw, but raw yes
    Battlemaster dice: yes
    Grenade: if its an attack roll and not a saving throw then it would double the dice on whoever you targetted with the attack, but aoe damage would not
    Alchemist fire: at no time is flat damage doubled on a crit
    Spell attacks: spell attacks can crit

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kazaryu View Post
    Poison: this one is kind of a sticky question, since its not just damage on hit, it also requires a saving throw, but raw yes
    The understanding that I've seen of RAW is that the effect of the attack is causing a saving throw, the effect of the poison/failing that saving throw is the damage, ergo not doubled by a critical.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot View Post
    The understanding that I've seen of RAW is that the effect of the attack is causing a saving throw, the effect of the poison/failing that saving throw is the damage, ergo not doubled by a critical.
    Yeah, thats also possible, i just havent looked into it.

If it came up at my table id probably have the target roll a nat 1 on the save, which is effectively an auto fail, but also means they may get that 5 lower than save effect that some poisons have. Just cuz that sounds like fun

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

What has always been unclear to me is what happens when a hit carries a saving throw effect for more dice of damage.

ex: poisoned longsword deals 1d8 slashing + a dc 12 con save for an extra 1d4 poison. The creature wielding the longsword scores a critical hit and their target fails the save. Do they take 2d8 slashing+1d4 poison or 2d8 slashing +2d4 poison?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

6. - Top - End - #6

BarbarianGuy

So...what kinds of dice are affected?
    All of them. If you would roll any number of dice for damage sources, then you double them when you crit. The source doesnt matter, Flaming Swords, Sneak Attack, Divine Smite, Hex, whatever.

For poison, it depends. While there is no concrete answer, I personally believe that a poison that has a DC before dealing damage would not double its damage. It's a conditional secondary effect of the attack, similarly to the splash damage from GFB or the movement trigger of BB.

However, not all poison damage works that way. There are a few monsters that just have bonus poison damage on weapons, with no save. (Iirc, a few of the various Drow Warrior/Elites are like this, and I assume others.) This sort of poison damage would be doubled. It is functionally no different than a Flaming sword, or Imp Divine SMite, other than damage type.
    I Am A: Neutral Good Half-Orc Fighter/Barbarian (2nd/1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-13

7. - Top - End - #7

So, as a followup: Grave Cleric channel Divinity. Is it correct to assume is is always the final multiplier to apply to the damage calculation, and is otherwise not affected by a critical hit? And that it does not stack with any actual damage vulnerabilities the opponent may have?

On poison - Some poisons deal guaranteed damage, and the save only allows the victim to halve the damage. Does that change anything?

Smites: The same as Sneak Attack, I imagine?

On Spells - So by this logic, the following spells can critically strike: Bigby's Hand, Crown of Stars, Flame Blade, Inflict Wounds, Melf's Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray, and Witch Bolt can all crit. Though I imagine the ongoing Witch Bolt damage wouldn't crit?
    Last edited by Phhase; 2020-01-18 at 04:42 AM.
    Sometimes, I have strong opinions on seemingly inconsequential matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    Phhase he played four
    He played nick nack on my door
    With a nick nack paddy whack
    Give a dog a bone
    Phhase came rolling home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruenox View Post
    You found a way to backstab... with a ballista...

I want to play at your table.
    Spoiler: How to have a Good Idea
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Buy a lava lamp, it more than doubles the rate of good ideas :p
    Better yet, buy this lava lamp.

8. - Top - End - #8

BarbarianGuy

So, as a followup: Grave Cleric channel Divinity. Is it correct to assume is is always the final multiplier to apply to the damage calculation, and is otherwise not affected by a critical hit? And that it does not stack with any actual damage vulnerabilities the opponent may have?
    You would calculate the damage of the attack as normal for a critical hit, then multiply it by 1.5x (i think thats what Vulnerability does?) It would in fact apply to every instance of damage types they take, assuming you have a way to add more than one.

On poison - Some poisons deal guaranteed damage, and the save only allows the victim to halve the damage. Does that change anything?
    Again, there is no concrete ruling for this sort of thing. Following my previous response about Save vs Non-Save poison, I'd say that Save-For-Half wouldn't get multiplied into a crit, as it allows a save.

Yes, both of these are multiplied by crits, as they are guarenteed dice added to a hit, not contingent on a saving throw. ((In fact, there are many "crit-fishing" builds out there that try to compound the threat of Smites--Elven Accuracy, Lucky, Champion 3 or Hexblade dips, etc.))

On Spells - So by this logic, the following spells can critically strike: Bigby's Hand, Crown of Stars, Flame Blade, Inflict Wounds, Melf's Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray, and Witch Bolt can all crit. Though I imagine the ongoing Witch Bolt damage wouldn't crit?
    Not familiar with all of them at the moment, but the general rule is "If there's an attack roll, it can crit." However, it gets weird when there are 'lingering' effects from spells, like Melf's/Witchbolt continuing onto a further turn. Usually, these fall into similar categories as GFB/BB's conditional rider triggers, which can't crit, just the original target attack roll.
    I Am A: Neutral Good Half-Orc Fighter/Barbarian (2nd/1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-13

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Correct, its the final multiplier and will double the damage taken from that crit. However it does not stack with other vulnerabilities, just like resistance doesn't stack. You'll never be x4 weak to something, or x4 resistant.

The general rule is that if it allows for a saving throw, you don't double the damage. Even if the saving throw allows for half damage, you won't double the damage.

Yes, smite, like sneak attack, gets doubled on a crit, same with Martial Weapon Dice, Bardic Inspiration, or things being added to the hit by spells and magic items. If there's no save for it, and its going off at the same time as the crit, then the dice get doubled.

Correct on all accounts. Those spells all require attack rolls, and all of those spells can crit. And you're also correct about Witch Bolt being able to crit on the first turn, but not on any subsequent rounds.
    Never let the fluff of a class define the personality of a character. Let Clerics be Atheist, let Barbarians be cowardly or calm, let Druids hate nature, and let Wizards know nothing about the arcane

Fun Fact: A monk in armor loses Martial Arts, Unarmored Defense, and Unarmored Movement, but keep all of their other abilities, including subclass features, and Stunning Strike works with melee weapon attacks. Make a Monk in Fullplate with a Greatsword >=D

10. - Top - End - #10

Grave cleric: it does not stack with other vulnerabilities, generally if a grave clerics uses their channel divinity on a creature, then for the purpose of the next attack just pretend that the grave clerics channel dovinity is the only sourcenof vilnerability, to avoid any confusion.

However the doubline from the channel divinity does stack with the partial doubling from the crit.

Poison: those are the type of poison we already discussed.

Smite: yup

Spells: yup, spell attacks crit

Witch bolt: correct, initial damage can, ongoing damage doesnt

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I once had a magic staff that, if used as a weapon, dealt an additional 1d6 poison damage. So no-save poison damage isn't just for monsters.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Things that do not double: Half Orc's Savage Attacks (you take an already rolled die and roll it again - though most people just roll an additional at the same time as the others for expediency), and Barbarian's Brutal Critical Feature (You add dice to the dice being added for critical hits)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm, we've been doing it wrong and including the +1, +4, etc. from magic weapons and ability scores on the damage.

We'll probably just keep doing that.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    Hmm, we've been doing it wrong and including the +1, +4, etc. from magic weapons and ability scores on the damage.

We'll probably just keep doing that.
    I'm sure it doesn't make that much of an impact, frankly I'm a bit confused at why it doesn't just double all damage from that attack. If there are any outliers that would cause tremendous issue I can't think of them immediately.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    I once had a magic staff that, if used as a weapon, dealt an additional 1d6 poison damage. So no-save poison damage isn't just for monsters.
    Basic poison from the PHB equipment section works the same way. It's just a flat +1d4.

My ruling on other poisons: double the dice per usual on a critical hit, then save for half.

I don't count paladin smites as part of the original attack unless you declare them in advance. If you roll a 20 and *then* decide to smite, that's a followup effect, not part of the original critical hit. I would be flexible about this if a given player felt strongly that they really need this, because it doesn't really *matter* either way, but that's my default interpretation because it makes sense to me and I like my game to make sense.

No one has objected in real life to this crit/smite interpretation, and in fact it was originally suggested by a player because he didn't figure out what smiting *after* a crit was supposed to represent in-game. I expect the Internet to loudly object though to this "Paladin nerf."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    No one has objected in real life to this crit/smite interpretation, and in fact it was originally suggested by a player because he didn't figure out what smiting *after* a crit was supposed to represent in-game. I expect the Internet to loudly object though to this "Paladin nerf."
    It's more attacking a poor fantasy in my eyes. For a bit when I first rolled up a Paladin I thought it would be best to save my spell slots for a critical hit so I could heap on damage. In practice, I was rarely using those resources between long rests because I was aiming for that mythical critical.

Doesn't bother me, the crit baiting aspect of it hurts the perception of the class as a whole in my eyes. Many people see the wild eyed crit fishing Paladin as a default. Kind of falls into the omniscient uber prepared Wizard trope.
    Last edited by ProsecutorGodot; 2020-01-20 at 06:38 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

It's more attacking a poor fantasy in my eyes. For a bit when I first rolled up a Paladin I thought it would be best to save my spell slots for a critical hit so I could heap on damage. In practice, I was rarely using those resources between long rests because I was aiming for that mythical critical.

Doesn't bother me, the crit baiting aspect of it hurts the perception of the class as a whole in my eyes. Many people see the wild eyed crit fishing Paladin as a default. Kind of falls into the omniscient uber prepared Wizard trope.
    I could see it as smite spells being a class feature (concentrate to hold power then strike for X damage or lesser damage plus rider declared ahead of time). You are then preparing more utility spells as back up.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I'm sure it doesn't make that much of an impact, frankly I'm a bit confused at why it doesn't just double all damage from that attack. If there are any outliers that would cause tremendous issue I can't think of them immediately.
    The group I play with uses the houserule that crits are "max possible damage from your attack + damage you roll + your modifiers." So a 3rd level rogue with +3 dex and a 1d6 shortsword would, RAW, do damage on a crit of 6d6+3 (average 24). With the houserule we use, he does damage on a crit of 21 (3d6+3 max) +3d6+3 for an average of 34.5.

It significantly boosts crits. This has occasionally swung against the party. Last session, the evil cleric attacking the party used an upcasted Inflict Wounds at 9d10 damage on the reckless-attacking barbarian and critted for 90+9d10 damage. I think it was about 130 damage. We had to roll it out to see if it was going to insta-kill the character by taking him to beyond negative his max HP in a single attack. I don't remember if that's a houserule or not. Group grew out of a local game store, so we all pretty much use the same set of houserules. That was substantially more than a simple 18d10 would have done.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    Basic poison from the PHB equipment section works the same way. It's just a flat +1d4.
    After the target fails DC 10 Con save.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    After the target fails DC 10 Con save.
    Oops. Serves me right for not checking. You are correct sir. I was wrong.

21. - Top - End - #21

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    The group I play with uses the houserule that crits are "max possible damage from your attack + damage you roll + your modifiers." So a 3rd level rogue with +3 dex and a 1d6 shortsword would, RAW, do damage on a crit of 6d6+3 (average 24). With the houserule we use, he does damage on a crit of 21 (3d6+3 max) +3d6+3 for an average of 34.5.
    This is what I use at my table. Crit deals damage dice as rolled, plus the max value of the dice rolled plus any damage modifiers.

RAI?
    1) I don't want sad trombone solos after a crit. It's an exciting moment for everyone. Why take it away?
    2) I want my combats to be quick and violent. Rolling dice brings the game to a grinding halt EVERY SINGLE TIME. Why would I want to roll MORE dice and add them up? I aslo ask my players to roll their d20 with their damage dice to speed up the process.

Game effect? None I can see. I have players looking seriously at crit farming builds, half orc fighter champion GWM using a greataxe does 24 (2 d12) + d12 + STRMOD 10% of the time they roll.
    Last edited by Kurt Kurageous; 2020-01-21 at 10:11 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

The +10 damages from some feats (great weapon master, ...) is my immediate though. They're strong enough like that, and you're already happy to land a critical hit when you took the -5 penalty to hit, so no need to double the +10 damages in case of critical hit.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoiMagnus View Post
    The +10 damages from some feats (great weapon master, ...) is my immediate though. They're strong enough like that, and you're already happy to land a critical hit when you took the -5 penalty to hit, so no need to double the +10 damages in case of critical hit.
    Nobody at my tables play with it (by choice, they're not banned) so I'd forgotten about them. That would be the outlier, all they do is cause problems.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Nobody at my tables play with it (by choice, they're not banned) so I'd forgotten about them. That would be the outlier, all they do is cause problems.
    no problem at all.
    The damage is doubled. It makes the Barbarian with the Great Axe the awesome killing machine that he's supposed to be when he now and again rolls critical and is using GWM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    no problem at all.
    The damage is doubled. It makes the Barbarian with the Great Axe the awesome killing machine that he's supposed to be when he now and again rolls critical and is using GWM.
    I'll rephrase then: GWM is generally considered not as problematic as Sharpshooter, which I tend to agree with. The Elven Accuracy Sharpshooter crit fishers are something I would consider more out of line than I'd prefer.

GWM more often than not has opportunity costs for optimizing it, you either forego an attack to knock someone prone for your best odds at not missing due to the -5 or you're a Barbarian who attacks recklessly, often taking a hit in return if you don't end up killing all surrounding targets. Sharpshooter, on the other hand, is pretty well mitigated by the Archery fighting style, something you'd have been taking anyway as a ranged attacker so you never really give anything up in optimizing your chances.

All that said, now that I've thought more on it I really don't see it causing more issues than it already does. Criticals happen rarely enough (even for fishing builds) that it's not likely to be as problematic as I thought at a glance.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

GWM more often than not has opportunity costs for optimizing it, you either forego an attack to knock someone prone for your best odds at not missing due to the -5 or you're a Barbarian who attacks recklessly, often taking a hit in return if you don't end up killing all surrounding targets. Sharpshooter, on the other hand, is pretty well mitigated by the Archery fighting style, something you'd have been taking anyway as a ranged attacker so you never really give anything up in optimizing your chances.
    nice post, have only ever played one Ranger with Sharpshooter: and that campaign never got to tier 2. (vHuman)
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-01-21 at 03:49 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

It'd be a nice buff to monk, as early on their flurry damage mostly comes from the dex mod and not the martial arts dice.

All that said, now that I've thought more on it I really don't see it causing more issues than it already does. Criticals happen rarely enough (even for fishing builds) that it's not likely to be as problematic as I thought at a glance.
    It's probably more of a "this option is already at the top of damage options in this game, a small buff to it is the last thing we need to make it feel less mandatory for builds".