New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default System for running Monster Hunter

Been playing a fair amount of Monster Hunter World recently and I was wondering if their was a game that could be used to play it. Savage Worlds (as usual) came to mind, but the Equipment there is pretty generic. Fate, as normal, can do it but I generally want something with at least as much crunch as Savage World
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: System for running Monster Hunter

Actually, with its strong focus on Equipment, I would actually suggest a D20 Variant. Happens rarely enough outside of classic Zero to hero Games....^^

If you want it with little complication (and given that Mosnter Hunter iirc has not very much difference between classes) 4th Edition might fit well.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by GrayDeath View Post
    If you want it with little complication (and given that Mosnter Hunter iirc has not very much difference between classes) 4th Edition might fit well.
    I'd agree, IIRC 4E has a lot of monsters with distinctive abilities, although if Savage Worlds is your normal go-to, be advised that 4E is significantly heavier.

3.x/PF could do it too, of course. There is the issue that the relatively glass cannon nature (of both sides, usually) may feel pretty different than the video game (although pretty similar to SW), and it's likewise more crunchy than SW.

SW may be able to do it, not sure how well it represents really big creatures. You may need to create some homebrew stuff, but it is probably quicker.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Hmmm. This is a toughie, actually. You can't really do Monster Hunter's gameplay loop justice on tabletop, but you can probably create something that feels like the MonHun lore and cutscenes, all equipment and guile and laying of traps and such.

You know what, I'm thinking Genesys might be an option? Since it was born from a Star Wars game, it has a lot of hooks for equipment, and equipment modification and tuning, and you can tune talents to let people sort of specialize their hunters to become better at different stuff (say, someone might be a better tracker, while another gets pluses with status, stuff like that) while letting everyone have a similar set of core competences. Course, with Genesys being a generic chassis, kinda like a crunchier, less narrative version of FATE, it would involve a ton of work!