New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default [D&D 4e] Gunmage: Swordmage Ranged Conversion (PEACH)

Gunmage Concept
    This is my attempt at converting the Swordmage to be a Ranged defender that relies on keeping their distance and punishing enemies from afar.

Spoiler: Class Block
    Show
    Role: Defender. You are a ranged combatant who uses spells to fight better.
    Power Source: Arcane. You study ancient magical traditions and practice marksmanship, developing arcane powers that work well with your precision attacks.
    Key Abilities: Intelligence, Strength, Constitution
    Armor Proficiencies: Cloth, leather.
    Weapon Proficiencies: Simple melee, simple ranged, military ranged.
    Implement: Any ranged weapon
    Bonus to Defense: +2 Will.
    Hit Points at 1st Level : 15+ Constitution Score.
    Hit Points per Level Gained : 6
    Healing Surges per Day : 8+ Constitution Modifier.
    Trained Skills : Arcana. From the class skills list below, choose 3 more trained skills at 1st level.
    Class Skills : Arcana (Int), Athletics (Str), Diplomacy (Cha), Endurance (Con), History (Int), Insight (Wis), Intimidate (Cha).
    Class features: Weaponbond, Gunmage Aegis, Gunmage Warding.

GUNMAGE CLASS FEATURES

Gunmages are smart, strong bastions of defense whose art is embodied by their weapons. All gunmages have the class features described below.

Weaponbond

By spending 1 hour of meditation with a chosen ranged weapon, you forge a special bond with the weapon. As a standard action, you can call your bonded weapon to your hand from up to 10 squares away.
    You can forge a bond with a different ranged weapon using the same meditation process (for instance, if you acquire a new weapon that has magical abilities). If you forge a bond with a different weapon, the old bond dissipates.
    If your bonded weapon is broken or damaged, you can spend 1 hour of meditation to recreate the weapon from a fragment. (This process automatically destroys any other fragments of the weapon in existence, so you can't use it to create multiple copies of a broken weapon.)

Gunmage Aegis

You can place a magical warding upon a foe, allowing you to respond to the foe's attacks against your allies with a counterassault or a timely protection. Choose one Aegis and gain its benefit. Each Aegis has a range of 10 Squares instead of 3 squares.

Gunmage Warding

While you are conscious and wielding a ranged weapon, you maintain a field of magical force around you.
    This field provides a +1 bonus to AC, or a +3 bonus if you are wielding a ranged weapon in one hand and have your other hand free (not carrying a shield, an off-hand weapon, a two-handed weapon, or anything else).

IMPLEMENTS

Your ranged weapon adds its enhancement bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls and any extra damage granted by a property (if applicable) when used as an implement. You do not gain your weapon proficiency bonus to the attack roll when using your blade as an implement.

Critical Changes

This list is not complete and will be adjusted as needed.
    • Any Swordmage attack power that has a Range of Melee Weapon is changed to have a range or Ranged Weapon.
      • Examples include Greenflame Blade which Changes from a melee weapon range to a ranged weapon range.

• Any Swordmage attack power that has a Range of Close Blast X is changed to have a range of Burst X-2 within 10.
      • Examples include Flame Cyclone which Changes from a Close Blast 3 into a Burst 1 within 10.

• Any Swordmage attack power that has a Range of Close Burst X is changed to have a range of Close Blast X+2.
      • Examples include Sword Burst which changes from a Close Burst 1 into a Close Blast 3.

This is DEFINITELY a work in progress, and I'd love some feedback on this. I think it would be a cool project since the Swordmage is already based around marking then running away from that target. So, I figured why not lean into it, and this is what I've got so far.
    Last edited by Nuptup; 2024-04-10 at 11:22 PM.
    You can find all of my homebrew here: Nuptup's Extended Signature