New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default How could I fit in GWM or xbow expert on a sorcerer?

Title kind of explains it all, trying to fit in either GWM or crossbow expert onto a 9th level sorcerer that should have at least 7 levels of Divine soul.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: How could I fit in GWM or xbow expert on a sorcerer?

Use your level 4 ASI or take it with Variant Human.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

I can't make a viable build with 7 sorcerer, but can with 6.

Of the two, I'd grab GWM. You'll want 3 levels of warlock (sorry, I just couldn't do it with 7.) This let's you use a greatsword, and as a bonus medium armor, so can leave dex at 14. Going to want Con at 14 too. Everything else you can get goes to Cha. You'll probably want V. human to pick up GWM.

Now, you only have one attack a turn... normally, but that's not a problem due to sorcerer and a little spell called Green Flame Blade. Learn it well, its now your best friend.

Spam quicken when you can. View your GWM as a resource bonus. Whenever you get a nat 20 (or 19), you don't have to expand that resource.

Its a doable class that does a ton of damage. You never need warlock again.

The main problem is going to be your HP. You're going to be incredibly squishy as a divine soul. I'd recommend Draconic or a UA one if you can get away with it, but this class definitely works as is and you'll be fine.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Verble View Post
    Use your level 4 ASI or take it with Variant Human.
    Agreed. There's nothing wrong with delaying Charisma progression to take something you like, especially if battles aren't deadly in the campaign.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Crossbow Expert is a good late game feat on Sorlocks, since the "Being within 5 feet of a hostile creature doesn’t impose disadvantage on your ranged attack rolls" part applies to Eldritch Blast.

Other than that, there is no way to make either feat good on a Sorcerer. You could, however, take it for RP value.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Ganryu View Post
    I can't make a viable build with 7 sorcerer, but can with 6.

Of the two, I'd grab GWM. You'll want 3 levels of warlock (sorry, I just couldn't do it with 7.) This let's you use a greatsword, and as a bonus medium armor, so can leave dex at 14. Going to want Con at 14 too. Everything else you can get goes to Cha. You'll probably want V. human to pick up GWM.

Now, you only have one attack a turn... normally, but that's not a problem due to sorcerer and a little spell called Green Flame Blade. Learn it well, its now your best friend.

Spam quicken when you can. View your GWM as a resource bonus. Whenever you get a nat 20 (or 19), you don't have to expand that resource.

Its a doable class that does a ton of damage. You never need warlock again.

The main problem is going to be your HP. You're going to be incredibly squishy as a divine soul. I'd recommend Draconic or a UA one if you can get away with it, but this class definitely works as is and you'll be fine.
    Offset the squishiness slightly by using a reach weapon from behind someone more sturdy.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

The PCs, walk into a town they've never before visited together, all the villagers stop & stare at them. The PCs realise why when they get to the fountain at the centre of town, there are accurate statues of each of them, even down to the gear they currently carry. The statues have been here for generations...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OgataiKhan View Post
    Crossbow Expert is a good late game feat on Sorlocks, since the "Being within 5 feet of a hostile creature doesn’t impose disadvantage on your ranged attack rolls" part applies to Eldritch Blast.

Other than that, there is no way to make either feat good on a Sorcerer. You could, however, take it for RP value.
    XBE is also really good early feat for a sorlock.

It make a Melee EBster work effectively and let you always cast in full power when near enemies.

I find that the casters are a bigger target in the early game as they have less escape/safe option so I find it more useful in the early game.

Totally worth playing with 18 cha instead of 20 for an extra 4 levels.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SquirtleSquad View Post
    Title kind of explains it all, trying to fit in either GWM or crossbow expert onto a 9th level sorcerer that should have at least 7 levels of Divine soul.
    @people suggesting 3 levels of Warlock, I remind that OP asked for GWM or Xbow Expert on a *Sorcerer*. Not a dual-class.

On topic: for a pure Sorcerer I'd definitely favor XBE. I'd be afraid of taking a bad hit if in melee, and unless you really built your Sorcerer that will happen often.
    Of course, if you are not against multiclassing, even just one level of Warlock should cover you AC-wise (medium armor + short-rest Shield).

With that said I'm not sure to understand why you would want either?
    As far as bonus action go, as a Divine Soul you should already have several rounds where you want to use bonus action on a spell (Healing Words, Sanctuary, Shield of Faith). You could also learn Spiritual Weapon to up your damage if that's really your thing.
    Or grab Spell Sniper with Eldricht Blast, that you could potentially Quicken.

If you really want to go into melee instead, a Booming Blade/GreenFlame Blade paired with an upcast Shadow Blade will deal a level of hurt similar to a Rogue of comparative level.
    And you can always pair that with another Quickened Booming Blade, or a Quickened Guiding Bolt cast before you reach melee range to ensure the BB lands.

What exactly did you have in mind with either of those feats?
    Last edited by HiveStriker; 2020-01-21 at 08:01 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OgataiKhan View Post

I agree. Sorlocks benefit more from maxing Cha and taking War Caster/Resilient: Con/Wis.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SquirtleSquad View Post
    so....first i need to know what you're looking for with those feats?

as people have pointed out xbe allows you to cast ranged attack spells in melee.

so are you wanting to actually use the associated weapons? or just have the feat? or..what?