New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default [3.PF] Order of losing temporary hit points

So per linked power (and probably other text elsewhere I don't know about), nonstacking effects overlap.
    Spoiler: Relevant text
    Show
    In some cases, such as a psionic charm followed by a linked psionic charm, failing both saving throws results in redundant effects (although, in this example, any ally of the target would have to succeed on two dispel attempts to free the target from the charm effect).
    If I False Life myself twice for 10 temp HP and 20 temp HP...
    If I take 20 damage, I clearly have 0 temp HP remaining.
    If someone dispells one False Life, I still have either 10 or 20 temp HP from the other one.

What if I take 5 damage and then dispell the higher (now 15 temp HP) False Life? Is the remaining temp HP pool still full at 10, or is it 5?
    Last edited by Kaiwen; 2020-01-23 at 12:14 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [3.PF] Order of losing temporary hit points

From the Rules Compendium (p. 72)
    Quote Originally Posted by Temporary Hit Points
    Temporary hit points gained from multiple applications of the same effect don’t stack. Instead, the highest number of temporary hit points gained from that effect apply. If temporary hit points are gained from multiple, different sources that stack, keep track of those sources and when they were gained separately. Any damage taken is fi rst subtracted from the oldest effect that granted temporary hit points. When those are gone, subtract damage from the next oldest effect, and so on

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: [3.PF] Order of losing temporary hit points

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiwen View Post
    So per linked power (and probably other text elsewhere I don't know about), nonstacking effects overlap.
    Spoiler: Relevant text
    Show
    In some cases, such as a psionic charm followed by a linked psionic charm, failing both saving throws results in redundant effects (although, in this example, any ally of the target would have to succeed on two dispel attempts to free the target from the charm effect).
    If I False Life myself twice for 10 temp HP and 20 temp HP...
    If I take 20 damage, I clearly have 0 temp HP remaining.
    If someone dispells one False Life, I still have either 10 or 20 temp HP from the other one.

What if I take 5 damage and then dispell the higher (now 15 temp HP) False Life? Is the remaining temp HP pool still full at 10, or is it 5?
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyphoenixx View Post
    From the Rules Compendium (p. 72)
    As intimated in the OP, for most purposes, only the 20 temp hp matter, because you'll take damage to them. The 10 hp will be gotten rid of "in parallel" to the 20, after the first 10 temp hp (out of the 20) are gone.

If you dispel one and only one source of temp hp, then the temp hp from other sources remain. If they have not yet been damaged (because the source that was removed hadn't yet been eroded to be equal to them in value), you retain all of them.

So, in the OP's example of two sources of temp hp, one granting 10 and the other 20, after which he took 5 hp of damage, he now has 15 temp hp. If the source of temp hp initially granting 20 temp hp is dispelled or runs out of time or the like, then his temp hp drops to 10. If the source of 10 temp hp is dispelled but the other source is left, he retains 15 temp hp.