Page 1 of 140 12345678910112651101 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [3.5E] Heretic's Bane Dwarf Campaign OOC Thread

Hey everyone,

Here is an OOC thread for our campaign. Post whatever you want here. Quesions, comments, concerns, etc.

MShady

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5E] Heretic's Bane Dwarf Campaign OOC Thread

Is there going to be just the one OOC thread for both groups?

Also, should I not have been posting in the other thread? I guess I got confused as to how you were going to do stuff. I thought it was one, and then you would break us out into two diff groups eventually. but this new IC thread seems to have a completely different lead in than the other one.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Dreka speaks in DimGrey.

Yep, I think that's it for now...
    ~~>DAEMONICA ELECTRONICA.
    Severe technical difficulties. Sorry for inconvenience.

OOC Ratcatchers: Iiiiiiiiinves-ti-gate! Good times, come on! Investiiiii-gation!
    OOC Finding Paths and Making Kings: STANDOFF AT BOKKEN"S HUT.
    OOC Curse of the Crimson Throne Bandits incoming at 12-o-clock and 9-o-clock.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

It's usually a good idea to include at least a general description of your character in an opening post.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, the Barakbar group is in a seperate part of the Patriarchate. Due to people adding and going, I think the Icewind Dale group is going to be fairly lop-sided in size. I'm still expecting one more and hoping IzaOza to come as well as Arman Madero. That group is going to run a bit slower and I may end up sub-dividing that so we have 3 groups. The Barakbar group I want to keep at 3 to 4 for now and that should probably run a bit faster. When everyone gets together, who is still here, we should hopefully have one group again.

All of that is going to be fairly tough to keep track of on a DM level, but rest assured that as your high trained dungeon engineer, things will work out :)

MShady

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Mshady, would it be possible to get a list of the Character Names and their races/classes included in the first post of the diff IC threads?

Should help keep the chars straight while we're fleshing each other out a bit.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure. I can do that.

Does anyone have any questions on the campaign background or anything like that to help your PCs?

MShady

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Is the Icewind Dale game dead? Or do people jsut ahte posting on weekends?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I think it is just a weekend and a momentum thing. Not much to say. I certainly hope it is not dead! I think it'll start rolling again...

On that note though, I'll be out duck hunting this evening and tomorrow so I will be AFK for the day. The Icewind Dale group will be moving out promptly upon my return.

MShady

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey everyone,

I've added the player lists to each thread per a previous suggestion.

Thanks,
    MShady

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Oh-hey, where are the other PCs?

OOC Ratcatchers: Iiiiiiiiinves-ti-gate! Good times, come on! Investiiiii-gation!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Nexus, what do you mean?

MShady

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

In regards to posting, when I put up a post I generally will hold off on putting up the next post if at least the majority of folks do not respond.

If you have something to add IC, by all means please do so. If you can't think of anything, just acknowledge you've read it and are ready to move on. I don't want to rapid fire DM posts and not give people a chance to respond.

Thanks folks!
    MShady

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

What I'm wondering about, chief, is why 'tis only Carmard and Dreka up there. I mean, where are all the others?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

The group size got too large for one party so I split folks up. Each party was supposed to be the same size, but an extra player came that could only fit in the Icewind Dale group and a couple people dropped. I shifted a couple folks around and now its gotten a bit lop sided. Now there are 3 people in Barakbar and like... 7 officially in Icewind Dale. The Barakbar group also had to be all dwarven due to the nature of the place so I had to have all dwarves there yet keep enough in the Icewind Dale group. The split forced me to redo some plot lines, but its all for the better as you'll hopefully live to see

As it stands, I want to recruit a dwarven fighter to go along with the Barakbar group. That should make things a little more balanced for the party. Can anyone recommend an experienced dwarven player for the group?

MShady
    Last edited by mshady; 2007-10-25 at 02:24 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I just thought i would tell everyone hello and a little bit of knowledge on me. I live in Minnesota, have a full time internship at a hospital, and work part time at Home Depot. If posting happens to be a little slow from me, that is why. I generally try and get online at least everynight... which hasn't been the way the last week or so. I get scheduled odd hours at wrk due to the hospital hours and my main problem latelyhas been getting out the thank you cards for my wedding.. um.. four months ago.. yeah.. hee hee

but i am making a post tonight, so sorry for my absence. I will try and catch up and get Arman to come in at a good point without messing things up too much. :) nice to talk to you all :)

I also have a myspace site if anyone is interested. Shady, I know you wanted it again. www.myspace.com/dragonjana

on to the posting board!

Jana

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks, Jana!

Just an FYI, I am converting all of your character sheets into The One Sheet so things are easier for me to manage and such as we move along. Make sure languages and such are noted on your sheets and so on.

Thanks everyone!!
    MShady

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Soooo... Dreka's just currently set to follow Carmard, what's happening?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm trying to get together the character sheets in my own Wizards to support any potential fight in the main group. Figuring out how to do the map ended up to take alot more time than I thought, but I got the swing of it.

I'll put up a post for your group no later than this evening. I'm also trying to bring on board two more players for your group.

MShady

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

You might want to try these folk: Grrth, Methalor, Moechi_Vill, CurlyKitGirl and SurlySeraph. They're pretty darn good by my standards and, more important in the current situation, have a good probability of creating and sustaining a good dwarven facade.

Oh, and speaking of standards--- I apologize for the uncharacteristically short posts by me in your thread. Sometimes time is short, sometimes I'm just exhausted.

Also, won't be on for much of tomorrow. Long trip.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

So, guys... ECL 11 encounter, huh?

ECL 11!

How do you expect us to win this?! Sure, there's a lot of us, but that doesn't mean any of us can really do anything to a CR 9 giant!
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Dreamer Pony is by Akrim.elf.
    Spoiler
    Show

Baiyan, God of Joy, by GryffonDurime, while the C.U.T.E Scardycat and Dreamer are by Tomb Raven.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

It is at least an ECL11 encounter, yes. That may not be all of the encounter, either. Two cleverly entrenched frost giants, perfectly sited to watch a trail going to an otherwise remote location waiting for a specific target and clearly been there awhile will be tough. It may be trapped and there could be more.

One of the giants has already been wounded and is about to get mobbed by summons, taking its boulder throwing out of action. They also have a low AC, although they are under cover for now.

How do I expect you to win? Well this is a very valid question your characters should be thinking about in character as well.

Well, at first consider the premise of the question.

Do you have to win or just survive? Tolrin is there looking for trouble as he expected the Stone Council to be ambushed and to pay his respects at a tomb. But is it enough to survive with the knowledge of the ambush?

Tactically, Tolrin is not charging but ordering folks to shoot at the giants from a distance. You all have a significant advantage in terms of spells, summoned monsters and more accurate ranged weapons. At this distance, they will have a hard time hitting you with boulders. The giants have several options at that point.

Also, do the giants know they are the stronger party? They want to win too, but have a will to live. I'll never play an intelligent monster as suicidal.

Another factor to consider is Tolrin. He is a high ranking cleric and clearly well equipped. How much that equalizes things will be interesting to see.

Something else to consider is that you can use the terrain for cover. You have terrain along the sides you can use for cover or lay prone for a +4 AC bonus and still shoot your crossbows.

It is a difficult encounter, yes but it also makes sense in the context of the setting. It is possibly winnable and likely survivable.

There are alot of you. Leverage your advantages, play smart and you will all do just fine! :)

MShady
    Last edited by mshady; 2007-11-07 at 01:34 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Ralts and Amur both use bows, which they can't fire while prone.

Spoiler
    Show

Baiyan, God of Joy, by GryffonDurime, while the C.U.T.E Scardycat and Dreamer are by Tomb Raven.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Amur has spells. I'll have to check the rules, but you could probably crouch and call it a +2 AC. Otherwise, might want to run for the side and take a position in the rocks and use the varied terrain for partial cover.

What about throwing your mind blade? Not sure on the stats off the top of my head.

Or just don't draw attention to yourself and hope they want to throw at someone else more threatening ;)

MShady
    Last edited by mshady; 2007-11-07 at 02:58 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

By the way...

Just an FYI, but in regards to initiative... that is only relevant for damage resolution in this format. More or less. Don't wait for others to post before doing so yourself...

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

My Mind Blade has a maximum range of fifty feet. If I got that close I'd be easier to hit with a giant boulder.

I can make it do more damage, (2d6+1d8+2), but can only do that every other round.

I'll stick with my bow, if it's all the same to you.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

I bet that Soulbow PrC is looking pretty good right now ;)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Now I'm definately wishing I had gotten the effects of the Shield of Faith, Mass. That combined with the dwarven AC bonus vs Giants (hint to everyone playing a dwarf) would make me pretty hard to hit.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, that would have helped considerbly in Bundok's case. Tolrin's intent was to have him clear that flank and work as a sniper against anything that stuck its head up. He wasn't exactly inspecting this kind of enemy, however. We'll see how things sort out. Everyone is doing a great job against those giants though!

Other things to remember would be that you can go into total defense or fight defensively to boost your ACs. And staying away from their axes!

MShady
    Last edited by mshady; 2007-11-09 at 10:42 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

What's going on with the other group?
    Remember: It doesn't matter if you win or lose - as long as you look really cool doing it!