Page 6 of 143 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156106 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5E] Heretic's Bane Dwarf Campaign OOC Thread

Indeed he did. It is an interesting decision and if it makes RP sense for Arman to do, that's perfectly fine. I would not worry about the loss per se from an award point of view. Giving a powerful symbol and potential weapon to Hal-Gur will have some ramifications, good and perhaps bad. As a DM, its an important move I'm sure to touch on later in this arc. She would appear to be a non-combatant though.

Surprising moves are why its worth playing and DMing though. Even a bad move is a good move if it is a surprise.

As a DM though, you may have noticed I am not a carebear with consequences for action. If its good or bad will entirely depend on what I had in mind prior, as opposed to rewarding every action :)
    Last edited by mshady; 2008-12-30 at 02:14 AM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Dwarfism I came across...

Dwarves have their own proud, ancient tongue, but increasing numbers of the Stout Folk (as a result of dwelling and working with humans and other races on the surface of Faerûn) speak Common daily.

Here follow a few handy linguistic notes on "Dwarf Common" (that is, sayings and coined words often uttered by dwarves when speaking Common).

A little down! (originally accompanied by letting a sparse handful of sand or gravel fall from one's palm) -- means "So it goes!" (Or, to modern, real-world speakers, a variant on "That's the way the cookie crumbles!")

A fair fallhammer! -- something satisfyingly good, such as a meal, a brawl, a decision, or victorious confrontation.

Curlbeard -- something bitter or disgusting in taste or smell, or something nauseating.

Darrown (pronounced "darr-OW-nn") -- noble, superb, supremely dwarf-like and praiseworthy (even an act or the speech of a non-dwarf, such as an elf risking his life to save a dwarf in battle).

Galakkur -- applied to anything messy, untidy, or sloppy. It's derived from the name of a legendary dwarf who did everything fast but in slapdash manner, heedless of even obvious consequences. The real Galakkur lived some eight centuries ago. Tavern-tales give him various, improbably sticky ends. His misdeeds have been greatly exaggerated since by the addition of many invented tales of his life and doings.

Goldnose -- haughty (behavior called "highnose" by any human in the Realms not a member of, or trying to pretend membership in, the upper classes). Dwarves find such behavior contemptible in elves and amusingly silly when practiced by humans.

Ho! That one had teeth in it! -- used in commentary on anything large and uncomfortable such as a belch, breaking wind, a blow to the head, or a fall.

Mardarl -- an effort to hide something, either physically or by withholding information (or twisting a conversation onto another topic, right now). An example would be a false name, particularly when used to conceal gender (for instance, a female dwarf using a name such as Brokh or Garlfang to make non-dwarves think they're dealing with a male).

Ogurkh (pronounced "OH-gurk") -- something unbelievable, insane, monumentally stupid, or the result of crazed, dunderheaded, or scarcely-to-be-believed actions. "Blazing proper ogurkh" is an exasperated dwarf's straining-to-stay-polite comment on something that really upsets or irks him. "Burns me ogurkh" is the dwarven equivalent of "sticks in my craw."

Paerth (pronounced "PAIR-urth") -- the disgusted equivalent of balderdash, piffle, not bloody likely, or fat chance!

Shards! -- a gentle oath derived from the loss of a gemstone or good building-stone that breaks into fragments. It's the equivalent of a real-world speaker saying, "darn it all!" or a similarly mild expletive.

Sprendle -- a trick, prank, or deliberate misdirection, especially if lighthearted and harmless or meant to prevent a confrontation.

Tarunter (sometimes "a proper tarunter") -- a word to describe anything pretentious or fussy (such as elven dancing and most human festival celebrations or "goldnose" etiquette). Dwarves never apply this word to religious customs, dress, or rituals, even of a human faith they barely understand or that seems fussy at first glance.

Unbearded -- foolish talk or deeds (an "unbearded one" is a fool, "full-unbearded" is a mad dwarf). Dwarves never apply this word to non-dwarves (because, as the old dwarf joke goes, all non-dwarves can safely be assumed to be fools until proven otherwise, and such proof appears for only a handful of individuals once or twice a century). Something that's "fair unbearded" is reckless or dangerous.

Vellamorn -- treasure, valuables, hidden wealth. Originally a silly euphemism for gold used in dwarf rhymes and jests (derived from the name of a fictitious dwarf maiden in a ballad who wore only gowns made of linked gold coins). This has become a code-word for dwarves wanting to discuss (for example) gold coins without saying "gold coins" where others might overhear.

-Never trust a beardless dwarf. They have something to hide along with their beards.

-Don't put all your nuggets in the forge at once.

-Don't put all your ore in one cart.

-Don't count all your ingots before they're smelted.

-Leave gnomes' work in gnomes' hands.

-You don't put a medal on a dwarf before the war is over.

-Even a failure at a forge has it's reason. Otherwise Dorand would have recycled the Gray Dwarves.

-The stone can sit in one place for centuries and will never complain. Be as the stone, and learn its patience.
    Last edited by mshady; 2009-02-26 at 03:50 AM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I like the warhammer dwarves for those kind of things:

-Never forget a grudge, be wary of gold that glitters in the dark and never, ever, trust an elf.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    The Internet, where men are men, women are men, and little girls are the FBI.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Sorry I can't make it but I can't wait to read how it all turns out.
    The bunny's scared, the bunny's scared of you...shivering.
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And your looking at your claws and your looking at your fangs and your thinking Your thinking to yourself I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Eastern time as in Montreal, New York, Washington etc time? I'll try to be there, but I don't use yahoo chat usually.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

I think we will end up using MSN as I can't figure out how to create a chat room in Yahoo. I'm at mstaley1@rochester.rr.com on there though. Can anyone else make it?

Montreal time is the same as NY time, so we're on the same time.

Mike
    Last edited by mshady; 2009-04-07 at 09:36 PM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

I might be able to make that!
    Spoiler
    Show

My Game
    Dwaer Depths II - Pathfinder
    Dwaer Depths Wiki Page

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

8. - Top - End - #158

Yeah, I think I can make that. I'll be around at that time.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I'm thinking it may be a good idea to start a new thread when we get to Sigil, we're nearing the big 50 pages, and that way we wont cut the action in twain (I love using the word twain)

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

What happens when you hit 50 pages? Do you start losing stuff? I need to start archiving this...

Mike

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Sorry about yesterday, I could'nt log on to the boards and didn't have your adress.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Halberds: The halberd is pretty much the “king” of the polearm weapons, but neglected by the rules I have felt. There are very good reasons they largely replaced two handed axes.

1. For the purposes of this campaign, it is considered a reach weapon with a d10 axe head and a d6 spear and does 2x damage in a charge, like a lance. The same rules apply to long spears and pikes, but not short spears or the dwarven urgrosh.

2. Halberds also have a hook on the back of the axe blade that was used for dismounting knights and tripping opponents, so you get a +2 to trip with it as well.

3. A polearm’s axe allows even more force to be delivered to a target, so instead of a 1.5x strength bonus they receive a 2x bonus and a 19-20 critical threat range. Yes, they are man openers!

4. Only one attack per round regardless of BAB with axe head. All other attacks are with the d6 spear point at 1.5x strength bonus. You cannot cleave with a halberd. All reach attacks (beyond 5 feet) at with the spear point, including when you fight in ranks.

5. Polearm training is very different than any other kind of weapon training. It is now considered an exotic weapon when used individually.

Half Plate: Never liked the rules for these. Half plate has a +1 Dex bonus like full plate. You could consider this ¾ plate as well, if you would like which also did exist. The tiefling guards are in “half plate” and Krytos is in full plate.

13. - Top - End - #163

ClericGuy

Enjoyed the read...let me know if there is another session planned I'd love to try to make it. Although playing in German time could be interesting to orchestrate.
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And your looking at your claws and your looking at your fangs and your thinking Your thinking to yourself I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

14. - Top - End - #164

ClericGuy

I'll see what I can do about friday. EST is California time right? I think that is nine hours behind me so that would make me playing at 3am. I might can pull that off.

Are we running any of the combat this week before that session? If so I'll post first round actions.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

EST is east coast, so -5 GMT.

We'll try to do a round this week in the forums, and do the rest in chat.

Mike

16. - Top - End - #166

ClericGuy

I was about to post when I saw Arman's actions and I had a quick question. Do we have a surprise round?

If we do I'll enlarge first then divine power in the first round if not I'll just do one probably so let me know. I'll post the action whenever I hear from you.

P.S. Thanks for the invisibility...i'll try to take full advantage

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

If we get a surprise round, I'll use a wand to cast animalistic power on Thordrek.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey everyone...

My mistake on how I represented my own post...

As Carmard was expecting an attack from that direction and warned folks before he started blowing what amounted to a dog whistile to provoke the creature from hiding... yes, you have a readied action on the Hydra's surprise round.

You also have the next round as well, so basically we are doing two turns right now.

Mike

19. - Top - End - #169

ClericGuy

I don't know why I kept thinking California while saying Eastern Standard time. That makes it not as late, I should be able to make it if I can get a MSN account tonight.

Magnum will have cast Divine Power on his surprise round/readied action.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

GMT-5..... would that mean that at GMT-4, it would be 9 for me right?

21. - Top - End - #171

ClericGuy

Nalrak's Hit Dice

(1d8+2)[6]

22. - Top - End - #172

ClericGuy

Quick insertion:

If you don't mind I probably wouldn't have gone done to this "negotiation" in the current state of health I'm in. It might not matter either way but the way I'm running this character Magnum never likes wasting time in combat with healing spells so he would have healed up before hand. I think I have 8 cure medium potion and I would have handed out a few to make sure others were up to tip top shape as well. If you say it is too late to interject I understand. Just let me know and I will mark whatever on my sheet you rule is appropriate.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Um.... Katasi, WTF????

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

That was a surprising post. As a DM, I need to think if Thordek would have time to actually stop him from casting.

Certainly changes the dynamic of matters.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

(1d20+14)[32] Knowledge: Planes Check

What is our mystery merc?

26. - Top - End - #176

Someone needs to make a joke about the mystery merc's manhood if he gets beaten by Sable. I guess I'll have Wyatt do it if nobody else does. :D

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Hey Arman, stop using up all our luck

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey everyone!

How do you like those pictures in the threads? Not neccesary all the time, but kind of a cool factor. Is it slowing your load times though?

Mike

29. - Top - End - #179

They're pretty neat. Though I still prefer my MSPaint scribblies. They don't bother me none.

Also: Very yes to Sable and her death attack. I hope this guy explodes in a bloody, gorey mess. That'd be wonderful.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Yeah, so do I, cause if he doesn't it could get messy, besides, it would be awesome.