New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 47 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Banned

Default Re: The Scarlet Shadow IC

Actually, it doesn't matter much what (if anything) is Mariko going to do, because...

("I am taking temporary command.") The booming voice definately belongs to Sesus Arsa, as it is as full of emotion as always, and you can even see her saying it. However, it used to be rather quiet before, and now it's so loud that it's easily heard despite your position on the battlefield, and all the recent noise!
    ("Retreat. Sesus Tanime, assist me.")

"You will pay for this, scum!" The warstrider throws its improvised weapon down - coincidentally or not, at Iskira's direction, who manages to spring back and partially block the impact with her shield, but the tree's thicker end falls right down on her, knocking her to the ground. At the same time, Tanime's machine bursts into a powerful sprint - it is fast, taking about ten yards with each step! It rushes into the rough direction of Emerald Star and Arsa, and is so fast that you cannot possibly hope to keep up the pace and try to obstruct its path (of course, then you'd probably be crushed under giant, metal feet). Star can only sense thundering earth shakes as the armor closes in - but it doesn't intend to attack, instead running past you, about five yards away. As the warstrider passes, Arsa jumps atop its shoulder in a long, but almost instant leap - but Tanime doesn't stop at that, and the machine keeps going, further and further away from you! Neither of them look back...

What is left is a wounded Dragon-Blooded immaculate monk. Kadree is obviously close to him, but others can probably reach him in a turn of running. Probably. And there's also Iskira - she seems to be in trouble.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2007-12-01 at 11:39 PM.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ettin in the Playground

Insar

OOC: (I'm assuming that there is no hope of catching up to the warstrider and that combat is over. If not, I will change this post by a ton.)

Panting heavily from his overuse of Essence, Insar leans upon his sword for a moment to catch his breath, watching the huge golem retreat through the trees. "It looks like . . . we won," He gasps out between breaths. Leaving Legacy wedged into the earth for a moment, Insar will stagger over to Iskira and use the last of his Essence enhanced strength to heave the log off of her. The dazzling dragon coiling around his arms and body dissolves back into a corona of blue and gold light as the heavy tree trunk falls to the ground with an earth shaking thud. "Are you alright? You'd better be, because I'd hate to have to carry you."
    Last edited by Kyeudo; 2007-12-02 at 01:27 AM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Banned

Star

((Incorrect. I can carry everyone much faster than the warstrider with Stormwind Rider. Up for it?))

Star makes note of the thundering warstrider as it passes her.

"If we let them retreat, we'll have the Wyld Hunt upon us within a week. Finish with that monk so we can chase after them," she calls out behind her. She doesn't sound very hurried, but she doesn't seem terribly patient either.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Banned

"I see..." It seems Berroc caught Star's words as well. "I have no idea what devilish trick you will use to catch up to my friends, but I won't allow you to use it!" He stands in a battle ready position, his arms held before him, ready to block any attacks aimed at him. With a torso smeared with blood - his own blood, it looks a bit pathetic, you are sure he does not have much chance. He probably realises that as well. Despite that, the anima banner around him only gets more intensive.

Insar manages to flip the tree without much effort, but it seems Iskira, who was lying on her back, is in a bad shape. She looks battered and heavily bruised, with several bleeding spots - some caused by large wooden splinters in her skin, but there is also a large, nasty cut on her forehead, across her brightly-glowing exaltation mark. She is in a mess, with even more splinters and other plant-related trash all over her armor, clothes and hair, and blood from her forehead's wound is mixed with... tears, as it reaches her eyes. Her left arm looks strained and twisted in a worrying way, it could even be broken (but you are not sure without performing a more detailed analysis). She notices you and, something you never saw before, fresh tears appear in her half-closed eyes.
    "I thought... I was going to die... Did you see... where is Oak?" Her voice sounds weak and shaky, and she closes her eyes with a very quiet sigh. It's obvious she's not dead though, because her chest moves up and down as she breathes.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2007-12-02 at 02:25 AM.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Barbarian in the Playground

Mariko watches the warstrider and Arsa leave, but quickly decides that there are more pressing problems at the moment. Kadree seems capable of dealing with the Immaculate for the time being, so she hurries over to Iskira's side. As soon as Insar has lifted away the tree, Mariko kneels at her side, examining her wounds and performing what first aid she can.

"We'll figure out where Oak's gone off to in a moment. Right now, I need you to relax, and let us help you." Even as she speaks, her hands quickly and gently move across the other woman's body, pressing against the worst of the wounds to slow the bleeding. Iskira's cloak becomes a sacrifice in the name of emergency medicine, as Mariko uses one of her knives to slash it into strips for bandages. If it appears that Iskira will be able to handle the pain, she'll set the arm if the bone proves broken, lashing an improvised splint to it with more of the shredded cloak.

Spoiler
    Show

Wits+Medicine: (5d10)[7][3][4][4][6](24)
    Spoiler
    Show

Zöe Althira in When On Olympus
    Ratri Aeval in Double Major
    Mercedes Swift, Scion of Hermes, in ???
    Haiiro Mariko in The Scarlet Shadow
    Kris "Krash" Ashton in Colony
    Karen Mallory in Changing Breeds

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

"I have two things for you.", says Kadree, still breathing a bit heavily, though she has no trouble standing up now (or so I'd asume...). "Why is this scroll so important to you? Why were your friends willing to kill someone for it, and ended up dying instead?"

She waits for his response before continuing, and unless he answers in some very unusual way... "And the second thing is..." She looks at his battered, bloody form, and sighs heavily. She releases the grip on her sword and it falls down to the ground with a loud clank. "Enough blood for today. You were told to retreat - have you forgotten that order already? You will not be hit in the back, and we will not pursue you or your friends - we'd be lucky if they didn't meet with those leggionaires before we started going after them." She makes a short pause. "It ended just like I said - some of you died, because you couldn't take no as an answer. If you don't want it to happen again, please don't go after us."
    Last edited by Tengu; 2007-12-02 at 07:24 AM.

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat

7. - Top - End - #277
    Banned

"Do... do not worry... I believe I am not going anywhere." Iskira smiles weakly. It may be for your efforts or her willpower, legendary for Solars, but her wounds stop bleeding significantly. Aside from her overall bad'n'battered state, there doesn't seem to be any major damage which could prove dangerous - her armour protected her well. Alright, except for the arm... it is indeed broken. You can only hope that the Exalteds' fast healing includes mending bones.
    There is nothing to indicate it being a bad idea, so you quickly grab her arm and set it in a correct position. As expected, she cries out in pain as you do that, but at least she does not comment and by the audibility of her groan makes it obvious that Iskira is trying to control herself, protecting the resolve (or perhaps dignity) from falling apart completely.
    Nevertheless, you set the broken limb and quickly wrap it with the cloak's shreds as splints. You can only hope you did it correct, but you have a feeling that you did.

Berroc reacts to Kadree's words by taking a step back, but not by lowering his arms. "I cannot tell you! This is a secret more important than my life!" As you drop your sword, he looks genuinely surprised, but still ready for action. He looks around, making sure that no one else is approaching, then his face returns to a determined expression. "I... how should I know this is not a trick? I faced deceit before. What proof you have that you and others will keep this word?"

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

"You have nothing but this word - even if you don't take it for much. But, despite what you might think, we're not animals or monsters. Tell the others what I said to you."

Kadree turns back and looks around, checking where did Oak and the animals that belong to the group go. She walks away slowly looking for them, but doesn't move away too much from the monk yet, unless he decides to go away and nobody follows him.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Banned

The monk hesitates for a second, looking around again. He notices that no one tries to approach him in threatening manner, sighs (you could swear you heard him sighing like that before... in fact it was this morning - hell of a long day) and turns around warily, to run in the same direction as the warstrider did - but obviously not so fast.
    "I won't forget this!" He shouts back.

As Kadree's sight sweeps the area, looking for lost mounts and Oak, she is approached by Emerald Star. "Kadree!" She says in a collected tone, but her face looks slightly upset. "Are you aware what the Wyld Hunt is? We can't let any of these people survive, or they will alarm it and we will have dangerous guests paying a visit all the time. Give me one reason why I shouldn't weave a Stormwind Rider sorcery and chase after them. Remember, this isn't only a matter of honour - our lives are at stake."

Kadree notices a figure closing in from the town's direction, leading two mounts by their bridles - one with each hand. You recognise one of the mounts as your mule, and it's obvious that it's Oak. He is rather far away - about 200 yards. How did he managed to run so far and not receive any wounds in the midst of battle? So far it is a mystery.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2007-12-02 at 10:55 PM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

Insar

"Star, we have more important things to deal with right now. Iskira is not in any condition to fight, I'm exhausted, and that Warstrider didn't even look dinged. I say we must find some place to hunker down for a while where we won't be disturbed and recover our strength. The Wyld Hunt is dangerous, but its dangers can be escaped. I did it once, and I think I could do so again."

Spoiler
    Show

Can we get XP? That combat deserved some all around, I think.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Banned

(Patience! No rush with XP - but expect it soon anyway.)

Star looks reluctant, but finally nods. "You are right. Perhaps it really was the best course of action." She folds her fans with a snap, and hangs them back at her waist. Taking a walk towards Iskira, she finds her already being taken care of by Mariko, so instead she kneels down to take care of her own wound.

Soon enough, Berroc disappears into the distance, leaving you alone with two corpses of fallen Dragon-Blooded. And with Oak - it was indeed him, and walked as fast as he could while still managing to lead a horse (his own) and a mule (Kadree's).

As soon as he is close enough to see what exactly went on, he releases the mounts' bridles and jumps forward to Iskira.
    "Young lady Iskira, can you hear me? How do you feel?" He looks worried - it is obviously present both in his moves and voice.
    "I'm, I will be alright." She answers with eyes closed. "My friends saved me, and... you saved yourself. You are alright, and I am glad..."

"You know better than not that I'd sacrifice my other eye to make sure you won't get hurt." Oak looks relieved.
    "As soon as that warstrider jumped on us, the young lady ordered me to run." He explains what happened. Hmm, it seems he knows what a warstrider is, too. "Not that I had much choice, the horse panicked. I laid low on it as much as I could, and it seems the enemy was too busy fighting you to notice me. Speaking of which, I am glad that you managed to defeat them." He points at Haskel's cleaved body. "I do not wish to anger their spirits, so perhaps we should bury them. If we have enough time."
    Last edited by Cubey; 2007-12-03 at 12:06 AM.

12. - Top - End - #282

Once she's satisfied that Iskira's arm is as good as it's going to be for the moment, Mariko leaves Iskira talking with Oak, and goes to survey the bodies of the two fallen Terrestrials. She hopes to find some clue as to their purpose in seeking the scroll, but anything else she finds that is of interest will also be appropriately noted.

At Oak's last suggestion, Mariko nods her agreement, without looking up from the corpse in front of her. "That would be the decent thing to do, and aside from their attempt to rob and murder us, I really don't have any grudge against them. Does anyone know what sort of burial customs are appropriate among Dynasts?"

Spoiler
    Show

Perception+Awareness, for searching? (8d10)[6][10][8][10][7][9][9][10](69)
    Intelligence+Lore, to know about funerary practices in the Realm? (4d10)[7][2][2][5](16)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

"Digging two holes and putting them inside would probably work, but I don't know do we have enough time for that - our newly-made enemies might change their minds. But I'm glad that everyone from us is more or less alright!" Kadree whistles, calling Norbo, and prepares something to quickly and comfortably transport Iskira - preferably use some sheets of cloth to make stretchers to be carried between two horses.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Banned

Mariko's search of the bodies yields very tangible results!

Haskel was closer. The following are items of use and interest:
    -Black jade reinforced breastplate. Its lower plates (ones intended to cover the legs and lower body) are disattached thanks to Insar's powerful strike, but it could be fixed by a smith used to work with such material.
    -His daiklaive, of course. It's from black jade too.
    -An amulet he carried on a chain around his neck. It was pretty low and therefore covered by his breastplate. This trinket is pitch black and its probably jade too - with a single, clear gem in its setting. It doesn't take much to figure out what this is.
    -Three papers of interest. Two first were on the ground next to his arm, the last was stuffed in his shirt. These two are written in Riverspeak, and they apparently were supposed to be your payment - a document, entitling its owner to withdraw an equivalent of FIVE JADE TALENTS in jade (if available) or silver in any Guild bank, and a second one which states that the owner can have two any pieces of armor crafted by someone named Zerko Morningsky, located in Nexus (there is an address) - free of charge. These two are signed, sealed and look official.
    The third paper is written in Low Realm, and there are only few words written on it. "Glorious Burning Tree knows the code." And below it: "Nexus".
    -His signet ring. The symbol on it is the same as the one on sealed documents.

Apart from clothing and things mentioned above, Haskel had nothing else on him. He either traveled suspiciously light or hid some stuff elsewhere. Examining of Natakar's body reveals an interesting fact - despite his messy death, not a single drop of blood stains his body. The blood is everywhere around him, but not on himself nor on his clothes. In fact, his being is impeccably clean, even after death. You sense magic in work.
    He had even fewer possessions:
    -A red jade longbow. It's obviously enchanted too, making it a powerbow.
    -Quiver full of arrows - broadhead, frog-crotch and target. The quiver itself looks valuable enough, because it's finely crafted and decorated.
    -A silvery, collar-like necklace with white jade accents.

It is a good thing that the Dragon-Blooded use jade as their chosen Magical Element. That way, anything jade just screams "magic". Well, excluding coins... maybe not everything then.

As for the bodies themselves... "It isn't burial that's important, but the fact that their souls reach Heaven and are not trapped inside the rotting flesh." Star chimes in. "I can burn their bodies with my touch. That will be more than enough, and of course it's fast." From what you know about funerary customs, she speaks truth.

As for Iskira, seeing Kadree's efforts to create some sort of carrying equipment for her, she... tries to stand! "I am alright... I can walk! There is no need to... carry me, please believe me." She even manages to make several swaying steps before falling down on her rump. "Ow! I am... it is alright. I believe I did not break anything by the fall. The ground fled from my step, and unfortunately I lost my balance." She looks embarrassed, sitting there like that, and you can swear that she even blushes slightly.

"Our destination's still the same?" Oak inquiries. "The ruins aren't far away, I think I can carry the young lady horseback as a passenger. Granted we don't run into Dragonbloods again, it should be safe and comfortable."

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

Insar

Insar will gather the Dragon-Bloods' equipment (the stuff no one else claims) up and stow in a his saddle bags. He will remove the Hearthstone from the jade amulet and wear the pendant, after placing his own Hearthstone in the setting. My Hearthstone is much more usable on an amulet than on my foecutter.

"I say we head to the ruins to camp out for the night before we do anything else. It will take hours for my anima or Star's to return to normal, so I couldn't be seen in public until it does anyway." Insar pulls his blade back out of the ground and replaces it in its harness, Cloud Strife style.

16. - Top - End - #286

Mariko nods to Star. "That sounds right." She helps Insar separate the corpses from their artifacts, and tucks Haskel's papers into an inner pocket in her tunic lining, after taking a moment to look them over more thoroughly. "It seems that they have a lead on someone who might be able to help them decode the scroll. Or rather, now we have a lead."

Spoiler
    Show

Does Mariko recognize the name "Glorious Burning Tree"? Rolling Intelligence+Larceny, as that seems the closest thing to Streetwise. If another Ability is more appropriate, let me know.
    (4d10)[10][5][5][3](23)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

"Sorry Iskira, but you can see you're just not in the shape for riding alone! Better do as Oak says." Kadree fills her own quiver with Natakar's arrows. She looks intently at his amulet in one of her hands and Haskel's hearthstone in the other. "Wonder what do these do... and I think we should stay in that ruins for some time, but after that we should check some things in Nexus... we finally have clues now!" She says that after familiarizing herself with the documents, of course. She doesn't really claim any of the newfound items, apart from the arrows - it's better to share them after they know how they work, after all.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Banned

Since you have taken all items of interest, Star is free to immolate the bodies. She touches each of the Dragon-Blooded, and they quickly burst into flames.
    "We should be cautious. That clue could, too, be a potential trap." She says thoughtfully, looking at the burning fires.

There is nothing left for you to do in this place, so you continue to the ruins, leaving a slightly (or in some cases, more than slightly) damaged landscape as a testimony of the battle that took place. During the way, Mariko remembered why Glorious Burning Tree sounds familiar. Nexus is a huge place, but nevertheless that name had some fame as a rich and slightly eccentric person, prone to hosting parties. His (or her - you don't recall anyone mentioning the gender) mansion was very well-guarded, so most of the underworld you knew considered it a target out of their league.
    At any rate, the travel is suspiciously quiet and uneventful. You found the mounts and didn't seem to lose any belongings, Star's wounds are not serious and Iskira, who is sitting behind Oak on his horse and clinging to him with her healthy hand, seems not to be in any further health-related danger. From time to time you can see proofs that Tanime's warstrider was here - a hole in the ground here, a cracked tree there... speaking of which, her path seems to converge with yours. Could it be that she was going to the ruins as well?

Suspicions aside, after about two hours of travel you can finally see the ruins - large domed structures of metal and yellow stone, glorious in the past but now cracked and abandoned. The warstrider is nowhere to be found, waiting for you to finish the job. At least that is good.
    You approach the constructions - three buildings, one significantly larger than the others, and one of the smaller ones is nothing but a heap of stones now. There do not seem to be any people here - but to your surprise (or not, if you were being paranoid), there are traces of activity! A search reveals that there were about twenty-thirty people living here until recently, and they seem to have left in a hurry. In fact, there is a campfire set near one of the buildings, and it didn't burn out completely yet. There are no signs of violence. As for the identity of these people... assuming they were human beings - well, a more thorough search is required (wink wink, nudge nudge towards the d10s).

The place is puzzling, but also safe - at least for now, and you can stay here for a while at worst, and for a long time at best, if the squatters do not come back to interrupt you that is. What do you intend to do, now that you have reached the place?

No matter what the answer, the latest day was long and so full of events that it felt like a week, if not more. You receive 5 experience points each.

19. - Top - End - #289

"It might be a trap," Mariko allows, "but on the other hand, I doubt that they expected us to acquire this information by killing their commander. I've heard of Glorious Burning Tree; the rich eccentric type, with a mansion in one of the more upscale districts in Nexus. Security was tight enough that we never took any jobs there, before..." She trails off, going silent. She remains quiet for the rest of the journey.

When the group arrives at the ruins, Mariko notices the signs of recent habitation, and with no more than a single gesture for the others to be cautious and wait for her, goes to investigate. She begins with the ruins themselves, and will slowly spiral out from the site and into the surrounding woods.

Spoiler
    Show

Burning 5 motes of Personal Essence on Sensory Acuity Prana.
    Perception+Awareness: (11d10)[2][10][5][3][7][3][7][6][9][10][8](70)
    Dexterity+Stealth: (7d10)[3][6][2][4][8][1][6](30)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #290
    Banned

Mariko's observations confirm that there are no people who aren't you nearby - and good, because you think they'd have a fair chance to see you, or your friends. Here is what else you discover:
    -These people lived here in decent, but spartan, military conditions. For no longer than a week, too - they moved here recently, as quickly as they moved out.
    -Their evacuation - that's the most correct term, was fast, but they took most things with them, without much panicking and in discipline strange for such haste. They didn't seem to leave anything of value, nor anything to betray their nature.
    -They had three carts. You can clearly see the marks they left on the ground. There are very small pieces of jade dropped near the place where you assume one of the carts was left - too small to be of any value however.
    -They left in small groups, perhaps five men in each. Each group went in a different direction - from west, to north and east. Strangely, none took the path to the south.
    -Most important thing. The warstrider was definately here. You can see a large gouge in the ground where it landed, with earth and stones strewn around. It didn't stay here for long, and quickly left in roughly southwestern direction - more west than south.
    -The ruins, most unfortunately, do not have any mysterious relics of age past in them. If there were any present, they were scavenged years ago.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

OOC Question: What direction is the town from here?

22. - Top - End - #292
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    OOC Question: What direction is the town from here?
    It is northwest. You went in the southeastern direction.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

"I think it's obvious that those legionnaires stationed here, until they were ordered to move out! It should be safe here, but just in case they return after all, let's be cautious."

24. - Top - End - #294

"Agreed," Mariko said, her eyes still restlessly scanning the perimeter of the ruins. "I can keep watch while we get set up, and into the night if necessary."

Spoiler
    Show

Grah, post didn't go through the first time. Trying again...

What's to the south of here (the way the soldiers didn't go), and what's to the southwest (in the direction the warstrider went)? Do I need to roll Intelligence+Survival? If so...
    (4d10)[1][6][2][6](15)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #295
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jannex View Post
    What's to the south of here (the way the soldiers didn't go), and what's to the southwest (in the direction the warstrider went)?
    Taking the roll into consideration... trees. Probably.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Banned

On a more serious note, you can't find the end of the forest easily from your location. It would take at least a few hours of travel to reach it. After the wood ends, there are plains - forest are large, but relatively scarce in this area. It gets more woody in places like Bottomless Pool, which is quite a far distance away from you.

Oak starts to unpack the baggage, making the ruins as hospitable for normal living as... well, ruins can be. At least trying to. The first thing he does is to find a suitable place for Iskira to rest.
    "Young lady, you have to rest to regain your strength and get better."
    "I do realise that, Oak. I am no longer a child you taught and took care of for so many years." She sounds only very slightly annoyed, but it's obvious that she's recovering already. Typical Solar...

At the same time, Emerald Star excused herself, with an easy-goingness so typical for her but also so contrasting to the wound she received. Your group's sorceress takes an opportunity to study the Black Treatise you received as a reward for saving that backwater village.

The area looks peaceful enough. With good watch, you will see danger coming from a long distance. The most important question remains - how long are you going to dwell here? And what to do during the stay?

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

Insar

"I would say that the legionaires moved to encircle the town. Tommorow we shall have to sneak back to town and see what has happened in our abscence. For now, lets get inside." With that, Insar will head towards the largest of the domed structures.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Banned

The insides were stripped bare by the flow of time and enterprising scavengers. At least the stone floor (mostly cracked) is still here - but there doesn't seem to be any walls or floors inside the building, it's a one huge hall. Perhaps it was used as a warehouse?
    In other words, plenty of open space to do anything you want. None of your friends moved in to this one, apparently preferring the smaller structure - the one which is more than just a pile of stones that is.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

Insar

The big man will check out the smaller dwelling, to see if it would be more suitible for a temporary dwelling.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

Kadree is up until late night, scouting a bit around the ruins, making sure nobody comes, and practicing combat - with the biggest accent on the last one, in fact. She was already very close to creating a particular maneuver, and now there's enough time to try mastering it...

In other words, she does nothing important.

Spoiler
    Show

I will spend 5 experience to learn a combo with those charms:
    Excellent Strike
    Hungry Tiger Technique
    Dipping Swallow Defense