New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Banned

Default Re: The Scarlet Shadow IC

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling Charisma+Performance, 1 stunt die. Technical difficulties (or me being tired at 2AM), please standby!
    Last edited by Cubey; 2007-10-28 at 07:37 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Banned

(((8d10)[4][3][1][7][9][8][4][8](44)

I'd normally just edit it in, but rolls can't be edited in.

Aaand, that's 4 successes. I'll take it.))
    Last edited by Brickwall; 2007-10-28 at 07:38 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Banned

You hear many gasps when you throw the fans in the air - and when you catch them, everyone in the crowd starts cheering! People raise their arms euphorically, some of the more enthusiastic ones even jump or dance around, several (mostly women and the elderly) cry tears of joy, and those of them who wear hats of any kind throw them in the air. It's a good thing that they didn't bring torches and pitchforks - if they started to throw these, there would be casualties for sure.
    Definitely a good first impression. The only reason why the peasants didn't rush forward to carry you on their arms across the village is probably because they are too awed of you.

Iskira faces Star with a smile: "I... could not say it better myself! They all know now that we really are the saviours they were waiting for. And this is just a start, because when the raiding beast-men arrive, we will show them the real power and glory of the..." She bites her tongue. "Dawning Sun."

Fox, who already was grinning widely, now is beaming so much that it looks like if he was going to explode from overloaded joy.
    "That's what I meant! From what heavens did you descend to bless us with your presence? You people are big damn heroes, and I bet everyone in the village will do everything they can to help you in defense! You want us to do anything, just say a word!"

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Insar

"It would be helpful if we could find some way to slow down the beast men from closing to this structure. Trenches, barricades, overturned carts, whatever we can find. The longer it takes the beast men to get here, the easier we can cut them down. We don't need to keep them away completely, just slow their advance."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Banned

Star

Star gracefully takes her leave of the crowd and returns to conference with Old Fox and the other mercs.

"I'm afraid the barricades and placements will have to be left to those with experience in such things. I only had a general idea. Now, I need to find the Elder. She should have the offerings I'll need to offer to the well god. Where is she?"

6. - Top - End - #66
    Barbarian in the Playground

Barely breathing, Mariko looks down through the leaves at the creatures as they pass, focusing primarily on their leader, though trying not to miss a single detail about the group. She will note the direction of their progress, and glance across to Nanilt, as much to observe his reaction as to check that he remains safely unobserved. Then her gaze returns to the leader and she concentrates, trying to absorb every detail about him to report to her team in the morning. Unless she or Nanilt is discovered or her guide moves, she will not so much as twitch a muscle until the entire group is out of earshot.

Spoiler
    Show

Spending five motes of Personal Essence once again on Sensory Acuity Prana; this is basically the moment she's been waiting for to use it.

Perception+Awareness (with Charm bonus): (11d10)[2][5][2][10][7][4][5][10][9][4][8](66)
    Spoiler
    Show

Zöe Althira in When On Olympus
    Ratri Aeval in Double Major
    Mercedes Swift, Scion of Hermes, in ???
    Haiiro Mariko in The Scarlet Shadow
    Kris "Krash" Ashton in Colony
    Karen Mallory in Changing Breeds

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Kadree pats Star on the shoulder with a wide smile. "Hey, great job! Much more impressive than me or Insar lifting a cart over the head."

She raises her voice, talking to Fox now. "We will need a lot of people willing to dig, and a lot of wooden poles! One of those posts should be thick, long and stable, the other ones need to be strong enough to pierce a beastman's skin when sharpened." She grins. "If this succeeds, we will not have to fight a lot."

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat

8. - Top - End - #68
    Banned

Mariko:
    Judging from all of your senses (not only sight), the group has about 40 beast-men in it. Their weapons are either stone or rusted, and crude to a single one, excluding the big one's sword. They are armed with axes and spears, some have swords - and several of them carry spares, probably for throwing. The greatest beast-man seems to do something interesting - when not busy chopping down trees and bushes, he grasps one of his hands around a necklace you can barely see from your position - or you could, if it wasn't for the charm. It seems to be made from a yellowed, very large fang.
    Other beast-men are more or less the same - savage, angry-looking, for some reason all seem to be male... one is a little different. He seems to hang around the titanic one, but keeping out of his reach and eyesight. He is only slightly smaller, if ever, than the typical boar-man from this party, but his moves have a certain sneaky slickness... and he seems to be one-eyed.
    Every minute seems like an eternity, but finally the beastmen are nowhere to be seen or heard. Nanilt takes a breath and sighs deeply, obviously relieved.
    "So, we got your adventure dear Lady. I hope you are happy - was hard to even notice that large chief of them, guess we were lucky this time. Let's go back, we'll take a different route so not to run into them." He starts to climb down the tree, offering you a helpful hand on the way down. If you accept the offer, you can feel that the inside of his hand is very sweaty, he was very stressed during the observation.

Everyone:
    "Poles, digging, barricades... alright! I'll organise the people now, you just stay here! As for the offerings, the Elder told us about them, and we're done with it! We dropped them by the well!" Fox points in a direction, but you can't see much in that way because of the euphoric crowd. Then, he bows down again and starts to yell at the people, issuing commands. Some of the village folk quickly run away, probably to do what he told them to, and others follow in a slower pace. Soon enough the area is empty enough (but that's not saying much, there are still dozens of villagers watching you in admiration) to actually see the well Old Fox was pointing at - and there seems to be a pile of some small items stocked near it, as well as several human figures waiting. It's too far to make any details from this distance.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Banned

Star

Star positions herself a bit away from the well and offerings, so that she has a clear space around her. She opens the fans and takes a strange stance. Suddenly she erupts into some sort of dance. It is not a short dance, and appears to invoke a tale, one of lovers and spirits, ecstasy and pain, and concepts beyond what words can convey. The rapid movement of the fans creates a light breeze around her as the dance gets quicker. She finally finishes in a position on one knee, but this time she does not look up to any crowd that may have gathered, but to the well in front of her.

Spoiler
    Show
    This is the Heavenly Thunder Leaves ability. I'm spending a Willpower for 1 automatic success, and my dice pool is 7 (Dex+Perf+1) before any stunts, thanks to the modifier from said fans. Difficulty 3.
    (7d10)[6][9][4][9][2][2][8](40)

It should be noted that any extra successes add dice to my next social roll with the spirits involved.

Also invoking Spirit Detecting Glance for 3m of Personal Essence, so I can see my new audience.
    Last edited by Brickwall; 2007-10-29 at 07:10 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Banned

As you close in, it seems that the items at the well are simple clay pots. They are covered in cloth and so it isn't possible to see what is inside of them.

One stunt roll: (1d10)[3](3)

Small spirits are visible as they curiously watch the performance. It is really true that you can find gods everywhere, but none of them look like the well's spirit.

It isn't until a whole minute passes that it shows itself. Ascending from the well's water surface, its god looks like a tall, blue-skinned humanoid of an indeterminate gender, its hair and clothing alike formed from endlessly flowing water. However, the spirit's face is surprisingly humanlike, its amber eyes not turning away from you, watching intently. It does not say anything, and you are not sure if the god knows you can see its presence or not.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2007-10-29 at 07:44 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71

"It was not 'adventure' I was looking for, but information," Mariko replies simply, "and yes, I'm satisfied with the results." She hesitates a little before taking his hand; she can dismiss the indirect insult to her skills easily enough, but close contact with strangers makes her a bit uneasy. She does, however, accept his offer of aid, and once on the ground she turns to face him. "I do appreciate your agreeing to lead me here. I know that coming out here wasn't pleasant for you."

She will follow him back out of the forest, still remaining alert for unexpected threats. While she doesn't lower her guard completely, Mariko finds that her guide's nervousness during their scouting has allayed a few of her concerns about him. Before, he seemed... too sure of himself. As if he were hiding something. Which he may still be; there's more to him than he's letting on. But the way he reacted to those things made it seem like his intentions might not be negative. Perhaps. It remains to be seen.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

What Kadree intends to do:
    Find a place where the ground is loose enough, so digging won't take ages. Make the villages dig a huge hole. Put sharpened poles at the bottom. Put the solid, blunt pole at the middle, its top at the ground's level. Conceal the whole trap with dirt-covered mats or something similar.

Currently, though, she is watching Star's ritual, fighting herself not to show how amazed she is - after all, she has never seen spirit communication before!

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Insar

Insar will do his best to arrange whatever fortifications the villagers can find or make so that they enclose the central building as much as possible, then lends his aid where ever needed to speed the job along, including grabbing a shovel and helping with the digging of trenches. He makes sure the villagers know to pile the dirt on the side of trenches towards the central building in a berm.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Banned

Mariko:
    "Couldn't let you go alone, dear Lady - even if you went here and back safely, we'd all be worried sick! Sides... best I can do to help. It's up to you people to do the fighting now. Nanilt doesn't say anything other than these words. You two navigate the forest, careful not to run into the beastmen band but still maintaining a good speed.

You are starting to feel a bit tired, having traveled for a long time with little rest. Still, you should be at the village a long way before the beast-men arrive there.

The travel is fast and uneventful. At about noon, you arrive at the village. And yes, the raiders are visible from the Hunchback (largest hill) now, even if barely.

Everyone:
    Your plans work well, as the villagers are very eager to help you. Unfortunately I can't advance the plot further until I get a post from Brickwall *nudge nudge*.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu View Post
    Currently, though, she is watching Star's ritual, fighting herself not to show how amazed she is - after all, she has never seen spirit communication before!
    ((And she can't now, spirits being invisible things unless they decide to manifest.))

Star

Star retains her bowing position in front of the well god. She begins addressing it, and all the other assembled gods, in Old Realm.

Spoiler
    Show
    "God of the well of Bottomless Pool," (insert a few other Old Realm formalities here)"I come here to ask for your aid. In a short time, boarmen from the east will descend ujpon this village, intent on its destruction. Though we make many efforts to gain the advantage over them, we are only so many, and we are only so strong. We need your help, and the help of all the gods of this town. Without it, our destruction, and perhaps the destruction of the very objects that you rule, is too great a possibility. I ask that you, god of the well, aid us in our struggle, and put out any fires should the beastmen put the homes of these people to the torch. In return, we shall give you these offerings. And all you other gods, we ask for your blessings, however you can give them, and in return you shall have many prayers of thanks for the span of these people's lives. Will you aid us?"

((What do I roll on this?))

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

((I thought the spirits have manifested, and that's why they're visible...))

In such a case, unless Star starts something more interesting than dancing and talking with air in a strange language, Kadree helps set up the traps. When she notices Mariko and Nanilt approaching, she wipes the sweat from her brows and waves to them in one fluid motion. "Hey! You're back - the boarmen haven't eaten you! What have you seen, huh? Got a glance of that huge thing that's with them? I hope Norbo was useful!"
    Shower of questions, alright.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu View Post
    ((I thought the spirits have manifested, and that's why they're visible...))
    ((No...I'm using spirit sight here. I said so. It's what lets me see and hear spirits. Unless you have it, you probably can't see any of them.))

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

((Yeah, just found it in your post. My "I'm not the ST, don't have to read spoilers carefully" approach is giving me feedbacks.))

19. - Top - End - #79
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show
    Presence+Charisma roll, including 1 extra die for excess success earlier:
    (8d10)[6][1][8][3][8][2][5][1](34)
    2 successes

"What times are these that mortals call upon gods, interrupting their duties!" The spirit answers in Old Realm as well, its voice melodious but irritated. It closes forward to you in graceful steps, then suddenly twitches visibly. "But I see your point. I have no other choice, do I? I will do as you ask... for a price." It stretches its hand forward, its fingers reaching toward your forehead. You do not feel their touch, but instead only a sensation of moisture of where they would touch the skin if the spirit manifested.
    "Your offerings please me, but it's not enough. That's from the village, but I want something from you as well. I expect a small gift of yourself, a souvenir to remind me of who called upon me. A nail clipping, lock of hair or drop of blood... that will do. An eyeball is fine, too." The spirit laughs, showing that the last part was just a joke. In the same time, the pots with the offerings inside burst into bluish flames, quickly consuming whatever was inside them to the surprise and shock of watching villagers!
    Last edited by Cubey; 2007-11-01 at 02:46 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80

Mariko glances mildly over at Emerald Star as the blue flames surge up near her, though she isn't particularly surprised; Star was speaking in that language she uses when she talks to spirits, so something odd was bound to happen. Her eyes sweep the crowd, trying to catch the gaze of as many of the other Exalts as she can before returning to Kadree. She nods.

"The scouting was a complete success," she says softly, not wanting to be overheard by the surrounding villagers just yet. "I have a great deal to report, if we can find somewhere a bit more quiet. Obviously Star is busy, but perhaps the others can spare a few minutes." Her voice drops even more, so that she has to lean forward a little for Kadree to hear her. "They've started their march, but at the pace I saw, it will be some hours before they arrive here."
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Banned

Star ((is wishing she had taken those Essence-lending charms now))

Why do I get the feeling that I'm glad I didn't look in those jars...

Swiftly, and without warning, Star's right fan spins around, crossing to strike her own left hand. She holds up her left index finger- a straight cut has been drawn across the tip, and blood starts oozing out of it.

Spoiler
    Show
    "I do not spill my blood lightly, and it is no mean feat to spill it. Understand that this is a grave offering, one made of great necessity. You will understand its true value as you receive it."

Obviously the scene looks very odd, but Star looks completely serious and composed. She's done this before.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Banned

(Sorry for the slower pacing recently - I was busier than normal during the last few days.)

The god nods, obviously content at Star's sacrifice. Good, good! You will receive what you ask for, our deal is set and finalised."
    Backflipping from the current position, the spirit launches itself into the well where it lands with a loud splash. Why is it that people in this village never wait for you to finish conversations?
    Other gods scuttle closer - their presence was obviously kept at bay by the presence of the well's god. They do that only to nod in acknowledgement, and then to leave in an unhasty fashion. "Fair deal, fair deal..." You hear whispers in Old Realm. It seems they accept your offer too.

And that would be it for supernatural barter, at least for now. The pots are left charred and broken into pieces - what was inside of them anyway? It is time to help Bottomless Pool in more mundane ways, and (as some noticed already) Mariko and Nanilt returned already, receiving much attention from the villagers. "We need someone fast to watch the beastmen moving and tell us when they're too close." Says the green-haired man, after satiating the peasants' curiosity by saying that in fact they saw the raiding group.
    "That's not all." He says before anyone volunteers themselves. "We know what the big thing is. Looks like their leader, massive too. No wonder why they moved out - if such a beast tells them to jump, they jump."
    Everyone around gasps in shock. Nanilt's expression is a bit uneasy too, probably because the bad news he brought were revealed in such a casual manner. But then, the villagers look at themselves and each other, and them stare at you with a brave and hopeful look.
    "You can do it! We count on you! Big trouble for the big one!" Some of the more enthusiastic ones start to cry out.

"Indeed! Trust your hopes in us, as we will not fail them! The monstrous attackers shall not pass beyond us, no matter how hard they try to beat us down!" You hear from behind the crowd, which steps to sides to reveal the speaker (like if you didn't recognise her by the voice already). It's, of course, Iskira, standing in a heroic pose, her daiklave (unsheathed!) held high above her head, reflections glinting over its golden surface, her body clad in battle-ready armour and her plaited hair dramatically trashing in the wind. She moves past the dumbfounded peasants towards you, a decisive expression of a general ready to lead the first cavalry charge on her face.
    However, as soon as she's in whisper range, her expression dramatically changes. She looks embarassed and somewhat sickened - definately not heroic, more like... comical even. Good that the villagers can only see her back.
    "Umm... I don't feel very good. Stupid horse travel..."
    Last edited by Cubey; 2007-11-02 at 05:57 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83

wink Re: The Scarlet Shadow IC

Mariko tries not to glare at Nanilt; his subdued manner on the journey back to the village had allowed her to forget what a big mouth he had. She'd been hoping to brief her friends first, so they could control the dissemination of information to the villagers and not risk them panicking. She sighed. Well, done is done. I still need to round up the others and--

Her train of thought is cut off when she sees Iskara looking unwell. "Come on," she tells the other woman softly, leaning in close gesturing vaguely in a direction away from the crowds, "let's find a place to sit and discuss what I saw."

Spoiler
    Show

Perception+Medicine, perhaps? Trying to figure out what's the matter with Iskira. (5d10)[5][9][10][9][7](40)
    Last edited by Jannex; 2007-11-02 at 08:03 PM. Reason: fixed color tags
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Insar

"Alright, everyone, lets get to work. We've only got until tommorow at the most to get ready, so lets make the most of it. If we get the fortifications done, we'll show those pig-headed fools why they should have stayed where they came from." Insar does his best to seem at ease with the prospect of battle, doing his best to project reasurance to the crowd of villagers. "I'll be back to help with the work once I hear all of what Mariko has to say." He says before joining Mariko and Iskira. As soon as their group is alone enough not to be heard, he speaks softly to Iskira, obviously annoyed. "I thought we agreed to do our best to keep the villagers from knowing we are Exalted. All that heroic poseing is going to do is blow our cover. Save the poses for after we have their gratitude."

Spoiler
    Show

Trying to reassure the crowd, so I think this would be it:
    Charisma+Prescence: (5d10)[5][5][3][8][10](31)

25. - Top - End - #85
    Banned

The crowd disperses, each villager going to find work. They are reluctant (not because they believe this is useless, but rather because they'd rather see what interesting things are going on with you all), but eventually you are left alone with no other human near. Even Nanilt disappeared somewhere.

In the meantime, Mariko finds a bench - well, a wooden log cut in half and polished enough to sit on without splinters. Taking a look at Iskira's condition is not as precise as more detailed physical examination, but you are rather sure she is alright. Her stomach is upset for some reason (she gets slightly greener on the face while sitting, as if to add weight to your theory), but this is all - aren't Solars supposed to be immune to normal ailements like this? And aren't the Zenith supposed to be the most resistant of them all? Or maybe it would be something more deadly for a normal human, but for a Solar it is but a digestion illness - somehow, you doubt this theory.
    The most obvious explanation - she got sick because it's Iskira. It must be karmic fate for all the prolonged speeches she gives.

"This is embarassing..." She says, trying to sit as comfortably as she can on the crude wooden furniture. "I cannot say I expected to feel bad for seemingly no reason... but it does not mean I will not help with preparation and defense! The lives of many people depend on it. Also, can you say what did you discover during your scouting, Mariko?" She asks the question with a politely curious expression on her face. It seems no sickness will make her any less long-winded than usual.
    After Insar's comment, here she opens her mouth again. Surprisingly, her tone of voice is apologetic.
    "I just wanted to improve the morale of the locals... they did look distressed by the news! I do not think any of them recognise what our weapons are really made of, so we are not going to be discovered prematurely. At least I hope we aren't - but if you think it is an issue, I will keep that in mind and try to act with greater discretion." Any further confessions are interrupted twofold - Iskira grabs her stomach with a very annoyed look on her face, grunting something under her breath, and a man closes in.

It is nobody else but Oak, who is for some reason carrying two buckets, each full of water. He is closing in from the well's direction, and his walk is slightly unsteadier than usual - he keeps spilling a few drops of water every step.
    "Ah! What a coincidence to find you here. Some company is looking for you all. I think they want to help you in defending the village, something about archery if I recall correctly." Funny how he never calls anyone of you Sir or Lady. "I saw them recently, that way." He points his arm in a direction, spilling a lot of water from one of the buckets as a result. He does not seem to mind that though.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

Insar

"I'll go see to the archers. You stay here with Iskira." Insar says to Mariko, before heading in the direction that Oak pointed. As he walks off, he can't help but wonder what the man was doing with those buckets.

27. - Top - End - #87

Mariko looks at Iskira, slightly concerned, but as the Zenith does not appear to be in serious danger at the moment, she sets her worries aside for later.

She is about to begin relating her experiences when Oak interrupts. With waning patience, she waits as he conveys the message about the archers. She's been awake all night, and would like to get a bit of a catnap in before she's needed to fight. When Insar speaks, she responds with a grateful nod. "That sounds good. Someone will make sure you're filled in on the relevant points."

Mariko sits with her chin resting on her clasped hands, elbows propped on her knees, as she concentrates on the details of what she saw. "There are roughly forty of the rank-and-file beast-men. They are burly creatures, all male, perhaps seven feet tall. They did not seem terribly clever or observant, and might be easily deceived. Their weapons are large, but crude--stone and rusted metal axes, spears, and swords. The leader is much larger, perhaps twice the size of one of his subordinates, and savage, able to fell small trees and bushes without apparent effort. He wields a large two-handed sword and wears a necklace made from a large fang of some sort. I got the impression that the latter was particularly significant to him. He was painted with signs and symbols, which I can sketch if anyone things them important. One of his subordinates struck me as particularly notable, in that he seemed somewhat smarter, or at least more canny, than his fellows. He was a bit smaller than the others, and lingered around the leader--just out of his reach and sight. He was missing an eye.

"The group was on the march when I saw them, but they were not moving particularly quickly. We should have a number of hours at least, before they arrive."
    Last edited by Jannex; 2007-11-03 at 03:30 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Kadree, being the only one in the company who knows anything about archery, goes to meet "some company". "Well, if our great leader decided to show off her blade, guess it won't hurt if I'll actually use Vanguard in the battle...", she mutters to herself. Norbo sits on a rooftop near Mariko and Iskira, listening to them.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Banned

"I think we can defeat such a number of them. Even if they are superior to normal humans in ability, and I think they will be - with good tactics no one of us should even receive a larger wound. I trust my skills, and yours as well." Iskira nods solemnly. "But I wonder about the leader you mentioned. Your description sounds like trouble - and maybe the necklace he has is some sort of an enchanted amulet? Perhaps a gift from a spirit?"

At the same time, Insar and Kadree go off to meet the village folk. At the edge of the settlement, you find eleven peasants - all of them carry self bows and arrows, as well-maintainted as it is possible for such a backwater village but still looking of a rather poor quality. The villagers themselves - eight men and three women, greet you with appreciative hails.
    "Our bows are yours to command. We used to shoot hunting animals and straw targets, but now it's time for bigger prey!" Exclaims one of them, a plain-looking man in his late 20s. "We gathered here as the Elder told us. Our best shot's coming, he'll be here soon! Ah, there he is!" He points at something behind your back. If you turn, you see... no one else but Nanilt himself, carrying a bow as well!
    "Hello! Dear Lady and Sir, although we farm the land mostly, we're men of many talents here, and I'm no exception. What's the plan? Where do you want us during the attack?"
    He rests over a nearby hut's wall casually, but not before bowing lightly. His bows are slighter and slighter each time it seems - he is getting more and more casual in each meeting.

30. - Top - End - #90

"It might well be," Mariko says in response to Iskira's speculations about the necklace. "It may be in our interest to make it a priority to destroy it, or otherwise deprive him of it. Perhaps Emerald Star, with her knowledge of things of the spirits, might have some insight?"
    Last edited by Jannex; 2007-11-03 at 03:29 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show