New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 47 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Scarlet Shadow IC

Kadree stands resolutely, "Alright then, listen! You should all hide on the rooftops of the village's tallest buildings, with two things in mind - the first one is to have a broad field of view, so you can fire to as many beastmen as possible. The second one is much more important! Your spots should not be easily accessible from land - the attackers must not reach you! I doubt will they have any ranged weapons, so you should be safe that way and their biggest advantage will be ruined! Also, keep hiding and do not shoot until there is a signal from one of us."

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

Insar

Turning to Kadree, the big man expresses his concern. "I think it best we keep the archers all together, where they can be more easily guarded. I suggest that they gather on the roof of the main building. It is the highest spot in this village and would give them the best field of fire, while keeping them as safe as possible. I do agree that they must wait for our signal, however, lest they waste their arrows."

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Kadree nods. "Well, it's the tallest building, is it not? Just make sure you are not seen by the incoming forces! And do not leave any ladders or similar items nearby, that could be used by the enemies to climb."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Banned

The archers nod, showing that they understand.
    "Sounds like a plan! Let's go practicing, gotta warm up before the real thing!" Says Nanilt, and (unless interrupted), the whole group walks a little away from the village to practice on... trees probably, or whatever else they found or prepared beforehand.

I am going to speed this a little up, unless you want to do anything more specific. The traps and fortifications are being laid out - the villagers work hard and do their best, but it may not be sufficient. Any help you offer to them is of great use and appreciated. Several fastest peasants have organised a watchout from the Hunchback - they switch themselves every few hours, reporting the progress of the beast-men. They are moving in an unhasty but steady manner, and the watchers assume they should arrive either very late in the night or in the morning tomorrow. And yes, they can see the big leader, and it unnerves them as they report. Iskira didn't started to feel better on her own, but after a discrete talk with the Elder, she received some kind of a herbal drink which helped her feel better. Surprisingly, she didn't talk so much after receiving it.
    The peasants themselves, after consultations with old Fox, all intend to hide in the Elder's house, as it is the biggest and the best barricaded one. It includes the armed ones (excluding bowmen), who will guard the insides of the gates, but will not defend the outsides. They also stockpiled on buckets of water in case of torching - they apparently do not know about the deal with the well god (nor does anyone of you who does not understand Old Realm, unless Emerald Star shared her discovery with you), and that's what Oak seemed to be helping with.
    Aside from praises from the villagers, you received warm and rich (for a small village) meals. Oak drank with more moderation, keenly observed by Iskira.
    Evening passes and the sun hides behind the horizon's line. The last watchers leave the Hunchback - both because the visibility is bad at night and because the raiders were pretty close already. Good news is that, according to the reports, they did not seem to wield torches or other light sources. While it makes them harder to notice, it probably means they will not try to burn the village down. All the peasants, who started gathering themselves and their most prized possessions inside or near the central building (it's pretty large so stuffing everyone in is no problem), are very worried and look at you with hopeful gazes.

All you can do now is discuss the last bit of tactics and wait, watching. That's assuming you didn't do anything important before that you didn't mention already - if you did, just say.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

During the intervening hours, Mariko will find some time to catnap, and scrounge some soot or grease with which to blacken the blade of her daiklaive. Knowing the properties of orichalcum, the disguise won't last terribly long, but it should help make it a bit more difficult for the villagers to identify her (and thereby the rest of the group) as Solars, as well as make her less noticeable in the predawn or early morning light.
    Spoiler
    Show

Zöe Althira in When On Olympus
    Ratri Aeval in Double Major
    Mercedes Swift, Scion of Hermes, in ???
    Haiiro Mariko in The Scarlet Shadow
    Kris "Krash" Ashton in Colony
    Karen Mallory in Changing Breeds

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Kadree, when nobody is watching, will summon her daiklave and then pull some blanket or other sheet around it carefully, so it won't look like a weapon, or at least not an orichalcum one. She will then rest for several hours.

Later in the evening, when the beastmen are getting close, she will hide it, and the rest of her weapons, on one of the rooftops near the pit trap - and she'll leave Norbo to guard it. Then, when they are really close, she will use 3 points of personal essence to enter Graceful Crane Stance, and stand on the pole in the middle of the trap. She will also try to make it look as normal as possible, as if she was balancing there by sheer outstanding dexterity alone.

"All good traps need a lure, right? Don't worry, I'm going to be alright!"
    Last edited by Tengu; 2007-11-06 at 06:18 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Insar will do his best to help with the fortifications, then see about getting anyone who may be participating in the fighting tonight/tommorow to get some rest early, so as to be better prepared for the boarmen.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Banned

Big post coming soon. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

9. - Top - End - #99

When the beast-men get closer to the village, perhaps twenty or thirty minutes before the battle is joined, Mariko will find a rooftop on which to perch--not too close to the elder's house where the peasant archers are, or to the place Kadree hid her weapons, but somewhere that will provide a good view of the incoming attackers. She will crouch low, behind a chimney column if there is one, and wait.

Spoiler
    Show

Dex+Stealth (7d10)[5][2][9][1][7][9][8](41)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

Once awakened with word of the beastmen's advance, Insar will ready his weapons and armor, then make sure everyone is aware and heading to their places. If nessacery, he will make sure than the ranks of militia that will be guarding the Elder's house have the spearmen in a 2nd rank behind the others.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Banned

As I mentioned before, all the villagers who are not archers are going to hide inside, but those of them who are armed will form a defensive force just at the gates, so that enemies who enter are for a bad surprise. Insar's instructions help them stand in a more tactical way, which will probably help if the house gets broken into... which will probably mean you are dead or too wounded to fight already, but oh well...

It is very late at night, the dawn is nearing AND the raiding party is visible now even from Bottomless Pool itself - the attackers have crossed the Hunchback and will be here in a very short time! The peasants erratically enter the Elder's building (those of them who didn't already, at least), and the gates are quickly closed and, judging by the sounds, barricaded from the inside. At the same time, bowmen climb up the building, one by one using the ladder, to hide themselves at the roof. Nanilt is last, and he pauses before going up.
    "This is it, huh? Wish I was able to help you in more active way now, fighting down here... guess I'd just get killed though. Well, give us a signal and we'll pincushion them beastmen!" He says, then starts to climb up. He is using the rope ladder, which gets swiftly taken up as soon as he's at the top.

It's all up to you now - there is no one at the ground level but the Solars... and Oak. "Oak and me will guard these gates with our lives! This is the last stand through which no raider or villain shall pass! That is... unless you need me elsewhere, then yell." Iskira is battle-ready just as you all, and Oak nods as he unsheathes his straight sword. These two stand in front of the entrance to the Elder's house, like elite guardsmen attending a king's palace.

You all get into positions, and wait... the minutes stretch painfully, and it seems like eternity before the enemy horde is visible. But finally, it is! The roving band is closing in, the hulking leader clearly distinguishable among his underlings, and Kadree with her trap is the closest to them.
    Just as the raiders almost reach the border of the village, something unexpected happens. The largest one waves his huge arms, and a group of boar-men separates from the party! There is less than twenty of them, and they hastily advance forward, glancing around and making a very bad impression of being cautious and aware of any potential traps.
    Before they are able to reach any of the bigger fortifications that the peasants (with some of your work) have made, they spot Kadree. And their reaction is almost immediate - hesitating for no more than a second, they move forward, their weapons at rest, wielded in a laidback manner, and squealing and grunting loudly.

What they intended to do will forever remain a mystery, because as soon as the first one gets close enough, he takes a very bad step and falls down into the disguised trip. Others were confused or careless enough, and a total of five get trapped! One of them is killed on the spot, unless these beastmen can survive being impaled right through the skull. Others are heavily wounded but alive, and it will take them some time to leave the pit, if they will be ever able to do that.
    The beastmen who did not get trapped (twelve, if you have time to count) quickly stop at the edge of the pit. Some of them look down in surprise, others glance around, but most glare at Kadree. It's better to do something really fast, as some of them loudly squeal in anger and ready their spears, obviously for throwing!
    The bigger group that stayed behind isn't charging forward, so it isn't likely that they caught more than a glimpse of what is going on. And what is going on is that the battle for Bottomless Pool has just started.

12. - Top - End - #102

From her position of concealment, Mariko scans the action below, her gaze searching specifically for the largest beast-man and his one-eyed companion. She fingers the falcon-headed throwing dagger in its sheath at her wrist, waiting for her opening. Mariko keeps a fraction of her attention on Kadree, though; if it seems that the other woman is in trouble, her plans may have to change.

Spoiler
    Show

Spending 5 personal Essence on Sensory Acuity Prana, to heighten her battlefield awareness.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Insar

Insar mentaly readies himself, awaiting the beastmen's charge from behind Kadree's trap. As the beastmen come into view, he channels some of his personal Essence to enhance his strength for the comming battle.

Spoiler
    Show

6 motes of personal essence spent on Increasing Strength Exercise, raising my Strength by 2 dots to a total of 6 dots.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Kadree does not wait for the beastmen to react - she knows better than just to stand there! The moment the trap is activated, she backflips onto the rooftop where she has hidden her weapons - quite an impressive jump! - and kneels down to grab her Daiklave, still covered in sheets, and buckler. She stands up high, trying to occupy the creatures' attention, and prepares to dodge the spears they are inevitably going to throw at her.

"Come on, I didn't expect you to be so dim to actually fall for that trap! Or maybe I actually did? Archers, shoot!!"

Spoiler
    Show
    1 essence to activate Monkey Leap Technique. Action for this turn - full dodge.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Banned

Three javelins fly at Kadree's direction, but she avoids them in a graceful (and superhumanly high) leap! Then, before the beast-men have a chance to realise what really is going on, one of them falls dead with an arrow in his eye! Immediately after that, broadheads rain down on them - unfortunately, most of them miss, but they leave yet another boar creature dead (ten left now), and some others slightly wounded and infuriated.

Suddenly, each of you feels a slightly wet touch-like sensation on your skin, and your movements become a little more fluid! There is no way that this is not supernatural in source - probably the local spirits offer you their help.

((+1 to Dodge rolls. And no, I'm not going to say how long it lasts))
    The beastmen grow even more infuriated and break their group, charging at Kadree's direction. Some of them are faster than others, and two were impetous enough that they were able to take large leaps and land on the same roof as her! They glare at Kadree vengefully, murder in their eyes.

((As I stated in the OOC thread, all of you except Kadree, who moved already, are too far away to close in to melee range in this round and perform any other actions. BUT you can close in into melee or near-melee range, or get into shooting or spellcasting distance and still perform an action.))

EDIT: The current "grouping" of the beast-men is as follows: two are on the roof with Kadree, three are at the pit, four are in the pit, and five are somewhere between the pit and the house. Just for reference.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2007-11-08 at 06:33 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Banned

Star

I can probably keep better track of things if I can co-ordinate my movements with the spirits.

Though it's impossible to see from her hiding place, a circular area on her forehead glints a little at certain angles.

Spoiler
    Show
    3 periph on Spirit Sight, or whatever that Charm's name is

17. - Top - End - #107
    Banned

Emerald Star notices no one else but the god of the well, smiling under its nose as it (What sex is it anyway? The robes, although water-like, are quite concealing, and other features look rather androgynous. Is it rude to ask? And does it even matter?) holds its arm out, the hand apparently having touched you just a short while ago.
    "The enemy walks on this village's grounds now, this is an additional gift to help you repel them. Go now! I do not wish to lose my domain!"

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

Insar

Insar runs towards the edge of the pit, drawing his sword as he does. As the last moment he leaps, sailing across the pit with ease. The edge of the straight blade glints in the light of the rising sun as he lands, sword ready to block any attack made against him.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Banned

Star

Star gives the god(dess) a brief nod and takes a look at the battlefield.

"Looks like this first group is going to be gone soon. Mariko should tell us if anything happens with the other beastmen. So far things are going smoothly. I'd better save my energy for the rest of the enemies, though. They're the ones I'm most worried about."

Without expression, she unfolds one of her fans in a direct motion, but makes no other move for the time.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Banned

((Next round is up - declare your actions! Don't forget about parries or dodges, and feel free to roll for initiative on your own. And yes, you'll probably beat the enemies on this roll, so assume you're going first. Ah, the joy of adds... Did I say that out loud? Ignore that please.))

The beast-men look surprised that another opponent has appeared, but they waste no time - they ready their melee weapons and look eager to spill some blood!

At the same time, Mariko notices from her high position that the largest boar-man noticed what is going on from his current location, as he is intently watching at the current events. He does not do anything yet, though.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

Insar

Insar sets his feet in a solid stance and swings a powerful blow, attempting to behead one of the boarmen. He lets the momentum carry the weapon back around and down over his head for a downward chop before bringing the blade back up into a guard position, ready for a counter attack.

Spoiler
    Show

Inititive: (10d10)[3][8][10][10][5][4][3][10][10][4](67)
    Attack 1: (8d10)[2][7][8][8][5][6][9][5](50)
    Attack 2: (7d10)[5][8][8][6][1][2][7](37)
    Parry 1: (4d10)[4][10][2][10](26)

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Kadree does not hesitate a second - seeing the creatures appear, she quickly removes the material from her Vanguard, its massive golden form, only a foot shorter than her height, glinting in the sun! She holds it in front of her, stabbing with force at one of the jumping beastmen, partially hitting him and partially letting him impale himself on it, then, with a broad swipe, throws his bode to the side and cleaves into the other one in one fluid motion! Then she leaps down, rallying a wordless battlecry, ready to assist Insar, slashing at the most nearby opponent with an overhead blow of her daiklave, tumbling at the ground to the next one, and chopping upwards at him!

Spoiler
    Show

Vanguard looks roughly like that, only, y'know, orichalcum. And proportionally bigger. Feel free to hate me for using WoW in Exalted.

Initiative: (15d10)[5][3][6][10][8][6][5][5][1][5][10][9][6][3][4](86)
    Attack 1: (13d10)[7][6][8][1][2][1][1][4][7][8][2][2][3](52)
    Attack 2: (12d10)[3][3][7][8][6][3][7][4][8][2][8][9](68)
    Attack 3: (11d10)[6][8][8][2][1][2][8][7][9][8][8](67)
    Attack 4: (10d10)[10][9][2][6][6][3][8][9][6][10](69)

If any of those attacks does not manage to kill/incapacitate the opponent, the next one is also aimed at him (and I'll have to change the description accordingly).
    Last edited by Tengu; 2007-11-10 at 05:53 AM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Banned

OOC part of the post.
    Spoiler
    Show

You guys misrolled initiative. You just roll one dice, add Wits, Dexterity and the weapon's bonus.
    Kadree: (1d10+15)[16]
    Insar: (1d10+16)[24]

Your enemies are surprised by the sudden attack, but not surprised enough not to try to parry your blows.

You also get 1 stunt die.
    Insar
    Attack 1: (1d10)[6]
    Attack 2: (1d10)[7]
    Parry: (1d10)[3]
    Kadree
    Attack 1: (1d10)[3]
    Attack 2: (1d10)[5]
    Attack 3: (1d10)[10]
    Attack 4: (1d10)[1]

Insar: both of the beast-men you are trying to kill wield short spears, and:
    (5d10)[1][5][10][3][9](28)
    (5d10)[3][3][5][7][4](22)

Kadree: one of the roof-jumping boar men wields a stone axe, the other - a rusty sword. The ones on the ground: a club-man and another axeman. Well, axe-boar.
    (2d10)[2][3](5)
    (3d10)[7][3][10](20)
    (4d10)[4][2][5][9](20)
    (2d10)[4][5](9)

I'll give you motes later today - after I re-read how many you get for stunts.

A casual observer would not notice anything more than two figures moving at frightening speeds, delivering wide, powerful slashes - and just a fraction of a second later, bloody red mist and flying pieces of broken weapons and beast-men bodyparts (mostly bodyparts) flying everywhere. Needless to say, all the opponents you faced died quickly and efficiently. There is not many of them left - four still in the pit (their reactions aren't known by you), and four on the ground level. They look extremely suprised by what you have done, horrified even. But they are either too desperate or too stupid to try to run away - instead, they charge at you blindly, letting loud warcries that resemble boarish grunts as much as their bodies resemble boars themselves.

The first three attack the nearest target - Insar. They miss horribly, you are able to avoid their attacks without breaking a sweat. The most accurate one (a spear-boar) finds his attack deflected casually by your oversized weapon.
    The fourth one, however, strikes at Kadree with his spear in a manner strangely calm and precise for such a demihuman barbarian - and scores 3 successes! -1 for the buckler leaves him with 2 - do you want to use a charm to avoid that attack, or do you prefer the blow to hit?
    Last edited by Cubey; 2007-11-11 at 09:37 AM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Banned

I forgot to add, if anyone of you wants to use reflexive charms (like Solar Counterattack), post that too. Also feel free to post what you do in the next round.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Kadree quickly spins Vanguard in her hand, holding it in a reverse way, and covers herself with the sword's bulk.

Spoiler
    Show

Dipping Swallow Defense - 2 motes of Essence.

[vroll]14d10[/vroll]
    Last edited by Tengu; 2007-11-12 at 10:02 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Argh!
    (14d10)[6][7][8][6][5][5][1][6][2][8][8][10][6][1](79)

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

Insar

"I was worried these creatures might actualy pose a challenge, but the reality is almost disapointing." Insar smiles cockily as he brings his blade around in a flurry of slashes, pressing the attack against the three beast men facing him. The blood on his sword shines a brilliant crimson in the morning sun as the blade tears through his enemy's flesh. With his free hand, Insar draws his knife from its sheath on his belt, readying the weapon to deflect the thrusts of the boarmen's spears.

Spoiler
    Show

I'm assuming your rolling damage for us, so tell me if I need to start rolling it for myself.
    Attacks:
    (7d10)[8][9][5][4][8][3][9](46)
    (6d10)[6][3][3][4][2][5](23)
    (5d10)[3][6][6][4][9](28)

I'm also declaring a parry attempt with my knife, but I'll wait to roll it until I see the successes on the boarmen's attacks so I can decide if I need to use a charm or not.

(Remember, I'm using an ordinary straight sword right now, not my Foecutter, so it isn't oversized in any way.)

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

"Guess we're just too good for them! Don't worry, the huge one is going to come in any moment now!" Kadree chops the beastman she's facing twice, still holding her sword upside-down - the second cut is mostly for a good measure, unless one of the creatures Insar is facing is still alive and conscious, in which case she quickly spins on one foot and directs it at that one instead. Then she springs into a defensive position, facing sideways , buckler in front of her and Vanguard held high behind and over her head - just in case.
    Spoiler
    Show

Attack 1: (14d10)[6][2][6][1][6][8][7][7][10][4][1][4][6][5](73)
    Attack 2: (13d10)[6][5][10][7][7][3][9][10][5][3][2][2][6](75)
    Parry: (9d10)[1][6][6][10][1][7][6][1][2](40)
    Last edited by Tengu; 2007-11-12 at 02:23 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Banned

Sorry for the delay!
    Kadree easily blocks the beastman's hit, infuriating him even more!

The enemies are enraged, but they aren't stupid... okay, they're not completely stupid. In other words, they try to parry with whatever they have at hand.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2007-11-13 at 05:49 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show

+1 stunt die
    Insar:
    (1d10)[1]
    (1d10)[9]
    (1d10)[1]
    Kadree:
    (1d10)[7]
    (1d10)[2]

(4d10)[3][10][6][4](23)
    (2d10)[3][7](10)
    (5d10)[7][8][1][1][10](27)

Insar overcomes his first opponent, who is armed with a club, apparently carved from a small tree stump. He tries to parry, but Insar cuts the weapon in half before cleaving the beast-man's skull!
    The other two are more successful, and are able to defend themselves against Insar's attacks - maybe he grew too confident and his attacks were more laidback? However, soon after Kadree strikes and the enemies' pieces are flying all over the air again.

Needless to say, there were no survivors. That's unless you count the four beast-men inside the pit - they are trying to (quite unsuccessfully) climb up. What do you do with them?

There is another problem - as Mariko noticed already (and those from you who have the height advantage and pay attention to the distance), the boar-man chieftain realised that his first wave of attackers have been slaughtered! Not only that, but he is throwing something at the village's direction!
    It is not however a weapon, nor even a giant rock to crush you under. What he throws is... one of his subordinates, the one-eyed one as Mariko quickly notices. He is not armed, and after flying about ten-twelve yards in the air, he lands with a bump and quickly (and somewhat panicky) runs towards Bottomless Pool. What is your surprise to discover that, as soon as he is within earshot, the beast-man is shouting "No fight, no fight! I in peace! Peace!" at the top of his lungs! It sounds pretty boarish but it's definitely Riverspeak, although very crude and limited in vocabulary...

Is this a trick, or does the chief send one of his as an envoy? What do you intend to do with this turn of events?
    Last edited by Cubey; 2007-11-13 at 06:04 PM.