New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Erfworld 83, page 77

Finally! Thank you Rob and Jamie!

Things seem to be looking up for the comic, if down for Gobwin Knob. I find this page better than the three previous, and it got me re-interested in the comic. How 'bout you guys?
    My first character was a first edition thief.

Evidence that MS Paint is still a valid avataring tool:
    Spoiler
    Show

1st commemorative BEAST award, for displaying BEASTLY qualities in overcoming tricksy obstacles.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Erfworld 83, Page 77

Boopus B. Boop on a rubber boop!

Yeah, looks like it's time for Hamster to save the day. By means which may very well involve a big white flag.
    The Evil Midnight Lurker what Lurks at Midnight
    "An object at rest -- CANNOT BE STOPPED!!!!!"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 83, Page 77

Hmmm, Stanley's plan only requires 3 knights and the foolamancer? Wonder what he's up to....oh yeah, did anyone else spot the Pennywise the Clown line from the Foolamancer? (From Stephen King's It)
    The Gods work in mysterious ways. Like a healing shiv.

Thog kill. Thog like puppies. Thog full of amusing contradictions.

Proud member of NO FREAKING FANCLUBS

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Atheist_Cleric View Post
    Hmmm, Stanley's plan only requires 3 knights and the foolamancer? Wonder what he's up to....oh yeah, did anyone else spot the Pennywise the Clown line from the Foolamancer? (From Stephen King's It)
    Um, he's running away. I think that's been made pretty clear... that was his favored plan from the start, and he only delayed it a bit when Wanda pulled Parson in. He needs the Foolamancer to make himself invisible so he can slip off safely... Gobwin Knob can go to boop as far as he cares.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Boop. Just... boop.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

6. - Top - End - #6

Um, he's running away. I think that's been made pretty clear... that was his favored plan from the start, and he only delayed it a bit when Wanda pulled Parson in. He needs the Foolamancer to make himself invisible so he can slip off safely... Gobwin Knob can go to boop as far as he cares.
    Aye, Stanley's showing his true colours: the flag of GK under Stanley the Tool is a chicken on yellow.
    My first character was a first edition thief.

Evidence that MS Paint is still a valid avataring tool:
    Spoiler
    Show

1st commemorative BEAST award, for displaying BEASTLY qualities in overcoming tricksy obstacles.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Also: Assuming that Misty is indeed dead, and that uncroaking a caster is either impossible or does not preserve any of their casting ability... can Parson still give orders to the remaining non-dwagon units via the Thinkamancer? Technically he is still chief warlord, and Stanley never bothered to officially revoke his authority, so he can still move units.

It would have to be "blind", though, with neither a lookamancer to scout enemy positions nor a foolamancer to show where they are on a map.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I thought he was running and getting a small town of some sort. I understand the foolamancer, but why three knights only? Ok, with Stanley that makes four painted guys and that's the kiss team, but it can't be simply that. Stanley's starting a rock group?

And yes, one of the casters died. Parson will have a tough time now. Only one of the trio, Wanda blank, no dwagons... Oh well, he'll pull out something.
    Last edited by teratorn; 2007-10-25 at 03:48 AM.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by teratorn View Post
    I thought he was running and getting a small town of some sort. I understand the foolamancer, but why three knights only? Ok, with Stanley that makes four painted guys and that's the kiss team, but it can't be simply that. Stanley's starting a rock group?

And yes, one of the casters died. Parson will have a tough time now. Only one of the trio, Wanda blank, no dwagons... Oh well, he'll pull out something.
    I think that something will involve a big white flag. I mean Stanley isnt in the city anymore so Ansom as no reason to attack them and Parson as no reason to attack them either. He can just make peace with Ansom and then he'll be the new leader of GK. Hes gonna rebuild his army and then conquer the entire Erfworld just like a true gamer should!

Stanley lost but Parson won a city and an army.
    Last edited by Querzis; 2007-10-25 at 03:52 AM.
    In memory of lord Shojo

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Querzis View Post
    I think that something will involve a big white flag. I mean Stanley isnt in the city anymore so Ansom as no reason to attack them and Parson as no reason to attack them either. He can just make peace with Ansom and then he'll be the new leader of GK. Hes gonna rebuild his army and then conquer the entire Erfworld just like a true gamer should!

Stanley lost but Parson won a city and an army.
    How would they convince Ansom that Stanley isn't in the city anymore? Stanley left while veiled. Ansom has no way of knowing if Stanley is inside the city, veiled with his dragons, or outside the city, veiled with his dragons; but cannot risk leaving such an important, defensible location available to Stanley in any case... and Stanley, for his part, has every incentive to let Ansom think that he's still in the city, since it reduces the chance of pursuit.

(Regarding the fact that he only took a few soldiers: Likely there are limits to the number of units that can be veiled.)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    How would they convince Ansom that Stanley isn't in the city anymore? Stanley left while veiled. Ansom has no way of knowing if Stanley is inside the city, veiled with his dragons, or outside the city, veiled with his dragons; but cannot risk leaving such an important, defensible location available to Stanley in any case... and Stanley, for his part, has every incentive to let Ansom think that he's still in the city, since it reduces the chance of pursuit.

(Regarding the fact that he only took a few soldiers: Likely there are limits to the number of units that can be veiled.)
    Easy, he let him enter the city, not that complicated. A white flag isnt something Stanley would ever do anyway, they just have to show him that hes really not there anymore as well as the twenty dwagons. They can take their time to negociate, nobody is in a hurry. Ansom woudnt ignore a chance to settle things peacefully.

And I guess you are right about the veiled units.
    Last edited by Querzis; 2007-10-25 at 04:03 AM.
    In memory of lord Shojo

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think that something will involve a big white flag. I mean Stanley isnt in the city anymore so Ansom as no reason to attack them and Parson as no reason to attack them either.
    I'd agree, but...I suspect Parson likes winning too much for that.
    I look forward to seeing if he can strategize his way out of this seemingly desperate situation.
    Saga of Soul: Not your Typical Magical Girl Story.
    Where I Watch: My Little Pony

Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I think that something will involve a big white flag. I mean Stanley isnt in the city anymore so Ansom as no reason to attack them and Parson as no reason to attack them either.
    Ansom needs to purge the city from anyone who is bound to obey Stanley (Parson, Wanda Sizemore). Unless Stanley is dead, Parson will need to stay in prison or worse. I don't think it's likely Ansom will leave Parson in charge of GK. The archons can end spells, so Parson can be sent back, but that's costly so terminating Parson is probably the best option.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Woah. It never rains but it pours with this comic. From Jillian discovering the dwagons onwards, it's been one big chain of "How could this get any worse?". Followed shortly by the answer. Parson's gonna have to pull off something of McGyuver-esque proportions to pull his boops out of the vice Stanley has shoved them in.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Atheist_Cleric View Post
    oh yeah, did anyone else spot the Pennywise the Clown line from the Foolamancer? (From Stephen King's It)
    Yup, got that. The Foolamancer seems to specialize in scary-kind-of-funny quotes.

16. - Top - End - #16

Who's the dead caster?
    Matthew Greet
    My purpose in life is to play games.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Ok, Stanley takes the cowards way out OR we'll see him attacking the weak stack with Ansom in it some pages later.

One thing though: if troops "appear" in the city, how much time will the corpse of Misty remain? Until end of turn?
    Deorum offensae diis curae.

18. - Top - End - #18

This is booping hard core

I wonder, is that Misty dead or the other guy?

I think the Hamstard is finally fully emotionally involved, and now he has a chance to raise from the run-off-the-mill nerd tourist to a true protagonist (neither saying hero nor leader here on purpuse). The possibilities are countless and very exciting.

The last comic (82) was already very good, now it's getting even better. After a few not so dramatic strips (personal opinion only, maybe from global storyline perspective taking a second breath before the real final IS a good thing) I have a feeling like during the quantum dwagon donut of doom hex fort trap: something great is happening!

so pretty, pretty, please ... gimme more updates! it's close to X-mas (well sort of)

I'm really hooked again. Great work Titans!
    Orc Girl Avatar by Yeril !

Irideen Yoannaell,woodelf ranger Into the Depths of the Earth (Dawnhorn) character sheet

19. - Top - End - #19

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Krelon
    I wonder, is that Misty dead or the other guy?

I think the Hamstard is finally fully emotionally involved, and now he has a chance to raise from the run-off-the-mill nerd tourist to a true protagonist (neither saying hero nor leader here on purpuse). The possibilities are countless and very exciting.
    I concur. That is Misty, by the way. I'd bet that's why the authors showed us that heartwarming scene with Parson and Misty earlier; Parson has been looking at this like a strategy game, and now he's internalizing that these are real people instead of just units on a board. Beaucoup character development for Lord Hamster.
    Asymmetrically shod ass-kicker of the fan club

Nice Guys: Read this.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

-Mark Twain

"Courage is not merely one of the virtues; rather, it is the form of every virtue at its testing point."

-C.S. Lewis

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Let's see...

1) I hate unsubstantiated claims.

If Gobwin Knob surrenders, control should revert to the proper owner, Jillian. What happens after that is open to the PLOT, but for it to start attacking other ally cities makes no sense. Defeating Stanley's threat is why the alliance came together.

Similarly, I do not see why Sizemore, Parson, or a catatonic Wanda would be killed. Were they to surrender, I can see Wanda imprisoned (she is a potent caster who could probably also croak a small army), but I do not see why Sizemore or Parson would not be granted parole. Sizemore speaks of the two options, but Ansom strikes me as an honorable man. I'm not sure what would happen to the other two remaining uncroaked warlords, though.

I don't see how or why Parson would get sent back. From a plot standpoint, it makes little sense to do so. Parson has not done much yet in this world beyond directing one half of a disastrous turn. I am curious, though, how, if at all, the spell constrains Parson and how, if at all, loyalties constrain Wanda, Sizemore, and the other Gobwinites.

2) As for why only three knights, I like Teratorn's KISS is four rock band theory.

3) On finding Misty, is this the first point of realization that this is "real"?

4) What type of Parley exists in games such as this?

5) As for the speech, that's so gloriously gratuitous.

6) Do we finally get to find out what's really happening in the Story?

7) If Gobwin Knob is captured, does that mean the coalition obtains Eyebook technology? That would improve that side considerably.

8) Where's Parson's Stupid Meal??

21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground

Awesome comic. Really sucked me right into it again, plus I want another update right away hah.

And Stanley's armored Dwagon totally ****ing rocks.

22. - Top - End - #22

As it has now been shown, I am 99% convinced that it is Misty that is croaked. As I held the argument that it may have been the Thinkamancer that croaked rather than Misty, I have only one thing to say:

I was wrong.

And I just want to let people know this: I stand by the arguement that I made based on the evidence as it was given at the time.

And on the Dwagon that Stanley is riding off on; I see three things that it could be:

A.) A red dwagon with heavy barding.

B.) A high leveled dwagon, possibly promoted to warlord status.

C.) A new type of Dwagon.

I would assume that A is the most likely, but B & C would be cooler.
    Last edited by Justyn; 2007-10-25 at 05:55 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Does he know that the enemy's motivation is so personally focused on Stanley? The remaining person who is most likely to know isn't on speaking terms with the rest of the universe at the moment. Stanley's rant was a hint in that direction, but not a very clear one.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    How would they convince Ansom that Stanley isn't in the city anymore? Stanley left while veiled.
    True (except that it would be exactly the same if Stanley had left with a big neon sign saying "THE TITANS' CHOSEN ONE IS HERE" -- Ansom has no units in the area to see him).
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-10-25 at 06:03 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Given that the linked casters created the Eyebooks, looks like there'll be no more of them now that the link is broken.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0053.html

[QUOTE=rosebud;3408578]Let's see...

7) If Gobwin Knob is captured, does that mean the coalition obtains Eyebook technology? That would improve that side considerably.

25. - Top - End - #25

Nice strip. A lot was developed in a very short amount of time.

Can't wait to see Parson kick booty.
    And the best thing you ever done for me is to help me take my life less seriously. It's only life, after all.
    - Emily Saliers, "Closer to Fine"

LGBTitP

Blog: http://deathquaker.livejournal.com
    Seldom updated Website: http://www.deathquaker.org

26. - Top - End - #26

not really, she says that they created the eyebooks, not that the eyebooks need the link to keep working.

Oh, and this comic is gold... with so much information on each page si better to read in this format that a run-through a book
    solo tú sabes bien quien soy y por eso es tuyo mi corazón
    AKA Yakkul

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by PePe_QuiCoSE View Post
    not really, she says that they created the eyebooks, not that the eyebooks need the link to keep working.
    The statement was that there will be no more eyebooks (probably true). We've seen on this very page that the ones that already exist still work fine.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-10-25 at 06:16 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Erfworld 83, Page 77

Three reactions:

1. Wow.
    2. Good riddance,
    3. Darn; I had really hoped that wasn't Misty.

Oh, and

4. Very much looking forward to seeing what happens next.
    Rhuna Coppermane, half-orc for hire
    Ranger, pantheist, protector of neophytes

Member, Redcloak Fanclub

29. - Top - End - #29
    Halfling in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Whoa, that was well worth the wait. ^^

From my experience it seems that making a really good online comic has to involve irregular updates to release the author(s) from the pressure of a deadline.

I never expected the Foolamancer to be the one in the middle though. In that long discussion about whether or not Misty died afair everyone agreed that the thinkamancer has to cast the spell to connect the minds. And I doubt that the Foolamancer can veil Stanley in his current state of madness.

Maybe Parson asks Sizemore to create some crap golems.^^

edit: Yeah, 1st page, 2.
    Last edited by Squall83; 2007-10-25 at 06:20 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Squall83 View Post
    I never expected the Foolamancer to be the one in the middle though. In that long discussion about whether or not Misty died afair everyone agreed that the thinkamancer has to cast the spell to connect the minds.
    The one in grey robes (by process of elimination, the Thinkamancer) has been in the middle from the first appearance of the Eyemancer.

And I doubt that the Foolamancer can veil Stanley in his current state of madness.
    Perhaps not. Stanley seems not to acknowledge any problem, but that's His Toolishness for you....