New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 83, Page 77

Quote Originally Posted by GWvsJohn View Post
    Maybe he thinks the attack on GK will continue and be successful even without Ansom?
    So you think he's going after the Arkenpliers but leaving the city nonetheless?
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

Haven't read through all of the thread, but here's an idea:

What is Stanley is NOT going for a showdown with the opposing leaders, after all? Here we learn that the loss of his warlords was a great blow because he lost the ability to selectively hit the siege units (and thus finish Parson's plan). However, what if Stanley himself counts as a warlord in terms of game mechanics, and his intention is to finish the original plan of destroying Anson's siege capability? (And with Anson's main guys being at the lake and possibly too far away to join the battle in time.

Just an idea.
    "I had thought - I had been told - that a 'funny' thing is a thing of goodness. It isn't. Not ever is it funny to the person it happens to. Like that sheriff without his pants. The goodness is in the laughing. I grok it is a bravery... and a sharing... against pain and sorrow and defeat."

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by teratorn View Post
    It's possible. He has an overwhelming desire to obtain the Pliers above all else, which leads me to think he will go after Ansom at his weakest moment (that we've seen). Two of his main faults as a leader seem to be a lack of understanding of strategy and teamwork, so it might not even occur to him that losing Ansom might dissolve the coalition.

An interesting scenario
    Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe Stanley gives up his control of GK in-game (there might be some drawback to losing a city as Overlord that he wishes to avoid) and control defaults to Chief Warlord, Parson. Stanley croaks Ansom, takes the pliers and flees, while Parson sues for peace with Jill or Vinny or whoever is left in charge. Stanley finds out GK lives and Parson is in command and tries to take it back setting up a Stanley/Parson battle.
    'Old fool!' he said. 'Old fool! This is my hour. Do you not know Death when you see it? Die now and curse in vain!' And with that he lifted high his sword and flames ran down the blade.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Premier View Post
    However, what if Stanley himself counts as a warlord in terms of game mechanics, and his intention is to finish the original plan of destroying Anson's siege capability? (And with Anson's main guys being at the lake and possibly too far away to join the battle in time.

Just an idea.
    Well, this would firstly require Stanley to have qualities of forethought and compassion which have so far been conspicuously absent. Secondly, why would he have told Parson "As long as the city stands your upkeep will be paid" if he was convinced enough about Parson's plan to carry it out? It sounds distinctly like he thinks the fall of the city is inevitable.

That doesn't preclude him having a go at Ansom--now is his best opportunity to do so, with Ansom's forces separated from the main column and wounded after their previous dwagon fights--but I just don't see it myself. I think he's getting out, just like he threatened to do when Wanda proposed summoning Parson.

5. - Top - End - #185

A parting of the ways? Wanda, Sizemore, Pudd'nhead, and Parson, left behind to rot? If Stanley has really abandoned them, are they really even on the same team anymore, regardless of whether or not Parson is still fighting Ansom?

Could this be... The Big Switch? My dream... It's coming true at last! Heh. Heheheh. Ahaha! A-HAHAHAHAHAHAhaaaaaaaaaaa!!!
    Last edited by Arameus; 2007-10-28 at 09:40 PM.
    Glorious Chaiman Kaga avatar by the impeccable Kalirush!

6. - Top - End - #186
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arameus View Post
    A parting of the ways? Wanda, Sizemore, Pudd'nhead, and Parson, left behind to rot? If Stanley has really abandoned them, are they really even on the same team anymore, regardless of whether or not Parson is still fighting Ansom?
    They're on the same team as long as 1) Stanley rules the city that pays their upkeep, and 2) Parson is magically bound to obey Stanley's orders. This holds for very highly dysfunctional versions of "team," but it holds nonetheless.

We may have a foreshadowing in the Archons breaking the spell on Jillian, although I suspect the one on Parson will require a lot more mojo, which someone will have to pay for.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Orc in the Playground

This may be a moot point, but didn't Parson himself say that the situation he had been planning, and the one he is in now seems to resemble that one very closely, was an un-winnable battle, one that would take a kobayashi maru to win it?
    So his run of bad luck could be because this situation is such that it is virtually un-winnable in its current state. Just an thought.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    And it harm none, Do as you will

Proud Second Baker to the Fan Club

Kewl Avatar by someone who's name I forgot

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wender View Post
    They're on the same team as long as 1) Stanley rules the city that pays their upkeep, and 2) Parson is magically bound to obey Stanley's orders. This holds for very highly dysfunctional versions of "team," but it holds nonetheless.

We may have a foreshadowing in the Archons breaking the spell on Jillian, although I suspect the one on Parson will require a lot more mojo, which someone will have to pay for.
    This presumes it's even possible for non-mercenaries to change sides. The rules could very well be "pop for Gobwin Knob, die for Gobwin Knob", and similar for anything that gets summoned.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2007-10-29 at 03:45 AM.

9. - Top - End - #189

Quote Originally Posted by DrivinAllNight View Post
    This may be a moot point, but didn't Parson himself say that the situation he had been planning, and the one he is in now seems to resemble that one very closely, was an un-winnable battle, one that would take a kobayashi maru to win it?
    So his run of bad luck could be because this situation is such that it is virtually un-winnable in its current state. Just an thought.
    Kirk reprogrammed the simulator to win an unwinnable scenario (beat unfair with unfair). But the test is not about winning, it is about the commanders, to see how (s)he behaves facing a defeat and of course rub into their faces that they are not invincible. I doubt that this is just a test and that Parson has the means to reprogramm the rules of the world.

about leadership and coalitions:
    As long as the Tool lives Parson is his slave, I think the only way for Parson to get free is Stanley's death. Then again as long as the Tool did not demote him before croaking, he is the highest ranking surviving commander of GK. One way how to resolve this would be GK turning neutral, all mercenaries leaving but all GK units stay to defend their city. Still the best defensible city in erfworld.

So what is the point for the alliance to keep fighting a war? If they go for GK it will cost many lives and they'll have to decide which of the many factions get's the city.

Now, Parson either puffs back to earth or stays as the new temporary leader. If he stays he could somehow aquire a player color (I see neutrals grey) and start his own empire. Part 2? He does have Sizemore, Misty(?), Bogroll and probably can get Wanda to work (a crushed Wanda may be even better than a scheming, overconfident Wanda). That's enough. Maybe he has to win the entire level (Erfworld) to be allowed back home?
    Orc Girl Avatar by Yeril !

Irideen Yoannaell,woodelf ranger Into the Depths of the Earth (Dawnhorn) character sheet

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Krelon View Post
    Then again as long as the Tool did not demote him before croaking, he is the highest ranking surviving commander of GK.
    Stanley did not demote Parson. Unfortunately for Parson, he's a leader with a limited array of resources.

No foolamancer, lookamancer dead, thinkamancer in unknown state. Croakamancer in emotional turmoil. Dirtamancer convinced "we're all going to be croaked!" Less than 300 living men remaining. No dwagons. 2 Uncroaked warlords, lots of uncroaked troops, but no croakamancer to control them. A few crap golems.

Still the best defensible city in erfworld.
    And something the Alliance would want to deny Stanley gaining ever again.

So what is the point for the alliance to keep fighting a war? If they go for GK it will cost many lives and they'll have to decide which of the many factions get's the city.
    First, they don't know Stanley's flown the coop. Second, they'll STILL take GK over so Stanley won't ever be able to take it back. Third, it IS the most defensible city in Erf; who'd want to turn down getting THAT as a prize for their side?
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

11. - Top - End - #191

yeah, but my scenario states that the Tool croaks, then everything is possible. In this case the alliance will know he is gone for good.

So if GK turns "gray" on the map then who will want to risk their lives to capture the city for someone else (possibly a future enemy) when the glue keeping the alliance together (hatred towards Stanley) is gone?

Sometimes in a strategy game you leave the über-defended strongholds alone because it would cost too much to gain one single city. Bribing/buying (supported by many TBS games) is a much better option.

I did not elaborate on what happens if the Tool survives, but I think it's safe to assume that GK will stay his city and Parson will be screwed. Except some new mechanic will be introduced. I'd prefer the outcome where Ansom and Stanley croak each other, GK turns neutral, the alliance has no target and no leader --> Parson wins big time without winning a single battle!!
    His so called screw-up can be safely called a stroke of genius by bringing the two main opponents of the Western conflict into a duel to death on nearly equal terms despite a 25:1 material advantage to one side!

too much depends on the Titans whims now: where does Stanley go? Who survives? ... too many unknowns, but there is a lot potential for an excellent ending. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Irideen Yoannaell,woodelf ranger Into the Depths of the Earth (Dawnhorn) character sheet

12. - Top - End - #192
    Banned

His so called screw-up can be safely called a stroke of genius by bringing the two main opponents of the Western conflict into a duel to death on nearly equal terms despite a 25:1 material advantage to one side!
    Uh, no. I'm sorry, under no circumstances can you call that a stroke of genius. Exceptionally good luck? Yes, yes you can. But a stroke of genius requires that to have been A: An accounted for ending, and B: An acceptable ending to Parson (Parson may not LIKE the Tool, but we don't know he wants him dead. He might consider him the idiot CiC he's been saddled with, for instance).

Parson certainly didn't see this coming, so one can't really call it a stroke of genius.

Personally, I see Stanley leaving Gobwin Knob on its own. He may or may not die, but by the rules of the game, this may mean he counts as leaving his force. Leadership either defaults to a named unit in Gobwin Knob, or goes to Lord Hamster (as Parson is still Chief Warlord), since the faction has lost its leader (This may be how STanley came to rule it). The Alliance may not disband, but they may leave Gobwin Knob to its own devices. Why conquer the most defensible city in the world if it's just going to cost you troops and you don't really /care/ about it?
    Last edited by Rutee; 2007-10-29 at 11:36 AM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Krelon View Post
    yeah, but my scenario states that the Tool croaks, then everything is possible. In this case the alliance will know he is gone for good.
    Barring Stanley attacking Ansom and losing, Stanley won't croak by the time the Alliance makes it to the walls of GK. He's got the foolamancer with him to hide him from scouts and retaliation, and with all those dwagons on his side? And an Arkentool?

So if GK turns "gray" on the map then who will want to risk their lives to capture the city for someone else (possibly a future enemy) when the glue keeping the alliance together (hatred towards Stanley) is gone?
    Ansom would wait it out to capture. The uncroaked will eventually fall apart, there's no dwagons and without a leadership, GK will be far easier to take over.

And if GK IS truly the most defensible position on Erf, it'd be a great new capital city for any of the faction members.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Barring Stanley attacking Ansom and losing, Stanley won't croak by the time the Alliance makes it to the walls of GK. He's got the foolamancer with him to hide him from scouts and retaliation, and with all those dwagons on his side? And an Arkentool?
    Well, we know that veiling is not 100% effective, or Ansom would not have gone into the center hex. He's also not as much of a moron as some people think; just lazy and a strategy novice (and of course an ego the size of Texas and a lack of social skills to match). He has had some shrewd ideas in the past (notably the eyemancer link)

Ansom would wait it out to capture. The uncroaked will eventually fall apart, there's no dwagons and without a leadership, GK will be far easier to take over.
    Sieges on Erf don't work as well as sieges on Earth. We don't know how deteriorated the uncroaked will get (all of the warlords had some flesh, but we have seen skeletons as well), and waiting just means that GK has more time to produce units.

As a side note, if the coalition does wait it out, I think Parson would eventually manage to wear them down, using insurgent tactics (it was one of the strategies he contemplated)

And if GK IS truly the most defensible position on Erf, it'd be a great new capital city for any of the faction members.
    Which is why most of not all factions would want it, which would lead to some infighting in the coalition, possibly driving it apart, definitely weakening it.

Also, in regards to Parson becoming the overlord of GK, I think it is mechanically just as likely to be Sizemore (as the highest ranking member of the Plaid tribe) as it is to be Parson. Story-wise, I think it is more likely.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by fendrin View Post
    Well, we know that veiling is not 100% effective, or Ansom would not have gone into the center hex. He's also not as much of a moron as some people think; just lazy and a strategy novice (and of course an ego the size of Texas and a lack of social skills to match). He has had some shrewd ideas in the past (notably the eyemancer link)
    To counter the supposed veil, though, Ansom (a warlord) had to go into the hex. Normal scouts didn't work. Ansom has no other means to know where Stanley is, other than potentially sacrificing high-level units to 'feel' him out.

Sieges on Erf don't work as well as sieges on Earth. We don't know how deteriorated the uncroaked will get (all of the warlords had some flesh, but we have seen skeletons as well), and waiting just means that GK has more time to produce units.
    That's why it was after GK turned 'neutral'. Eventually, those uncroaked will deteriorate to the point they're unusable. And a city without a leader presumably cannot produce more units (Unit production is set by the Overlord).

As a side note, if the coalition does wait it out, I think Parson would eventually manage to wear them down, using insurgent tactics (it was one of the strategies he contemplated)
    With what units, though? The treasury's almost depleted, he can only hit and run for so long before he loses too many units through attrition (25 to 1 numerical difference, and his strongest units are gone; the rest are on par with the units Ansom has or weaker).

16. - Top - End - #196
    Pixie in the Playground

2) Parson is magically bound to obey Stanley's orders.
    This obviously isn't still the case, as Parson is going to directly disobey orders.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leonson View Post
    This obviously isn't still the case, as Parson is going to directly disobey orders.
    Though he isn't disobeying a direct order (at least not yet) -- though subtle, and important difference.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zentei's Law
    1. As an online discussion on the Order of the Stick forum grows longer, the probability of Miko Myazaki being mentioned approaches unity.
    2. He who mentions her in a disparaging way when irrelevant to the thread topic loses the argument.
    Fanclubbery list:

Miko fanclub.

Roy fanclub.

Hinjo fanclub.

The Chief fanclub.

The Xykon fanclub. Because Evil is just that cool.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zentei View Post
    Though he isn't disobeying a direct order (at least not yet) -- though subtle, and important difference.
    Very. With Stanley (apparently) leaving GK, though, why would you expect him to get direct orders later?

19. - Top - End - #199
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leonson View Post
    No he isn't -- Stanley didn't order him to stay out of the situation room or to otherwise refrain from acting as Chief Warlord. Strictly speaking, he didn't even order him to stay out of sight (though he did order him to leave right then) -- he just said to stay out of his sight if he wanted to live.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by teratorn View Post
    That happens to be my present theory.

After the failure of Parson's plan, I think Stanley's decided that running an empire is simply incompatible with his goals. He's already lost all those cities since he starting looking for the other Arkentools, and since he's the self-proclaimed tool of the Titans nothing Stanley does could possibly be wrong in his eyes. Therefore, it's leading a faction that's at fault.

So Stanley simply isn't going to do it anymore. He's going to use this opportunity to take the Arkenpliers, then continue on in his search for the other Arkentools, in person. He started out as infantry, and he's got an Arkentool backing him up; no reason he couldn't try to handle things directly. He might very well make a better independent force then he did an overlord; Stanley's been shown to lack strategy skills, but knows about details of combat.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

To counter the supposed veil, though, Ansom (a warlord) had to go into the hex. Normal scouts didn't work. Ansom has no other means to know where Stanley is, other than potentially sacrificing high-level units to 'feel' him out.
    We don;t know what it takes to see through veiling, only that Wanda believed that Ansom believed he could. We don't even know if that's really why Ansom moved in there.

That's why it was after GK turned 'neutral'.
    What exactly do you mean by 'Neutral'? Not ruled by a coalition-member, and not ruled by Stanley? At which point it is a new faction, more than a Neutral party per se; the Neutrality (or otherwise) would be dependant on who took over. I believe it will be Sizemore, for reasons I've already stated, though it could also be Parson. Either way, I don't really see either of them wanting to continue the war. On the other hand, I really don't see Stanley relinquishing overlordship unless he dies or the city is destroyed/occupied.

It's kind of a no-loss situation for him if he runs but doesn't relinquish control: If parson manages to fend off the coalition, Stanley gets to keep the resources (notably, income) of GK and a safe place to return to. If Parson loses, it's no worse than if he had relinquished control.

Eventually, those uncroaked will deteriorate to the point they're unusable.
    What is that based on? All we know is that the uncroaked warlords deteriorate. We don't know what effect that has, or how far it will go. It doesn't definitively mean that they will eventually cease to exist. for instance, a balloon may deteriorate as the helium leaks out, but even after it is all gone, the balloon continues to exist. Heck, most mylar balloons these days are refillable.

Also, we don;t know if all uncroaked deteriorate or just the warlords. We see plenty of zombie-type and skeleton-type uncroaked but only the warlords are in-between.

And a city without a leader presumably cannot produce more units (Unit production is set by the Overlord).
    How would GK not have a leader? If Stanley dies (or relinquishes control) don't you think control would move on to someone else?

With what units, though? The treasury's almost depleted, he can only hit and run for so long before he loses too many units through attrition (25 to 1 numerical difference, and his strongest units are gone; the rest are on par with the units Ansom has or weaker).
    What units? The gobwins, hobgobwins, uncroaked, spidews, crap golems, hither-to unseen-but-presumed human forces, and who-knows-what else.

The treasury has at least 150,000 schmuckers, and Stanley implies that the city's income is equal to or greater than the army's upkeep costs.

The relative unit strengths are unknown. We have no data comparing a gobwin to marbit, for instance. Also, the precise strength and numbers are not as important as how they are used. If parson can force the coalition into the tunnels, GK has a huge advantage.

Hmm, you know, I wonder if with Stanley effectively out of the picture if Parson can contact Charlie and negotiate the turning of the Archons. I bet they could destroy quite a bit of the remaining siege gear fairly easily, presuming they qualify as warlords.

Another random thought: I wonder if a Sizemore/Wanda link would be able to animate the entire mountain, or even just the walls. that would be a very powerful attacker, I'm sure. Or if they could destroy the windy mountain road... that would render the siege useless. Even taking out just one hex of it would do.
    Last edited by fendrin; 2007-10-29 at 08:34 PM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    That happens to be my present theory.

After the failure of Parson's plan, I think Stanley's decided that running an empire is simply incompatible with his goals. He's already lost all those cities since he starting looking for the other Arkentools, and since he's the self-proclaimed tool of the Titans nothing Stanley does could possibly be wrong in his eyes. Therefore, it's leading a faction that's at fault.

So Stanley simply isn't going to do it anymore. He's going to use this opportunity to take the Arkenpliers, then continue on in his search for the other Arkentools, in person. He started out as infantry, and he's got an Arkentool backing him up; no reason he couldn't try to handle things directly. He might very well make a better independent force then he did an overlord; Stanley's been shown to lack strategy skills, but knows about details of combat.
    But the question that remains is this:

To what end? What will owning all the Arkentools do for the owner?

Even if he becomes the "Perfect Warrior," how will he conquer the world?
    Thanks to Ceika (X2), Yeril, Holammer and Dr. Bath for the Avatars!
    New Avatar, new form of self-destruction! Ceika is Beyond Awesome!

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing HalfOrc View Post
    But the question that remains is this:

To what end? What will owning all the Arkentools do for the owner?

Even if he becomes the "Perfect Warrior," how will he conquer the world?
    While certainly possible, I'm not convinced conquering the world is actually his driving goal. Acquiring the Arkentools looks to fit that position. The two could easily be interrelated, though: Conquering the world may be required to get at all the Arkentools, or perhaps getting all of them will lead Stanley on to take over the world.

As for why he wants the Arkentools...that's a good question. It might be as simple as seeing the Arkenhammer attune to him changed his entire worldview, and he figures finding the others will only make things better for him. It might be as basic as a rule that anyone who holds all of them "wins". It might be as esoteric as Stanley really is a tool...of the tool of the Titans; Mayhaps the Arkenhammer itself is responsible for some of Stanley's decisions and behaviors.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Hack View Post
    The woman who taught me most about the basics of writing also taught me this formula for writing a story:

1) Get your character up a tree.
    2) Throw rocks at him.
    3) Get him down again.

She did it tongue in cheek but I liked it even so, and it stuck. I see nothing wrong in giving your characters a hard time, especially if they also get the opportunity to learn from it and grow. What is important is not that Parson is suffering but how he responds to it.
    They did that, but only the first two steps:

Pulled Parson from Earth and sat him down in Erf. Up a tree.
    2) Throw rocks at him.
    Did that too. "We're outnumbered 25+ to 1. Save us, oh Mighty Hamster!"

3) Get him down again.
    Instead of letting him climb down the tree, (fending off Ansom), the authors decided to chop down the tree and shouted up at Parson, "Hey! Loser! Surf it down into the ground! Don't suck!"

So now Parson has gone from a difficult situation, to an impossible situation. All because Parson didn't count hexes, and prepare for Jillian's inevitable counterattack.

Parson didn't trust the spell. He had other options. He DIDN'T have to try and take out Ansom. Had he not set the trap for Ansom, he could have hidden or protected the dwagons somewere else.

I think we had the same teacher. I remember hearing something like that in one of my writing classes. I don't grumble about the schedule. I don't grumble about the shifting artwork (I really can't tell the difference). I grumble that Parson is getting screwed by the authors in a completely unfair manner.

25. - Top - End - #205

In most games units in neutral cities do not detoriate, undead or not. It's more likely that they grow.

I understand neutral as a city or a unit of mercenaries that do not belong to any "player", meaning they do not follow orders, do not cost upkeep, most likely stay passive, can be recruited (bribed, bought, hired) and defend themselves to the death. Very often neutrals have no bright color (most are gray) and when they become part of one side they are the color of the player. In a strategy game, Ansom would be the perfect guy for the white, the elves green and Stanley back.

Because Erfworld is a game world I wouldn't be surprised if GK turned gray instantly the moment the Tool croaks or gives it up. And if GK turns gray that is definitely good news for Parson.

Looking forward to seeing next strip....

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Now I'm curious....

Pulled Parson from Earth and sat him down in Erf. Up a tree.
    2) Throw rocks at him.
    Did that too. "We're outnumbered 25+ to 1. Save us, oh Mighty Hamster!"

3) Get him down again.
    Instead of letting him climb down the tree, (fending off Ansom), the authors decided to chop down the tree and shouted up at Parson, "Hey! Loser! Surf it down into the ground! Don't suck!"

So now Parson has gone from a difficult situation, to an impossible situation. All because Parson didn't count hexes, and prepare for Jillian's inevitable counterattack.
    And if Parson gets an F-22 Raptor with a pilot and full armaments in his next Stupid Meal? I'm gone. You won't have to listen to my carping any more.
    You're obviously annoyed that Parson's in such a dire circumstance, through what you believe is an absurdly arbitrary scenario...and you also say you'll leave if Parson gets an equally arbitrary resource. Which is understandable.

Now, you're still posting here, so you probably have hopes that this will turn out better then it has been...so might I ask what you're hoping will happen?

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Now I'm curious....

You're obviously annoyed that Parson's in such a dire circumstance, through what you believe is an absurdly arbitrary scenario...and you also say you'll leave if Parson gets an equally arbitrary resource. Which is understandable.

Now, you're still posting here, so you probably have hopes that this will turn out better then it has been...so might I ask what you're hoping will happen?
    What I THOUGHT might happen is something along these lines:

1. Jillian ditches Webinar, runs to Ansom's rescue.
    2. Bounce in, bounce out rescue, Parson loses three to five more B-dwagons. Ouch.
    3. Ansom grabs his Hat, sends out orders changing the deployment of troops surrounding the siege towers. Parson's second pass is far less successful, and he is forced to withdraw the remaining A-dwagons and B-dwagons to preserve his forces.
    4. Parson tries a few more hit and run battles, slowly whittling down Ansom's advantage.
    5. Ansom gets more resources, maybe figures out (intel from the Magic Kingdom) that Parson is an "Outside Force." Ponies up the shmuckers to summon his own "Outside Contractors." In the form of Parson's friends, OR maybe professional help. Pentagon Strategist, anyone?
    Now it's Parson vs. a Professional.
    6. Parson attemps to hold Ansom at the chasm ruins (Strip 3 http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0003.html ) Vinny dies getting the forces across the chasm. Ansom takes Vinny's death VERY PERSONALLY. Parson no longer has the option of surrender and personal survival.

Yada, yada, yada... Plenty of opportunities for drama, plenty of opportunity for character growth, no need to "cheat."

I really didn't like the dwagon PWNZORing. I'm not sure if I was clear about that.

I really don't know where this story is going. There's "unpredictable" and then there's "Tourettes."(sp?) Up until the Battle over the Lake, things were unpredictable. Now, it's just gotten weird.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Banned

I don't get it. Do you despise all forms of luck-based story resolutions THIS much? This is more then a little obsessive. It has been demonstrated that it was a valid, if unlikely, resolution, and you rail against the heavens. I found, you know, the reason why Parson got screwed heavily (That is, the unfolding drama between Jillian and Wanda) to be infinitely more interesting then the method of parson's inevitable screwage (Honestly, he just succeeded at a key point in his plan. You can't honestly believe that drama will allow those successes to CONTINUE, can you? Unless Parson is the antagonist, he was due for a boop-up.)

Did you seriously think for a minute that the Dwagons were going to get out unscathed once Ansom took the Hunt option? I mean, there was certainly enough dramatic build up for the shock of the Dwagons being found to have worn off. It sounds more like you built up a fanon resolution and are a little angry that they didn't take it, to be perfectly honest.
    Last edited by Rutee; 2007-10-30 at 05:27 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rutee View Post
    I don't get it. Do you despise all forms of luck-based story resolutions THIS much? This is more then a little obsessive. It has been demonstrated that it was a valid, if unlikely, resolution, and you rail against the heavens. I found, you know, the reason why Parson got screwed heavily (That is, the unfolding drama between Jillian and Wanda) to be infinitely more interesting then the method of parson's inevitable screwage (Honestly, he just succeeded at a key point in his plan. You can't honestly believe that drama will allow those successes to CONTINUE, can you? Unless Parson is the antagonist, he was due for a boop-up.)

Did you seriously think for a minute that the Dwagons were going to get out unscathed once Ansom took the Hunt option? I mean, there was certainly enough dramatic build up for the shock of the Dwagons being found to have worn off. It sounds more like you built up a fanon resolution and are a little angry that they didn't take it, to be perfectly honest.
    Did you bother to read what I wrote? I said I was expecting Parson to lose more dwagons. But loss in battle is one thing, wholesale slaughter is another!

Parson expected to win with almost no effort, or loss. Jillian pulling off a rescue would have been a "fair" boop-up on Parson's part. The trap wasn't tight enough to hold Ansom. The enemy commander got away. The best laid plans of mice and men...

But that's not what happened. Jillian picked a "lucky flight path" and utterly decimated the A-stack. And Parson should have been able to predict/prevent that from happening. The dwagon slaughter was just gratuitious violence.

Luck plays a role. But it should not be the sole deciding factor. Parson doesn't have to "win" in the end for this to be a good story. He can die/lose fighting to the last man, even taking up a weapon and using his size to his advantage until the sheer number of Ansom's troops riddle him with arrows. I'm sure a guy like Parson would prefer to fight in the shade.

But he has to have a chance. The dice were loaded against him. And I call "foul."

30. - Top - End - #210
    Halfling in the Playground

Did you bother to read what I wrote? I said I was expecting Parson to lose more dwagons. But loss in battle is one thing, wholesale slaughter is another!

Parson expected to win with almost no effort, or loss. Jillian pulling off a rescue would have been a "fair" boop-up on Parson's part. The trap wasn't tight enough to hold Ansom. The enemy commander got away. The best laid plans of mice and men...

But that's not what happened. Jillian picked a "lucky flight path" and utterly decimated the A-stack. And Parson should have been able to predict/prevent that from happening. The dwagon slaughter was just gratuitious violence.

Luck plays a role. But it should not be the sole deciding factor. Parson doesn't have to "win" in the end for this to be a good story. He can die/lose fighting to the last man, even taking up a weapon and using his size to his advantage until the sheer number of Ansom's troops riddle him with arrows. I'm sure a guy like Parson would prefer to fight in the shade.

But he has to have a chance. The dice were loaded against him. And I call "foul."
    That word (Decimated) does not mean what you think it means. She anialated them, the casualties were 100% not 10%