Default Zenith Watch #4: A Miracle of Science

Previous chapter
    OOC thread

"...and so far, they haven't complained."
    "Figure. I have to admit, that was clever."
    "Thanks. But maybe we should go back to your story."
    "With pleasure. We were just done with the Christmas thing, right?"
    "Yeah. And they had five Apocalypse Bullets."
    "Sure, but those came in handy much later. In fact, from the Zenith Watch's perspective, there was a lull at that point...but a few weeks later, they got involved in something big."
    "How big?"
    "Well, at the time, they only realized it was big. Much later on, it turned out to be way bigger than they even imagined, but I'm getting ahead of myself. Point is, you should listen carefully, because some important stuff happened at this point.
    This time around, things started with a, shall we say, miracle..."

A few weeks have passed since Christmas. For the Zenith Watch, there has been relatively little to mention - while you have become lire famous for beating Madman's challenge, there hasn't been much activity for you. Stopping a few muggings, helping the police contain a low-level mutant villain with telekinesis...At one point, a tip from Checkerboard even allowed you to dismantle a drug dealing network owned by the M-Syndicate ((the biggest mob in Megalopolis, for those who don't remember)).
    Worldwide, there haven't been too many noteworthy events. In New York, the heroes of the Liberty League were defeated by the New Predators - one of them, a villain called Brick, has apparently received some kind of power-up that baffles the FBSA. Several members of the Liberty League are hospitalized, but there have been no casualties among them. In international (sort of) news, the Cryosphere has officially given Augustus Niles, aka Maestro, a new position as its chief diplomat. Right now, the television at the HQ is showing something about that - apparently, Maestro is putting a lot of effort and resources into getting the Cryosphere recognized by the UN. Experts are speculating about the motives behind these efforts, but most of them seem to think that Cryo is mostly worried about potentially losing a Third Battle of the Cryosphere.
    "In local news," the anchorwoman goes on: "A Megalopolis Miracle? An unexplained phenomenon has occurred today at the Megalopolis General Hospital, where all the patients have inexplicably recovered. Our reporter on the scene, Kim Sansom:"
    "I'm speaking from the hospital" says Kim; "the witnesses seem to agree: Today at 5:30 PM, over the course of several minutes, all the patients in the hospital were cured of various ailments. AIDS, numerous forms of cancer, third degree burns, and more. A patient woke up after 11 years in a coma. Another one regrew both legs he had lost in Iraq. One of the doctors said he no longer needed his glasses."
    "Amazing. Any theories on the cause?"
    "None so far."

ZENITH WATCH #4: A MIRACLE OF SCIENCE

Granted, this would be more appropriate as Madman's theme song, but I guess "Weird Science" will have to do.
    Last edited by sun_tzu; 2007-10-26 at 02:04 AM.
    Saga of Soul: Not your Typical Magical Girl Story.
    Where I Watch: My Little Pony

Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Zenith Watch #4: A Miracle of Science

((Little edit: Padded the intro somewhat.))

Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

EA wandered into the monitoring room, wiping off his brow from another gruelling day of transmuting Carbosteel for venture industries. Another day another $20,000,000. I don't care how brilliant its design, I'm sick of that stupid alloy! He siddles up to whoever is watching the big screen, leaning ont he back of their chair, and squints.

Huh. People getting better in a hospital... oooh, Kim Sansom! DT, you think we should investigate?
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Spoiler: DON'T LOOK! IT'S A TRAP!
    Show
    Spoiler: DON'T DO IT!
    Show
    Spoiler: LAST CHANCE TO LOOK AWAY!!!
    Show

Awwwwww, that's just... Well, I did warn you.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

DT's voice comes over the intercom.

"Yep, I do. I'm up on the roof checking over the Zenicopter, it seems in order. Whether it's malicious or benign, we need to find out what's going on."

His voice echoes as he switches to the all channel.

"Come on upstairs, people. Something weird happened at the hospital, we get to play detective."

~~~

On the way there, Doublethink jokes with Eagle Owl.
    "We're making a name for ourselves, aren't we? I don't suppose there's a way we could look around without drawing attention. Eagle, you might actually get less attention without that mask at this point.
    Last edited by mutecebu; 2007-10-27 at 12:48 PM.
    "Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand, Men of the West!"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

At Doublethink's joke, Eagle Owl looks at him like he's out of his mind. "I'll consider you don't know what the hell you're talking about and leave it at that. This time." Reading his expression beneath the mask isn't easy, but he seems angry, maybe sad too.

He sits quiet for a while, staring out across the Megalopolis skyline. "You've got a point though. If you want to keep a low profile, I could search the are surrounding the hospital, search for anything out of the ordinary. Maybe there's been more of these 'miracles'." He sounds bitter when he says the last word.
    Awesome Eagle Owl by Abardam.
    Looking for a player for a M&M game? Drop me a PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Doublethink was saddened by Eagle Owl's reaction. DT knew the man was very sensitive about whatever was beneath the mask, but DT never gave up hope trying to coax him out of his shell. So far it had worked, Owl seemed much friendlier than earlier, but DT had overstepped. Still, DT always felt that people should take their handicaps with a good sense of humor.

Of course, that was somewhat hypocritical of him. DT had been very angry about his powers for a long time, it wasn't until he found an outlet that DT's outlook on life began to change.

"You've got a point though. If you want to keep a low profile, I could search the are surrounding the hospital, search for anything out of the ordinary. Maybe there's been more of these 'miracles'."
    "Well, we're going to have to take a look around inside anyway. Someone will have to ask questions, and any of us will draw attention.

((Maybe not everyone.... would Jane be able to ask around? Could she take a portable projector? I may be willing to use a hero point if necessary. If you don't think it's an issue, we can just take the team in.))
    Last edited by mutecebu; 2007-10-28 at 01:56 PM.
    "Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand, Men of the West!"

7. - Top - End - #7

((Not really an issue, no. The fact that you're well-known doesn't mean people will be less likely to answer questions.))

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

((Eh, I thought more along the lines of causing an uproar, or at least changing the state of the hospital to something other than ideal for investigations, in case we do some Super Forensics as well as ask questions. Ah well, tally ho, then.))

"Your plan sounds good, Eagle. When we get there, we should probably split up and take whatever investigatory methods seem best. I'll ask around, work the scanning equipment and I'm already requesting access to non-personal records. Bravado, you can thumb-wrestle Nightbane to see who questions the female nurses.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

EA shrugs. Owl, mind if I tag along? I'll go Oxygen, make some fog if we need some cover.

he goes along with EagleOwl when the other hero leaves the ZenithCopter.
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

"What? You mean I don't get a chance to question the nurses?" Seeming to step out of nowhere, Gerit falls in with the rest of the team. Even fully human, as he was now, he was still had a naturally quiet gait. "I could take Nightbane down. Besides, my human form hasn't been plastered all over the news and it might come in handy not to scream superhero." With that, Gerit joins the rest of the team in the Zenicopter. Ironicly, he also shifts to his hybrid shape as he belts himself in.
    With your every step, these grand adventures shall grow more distant and faint. And there may come a day when you forget the faces and voices of those you have met along the way. On that day, I bid you remember this... That no matter how far your journey may take you, you stand where you stand by virtue of the road you walked to get there.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Dorni View Post
    "What? You mean I don't get a chance to question the nurses?" Seeming to step out of nowhere, Gerit falls in with the rest of the team. Even fully human, as he was now, he was still had a naturally quiet gait. "I could take Nightbane down. Besides, my human form hasn't been plastered all over the news and it might come in handy not to scream superhero." With that, Gerit joins the rest of the team in the Zenicopter. Ironicly, he also shifts to his hybrid shape as he belts himself in.
    "Take me down? In your dreams, furball" says Nightbane as he enters the Zenicopter. He then adds: "It is weird, though. Not just the recoveries. I mean, if you had a way of curing so many people at once, why use it like this, anonymously? It's not like this was discreet, either."
    "Maybe curing all those people wasn't actually something someone decided to do?" says Bravado tentatively. "I mean, what if it was more like a phenomenon...I don't know, some magical 'all ills will be cured here when the clock strikes three' mystic burst? Weirder things have happened. I think. Maybe. If Madman was involved."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

"It is weird, though. Not just the recoveries. I mean, if you had a way of curing so many people at once, why use it like this, anonymously? It's not like this was discreet, either."
    "Exactly. If it was intentional, it's odd that it's used in this way, opening possibilities of less-than-stellar motives. If it was accidental or some phenomenon, it's a fairly powerful one, and should be investigated. Either way, we go."

13. - Top - End - #13

While the Zenicopter allows you to reach the hospital rather quickly, you can already see a large numbers of journalists at the reception. A man whom Jane identifies as the hospital's director is busy answering their questions.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eagle Owl nods to EA, turning to the others as he's leaving. "If this is just some new mutant or something manifesting their powers they're likely to be scared. With the amount of sheer power we've seen, that could be a bad thing if they can do more than just heal people."

Looking in disgust at the throng of reporters at the hospital, Eagle Owl jumps out of the Zenicopter, taking flight in mid-air. He lands on a nearby rooftop, looking to EA expectantly. "We should split up, cover more ground."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

What, and waste precious quality time together? EA says, flying along with EO anyway.
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

A hand suddenly catches EA's shoulder. "Come here." It's one of the nurses.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

EA looks over his shoulder, allowing EO to leave alone if he desires. The jolly green hero walks with the nurse, away from the crowd of reporters. He tries to get a good look at the nurse's features (having been a hero, he's naturally suspicious)

Yes, ma'am? you work here, huh? What seems to be the problem?
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by fireinthedust View Post
    EA looks over his shoulder, allowing EO to leave alone if he desires. The jolly green hero walks with the nurse, away from the crowd of reporters. He tries to get a good look at the nurse's features (having been a hero, he's naturally suspicious)

Yes, ma'am? you work here, huh? What seems to be the problem?
    She looks somewhat exasperated. "I'm assuming you're here because of the spontaneous recoveries?
    Now listen. We've got dozens of reporters, even more people who suddenly want to check on their friends and relatives, and our staff is busy as hell with this crap. What I'm saying is, we don't need any additional messes to deal with, so if you and your friends want to have a look, be quiet about it. Avoid bothering the patients and staff. That's all."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eagle Owl nods to EA, letting him go talk with the nurse. Taking to the skies above the hospital instead, he slowly circles higher. Once he's high enough, he circles the area, trying to look for anyone or anything suspicious or out of the ordinary.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

DT engages the equipment brought in the Zenicopter while he himself strides through the building with the sensors on his suit, looking for anything out of the ordinary as well as any ultra-meson tachyonic particles or plot radiation.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

EA frowns at the Nurse, rolls his eyes, and turns into mist. Lady, I'm the picture of inconspicuous. With that he disappears into the building's air vents, searching on his own through the hospital for anything out of the ordinary... well, not including him and his friends.
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

DT engages the equipment brought in the Zenicopter while he himself strides through the building with the sensors on his suit, looking for anything out of the ordinary as well as any ultra-meson tachyonic particles or plot radiation.
    Doublethink detects no special radiation.
    In fact, Doublethink detects surprisingly little radiation.
    In any given natural setting, atoms slowly break down, radiations are generated. The natural levels of radiation in the world are not very high, but there...still supposed to be higher than the level in the hospital. By roughly an order of magnitude.
    "Interesting case, isn't it, Mr Rod?" says a man who casually approaches you. You recognize him - that's the "government agent" who turned out to be a member of Checkerboard at the end of the Megalopolis free-for-all.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

ooc: is EA or anyone else there, so we can post/interact also? or is there something else we can do during this part of the story? Do I notice the radiation thing also, having a natural/non-technological sense? Is there anything I find/come across?
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by fireinthedust View Post
    ooc: is EA or anyone else there, so we can post/interact also? or is there something else we can do during this part of the story? Do I notice the radiation thing also, having a natural/non-technological sense? Is there anything I find/come across?
    ((Nah, EA doesn't notice the lack of radiations - naturally, they're too weak to notice without precision tools.
    I'm assuming the group has split up by this point.))

EA frowns at the Nurse, rolls his eyes, and turns into mist. Lady, I'm the picture of inconspicuous. With that he disappears into the building's air vents, searching on his own through the hospital for anything out of the ordinary... well, not including him and his friends.
    As you navigate through the vents, you see various patients. They all seem...perfectly healthy, really.
    Come to think about it...the ventilation system is remarkably well-maintained. You've explored the city a bit, and this system might just as well be brand-new.
    ((Had to roll to see if you noticed this, since it's not really that obvious...))

Eagle Owl nods to EA, letting him go talk with the nurse. Taking to the skies above the hospital instead, he slowly circles higher. Once he's high enough, he circles the area, trying to look for anyone or anything suspicious or out of the ordinary.
    People coming and going. Someone in a cape flying several blocks away (Captain Quanta? Nah, color not bright enough). And...some guy trying to cut the chains on a lock protecting a bicycle, presumably with the intent to steal it.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eagle Owl hesitates for only a moment. He tries to note the direction the caped super is going in, for all the good it'll do him, before swooping down to the guy trying to break the lock on the bike. Landing behind him, Eagle Owl stands there with his arms crossed infront of his chest. "Lost your keys?"
    Last edited by Blackbird; 2007-11-10 at 12:14 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Eagle Owl hesitates for only a moment. He tries to note the direction the caped super is going in, for all the good it'll do him, before swooping down to the guy trying to break the lock on the bike. Landing behind him, Eagle Owl stands there with his arms crossed infront of his chest. "Lost your keys?"
    The guy's expression is rather amusing - you find yourself almost expecting his jaw to hit the floor.
    "Um...yeah...It's totally my bike...I...Look behind you!" He points and begins to run.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eagle Owl flies after the bike-thief, grabbing him and pinning him against the wall. "Now then, why don't you try the truth?"

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Eagle Owl flies after the bike-thief, grabbing him and pinning him against the wall. "Now then, why don't you try the truth?"
    "I didn't do it! I blame society! It was my twin! Please don't kill me! I wasn't there! I..." the thug keeps screaming so fast you have trouble making out the words, obviously panicked.
    From the corner of your eye, you see a cop running in your direction from a few blocks away.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

((heh heh, go eagle!))

"Interesting case, isn't it, Mr Rod?"
    "Why, hello! I don't believe I got your name last time. I must admit I didn't expect to run into you here. Everything seems very clean and new here, I wonder if the patients were the only ones who had a tune-up. Do you have any leads?

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by mutecebu View Post
    ((heh heh, go eagle!))

"Why, hello! I don't believe I got your name last time. I must admit I didn't expect to run into you here. Everything seems very clean and new here, I wonder if the patients were the only ones who had a tune-up. Do you have any leads?
    "Refer to me as Arthur White, FBI agent for now if anyone asks" says the man. "I've been looking around, and our tech team is investigating...And, you're right, it's not just the patients. The staff itself was cured of many ailments, even very minor ones such as poor eyesight; some of the older individuals on the premise appear to be a few years younger; even non-biological things have been fixed: Cracks in the basement's ceilings have disappeared, damaged plastic plants are suddenly in perfect condition, and according to the tech team, the computers are in better shape than they have any business being. As far as we can tell, this isn't just a medical event - it's like something lowered entropy all over the place. I'm not a scientist, I'm afraid, but I know this is big."

((To get a better idea of how big this is...Well, with incredibly rare exceptions like the Avatar, there aren't people with the Healing power in the setting. Countering entropy isn't usually an option - even regenerators are just "rebuilding according to a plan".))