New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Zenith Watch #4: A Miracle of Science

Quote Originally Posted by fireinthedust View Post
    EA flies over and grabs the boy, becoming rubber at the same time, gives a quick look around the room for fallen relatives, puppies, etc. While the heat is intense, his immunity to poisons renders him safe from the smoke; not so any others in the house.
    If he doesn't spot anyone, he extends one fist to elasti-smash the nearest window, and the other arm to plant the boy down on the ground safely. He then risks a moment to transform the air in the room into something inert (helium or nitrogen? something other than poison gas) to put out some of the flames and buy him some time, then back into breathable air without the smoke; after that he gives another look for whoever the boy was looking for, becoming radiation again and moving through items.
    If he does spot someone else, he yells Hold your breath, kid! before making the air inert and then breathable again; he takes a second to gather them both up, then elasti-kicks the window out, and moves out himself.

After that: Kid, get somewhere safe! and hasten to the Adrians'.
    ((Getting a bit ahead of ourselves, aren't we? ))

Emerald Agent doesn't see anyone else in the room, but manages to carry the kid to safety. Right before you drop him on the ground, the kid screams "Felix! Felix is still somewhere inside!"

((There was...one more room upstairs, not counting what was destroyed in the explosion.))
    Saga of Soul: Not your Typical Magical Girl Story.
    Where I Watch: My Little Pony

Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

EA zips up in radiation form, fully expecting Felix to be a cat, dog, fish or imaginary friend.

ooc: well, it's a round-by-round description. Buh, I wonder if we shouldn't skip saving people for the greater good. villains keep using it against us!
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Spoiler: DON'T LOOK! IT'S A TRAP!
    Show
    Spoiler: DON'T DO IT!
    Show
    Spoiler: LAST CHANCE TO LOOK AWAY!!!
    Show

Awwwwww, that's just... Well, I did warn you.

3. - Top - End - #123

EA zips up in radiation form, fully expecting Felix to be a cat, dog, fish or imaginary friend.

ooc: well, it's a round-by-round description. Buh, I wonder if we shouldn't skip saving people for the greater good. villains keep using it against us!
    ((Well, in this case at least, it was unintentional. Jetpack-guy just had trouble aiming for you, what with there being a large hole in his body where White's arm was.))

As EA flies back up, he has some difficulty entering the remaining room due to the flames. However, a quick chemical conversion turns some remaining clutter into the same anti-combustion foam as before; with it, he can weaken the flame enough to go forward. Once inside the room, you find a terrified little black-and-white kitten meowing in a corner.

Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Images of EA kicking the kitten out the window flit through his imagination

((ooc: I say as I remove one of three cats from my lap for the millionth time while typing))

but the hero pushes those thoughts away as he uses his radiation blast to open a hole in the roof big enough for the two of them to fly through. He picks up the kitten, nuzzles it briefly, and soars in solid form through the hole.

His flight path is sure: drop Felix with the kid, then zip at mach five (or best possible sprint while flying) to the Adrians' house.
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

"DT, I'm clear of the ambush site. I've never been to this subdivision before, I need a route and location on the house. I'm a block and a half north of you. There's gotta be a satalite photo of the area online."
    DT complies without answering, and displays a map of the surrounding area with a suggested route and possible sniper locations highlighted. It wasn’t perfect; DT could only get a driving-directions quality satellite photo in short notice, but he inferred what he could from the green and white pixels.

((Assuming he sees Zach exit safely with victim in tow))
    “Anyone else in there?”

((Assuming Zach gives a negative and DT doesn’t see anyone himself with penetrating vision))
    The force-field supports broaden and stretch to surround the house. As soon as they seal it air-tight DT stumbles as the force-field buckles; he had forgot the vacuum effect that would result. He allows the shield to contract, and then dismisses it when the fires subside.

“Time’s up, Eagle. Take some adrenaline if you need to, but we’re moving!

Time was of essence here. Eagle was a soldier; of the whole team DT knew Eagle was the least likely to let an injury get in the way of action. That man had some inner fire that DT admired.

((For the physics behind that fire watch this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=V4uohzKHhOg ))
    Last edited by mutecebu; 2008-02-11 at 02:18 PM.
    "Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand, Men of the West!"

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

((you realize you've just given EA a toolbox of ideas for what to do with a hero point and transform, eh?))
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

7. - Top - End - #127
    Barbarian in the Playground

Nightbane

Zach rushed into the house uncaring of the flames, and picked up the unconscious woman. Holding her in his arms, he hoped to shield her from the heat. Knowing there could be more people inside, Zach ran through the lower level, until satisfied no one else is around.

8. - Top - End - #128

The kid is soon reunited with his kitten and the unconscious woman (his mother, according to Jane); the latter is hurt, but you think she'll pull through. None of you can find anyone else in the burning house, and soon afterwards, DT's force-field cuts off the fire's oxygen, putting it out.

((Leaving Dorni and Blackbird time to post too. Assuming DT or Jane have already called the firefighters and an ambulance.))

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jane did, and gave DT grief for not remembering to do it himself.

You know, some people get *paid* to handle these things.
    "Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand, Men of the West!"

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eagle Owl shakes his head to try and clear it as Bravado stops his bleeding with the 'copters first-aid kit. Hearing DT's words, he pushes himself to his feet, feeling ashamed at slowing the team down. EA's right, every moment we spend here gives our opponents more time to work at the Adrians' house.

With a few beats of his wings he rises up into the air, slightly wobbly at first but steadying himself quickly. "I'm alright, lets go." Eagle Owl flies after Gerit, keeping low and close to any cover.
    Awesome Eagle Owl by Abardam.
    Looking for a player for a M&M game? Drop me a PM.

11. - Top - End - #131

Nightbane

Zach double checked the woman to make sure she was alive. Satisfied, he runs off after the team in the direction of the Adrian's house. I hope we aren't too late...

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

DT nods to Bravado, and takes off at a sprint. “That was a good patch job. Let’s go.”
    It was kind of funny; DT had never run like this since high school track. He was big into track then, but that was an eternity ago. DT jogged regularly as part of his fitness routine, but he’d rarely run like this in a combat situation. DT keeps his shield up and his sensors hot, on the lookout for snipers.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Gerit

Hidden behind a hedge row several houses down, Gerit considered his options.

There were no options.

Gerit exploded from the hedges and raced towards the commando's loading the girl into the strange hovercraft. He didn't have time to deal with the sentries; he simply had to trust that his speed would foil the sentries aim as he charged. Once he got in close he had to hope the snipers wouldn't risk hitting the girl.

At the last instant before Gerit's Tiger form smashing into the commandos, Gerit lashed out with a paw that morphed into a humanoid fist.

Spoiler
    Show

Gerit is going to charge at the commandos carrying the girl, using his Power Attack feat to add +2 to the damage (effectively moving the charge attack bonus to the damage save)

Spending a Hero Point to gain temporary access to the Takedown Attack feat.

Assuming the first attack disables a commando, Gerit will use his second attack to Improved Grapple the next nearest commando. On success Gerit will pin him, twisting his arm behind his back then grabbing both arm and tunic with one hand, hoisting him into the air like a shield.

If these commandos count as minions, I'll use any extra attacks from Takedown Attack to attack more commandos with Gerit's free hand.
    With your every step, these grand adventures shall grow more distant and faint. And there may come a day when you forget the faces and voices of those you have met along the way. On that day, I bid you remember this... That no matter how far your journey may take you, you stand where you stand by virtue of the road you walked to get there.

14. - Top - End - #134

As the main group leaves the smoldering house and heads in the Adrians' direction, White begins striding there with his legs elongated to a length of 40 feet.

Gerit manages to rush past the sentries before they can react. As he approaches the commandos with the little girl, he goes into hybrid form. You are only ten feet away from them when someone appears in front of you, as if out of thin air (or rather, as if he dropped the intangibility and became visible). The face looks all different, even the mustache is gone, but the scent is unmistakably Tony's. The kick to the face is chángquán kung-fu. ((Bruised)) It stops you in your attack and sends you back for a second...which is enough time for the two sentries to shoot at you. One of them hits. The good news are, you're still in one piece - it was some kind of tranq gun (perhaps they didn't want to use lethal weapons in proximity to their query). The bad news are, whatever they put in it, it's quite strong; as you collapse, you can vaguely make out "Tony" saying "Come on, let's move!" "Yes sir!"

Eagle Owl, Emerald Agent and White arrive on the scene to find Tiger Claw sprawled on the ground, and the strange vehicle taking off silently and turning invisible mid-air.
    "Dammit!" White rushes forward, flailing his elongated arms in an attempt to catch the vehicle. No such luck.

((Eagle Owl, take a hero point for getting sucker-shot by Tony. Tiger Claw, take one for getting sucker-kicked in front of the sentries' line of fire. DT, EA and Nightbane, take one for rescuing the family from the house. Everyone, take one for the setback of the bad guys escaping with the girl.))

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

EA shoots in the direction of the copter, arms out and glowing. In a moment he transforms as much of the air around the flying machine into paint-mist. The idea is the same as during the mirror-challenge with Madman: cover invisible stuff with something so they can track them, then try to hit the shield as best they can.

Spoiler
    Show
    I transform the air, and follow along with the copter
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136

EA shoots in the direction of the copter, arms out and glowing. In a moment he transforms as much of the air around the flying machine into paint-mist. The idea is the same as during the mirror-challenge with Madman: cover invisible stuff with something so they can track them, then try to hit the shield as best they can.

Spoiler
    Show
    I transform the air, and follow along with the copter
    Good idea...But by the time you get there, the vehicle is already too far away.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

DT curses inwardly as he sees the top of the vehicle peek over the trees and houses, then disappears. He shoots madly and stretches his shield out as far as it would go, trying to hinder it in some way. When his efforts appear fruitless, DT visibly quakes with frustration. They were SO CLOSE, realizing the danger much earlier than anyone else could have, and they failed. And in all likelihood it was DT's fault, for compromising the team by letting the reporter on.

Blinking aside tears DT barrels through the door into the Adrians' house, barely bothering to scan for booby traps, and shouts,
    "Mr. and Mrs. Adrian, are you alright? We're the Zenith Watch, we're here to help."

18. - Top - End - #138

Quote Originally Posted by mutecebu View Post
    DT curses inwardly as he sees the top of the vehicle peek over the trees and houses, then disappears. He shoots madly and stretches his shield out as far as it would go, trying to hinder it in some way. When his efforts appear fruitless, DT visibly quakes with frustration. They were SO CLOSE, realizing the danger much earlier than anyone else could have, and they failed. And in all likelihood it was DT's fault, for compromising the team by letting the reporter on.

Blinking aside tears DT barrels through the door into the Adrians' house, barely bothering to scan for booby traps, and shouts,
    "Mr. and Mrs. Adrian, are you alright? We're the Zenith Watch, we're here to help."
    ((Wow. DT must really be upset if he's forgetting stuff like Mr Adrian being deceased for years.))

When Doublethink barges inside the house, one the first things he sees is Miss Adrian.
    Sobbing.
    With what looks a lot like a Shadow Beta agent holding her from behind, his left hand holding an army knife against her throat, and his right hand holding an automatic weapon in your direction.
    "Zenith Watch." his voice is none too friendly, but nevertheless calm and collected as he maintains his hostage between the two of you, with his back to one of the inner walls. "I do believe we still owe you for December. But Shadow always wins in the end - it just takes a bit longer some of the times.
    Apparently, the team left before I could hop in. Understandable...The girl is too valuable to risk a confrontation. We were warned that this could happen.
    So. Doublethink. This looks to me like a Mexican standoff...but I have the human shield. Miss Adrian here is of no consequence to us. But it would reflect rather poorly on your record if I were to slit her throat, no?"

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Blast! Now what the heck do we do? EA flaots down to stand next to DT, only at the last second realizing what's happening.
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

frown Re: Zenith Watch #4: A Miracle of Science

((Wow. DT must really be upset if he's forgetting stuff like Mr Adrian being deceased for years.))
    ((oops! ))

((Man, I should have scanned the inside before barging in. We might have sniped him.))

There it was, DT's gun on the agent and the agent's knife at Ms. Adrian's throat. Jane informs the rest of the party of the sticky situation, and politely asks Bravado to play medic again. DT considered the possibilities. If it came down to violence, the fastest team member for the situation was, well, DT himself. It was possible with the high muscle velocity of DT's gun he might be able to vanquish the officer before the Beta agent could harm the lady. However, he was dealing with a highly trained Beta officer and he probably shouldn't risk it.

The Beta officer really has no reason to murder Miss Adrian. They have their own moral code, and killing non-supers isn't high on the priorities list.
    ((Sun, correct me if this is way off the mark))

Talking seemed the most prudent course for the moment.

"Well, you should guard your bases better. It'd be a shame if we ended up finding and trashing another hideout, eh? But come now. You don't need her for your plans, and I can tell you're a Beta, but *you're* obviously not the highest priority here, either. So, you using the poor woman as a shield is not a necessary sacrifice for the greater good, but a cowardly ploy to save your own miserable hide. If she dies, it will be for your futile attempts at self-preservation, not for the glorious cause. Face it, no backup is coming, and we're not going to let you out of here unescorted. However, if Miss Adrian is harmed, I guarantee things will not go well for you."

While DT talks, Jane tells EA:
    "EA, how fast do your transmutations work? Could you ruin the knife before he'd be able to stab her?

((Needless to say, preparing an action to shoot the Beta if the Beta attacks anyone, EA melts the knife, or any other opening presents itself. Using nonlethal setting. Hero point to re roll accuracy (don't want to hit Ms. Adrian.))
    Last edited by mutecebu; 2008-02-16 at 10:20 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141

The Beta officer really has no reason to murder Miss Adrian. They have their own moral code, and killing non-supers isn't high on the priorities list.
    ((Sun, correct me if this is way off the mark))
    ((Not high on their priority list? Sure. Not a big issue either, though.))

"EA, how fast do your transmutations work? Could you ruin the knife before he'd be able to stab her?
    ((Considering it has a Touch range? I got my doubts.))

Talking seemed the most prudent course for the moment.

"Well, you should guard your bases better. It'd be a shame if we ended up finding and trashing another hideout, eh? But come now. You don't need her for your plans, and I can tell you're a Beta, but *you're* obviously not the highest priority here, either. So, you using the poor woman as a shield is not a necessary sacrifice for the greater good, but a cowardly ploy to save your own miserable hide. If she dies, it will be for your futile attempts at self-preservation, not for the glorious cause. Face it, no backup is coming, and we're not going to let you out of here unescorted. However, if Miss Adrian is harmed, I guarantee things will not go well for you."
    He grins. "My continued existence as a Beta agent serves the cause well enough. Good agents don't grow on trees, you know.
    And if you think I'm not willing to throw down with your lot if it comes down to it...You're dead wrong." His knife presses a bit into Miss Adrian's neck. Just a millimeter, not enough to endanger her life...but enough for a little blood to trickle down.
    White is at the entrance, but stops when he sees the Mexican standoff.
    "Ah. You." the Shadow agent remains impassible. "We've been wondering who you were working with these days."
    "If you harm her," White somehow manages to sound menacing and calm at the same time, "I will remove all the bones in your hands one by one, then force them down your throat. Then I'll start getting unpleasant."

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mutecebu View Post
    EA races through the possibilities, immediately throwing out an attempt to wrestle from across the room or fire a blast to snipe the agent. One possibility stands out: use his power to transmute the air into sleeping gas! The agent might notice before the gas takes effect, stabbing the mother and leaving the captive girl an orphan.
    He would have to risk it, hoping that the agent would a) be slowed enough to not stab, allowing DT to shoot, and b) that so much sleeping gas wouldn't kill the mother. A nervous laugh passes through EA, calming him slightly at the thought of c) rushing off to get the girl back to bring her mother back before it's too late.

Without saying a word, letting the other heroes distract the beta, EA starts transforming the air in the room to sleeping gas.
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143

((Holy crap.
    Er...Check the OOC thread.))

Suddenly, events start going so fast even Doublethink finds himself pressed for time.
    As an initial wave of dizziness assaults everyone in the room, DT realizes that this is the effect of some kind of narcotic agent, probably in the air.
    The Shadow officer has apparently realized something is off too, as his left hand begins pressing the knife into Miss Adrian's neck, while his right hand presses the trigger. Bullets begin flying in Doublethink's direction. They're so fast that even from your perspective, they hit almost as soon as they are shot; one after the other, they hit your force-field, until one of them finally breaks through with enough velocity to penetrate your chest by about an inch ((injured and bruised)).

((Bottom line...this is all happening extremely fast, so this one's mostly gonna be up to DT. I repeat: ))

((EDIT: On second thought, since mucetebu did say he was readying an action in case anything happened...))

The next instant, another shot resonates as a stun bullet leaves Doublethink's wristgun. Going at hypersonic speed, it goes past the agent and his hostage...then hits a small force-field construct generated right behind them, ricochets, and nails the agent on the back of his neck, releasing a powerful electric blast.
    The next instant, the agent falls to the ground, unconscious; Miss Adrian follows, with a large, profusely-bleeding gash in her neck.
    Last edited by sun_tzu; 2008-02-18 at 10:32 AM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Dwarf in the Playground

DT had wallowed in self-loathing enough, and frankly didn't have time for it anymore. He shouts for the med kit and examines Ms. Adrian. It was bad, but she might live.

"Get the Med kit here, STAT! Nightbane, I need you to move these people."

DT eyes the Beta and keeps his gun trained on him.
    "Come on, man. What did you think would happen?" If the Beta is still dangerous, DT uses his weapon several more times and stops him with little regard to personal comfort.

"So, what do you think... should we interrogate him, or leave him for the cops?"

25. - Top - End - #145

((For the sake of simplicity, I'm going to assume you're all inside the house, except for Gerit.))

White looks down at the situation. "Dammit!" He then rushes to Miss Adrian's side, and tries to use his elastic hand to stop the bleeding, while his other hand pulls out what looks like a Checkerboard card. "Checkmate, she's in critical condition! She needs med, now!"
    "On it." comes the digitalized voice from the card. "Bravado, go outside and bring Tiger Claw inside the room."
    A second after Bravado ruses out, there's some kind of flash or something. Doublethink's systems barely have the time to realize you're being teleported.
    You find yourself inside some high-tech compound. Checkmate is standing a few feet from you, grim-faced. What you guess is the medic team is rushing to help Miss Adrian, tending to her wound and applying some semi-liquid gel to her.

Doublethink:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You're getting some wireless communication from the gel, so, almost certainly nanotech. Also, your GPS is showing...interesting coordinates. As in, thirty feet beneath the ground...of the Cryosphere.
    This raises some interesting questions. In particular because, according to all reports, the force-fields surrounding the Cryosphere prevent teleportation.

A few seconds later, Bravado, carrying Gerit, is also teleported in.

White, visibly upset, talks to the mastermind: "Dammit all to Hell, Checkmate - Tony Gerden was Agent Zero! Bad enough that he fooled me, but how could it escape your attention?! Didn't the cards scan the nanomorphic gel on his face?! Didn't you find any holes in his background?! Weren't you supposed to be watching Shadow more closely than ever?!"
    Checkmate's expression becomes even more unreadable, and not just because his glasses hide his eyes. "For your information, old friend, I couldn't warrant your operation as much attention as I would have liked to, for the simple reason that there was urgent need for me to investigate other possibilities."
    "Other possibilities?"
    "I do not believe you fully realize the scale of what we are dealing with. The ability to reverse entropy like Katherine Adrian does requires cosmic capabilities, possibly even control over the arrow of time. I had to give a certain amount of thought to the eventuality that this was a precursor sign to events of a greater magnitude - on the scale of the Man of Might, to the very least. To give but one of the numerous examples...what good would it have done if I had helped you figure out Shadow's infiltration, if the next moment, villains from the 25th century had attacked the Earth, using as a conduit the temporal powers they had retroactively given the Adrian girl?"
    White seems taken aback. "That...is possible?"
    "I'm not saying it is the case. That was simply an example to give you an idea of what I have been investigating while you were looking for the source of the thermodynamic miracles. This entire matter presented me with entirely new variables, and I needed to think them through."

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

DT's eyes widened at... everything. DT recognized the man from his visions.

As soon as DT's GPS coordinates register the location, without even an apology to Jane he immediately shuts off all connection to the outside, and checks to see if the base has a wireless network he could use. He sets his firewalls to the "Paranoid Schizophrenia" level (it's a scale from Virus Breeding Ground to Brick Wall).

Wow! Checkmate! This is... surprising. I knew the girl's abilities might have enormous ramifications, but those ideas never occurred to me. If there's any raw computation you need help with, Jane and I are at your service. Speaking of which, may I use my satellite connections? Would you prefer I use the local connection?

((I know there are a lot of questions to ask, but keeping his internet running is very important to him. ))

27. - Top - End - #147

Nightbane

In the moments Zach had before being teleported, he made sure to secure the Beta in a deathgrip. He was not above pounding the agent back into submission should he begin to stir at all. He stood in the back of the group after the teleportation happened, though his eyes burned with white fire in the confusion. He could see it was friendly territory, and so let his eyes return to normal.

"Uh, guys... where are we?" Zach asked, finally seeing Checkmate. "Oh, nevermind. Look, is Ms. Adrian going to be ok? And do we have any way of tracking down that chopper? I've a feeling this goon isn't going to do much talking without some less-than-kosher tactics." He looked over at Eagle Owl and Agent White, knowing they were thinking the same thing.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eagle Owl tenses at the sudden shift in surroundings, relaxing only a fraction as he recognises Checkmate. He'd already seen the results of misplaced trust. He tunes out the techno-babble, focusing instead on the med-team treating Ms. Adrian and the Beta gripped by Nightbane. "The faster we get the girl away from Shadows hands the better, so unless someone has other suggestions..." Eagle Owl turns to the Shadow agent. "...I think things are about to get unpleasant for our guest here." He takes a step towards the Beta, his talons raised as he feels the bloodlust creep over him.
    Awesome Eagle Owl by Abardam.
    Looking for a player for a M&M game? Drop me a PM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

DT raises his hand to stop Eagle Owl.

"Hold on. You'll get your chance. However, lets get him away from the bleeding mother before any other mortal wounds happen. If we need information Checkmate doesn't have we'll do this right, Sodium Pentothal, the whole nine yards."

((I was looking up truth drugs and the like, and apparently the placebo effect is one of the more potent aspects; I thought that was interesting.))

EDIT: changed "EA" to "Eagle Owl"
    Last edited by mutecebu; 2008-02-23 at 07:10 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150

"When it comes to Internet connection, Mr Rod, I suggest going through the local network. We've got one of the rare accesses in the area not monitored by Overseer." ((The infamous AI that works as "Big Brother" for Professor Cryo. Doublethink's definitely heard of it; the rest of you might or might not have, reasonably.)) "As for Miss Adrian. Verdict?"
    "Not good" says one of the medics. "The nanos are on it, and we can probably save her from the Hemorrhage, but there's nerve damage, and the vocal cords are shot."
    "More reason to recover her daughter ASAP, then."
    Checkmate then turns to face your group. "Apparently, Shadow was quick to understand the value of the girl's powers. I am familiar with their way of thinking - they have, in likelihood, concluded that with her, they could offer perfect health and even immortality to any politician, businessman or power broker willing to throw in with their lot. Their dream of world conquest could become reality within two or three years. For this operation, they sent the best they had - intangibility devices, and the infamous Agent Zero. The latter is nothing short of a legend in the intelligence community." ((yeah, he's basically an evil James Bond. ))