New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

A small sphere composed of pure chaos called "Earth"

Default Hungry (*snicker*) for a Savage New Villain PrC?

I've posted this on the Wizards boards before, and I thought I'd crosspost it here for more good opinions. I made this to be an NPC PrC, so it may be a lot stronger than the average PC PrC. The idea is that your typical Maw Shaman will have a high level adjustment race with good physical stats so once it's grabbed 10 levels it'll be around CR 17 or so, but I allowed things like gnoll and lizardfolk to take it so that it can be used as a mid-level encounter as well.

Thick blood splattered everywhere as Taldak brought the deadly head of his flanged mace up into the ogre's now pulped jaw. The skilled human then whirled around, using his momentum to deliver the final devastating blow to the side of the brute's skull, which promptly splintered. He laughed with youthful arrogance as the ogre slumped to the ground, limp. Then, wiping the blood off of his hands, Taldak turned from his kill to survey the scene- warm ogre corpses littered the floor of the cave like so many broken ragdolls. Taldak laughed again. His deep, throaty chuckles echoed off the stone walls, but they didn't sound quite right... Taldak paused. The laughter didn't. Suddenly, a massive, blue-green ogre pounced out of the shadows not 20 feet from the surprised fighter. The ogre mage swung an enormous spiked club nearly the size of a tree trunk at his adversary, missing by scant inches. Seizing the chance, a vengeful Taldak leapt into melee, grinning as he drove within his enemy's threat range. But the ogre mage was grinning too. Suddenly, in one swift, smooth motion, the blue giant dropped his weapon, grabbing the surprised fighter by his shoulders and pulling him foreward with the help of his own momentum. Taldak, raising his weapon defensively, had only the time to hear a horrible grating sound as the ogre's mouth opened wider than it ever should have been able to, and then, only blackness.

Maw Shaman

Among the savage, monstrous, and giant humanoids there is practiced a twisted, evil art. Known only as "Maw" to most humanoids, this blissfully rare practice is the catalyst in a horrific transformation granting it's subject immense and terrible powers. Those who undergo the foul ritual of Maw are known as Maw Shamans. These terrifying combatants have replaced their stomachs with extradimensional portals capable of granting their bearers immense strength. Their signature ability to swallow opponents larger then they are is the subject of many a horror story in the civilized lands, where it is rumored that once a person disappears down the gaping maw of a Shaman, he may never again see the light of day.

Requirements:
    To qualify to be a Maw Shaman, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria.

Creature type: Animal (awakened), Dragon, Giant, Goblinoid, Humanoid (Orc only), Lycanthrope, Monstrous Humanoid, Reptilian, Undead.
    BaB:+5
    Feats: Great fortitude, endurance
    Special: Must perform a secret ritual involving killing and eating a demon or devil.

Hit die: d10
    Class skills: Climb (str), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Survival (wis), Swim (str)
    Skill points per level: 2+int modifier

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
    1st|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |Extradimensional Stomach, Gastric Juice 1d6, Grapple Bonus
    2nd|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |Improved Grab, Iron Gut, Gastric Juice 2d6
    3rd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |Fiend Belch 1/day, Gastric Juice 3d6
    4th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |Ghastly Meal 1/day, Toothy Maw, Gastric Juice 4d6
    5th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |Projectile Vomit 1/day, Gastric Juice 5d6
    6th|
    +4
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Swallow Whole, improved grapple, Gastric Juice 6d6
    7th|
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Fiend Belch 2/day, Gastric Juice 7d6
    8th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Devour, Ghastly Meal 2/day, Projectile Vomit 2/day, Gastric Juice 8d6
    9th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Expanded Stomach, Gastric Juice 9d6
    10th|
    +7/+2
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Death void, Ghastly Meal 3/day, Gastric Juice 10d6 [/table]

Extradimensional Stomach: Once you have completed your ritual, your stomach is replaced with an extradimensional portal. Because many of your vital organs have been replaced, you gain a bonus to fortitude saves against poison equal to your class level.

Gastric Juice: Although your stomach may be gone, the extradimensional portal that took it's place mimics it in twisted ways. As a standard action, you may spit gastric juices at any target within 60 feet as a ranged touch attack, dealing 1d6 acid damage. This damage increases by 1d6 every level.

Grapple Bonus: A Maw Shaman gets a bonus to grapple checks equal to half of his Maw Shaman level.

Improved Grab: At second level, you gain improved grab, as the feat. This works only for unarmed strikes or natural attacks involving the claws or teeth.

Iron Gut: At second level, you may store and retrieve items in your stomach as if it were a type one bag of holding. It takes a move action to procure the correct item from your stomach. No items are harmed when stored this way. If you die while you have items in your stomach, the extradimensional space carrying them closes, and they may never be seen again, even if you are resurrected (although when you are resurrected, a new portal is opened inside your stomach).

Fiend Belch: As you gain more control over the portal inside you, you can manipulate it's power. Once per day as a standard action, you may belch forth a demon or devil (depending on which type of creature you swallowed when performing your ritual). This creature will serve you loyally for 1 minute per class level, plus one minute per point of constitution modifier. The list for demon/devil type is this:
    3rd-5th level: Chain Devil or Babau
    6th-8th level: Bone Devil or Vrock
    9th-10th level: Ice Devil or Glabrezu

Ghastly Meal: As your "stomach" becomes more powerful, you gain the ability to consume corpses for nutrients and beneficial effects. This allows you to devour a corpse, healing 2 hit points for each hit die the corpse possessed. This does not allow you to consume functioning undead. Consuming a corpse in this manner takes 2 full round actions plus two per size category the creature is larger than you.

Toothy Maw: At 4th level, your teeth grow sharp and powerful. You gain a bite attack appropriate for your size. If you already have a natural bite attack, your damage scales up as if you were one size category larger than you really are, due to the increased size of your maw.

Projectile Vomit: At 5th level, you gain the vomiting ability, which allows you to use any of the below options 1 time a day each. At 8th level, this increases to 2 times per day each.
    1: Vomit fiend: As a ranged touch attack, you may vomit your fiend summoned with fiend belch at a creature within 30 feet. That summoned fiend is treated as charging, and may make a full attack at the end of the charge. at level 8 the range of this attack is improved to 60 feet.
    2: Acid Bath: You may use your gastric juice ability and spray it in a 20 foot cone. This increases to 40 feet at level 8. This prompts a reflex save (DC 10 +Maw Shaman level +con modifier) from the targets, rather than a touch attack. On a successful save the target takes half damage.
    3: Vile Bile: As a standard action, you may vomit a putrid mass of gunk on the ground at your feet. Any enemy creature witnessing you doing so must make a will save (10+Maw Shaman level+con modifier) or be sickened for 2d4 rounds. At level 8, all enemies that come within 30 feet of the Vile Bile are automatically sickened as long as they are within range. Vile Bile loses its potency after 1 hour.

Swallow Whole: At 6th level, you gain the ability to swallow enemies whole. You may unhinge your jaw, aided by your foul magic, and swallow an enemy up to large size that you are grappling by winning an opposed grapple check. Your stomach has AC 20 (plus your con modifier), and 35+(3x your Maw Shaman level) damage must be dealt with a light slashing or piercing weapon for a creature to cut it's way out. Should a creature cut itself out in this way, the magic of your portal closes the hole, forcing another swallowed creature to cut it's own way out. Your damage reduction (if any) does not apply to your stomach (which technically isn't really part of you). Once a creature is in your stomach, it takes 2d8+your strength mod damage and 8 points of acid damage each round.

Improved Grapple: At level 6 the Maw Shaman gains improved grapple as a bonus feat.

Devour: At 8th level, you can devour a foe that you've swallowed. Once per day you can take a standard action to activate the powerful magic of your stomach portal. If your opponent fails a fortitude save (DC 10 + your Maw Shaman level + your con modifier) then it dies instantly, and you gain HP equal to 2 times the devoured creature’s hit dice. Even if the creature makes the save, it takes triple damage that round from your swallow whole ability as it is pushed and pulled by the powerful forces of your stomach-portal.

Expanded Stomach: At 9th level, the extradimensional space inside you becomes vaster, allowing you to swallow one huge or two smaller creatures at once.

Death Void: At 10th level, the extradimensional space in your stomach becomes extremely powerful, giving off baleful negative energy. Once per round, as a free action, you may give a creature that is in your stomach a negative level. The will save DC to resist this negative level is 10+your Maw Shaman level + your con modifier. Every time a creature loses hit points as a result of gaining a negative level, you gain half that many hit points. This may only be applied to one enemy every round. Negative levels remain until 24 hours have passed or until they are removed with a spell, such as restoration. If a negative level is not removed before 24 hours have passed, the affected creature must attempt a Fortitude save (DC 10+Maw Shaman level + con modifier.) On a success, the negative level goes away with no harm to the creature. On a failure, the negative level goes away, but the creature’s level is also reduced by one. A separate saving throw is required for each negative level.

In addition, attacks made on your stomach no longer damage you, but swallowed creatures may still cut themselves out by dealing an appropriate amount of damage to the stomach itself.
    Last edited by Grimfist; 2007-10-27 at 10:30 AM.
    Many thanks to Ceika for the awesome avatar!

My current (and oddest ever) character: Hierot Grimsby

Spoiler
    Show

"Your approval fills me with shame."
    -Roy Greenhilt

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Hungry (*snicker*) for a Savage New Villain PrC? (P.E.A.C.H.)

Vomit Fiend is nearly pointless, since the fiend could just charge on the turn you summon it anyway. Technically it does allow crossing of pits and such, and charging at close range foes, but the usefulness to make it interesting just isn't there... I would consider allowing a full attack as well as counting as charging.

I strongly recommend replacing all absolute references to the size of the creatures a Maw Shaman can swallow with ones phrased in terms of its own size. I.E. "of your own size class or smaller" and "up to one size class larger than yourself". It is more traditional and feels more logical. OTOH if you think that this would imbalance it you can just decide "all extradimensional stomachs are created equal regardless of size". See also the Headhunter in the current MitP competition for some ideas on what should happen if they enter an extra-dimensional space or swallow someone carrying an extra-dimensional item (such as a portable hole or a bag of holding).

edit:
    Does taking this class effect the need to eat and drink? What about potions and Heroes Feast?

[humor]
    As a proponent of two parent households I must now strongly encourage you to develop a claw/slam attack based PrC in the same way that this might be said to be a bite attack based PrC... the Paw Shaman... that way you would have the Ma(w) and Pa(w) Shamans to raise the little shamans together...
    [/humor]
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2007-10-22 at 01:26 AM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Vomit Fiend is nearly pointless, since the fiend could just charge on the turn you summon it anyway. Technically it does allow crossing of pits and such, and charging at close range foes, but the usefulness to make it interesting just isn't there... I would consider allowing a full attack as well as counting as charging.
    Ah, thanks. That was what I had originally envisioned for the ability, but I didn't really implement it successfully. *Scurries to go make change*

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei
    I strongly recommend replacing all absolute references to the size of the creatures a Maw Shaman can swallow with ones phrased in terms of its own size. I.E. "of your own size class or smaller" and "up to one size class larger than yourself". It is more traditional and feels more logical. OTOH if you think that this would imbalance it you can just decide "all extradimensional stomachs are created equal regardless of size".
    Hmm, that is an interesting idea. I'd need to come up with a good range of sizes then. Any suggestions? I'm thinking huge should be the limit here.

See also the Headhunter in the current MitP competition for some ideas on what should happen if they enter an extra-dimensional space or swallow someone carrying an extra-dimensional item (such as a portable hole or a bag of holding).
    Ah, I deliberately avoided this subject. Too many adventurers have bags of holding on them, and I didn't really want to get into that messy subject. I'll check out that Headhunter you mentioned once I have a little bit more time and get back to you on that.

edit:
    Does taking this class effect the need to eat and drink? What about potions and Heroes Feast?
    Well I just assumed that sort of thing would stay as it usually is, but it would probably help with class flavor if I looked over that, wouldn't it? Again, I'll do that once I have more time, as class starts in about an hour.

[humor]
    As a proponent of two parent households I must now strongly encourage you to develop a claw/slam attack based PrC in the same way that this might be said to be a bite attack based PrC... the Paw Shaman... that way you would have the Ma(w) and Pa(w) Shamans to raise the little shamans together...
    [/humor]
    Ooh, haha, that was bad >_<

Spoiler
    Show

-Roy Greenhilt

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Update: Took DracoDei's advice with the fiend belch ability. Also changed "Stomach Storage" to "Iron Gut" and "Corpse Consumption" to "Ghastly Meal" so they sound more badass.

Spoiler
    Show

-Roy Greenhilt

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Haha, this sounds awesome!

Now, make a Large young Tyrannasaurus Rex with these class levels, named Yoshi ;)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

You really need to make the sizes depend on the original size. As it is, a Wererat can swallow a human, just as easily as a Troll can.

My suggestion is that, as soon as the "Swallow Whole" ability is given, they get the ability to swallow a creature up to one size smaller than them. Then, during the next three levels, it gains the ability to swallow creatures the same size as itself, one size larger, and then two sizes larger than itself. (Perhaps change it so that the feat "Gape of the Serpent" allows you to swallow a creature one size larger than you usually can, as that feat becomes useless once you can swallow opponents the same size as yourself.)

Think about it, and see if you'll implement it. If not, I'll just have to give this Prc to a wererat and send him against the party.

"Where'd the fighter go?"
    "I think that rat just ate him."

Anyway, I'll use it. Of that I am certain. I really like it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    You really need to make the sizes depend on the original size. As it is, a Wererat can swallow a human, just as easily as a Troll can.

My suggestion is that, as soon as the "Swallow Whole" ability is given, they get the ability to swallow a creature up to one size smaller than them. Then, during the next three levels, it gains the ability to swallow creatures the same size as itself, one size larger, and then two sizes larger than itself. (Perhaps change it so that the feat "Gape of the Serpent" allows you to swallow a creature one size larger than you usually can, as that feat becomes useless once you can swallow opponents the same size as yourself.)
    Well, I'm hesitant to make it dependent on the shaman's size for two reasons. First, flavorwise, I just thought it would be explained as the portal in the stomach temporarily spreading to the mouth and throat, allowing a creature no matter its size to swallow opponents much larger than itself. I really liked the imagery of a small Maw Shaman just sucking up adventurers and how creepy that would look.

Second, I'd like the class features to be equally powerful no matter what the base race. You will also notice that in order to swallow an opponent you must win a grapple check, which gives the shaman a sort of natural limit on how big of an opponent he can swallow. I actually considered giving this class some sort of innate bonus on grapple checks when I designed it.

Your suggestion is well-presented though. I'll toy around with it a little and see if it makes more sense. If I do add it, I'll probably also include that grapple bonus I mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring
    Think about it, and see if you'll implement it. If not, I'll just have to give this Prc to a wererat and send him against the party.

"Where'd the fighter go?"
    "I think that rat just ate him."

Anyway, I'll use it. Of that I am certain. I really like it.
    This is really awesome! When you do, please be sure to tell me how it plays.

Spoiler
    Show

-Roy Greenhilt

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by daedu View Post
    Haha, this sounds awesome!

Now, make a Large young Tyrannasaurus Rex with these class levels, named Yoshi ;)
    It's so true! Except instead of eggs, there's demons and vomit.

Update: Made Projectile Vomit get a slight boost in power by level 8. Also clarified some of the rules of the attacks a bit.

Spoiler
    Show

-Roy Greenhilt

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Hungry (*snicker*) for a Savage New Villain PrC?

I have a few more suggestions for changes actually.

1st: If you go for my suggested change to the swallow whole ability, I would suggest moving it so that they gain it at level 5, and it steadily becomes better at level 6 (X-1), 7 (X), 8 (X+1) and 9 (X+2).

2nd: Remove the "Improved Grapple" requirement, and instead give it as a bonus feat, since Imp Unarmed Strike becomes useless for most, if not all, Maw Shamans.

3rd: Reduce the BaB requirement, to allow for creatures with natural HD that only gives 3/4th BaB to enter it a bit earlier.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have a few more suggestions for changes actually.

1st: If you go for my suggested change to the swallow whole ability, I would suggest moving it so that they gain it at level 5, and it steadily becomes better at level 6 (X-1), 7 (X), 8 (X+1) and 9 (X+2).
    Sounds reasonable. I think I'd still like all Maw Shamans to swallow the same-sized creatures though.

2nd: Remove the "Improved Grapple" requirement, and instead give it as a bonus feat, since Imp Unarmed Strike becomes useless for most, if not all, Maw Shamans.
    This is a really good idea. I'll do that real quick.

3rd: Reduce the BaB requirement, to allow for creatures with natural HD that only gives 3/4th BaB to enter it a bit earlier.
    Sounds reasonable. What should I reduce it to? I'll change it to 5 for now.

Spoiler
    Show

-Roy Greenhilt

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

How about a BAB of +4? Not less at least. But I think that is low enough for the Shaman to get it without it being too easy for it to get.

Also, what's the reason for the very specific races? Any reason that Ettins, Animals, Orcs, etc, can't take it?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

How about a BAB of +4? Not less at least. But I think that is low enough for the Shaman to get it without it being too easy for it to get.
    Sounds reasonable. Actually I think I'll put it at +5, just so the +1 LA creatures have to hit at least level 6 before they start taking the PrC, as is standard fare.

Also, what's the reason for the very specific races? Any reason that Ettins, Animals, Orcs, etc, can't take it?
    I just wanted it to be mainly for "savage" humanoids. I suppose an orc could work, as could an ettin, so I'll add both of those. An awakened animal... hmm, that is something to think about... Actually, I just fixed it by listing creature types which are acceptable rather than individual creatures. Think that works?
    Last edited by Grimfist; 2007-10-24 at 04:16 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

-Roy Greenhilt

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I think that is procedurally much better. Might want to add dragons to the list... there is a feat in Draconomicon which lets them swallow whole... so at least if they have that, and maybe as an alternative to it...
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Yeah, I think that is procedurally much better. Might want to add dragons to the list... there is a feat in Draconomicon which lets them swallow whole... so at least if they have that, and maybe as an alternative to it...
    How did I forget dragons? Thanks for the reminder, I'll add those right now.

Spoiler
    Show

-Roy Greenhilt

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm... seems good. Though now, Gnolls can't take the PrC, since they're considered humanoid (Gnoll) Perhaps give the PrC to magical beasts and Abberations as well while you're at it? But yeah, I really, REALLY like this PrC, and hope that I'll get to use it soon.

And I still think it should be own size dependant, because now, a dragon can swallow an enlarged Dire wolf. But with my suggestion, that enlarged Dire Wolf can swallow the dragon instead. Amiright or amiright?

Oh, one more thing. I can't believe how I've kept missing this but, the BAB. You have to either give them full BAB or give them some bonus to grapple checks. Otherwise, they will have a hard time using their signature ability to swallow others whole.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Well, between size bonuses and the +4 from Improved Grapple, they shouldn't need TOO much help in most cases...
    Extended Signature

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, both of you are correct. This class is intended to be used vs. adventurers, so their targets will often be one or more sizes smaller than they are. However, I still really like the idea of a small Maw Shaman being able to swallow things much larger than it is. The imagery is just incredibly cool. Can you imagine how scared/creeped out the PC's would be if a small Maw Shaman started gulping them down?

Again, a dire wolf may be able to swallow a dragon, but he'd be getting a penalty on the check for size and the dragon would probably have higher strength, so he'd have trouble winning the grapple check. When running the class, feel free to houserule the swallow whole ability to be based on size, but flavorwise I like it the way it is.

Lastly, full BaB would only be granting +3 to the check, but at the same time I don't want these guys being better at melee than your average fighter even without their swallow whole ability. Perhaps I should give them just a flat grapple bonus? The shaman's likely large str bonus will probably put him on par as far as grapple checks go vs. the full BaB and decent str of the average fighter, and he'll have an additional +8 from size and imp grapple. This is not counting magic items such as belt of ogre strength... so perhaps a bonus would be worthwhile. Maybe 1/2 Maw Shaman level to grapple?

Spoiler
    Show

-Roy Greenhilt

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, yeah, that grapple bonus seems like a good idea. Bigger monsters are gonna succeed on the grapple check anyway, so it's the weaker Maw Shamans that are in need of a boost to grapple checks. With that change, the wererat Maw Shaman will have a chance to swallow the fighter. Especially if he's got a level or two more than the party, a decent strength and some levels in Barbarian or Ranger.