New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: S.C.A.R.S. D20 Modern

8 sentient beings? Hopefully none are to hostile Matt says, his mind thinking of all the various Alien and Predator movies he's seen. If you dont mind me asking, what star sytem is your planet, and the planets of the other 6 species, in?

Go Tigers!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Alex remains silent through the discussion, but listens intently and pulls out his computer, making a transcript of the conversation.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Wow. I guess we're not so special after all. Anyways, as someone of a technical background, how does that faster-than-light travel work? I'm sure my knowledge is elementary to your race, but I'd love to hear an overview of it and anything else," says Max.

[OOC: If the aliens are willing, Max will go talk shop with one of them until the cleanup crew arrives. That'll save some time in the exposition phase.]
    Last edited by Elektro; 2008-01-21 at 05:27 PM.
    "Il nous faut de l'audace, et encore de l'audace, et toujours de l'audace" Georges Jacques Dalton

"Know the enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles you will never peril." Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Current and Completed Diplomacy Games

The excellent Gen. George S. Patton avatar courtesy of Tomb_Raven

4. - Top - End - #184
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well... The alien goes into an explanation about faster than light travel, something involving making short range work-holes, that effectively slingshot you from one place to another, and at each area bounce randomly in the general direction of where you want to go, eventually depositing you in the right place. Anyone with knowledge of the internet immediately grasps the concept, those without such knowledge find it difficult to understand. The actual device is much more complex, and the exact nature of it eludes you especially since most of their scientific terms are far different from your own.

Is there anything that anyone else wants to do while he explains this (it takes about half an hour)?
    Spoiler
    Show

My first avatar.

Mad King Avatar Courtesy of Abardam. Thanks man!

Please do click this link: Wonderful homebrew, articles and other resources.

The Forge

5. - Top - End - #185

Alex takes careful notes on the Alien's talk about the use of faster than light travel. Copying these into an email, he contacts the US office of patents....

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

so did they not want to answer my question, or was it missed?

Go Tigers!

7. - Top - End - #187

You get the feeling the alien purposely ignored your question.
    Spoiler
    Show

My first avatar.

The Forge

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

Kain

"Sooo... you guys have a name or anything?"

Not being able of thinking anything smarter to ask, Kain blushes slighty, but still waits for answer.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

9. - Top - End - #189

Not names as you would call them. Our language in fact is not spoken in words. It is difficult to describe, a comparison I suppose would be the difference between your English letters and Japan's characters. But as for names, we have none in English, but you are more than welcome to decide your own name for us.
    Spoiler
    Show

My first avatar.

The Forge

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

"Oh fun, i love making up names" matt says sarcastically. "about these other beings in the galaxy. You seem to be reluctant to tell where they are, but would you tell what they are? body shape, any odd abilities, etc that they might have? It would be very useful knowledge for the human race, and wouldn't put your race in any danger."

Go Tigers!

11. - Top - End - #191

Kurt Scarborough
    Still keeping his rifle trained on the leader's skull and staying out of sight, Kurt listened for signs of the conversation going downhill. He whispered into the headset, carefully depressing the 'talk' button.

"<Don't name them. We can learn their names - at least, the sound parts of it.>"

12. - Top - End - #192

The first two you know of. A third is a human sub-species, they are slightly more well built than Earth's humans, however they lack the intelligence that you posses. I believe that you would call them "cave men." How they arrived on the other planet is a mystery to us, however alien sightings on your planet may explain it partially.

Another race that has achieved faster-than-light travel, in a different means than our own, are known by themselves as the Granth. They are smaller than humans, however they are extremely intelligent. Their heads are rather bulbous, and they have dark grey skin. They have frequently visited your planet, and I believe that many of your world's ideas about aliens come from this species.

The other species I know little of, the little information that our government has on them is highly restricted. I can tell you however that two of them exist within your solar system, and a third exists on your planet.

The last race is a highly aggressive barbaric race that has attacked any and all of our scouts that have run into them. The good news is that they lack faster than light travel and are stuck on their home world.

You hear a rumble in the distance, looking over you see headlights turning off the main road heading directly for the hill.
    Spoiler
    Show

My first avatar.

The Forge

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

One on our planet? I'm amazed. We may be lacking in exploration of space, but I thought we had most of our own planet known. And with two more in our solar system...Wow. We're smack dab in the middle of the hotspot here, aren't we? Seeing the lights coming, Matt smiles. Well, looks like the brass is coming in. You should be able to get to work on sorting out an agreement soon. It was...interesting talking to you. Hopefully it can all be worked out peacefully. Not knowing (or really caring) if the aliens understood the gesture or not, Matt extends his hand to the alien who had been doing talking.

Go Tigers!

14. - Top - End - #194

A hummer crosses the field easily and pulls to a stop at the base of the hill. Out of the hummer six men dressed in fatigues toting M-16s come towards you. You've met the other SCARS teams and these men look nothing like themnor do they carry standard SCARS gear. If you had to make a guess, they look as if they are Army infantrymen.
    Spoiler
    Show

My first avatar.

The Forge

15. - Top - End - #195
    Dwarf in the Playground

"What the f*** is this? Guys, keep the aliens out of sight. I'm going to go see what's up.", says Max after seeing the grunts pile out.

He jogs down to the Hummer and finds the sergeant (assuming this is a fireteam, otherwise whoever the brass is). "Lieutenant Max Clark, 2nd Battalion, 502th PIR. We have a cache of unexploded munitions up there some damn flyboy dropped when he flew his plane into the ground. Are you all here to help us cordon off the area from any civvies getting their ass blown up?" , asks Max.

He will await their response and see exactly who they are before letting them know anything else.
    "Il nous faut de l'audace, et encore de l'audace, et toujours de l'audace" Georges Jacques Dalton

"Know the enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles you will never peril." Sun Tzu, The Art of War

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

Kain

"Oh great, jsut what we needed. Even more troubles. You guys stay here, and try to hide the aliens, like Max said. I'm going with him to see what will come out of this."

With that, Kain sets after Max. After arriving to the infantrymen he waits for Max to introduce himself and then he introduces himself as well.

"Kain Ackerman, Private 1st class."

Figuring it would be better to let Max do the talking, he waits to see what the others will say.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."

17. - Top - End - #197

Army radar picked up a low flying Unidentified flying object. We contacted the Air Force, and they informed us that they picked it up too. Nobody knew where it came from. We have orders to find the UFO and secure it. Now then, if you don't mind telling us why you're really here?
    Spoiler
    Show

My first avatar.

The Forge

18. - Top - End - #198

Kurt Scarborough
    Taking a mental note to himself about getting a laser sight for his rifle, Kurt checks his watch for the time. Hopefully, at least cleanup ought to be getting here soon.

19. - Top - End - #199

Alex (assuming he hasn't been seen by the soldiers yet) curses under his breath, and helps direct the aliens into one of the buildings without being seen.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Dwarf in the Playground

"The higher-ups already sent us to check it out. Let's get on the horn and see who caused this SNAFU." , replies Max. He then attempts to get their commanding officer on the phone.

Max will work to stall the grunts until either the backup team gets their or he can get a stand down order from the unit commander.

21. - Top - End - #201

Just to make sure that you know, you have no real military jurisdiction. That being said, how do you plan on reaching their commanding officer?
    Spoiler
    Show

My first avatar.

The Forge

22. - Top - End - #202
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kirbsys View Post
    Just to make sure that you know, you have no real military jurisdiction. That being said, how do you plan on reaching their commanding officer?
    OOC: I don't I don't have any real military jurisdiction, but I have the uniform and paperwork to make me look like I do. I can contact the commanding officer via their radio or worst case by a cell phone. I'd assume if a UFO crashed their CO would want to keep tabs on what they found.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

Matt steps up behind the others. "Whats your name son? he asks the man in front. "My team and me are supposed to keep this area restricted from anyone except our superiors. Or a general i suppose, but I dont see any stars on you. Mind if i take a look at your orders?"

Go Tigers!

24. - Top - End - #204

Sir, I have strict orders to find out what is going on here, sir. Here's the radio if you'd like to contact the major, sir. As for orders, you'll have to talk to him. My name is Lieutenant Frye, sir.
    Spoiler
    Show

My first avatar.

The Forge

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

"I'm sorry Lieutenant, but my orders are to not let anyone by without written permission from a Colonel or higher. I'm afraid you can't pass. However, my superior officer is on his way here as we speak, and you may take the matter up with him when he gets here." Matthew glances at his watch, "Which should be any minute now. I'm sorry about the SNAFU, hopefully we can get it settled when the higher-ups get here. Unfortunately, part of the restricted area is those houses in front of us, but please feel free to make yourselves comfortable here for a few minutes."

Go Tigers!

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

Kain

Up until now, Kain just stood there, behaving like a good grunt should. However, when Matt mentions that the brass should be arriving any second now, he gets the idea. He turn to Max.

"Lieutenant, with your permission I'd like to start towards our officiers. It'll be easier for them to find us if somebody shows them where we are."

[OOC]I assume Max will give Kain permission. Once he gets it, Kain will move away just enought to be out of line of sight of others and then hide to look if there are any other soldiers near. He will also try to locate their COs and explain situation to them so they'll know as much as possible before getting to the scene. He will also notify Kurt of his actions, when he is far away enought so the others won't hear him.[/OOC]

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide - (1d20+9)[28]
    Move silently - (1d20+9)[23]
    Spot - (1d20+1)[19]
    Listen - (1d20+1)[10]

27. - Top - End - #207

Alright, you get back to the road when you see another SUV roll up. The men that jump out are from the other SCARS team. They are all wearing tactical assault gear and have assault rifles. One of them, a man you know as Ryan, walks up and asks where the others are.

Back on the hill,
    Well then sir, we'll need to wait for your commanding officer to arrive. May I see your military IDs please?
    Spoiler
    Show

My first avatar.

The Forge

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

Acting as though he hadn't heard the question, Matt looks up at the arrival of the new team. Ah, here's the others now. Ryan, what took you so long? We have some people here that wish to speak with the man in charge. Perhaps you could send them to him?"

Go Tigers!

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

Kain

"Ryan, this are the guys I've told you about. Could you see to them so they get what they came for?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Assume they have been briefed on everything, positin of aliens and allies included.

30. - Top - End - #210

Kurt Scarborough
    Kurt doesn't move - if negotiations went sour, his position would be necessary.