Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 300 of 1506

Thread: A New Chance

  1. - Top - End - #271
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Sorry for not coming out and saying this before, but Day 2 officially starts NOW. Finish up lagging details from Day 1, such as banter back and forth between PC's and/or combat rounds. That being said I've got some work to do. Several of you have sent me PM's recently, and they will be answered.... eventually. I'm just not used to having to answer so many things at once. For some reason, running a nearly freeform game with upwards of a dozen players takes a lot of time, who knew? Anyways, off to the megaposting.

    EVERYONE

    I don't care how little or how much contact you have with anyone or anything, you somehow know the headline of today's newspaper: The monsters only come out at night. Here are some highlights of the article:

    ...Late last night, the Reaper escaped from custody, taking the innocent Dr. Margret Fritz with him, their location is unknown. The Reaper is harmed by light, the public is urged to carry some sort of light source on them after dark...

    ... Violent vigilantes swarm over the streets. The potential jewel-thiefs were found dead outside a local jewlery store by a local 14 year old girl, after suffering blunt force trauma that could only result from what police investigators described as "super human strength, and animalistic morals." A stylized "P" was found scrawled in blood at the scene...

    ...Three gang members were found dead in alleyway. They died of multiple severe lacerations consistant with injuries resulting from long blades and claws. The difference in weapons and position of the wounds suggests there were multiple attackers....

    [Blurp about the bank incident with Legion, this will be edited in once the event has been finished]


    Legion

    "I told you before, the security room is at the far end of the security deposit room. You need the bank president's key to get into that area, and the key you have to open the door to the security room itself."

    Alex

    {This is meeting you were referring to the other day, correct? If so, then I really have nothing to say.}

    Nosferatu

    As you fly about, quite a number of people try and make themselves scarce as they see your, others go about their day as usually, and a small number of them wave at you. You don't really see any crimes afoot however. If Pulse does indeed not alter his actions, I think you could have a chance meeting.

    Reaper/Joe/Thugs

    {I just realized that Reaper flanking with Joe = Sneak attack, which wasn't rolled for like the past 2 turns, so umm, *deads knife guy, deals 2d6 damage to bat guy, and redirects Reaper's attack to Bat guy. I also recorded the 3 of them as dead, because the two of your are frankly doing to mutilate this last mook}

    Joe backs up and heals himself, Reaper slices clean through the knife guy and embeds his claws into Bat guy *wink-wink*. Bat guy then tries to clonk Reaper, failing miserably.

    attack and damage rolls (1d20+7=18, 1d6+6=12)

    Murky

    You drive around in your "fancy" hunk of metal for like 20 minutes before you wind up outside the "Texas Cradle". If it involves cards and money, this place has it.

    Professor Lachlan Dark aka Paragon

    A few of the professors in the crowd continue to look skeptical, while a few look at you with something closer to respect. It appears that none of them have really pressing questions for the time being. Although some of them may not like it, you just made a lot of sense to them. Unless there is something else you would like to add, they start heading out to fulfill their respective duties, a few grumbling on the way.

  2. - Top - End - #272
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PlasticSoldier's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Right below TPAM
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    "Thanks for being cooperative if you want I could get you a gift from the Deposit boxes. Also is there anyone who actively sits in the Security Room and does security?" Orig says before creating a clone that looks exactly like the guard and has the same outfit. Guard Clone will pick up the gun, keys, ID etc. and walk out of the bathroom up the steps and behind the desk looking around for his "fellow" guards.

    Geez3r: I already rolled the disguise check and its the post right above your update.

  3. - Top - End - #273
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Raven T.'s Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Where Nature rules
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    (Yes, it is...if you want to throw me something between 7:30 and noon, go ahead, but I won't overwork you.)

    Alex

    After sending out the e-mail, he checked the news online. Some people would think that, if you unplugged him from his hardware, he would cease to function. This is only partially true; he would still be able to function, just not well. Seeing the new items, he leaned back and began to muse on the state of things.

    This is more than I could ever have hoped for. These freaks deciding to kill, terrorize, and do other things that are causing them to be demonized in the press...all the more reason to develop an antidote. A fitting punishment for those who break the social norms. And, who's going to keep supplying the world with new villains? Alex smirks to himself some at the last though, filing it away for later, and began to dig into his work load.
    There are those in this world who cannot abide women and detest their company; I do not number among them. Women are the charming sex, wonderfully unreasonable and meant to be adored.

    I met him in a swamp down in Dagobah
    Where it bubbles all the time like a giant carbonated soda.
    S-o-d-a, Soda

  4. - Top - End - #274
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Arkham Asylum!

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Joe charged and attempted to simply disable his foe... he wanted to take some prisoners!

    ROLLS: 22 for attack and 16 for damage. Crap, I forgot the -4 for nonlethal damage... that's an 18, not a 22. Either way, I'm pretty sure this guy's unconcious...
    Last edited by Xerxes Shadow; 2007-11-16 at 10:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormthorn View Post
    The closest thing to humor in my previous RP experiance was a time when my bard was accused of rape. So...im new to that aspect.
    Spoiler
    Show

  5. - Top - End - #275
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Tar Palantir's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    OOC: I'm assuming the thug's unconscious from Joe's attack. Also, Xerxes, I'm assuming in my post that Joe will come with me to save time. If not, I can change it.

    The Reaper

    The Reaper pauses, wiping the blood off of his claws on one of the dead thug's pants. He then turns to Joe and the third, unconscious thug. He says, "If you want to keep him, grab him. Either way, follow me, and keep up." He leads Joe swiftly back to his old apartment, its windows sealed against even the smallest amount of light. The two enter unseen, and the Reaper locks the door behind them. He says to Joe, "Get some sleep. I'll keep watch. We'll talk in the morning." He then sits back against the wall, still but wide awake.

    Day Two

    Morning dawns, but none of the hated light enters the apartment where the Reaper shelters. As Joe begins to wake, he finds the Reaper turning on the television, its brightness set low, to find news reports about himself on practically every channel. At the advice of carrying a light source after dark, he would have smiled, if he had a mouth. No flashlight could stop him, if he had wanted to kill them. But he was a changed man, and so searched for any sign of the strange doctor. Apparently they thought that he had kidnapped him. Interesting. He then turned to Joe. "It appears that I am now public enemy number one," he remarked, moving to sit across from the katana wielding man. "I am trying to perform a task, and I would like your assistance, if you would be willing to offer it to me. You know that I am the Reaper; What is your name?"
    Thanks to Thormag for my Legion avatar.

    Current Characters:

    Lily Nightingale, a.k.a. Sparrow, in V for Victory (OoC)

  6. - Top - End - #276
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2007

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Murky

    (OOC: first attempt to use forum roller will take place in this post)

    Murky cursed to himself. It had taken 20 minutes to reach the Texas Cradle, and it was only a 15 minute walk from his apartment. The sunlight was really bothering his senses, but in his greyed out car, he hadn't realized it was that bad.

    He reached into the back seat and unrolled his crowbar, and wrapped the blanket around himself. Murky left the crowbar on the seat; if he would need a weapon, no doubt the Baretta would be more intimidating. Cursing the brilliance of the sun, he opened the door of his Charger, and promptly tripped over a chain he couldn't see with all the clothing bundled about his head.

    'OWW! Who in their right mi-' "GRRRROWWW BARK BARK BARK GRARRRR" 'Oh blast. That old geezer Cone must have slept here last night, and he left his bleeding dog tied up outside.' With that, Murky finally got the blanket off his head; the dog was kicking up a horrible racket, and at least 2 or 3 more had joined in the noise. 'Holy crap!' Murky yelled as soon as he could see. The dog, a massive german shepherd, was knawing on his knee, and snarling the whole time. 2 more dogs had come bounding down the street, possibly strays, and were barking as loudly as possible; all four were drooling and looked absolutely beserk.

    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll0]
    [roll1]


    'Get off me dog! I'm not a chew toy!' Murky tried to shove the dog away from him, but it wouldn't stop. It came right back in, this time with the other 2 right behind it.

    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]
    [roll6]
    [roll7]


    Murky was getting desperate. This was the second time today; last time he simply fled from the scene, but at that point he had a head start. Now he didn't. He had to do something.. and he had a 20' arm that could reach his crowbar. He twisted around and grabbed it out of the back seat of his car.
    The dogs wouldn't stop trying to rip his clothes off, and so he started swing the crowbar at them, trying to make them back off; he hoped they wouldn't die.

    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll8]
    [roll9]
    [roll10]
    [roll11]
    [roll12]
    [roll13]
    [roll14]
    [roll15]

  7. - Top - End - #277
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Arkham Asylum!

    Default Re: A New Chance

    "Dear God, thank you!" Joe was understandably tired from dragging an unconcious thug over roofs. It was kinda scary... in less than a day, he had become used to that mode of transit. ((Beware... long internal monologue time!))

    As he bound and gagged the unconcious thug ((Use Rope check 14)) he reflected on what had happened that day. I killed someone, he began. I beat up a cop, I knocked a man out, I plotted to save a vicious killer. I was nearly incarcerated for life because of that... well, better not think it. There might be a telepath around. I escaped from the cops... this is twice Reaper's saved my butt, by the way.

    I'm starting to get the hang of this superhero stuff, I guess. I'm smarter than ever, and feeling great. I just discovered I can heal myself too. What was in those vitamins, anyway? They must have been mutated by the blast. I'll have to go back there soon, and find out what brand they were... and I'll have to figure out what chemical that was. I hope that the Reaper will help me.

    Why am I feeling so guilty over killing that guy? It's not like I've never killed before. With my bare hands, no less. But this felt different... like I was taking advantage of him somehow. He didn't have powers... I do. Not his fault I'm a superenhanced mutant freak.

    Dear God, I'm not even human anymore! What do I tell Laura? I haven't seen her since last week... she didn't call after the explosion! Is she okay? Is she even humanoid anymore? I saw what the explosion did to some of these people... it was horrible. Oh my God, what if Laura's a lizard? I have to find her and make sure she's okay.

    I have to make sure she...
    He drifted off into a restless sleep, filled with nightmares about Laura as a monster.

    He woke up early the next morning to find the Reaper standing as vigilant as before. He rubbed his eyes and saw the thug was awake as well, squirming. "Joe Kobayashi. I really have to thank you for saving me... twice now. First from a life in prison... second from those thugs. They would've torn me to pieces." He thought for a moment. "How can I repay you? I'll help you hide as much as I can, but there's no guarantee my forged documents would work for a shadow-man with claws and a goth-style aversion to light."
    Last edited by Xerxes Shadow; 2007-11-17 at 12:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormthorn View Post
    The closest thing to humor in my previous RP experiance was a time when my bard was accused of rape. So...im new to that aspect.
    Spoiler
    Show

  8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Wiz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    LA

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Pulse

    After a busy morning of preparations, and a careful sneaking away from his house before taking to the air, the new, improved Pulse is gliding along, his flyer making a low-level whining noise and smoke coming out the back. He scans the streets of Rainport below him, shadows creeping across the city as it is still morning. He keeps an eye to the shadows, for he knows Reaper is on the loose. "Next time, I'll make sure there aren't any shadows about."

    As Pulse keeps his senses alert, he is thinking about the other people killed. The jewel thieves, obviously slain by a vigilante. The two men found dead in the alley from claws and blades. "Reaper likely... I hope to god the other wasn't the jumping guy who knocked out the cop... I let him get away."

    Quote Originally Posted by evisiron View Post
    Gliding through the air, Nosferatu ... raises his hand in greeting: "Its nice weather to fly in, isnt it?"
    Pulse looks up at the gliding hero and banks his flyer making a slow circle around him. "Very much so... good morning." He looks the other over slowly. "The vampire theme is interesting, though you don't seem to have their most commonly known weakness."
    Last edited by Wiz; 2007-11-17 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Epimetheus...
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

  9. - Top - End - #279
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    evisiron's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    In the Playground

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiz View Post

    Pulse looks up at the gliding hero and banks his flyer making a slow circle around him. "Very much so... good morning." He looks the other over slowly. "The vampire theme is interesting, though you don't seem to have their most commonly known weakness."
    "Nor the craving for human blood. Personally, I am quite thankful for that. Anyway, my name is Nosferatu. You also seem to have an interesting theme"

    Nosferatu examines the 'taste' of the other supers power while he speaks. It's almost a copper / metallic taste, almost like the taste of blood. But it seems to shift and move... And the taste is strong. Whatever this persons power is, he is using it now.

    "This may be a redundant question due to the fact you are flying about in broad daylight, but what are your motives for being out here? To make my intent clear, are you patrolling to keep the streets and civilians safe, or looking to attack someone with similar powers and/ or the general populous? Speaking of which, what are your powers?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Behold Nosferatu, the Plant Vampire:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Kpenguin!

    Thanks Serpentine!


    Referring to Pop Yule Ashun:
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberRebirth View Post
    evisiron, that is the most awesome character idea I have ever heard of. I'm going to subscribe to this thread and look forward to updates.

  10. - Top - End - #280
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    dfpiii's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Lightbulb Re: A New Chance

    Professor Lachlan Dark aka Paragon

    "I'm sure we'll all get a chance to speak individually over the next few weeks about our normal business. Good morning, gentlemen," Professor Dark says.

    As the group leaves he notices one of them has left a newspaper behind. He looks at it for the moment, considering the implications of Morgenstern and Von Neumann's common knowledge. The situation changed with the certainty that everyone involved knew certain things. Ignorance could in fact be a position of strength.

    Of course Von Neumann had helped construct the A-bomb that fell on Nagasaki. Professor Dark wondered if he had moralised over the issue of murder on a broad scale or calculated - with characteristic brilliance - a pay-off matrix for the World War II game. Or if he, like so many others, had responded to situational necessity and had simply done what was asked of him.

    He picked up the paper and read it.

    ... Violent vigilantes swarm over the streets. The potential jewel-thiefs were found dead outside a local jewlery store by a local 14 year old girl, after suffering blunt force trauma that could only result from what police investigators described as "super human strength, and animalistic morals." A stylized "P" was found scrawled in blood at the scene...

    "Poor girl," he muttered automatically. Leaving the bodies out like that had been needlessly arrogant and careless. He would have to watch himself for that in future.

    He made a point of putting the paper in a bin outside his office on the way to his 9am class. He was grateful that the Reaper had escaped, because it would deflect attention. But kidnap - of this Dr Fritz - seemed entirely out of character. Everyone else was just killed, as evidenced by the subsequent street deaths - unless there were two maniacs prowling the streets with claws. Something didn't seem quite right there. Did Dr Fritz have something Reaper wanted? What did Reaper want? Would he be a target for this creature? Or was this Dr Fritz not a victim at all?

    He filed that thought for later investigation. He could not know the truth and the conjecture was unhelpful.

    Professor Dark walked into the lecture hall alongside the last straggling students.

    "Quiet," he commanded with an authority he could never have summoned last week. He would have got less attention if he had fired a gun into the air. Professor Dark thrilled - buzzed - with the sensation of power. "When the class begins I speak and you do not speak unless it is to me".

    "This is Dynamics 101. It is intended as an introduction to the subject for those of you in your first year of studies for degrees in the physical sciences and engineering - for whom it is compulsory - and as an optional class for those of you following less reputable pursuits," he finished that with a winning smile. He had magnificent teeth. "I understand we also have a few students in from City University who are here by virtue of some sort of geographically limited, socially-minded student exchange programme. Welcome to you all - don't leave gum under the seats".

    "If none of these descriptions apply to you then, as Bob Dylan said, you're in the wrong place my friend, you'd better leave". A few sheepish grins were evoked and a couple left as quietly as possible.

    "I want to say before we begin that I appreciate - and the faculty appreciates - that this is a difficult time. We will treat sensitively any issues you bring to us now. The city is in turmoil. People have died. The order of our world has changed. It is possible that some of you here today have been gifted - and I believe that is the right word - with extraordinary abilities".

    "But you are all here today because you are in some way excellent. When we have all adjusted to our new world, you will all still be excellent. You will all still have a duty to your own talents. And I will continue to have a responsibility to direct those talents productively".

    "I am Professor Dark," he said. "Who can tell me what dynamics is?"

    A few hands shot up around the room, all people eager to make an impression, to distinguish themselves for the new Head of Department. He made a note of who these eager young hopefuls were.

    "Good," he said, selecting none of them. "Those of you who do not have your hands up will learn today. Next Monday morning when I ask this question you will all put your hands in the air".

    "Dynamics is the study of forces on the motion of objects. As such it comes to us from the application of Newton's three laws of motion. Page three in the textbook assigned for this class tells you what those laws are and I see also has an amusing picture of a man in a powdered wig - presumably Newton - being hit on the head with an apple.... This picture will not feature in your exam".

    There was a ripple of appreciative laughter.

    "However Newtonian physics will form the basis of your first three weeks in this class before we move on to specific topics like solid, gas and fluid dynamics. At the risk of being current I shall use some examples to explain...."

    Professor Dark approached the trio of massive whiteboards and sketched out over the course of an hour: Galileo's principle of inertia using Spiderman's web-swinging, Newton's second and third laws of motion using an atmospheric fight between Superman and - what he was forced to describe as - "...some other comic book character who can fly, like the evil Superman from... was it the third film?" and fit this neatly into the framework of the development of applied mechanics.

    "Next week we shall deal with these principles and their application in structural engineering - stresses! - and following that we shall look at their application in mechanical engineering, focussing on aircraft and the construction of massive robots to take over the city -" laughter from those assembled "- unless that's already happened, in which case class will be cancelled".

    "We're out of time, but you all have tutorials this week, for which I expect you to have read chapters one to three and provided your answer, with working, for this problem -" he holds up a sheet of paper from a stack of photocopies on a desk by the door. "If you have any questions that can't wait until your tutorial, please come and see me in my office. My door is not always open, but you will find that by applying force, you will obtain motion".

    A groan came from around the room - which was the reaction he was looking for. It didn't do to look too slick. He was only 10 years older than most of these students and he had to do something to cultivate the feel of fatherliness. Bad jokes were just what he needed.

    On perfect time the bell rang.

  11. - Top - End - #281
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Tar Palantir's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    The Reaper nodded, registering Joe's name within his mind, then said, "I thank you for the offer, but I do not need to hide. I need to find someone, someone who killed a young girl. Apparently she was mutilated, and I have been accussed. I, of course, know that it wasn't me, but either way this animal must be brought to justice. I have reason to suspect this Dr. Fritz, who I have been accussed of kidnapping, and who inexplicably allowed me to escape. I do not trust him, and he had the eyes of a killer. Find either of those people, and you will have easily repaided the debt you owe me for saving you. I cannot search during the day, and so I ask your help. I wish to clear my name and prove that I am not the animal I was before."
    Thanks to Thormag for my Legion avatar.

    Current Characters:

    Lily Nightingale, a.k.a. Sparrow, in V for Victory (OoC)

  12. - Top - End - #282
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2007

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Murky

    After 30 or 40 seconds of howling dogs and crowbar smashing, the 3 dogs were all lying on the ground, in various stages of injuries. Murky wasn't sure why the dogs weren't able to hurt him, but he was grateful. The animals in Rainport were totally crazy. Maybe the blast had affected them as well. 'Oh dang it! That was Cone's dog.. I can't go into the Texas Cradle now, he'll kill me!'
    People who had heard the commotion were starting to appear in windows and doors along the street - it was time to leave.

    Picking up the fateful blanket and covering the dogs, Murky climbed back in the car. As he drove off, he rolled down the window as he passed one large looking fellow 'Call a doctor! Those dogs are going to need attention!'

    He hoped nothing else would go wrong, and he hoped he couldn't get in trouble if any of the dogs died. He'd have to go somewhere else for now, and be more careful of random dogs; they probably all had rabies or something.

    Murky decided to go to Ronnie's. He didn't go there often, as Ronnie didn't encourage card playing, but it was a good place to find people. Maybe someone would know a better way to fend off animals than with a crowbar.

  13. - Top - End - #283
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Arkham Asylum!

    Default Re: A New Chance

    "I will help you find this girl... but first I have to interrogate this thug." He turned to the thug in question, who waas looking at him with pleading eyes. "Now, I'm going to pull this gag off. I'm still holding both of my swords and my shotgun, and you know I can use them. When I pull off the gag, if you scream, you will get your throat cut out. So tell me who you're working for." He walked over and pulled off the gag...

    ROLLS: Intimidate check for 15.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormthorn View Post
    The closest thing to humor in my previous RP experiance was a time when my bard was accused of rape. So...im new to that aspect.
    Spoiler
    Show

  14. - Top - End - #284
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    The_Lonely_d12's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Davan

    Waking up later than usual for him, Davan quickly showers and changes. Grabbing the newspaper from the mailbox downstairs, he returns to his apartment to eat breakfast, and only then notices the headlines of the newspaper.

    "Wow...all this happened last night? I didn't see anything like this...How the hell am I supposed to find these people, I can only do so much by myself.

    Exasperated, he sits down and reads through the article..

    So the reaper broke out, and at least two other crazies are running around, maybe three or four. Sounds like I got my work cut out for me, trying to find them. It'll be worth it if I can find the Reaper or this "p" guy. Win or lose, it could be fun.

    He sets down the paper and finishes breakfast-a bowl of cereal, an apple, and a large cup of coffee.

    Y'know, maybe I should try staying above the street level today. I'll have a better view of whats going on. I wish there was a definite way of finding these others, though. But hey, maybe I'll be lucky enough to find a group of jewelry thieves or something. Regardless, if that's what I'm doing, I'd better cover my face some. I should really come up with a name or something.

    Donning his hood and mask along with other sundry equipment, Davan exits his apartment, and jumps to the roof, taking a look around before setting off through the city, making sure to keep from taking too great of a jump.
    -Remember, kids...Beeblebrox's Gambit is never a good idea. Never send a fifth drink down to see what the other four are doing in your stomach.
    -Bunnies Can't Phone. But, THEY CAN FLY

    Avatar by Ceika!!!

  15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Wiz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    LA

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Pulse

    Quote Originally Posted by evisiron View Post
    "Nor the craving for human blood. Personally, I am quite thankful for that. Anyway, my name is Nosferatu. You also seem to have an interesting theme"

    Nosferatu seems to look over Pulse as he slowly flies around in a wide circle.

    "This may be a redundant question due to the fact you are flying about in broad daylight, but what are your motives for being out here? To make my intent clear, are you patrolling to keep the streets and civilians safe, or looking to attack someone with similar powers and/ or the general populous? Speaking of which, what are your powers?"
    Pulse nods, "You got it in one... patrol, looking for misuse of powers mostly. The police can handle the normal criminals... unfortunately there's few to handle the abnormal ones except other mutates, like us." Pulse looks over the gliding non-vampire, and smiles, "Well, you tell me yours and I'll tell you mine, but for one part I'll state the obvious, I'm a lot smarter than I used to be, and I've cobbled together some special equipment using those smarts."
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

  16. - Top - End - #286
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    evisiron's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    In the Playground

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiz View Post
    Pulse

    Pulse nods, "You got it in one... patrol, looking for misuse of powers mostly. The police can handle the normal criminals... unfortunately there's few to handle the abnormal ones except other mutates, like us." Pulse looks over the gliding non-vampire, and smiles, "Well, you tell me yours and I'll tell you mine, but for one part I'll state the obvious, I'm a lot smarter than I used to be, and I've cobbled together some special equipment using those smarts."
    Nosferatu

    Nosferatu smiles broadly.

    "Great. I thought it would be better to ask than chit chat for a while before finding you are a murdering psychopath looking for a way to make a name for yourself. But yeah, I am also patrolling. The police mentioned it would be helpful to keep an look out for other supers turning bad, and I think by keeping a sharp eye I may be able to stop any aspiring 'Reapers' before they hurt someone. I have to admit, I am glad to see I am not the only one on patrol"


    Nosferatu ponders for a second on the mention of his powers. There is something that is not being mentioned... Then again, everyone is entitled to their secrets. And is wise to keep them.

    "As my powers, generic vampire stuff. Stronger, more resilient, faster healing, better senses. And as you may have guessed, flight. So, as opposed to me calling you a 'fellow hero', do you have a name?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Behold Nosferatu, the Plant Vampire:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Kpenguin!

    Thanks Serpentine!


    Referring to Pop Yule Ashun:
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberRebirth View Post
    evisiron, that is the most awesome character idea I have ever heard of. I'm going to subscribe to this thread and look forward to updates.

  17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Wiz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    LA

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Quote Originally Posted by evisiron View Post
    "As my powers, generic vampire stuff. Stronger, more resilient, faster healing, better senses. And as you may have guessed, flight. So, as opposed to me calling you a 'fellow hero', do you have a name?"
    Pulse chuckles, "I guess higher intelligence doesn't guarantee better manners, my apologies, and I'm called Pulse. My ace in the hole, I suppose, and part of the reason for my increased intelligence is my brain interacts with local electromagnetic fields, so I have a sort of magnetic-pulse radar sense. And it gives me very good aim with these, as well." He taps one of his pistol butts. "Reaper's loose again, if you hadn't heard, so watch the shadows, he's damned hard to hit if there are any shadows for him to hide in... and when I say hide in, I mean he literally can become part of them. He got away from me the first time by doing that..."
    Last edited by Wiz; 2007-11-17 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Epimetheus...
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

  18. - Top - End - #288
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    evisiron's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    In the Playground

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiz View Post
    Pulse chuckles, "I guess higher intelligence doesn't guarantee better manners, my apologies, and I'm called Pulse. My ace in the hole, I suppose, and part of the reason for my increased intelligence is my brain interacts with local electromagnetic fields, so I have a sort of magnetic-pulse radar sense. And it gives me very good aim with these, as well." He taps one of his pistol butts. "Reaper's loose again, if you hadn't heard, so watch the shadows, he's damned hard to hit if there are any shadows for him to hide in... and when I say hide in, I mean he literally can become part of them. He got away from me the first time by doing that..."
    Nosferatu

    "Ah, magnetics. Thats pretty cool. Just don't declare yourself the head of the House of M and try to overthrow humanity, okay? Are those guns though? I ...wouldnt use guns myself... but I guess its better than nothing when a super goes crazy. Speaking of which, you say the Reaper got free? And becomes part of the shadows. Great. Why can't the bad ones have the common decency of being 40ft high and neon yellow?
    So, any plans on how to catch this guy? By the sounds of it, you may be smart enough to build some kind of multi spectrum scanner to spot his infa red signature or something."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Behold Nosferatu, the Plant Vampire:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Kpenguin!

    Thanks Serpentine!


    Referring to Pop Yule Ashun:
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberRebirth View Post
    evisiron, that is the most awesome character idea I have ever heard of. I'm going to subscribe to this thread and look forward to updates.

  19. - Top - End - #289
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Sorry I'm late on this.

    Legion

    "I couldn't accept such a gift, and no, there's only the 3 of us." Your clone passes "inspection" and the guards nod at your return.

    Alex

    {My creativity is kind of reached a limit, so I'm going to take a break on bumping your individual story for now. Feel free to do whatever in the mean time}

    Joe/Reaper

    Yep, that shot knocks the guy out.

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ <- passage of time
    *banter*
    The thug you gagged and bound is clearly scared out of his mind in his current situation, and the news report about how dangerous Reaper is sure isn't helping matters. He nods very slowly when Joe tells him to be quiet. When the gag is removed, he coughs a little before saying in a choked voice "Man I ain't sure what you guys think we was doing down there, we just thought you had money is all, and we wanted to take it from you man. You best be letting me go man, or my Suit brothers are going to be all up in this place man."

    Murky

    {the forum rollers don't work if you preview your posts, but I got a feeling that you are quite able to beat the tar out of random mutts}
    After you tussle with man's best friend, you head down to Ronnie's. There's 7 people total in the bar. Two of them are at the bar, but at opposite ends. There's 2 guys at a table talking, and 2 more tables are taken up by 1 person at each of them. Ronnie himself is number 7.

    Paragon

    {Why didn't I have more teachers like you?}

    Davan

    You jump from rooftop to rooftop, nothing really grabs your interest until you hear a siren. As you look over the rooftops down at the ground, you see a fire truck go by with all of its lights on. You follow its path with your eyes and see a some smoke rising from a building roughly 8 stories high about 15 blocks away.

  20. - Top - End - #290
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Tar Palantir's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    The Reaper moves beside Joe, flexing his claws. He says, "I highly doubt your 'Suit brothers' could handle me. Now, you will answer anything we ask you, or they'll be cleaning your remains off the street...in three different states."

    Spoiler
    Show

    Intimidate - (1d20+10)[13]
    Thanks to Thormag for my Legion avatar.

    Current Characters:

    Lily Nightingale, a.k.a. Sparrow, in V for Victory (OoC)

  21. - Top - End - #291
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PlasticSoldier's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Right below TPAM
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    "Well then unless you have money kept anywhere but the Registers and Deposit Boxes that you want to tell me about we're just going to sit here for a few minutes.". Meanwhile #1 walks along the back of the wall measuring its length in steps, before pausing to think over his minimal knowledge of the bank's interior, and spraypainting a mark at a spot 10 feet to the right of the halfway point. He thens takes out the drill bores through the spot and verifying that the room was indeed an empty office room. He then takes out the rifle and now emptied duffelbag, cuts a 1.5ft radius semicircle centered around the spot pushes the cut out wall into the room throws the rifle, duffelbag inside and then pushes the drill inside as well. Guard Clone in a much less exciting duty tries to start up small talk with the guards on any subject not Super related and patiently observes them for any sign that they are aware of the drilling.

    Edit: Guard Clone delays his actions until he knows the guards reactions if any to the drilling.

  22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Wiz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    LA

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Pulse

    Quote Originally Posted by evisiron View Post
    "Ah, magnetics. Thats pretty cool. Just don't declare yourself the head of the House of M and try to overthrow humanity, okay? Are those guns though? I ...wouldnt use guns myself... but I guess its better than nothing when a super goes crazy. Speaking of which, you say the Reaper got free? And becomes part of the shadows. Great. Why can't the bad ones have the common decency of being 40ft high and neon yellow? So, any plans on how to catch this guy? By the sounds of it, you may be smart enough to build some kind of multi spectrum scanner to spot his infa red signature or something."
    Pulse shrugs, "No specific plan. He is not the kind to lay low forever, though, and if I see him again I have a thing or two to try against him."
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

  23. - Top - End - #293
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Arkham Asylum!

    Default Re: A New Chance

    "Well then! Feisty, aren't we? Who exactly are these... 'suit brothers'... and who leads them?" He drew one of the swords, annoyed at himself for not cleaning it earlier. Oh well. "Answer me, punk."
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormthorn View Post
    The closest thing to humor in my previous RP experiance was a time when my bard was accused of rape. So...im new to that aspect.
    Spoiler
    Show

  24. - Top - End - #294
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    evisiron's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    In the Playground

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiz View Post
    Pulse



    Pulse shrugs, "No specific plan. He is not the kind to lay low forever, though, and if I see him again I have a thing or two to try against him."

    Nosferatu


    "Indeed. By any chance are you willing to share any such equipment? I heard on the TV that people should carry torches about, but that hardly seems likely to help considering the force that was needed at the mayor attack. Any fancy gadgets you could lend would be highly appreciated."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Behold Nosferatu, the Plant Vampire:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Kpenguin!

    Thanks Serpentine!


    Referring to Pop Yule Ashun:
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberRebirth View Post
    evisiron, that is the most awesome character idea I have ever heard of. I'm going to subscribe to this thread and look forward to updates.

  25. - Top - End - #295
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Wiz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    LA

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Quote Originally Posted by evisiron View Post
    "Indeed. By any chance are you willing to share any such equipment? I heard on the TV that people should carry torches about, but that hardly seems likely to help considering the force that was needed at the mayor attack. Any fancy gadgets you could lend would be highly appreciated."
    Pulse chuckles, "Sorry again, my high-tech solution to Mr. Shadow is road flares. I haven't had time to come up with anything more elegant yet. He is, after all, only one potential villain we may see. In time I may be able to come up with more specific, and more spectacular devices." He pauses, circling Nosferatu again. "Probably best if I move on... I was planning on heading that way, if you'd like to come along and talk more." He points toward city center.
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

  26. - Top - End - #296
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    The_Lonely_d12's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Davan

    Oh, hell. There goes the morning. I can't just go on by without seeing what could do...I've got no reason to let it alone...this might be a different sort of challenge, wouldn't it? Besides, I don't really wish harm on anyone that might be in that building. A bit more dangerous than your average fight...better head over quickly. No time to waste.

    Davan rushes across the rooftops towards the site of the fire, and jumps down close to the nearest fire engine. Sprinting over to the nearest fireman, he quickly says

    "Whats the situation here? I may be able to help...I'm one of those people affected by the chemical blast. Is there anyone still inside?

    Ooc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Waiting to post what I'm going to do till I know the situation, otherwise I'd try and have something ready here. Also, a couple questions. 1, is there a building adjacent to the one on fire, and 2, in the description for Amazing Leap, it says that "for every level of this power you add a +10 super bonus to all jump checks and ignore 50 feet worth of falling damage if and when you take a fall. Does that mean 50 feet for each level? I'm not sure with how it's worded
    Last edited by The_Lonely_d12; 2007-11-18 at 02:18 AM.
    -Remember, kids...Beeblebrox's Gambit is never a good idea. Never send a fifth drink down to see what the other four are doing in your stomach.
    -Bunnies Can't Phone. But, THEY CAN FLY

    Avatar by Ceika!!!

  27. - Top - End - #297
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    dfpiii's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    (Geez3r - it's the difference between just being a teacher, and having a +15 modifier in the profession )

    Professor Lachlan Dark aka Paragon

    Professor Dark returned to his office, as he had no more lectures this morning - and as it was the start of the semester there were no tutorials until after the first lecture. He had been originally sceptical about a department head taking an introductory class which could so easily have been handled by any other member of the faculty - or indeed many of the more advanced students. Having experienced it, he now understood why his predecessor had arranged it.

    If you could get a room full of 18 year olds to feel excited about anything first thing on a Monday morning then essentially you had walked on water. It needed concentration, skill and, perhaps most importantly, discipline. It was an exercise as much about marshalling your own abilities.

    Professor Dark closed the door of his office and surveyed the scene. The late Professor Mulroy had been a remarkable genius, but could have benefited enormously from a one day course in clerical skills. The papers, which were piled all around the room, seemed to be in no particularly logical order. One block, which was in front of his desk, had a cushion on top of it and was being used as an impromptu chair.

    Professor Mulroy had not retained a departmental secretary either. Somewhere in this room and on that computer were files that explained every function and every budgeted penny of this department and from Professor Dark's perspective it might have been easier to set fire to the room and start again. Mulroy's whole life had been individualised order - which was now indistinguishable from chaos.

    He turned his attention to the thermostat on the wall. He put on his outdoor gloves, took out his pocket screwdriver and removed the housing. He switched the wires around inside so that it would put out maximum heat regardless of what you did with the controls. Carefully re-securing the housing he gave it a brief dusting to make it look like it had been cleaned rather than tampered with.

    He dialled building maintenance from the phone hidden on his desk. "Hello, the thermostat in my office is broken - I need to have someone come and have a look at it.... I'm in room 107 of the Fermi building". He put the phone down and sat at his desk, which, along with rest of his furniture and the mountains of paper, were actually in room 207 of the Fermi building. Now if anyone asked he could say, with perfect honesty, that he had reported the fault and maintenance had said they would send someone to look at it.

    As the heat kicked in and his office began to warm up, he took off his jacket and gloves and began to sort through the papers.

    ((If any PCs do want to contact him on Monday morning, they'll find him in his office shuffling through papers))

    Triage was the order of the day. It was impossible to read everything in full, so he sorted according to type and urgency. Financial reports, class outlines, current work at various stages, personal correspondence and miscellaneous were what he ended up with. The miscellaneous pile was twice as large as any of the others; it included doctoral theses and dissertations, research proposals and a surprising amount of viciously worded internal memoranda about the second floor toilets.

    "Institutional politics," he muttered.

    The office now looked even less ordered than it had before. The untidy stacks had become untidy piles that sprawled over the whole carpet - but at least now the individualised order was his.

    This was a task to which he was perfectly suited. Lachlan Dark had always had an unflinching resolve and determination - and ruthlessly cutting away rubbish came as naturally as breathing. Within about two hours he reduced the piles of uncounted thousands of items down to less than 300. Half of the miscellaneous pile had boiled down to a short note: fix second floor toilets - urgent.

    Mulroy's own work was interesting, but typically scattered, some almost finished, much of it little more than notes. There were three articles almost ready for publication - and certainly worthy; even the superhuman intellect of Professor Dark found no fault with them. Professor Dark applied the finishing touches to the electronic versions and emailed the three of them away together to an appropriate journal with a brief note explaining the circumstances of Professor Mulroy's death before he could put them forward for peer review.

    There were a further half a dozen articles which he felt he could complete and publish honestly as Mulroy and Dark, but he'd need to leave that for a few weeks or his industry would attract suspicion. The remaining ten pieces were clearly ideas, first drafts with little or no science behind them. These might have merit, but if they ever saw the light of day it would be under Professor Dark's name alone.

    It was one o'clock and following a most satisfactory morning he headed out to have lunch. He still needed to buy new clothes that actually fit him, so somewhere in the city seemed best. He hailed a cab and headed into the city.

  28. - Top - End - #298
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    evisiron's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    In the Playground

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiz View Post
    Pulse chuckles, "Sorry again, my high-tech solution to Mr. Shadow is road flares. I haven't had time to come up with anything more elegant yet. He is, after all, only one potential villain we may see. In time I may be able to come up with more specific, and more spectacular devices." He pauses, circling Nosferatu again. "Probably best if I move on... I was planning on heading that way, if you'd like to come along and talk more." He points toward city center.
    Nosferatu

    Nosferatu chuckles lightly at the mention of road flares, realising such a simple idea did not even register in his mind.

    "I can't complain when presented with simple solutions to complex problems. By any chance do you have one spare?"

    Nosferatu checks his watch before replying to the second comment.

    "I do have a little bit of time to spare before I am needed elsewhere. I will fly along for a while. By the way, it sounds as if you have already been tested in combat. I have not, and would rather try these abilities against a sparing partner than wait until my life relies uopn them working. Time allowing, would you be willing to take part in a practise fight in somewhere less crowded? Non lethal of course, and we would only fight to a few successful blows."

    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Nosferatu fully intends to reach the class Dynamics 101, and hopefully will unless something disastrous occurs. After the conversation with Pulse, Nos will fly back to the university and attend the lecture. I will then pick up from just after that lecture ends. Oh, and I will be using Detect Powers to see if there are any other supers in the lecture hall...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Behold Nosferatu, the Plant Vampire:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Kpenguin!

    Thanks Serpentine!


    Referring to Pop Yule Ashun:
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberRebirth View Post
    evisiron, that is the most awesome character idea I have ever heard of. I'm going to subscribe to this thread and look forward to updates.

  29. - Top - End - #299
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Glawackus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Andrew/Vox Populi

    Andrew heads for City Hall, calling ahead to the secretaries to see what the news of the day is. He listens on the radio and grips the steering wheel tightly at the mention that the Reaper has escaped, then quickly snaps off the description of the carnage as someone picks up at City Hall.
    The Tenth Doctor and the TARDIS by Ceika.

  30. - Top - End - #300
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Wiz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    LA

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Quote Originally Posted by evisiron View Post
    "I do have a little bit of time to spare before I am needed elsewhere. I will fly along for a while. By the way, it sounds as if you have already been tested in combat. I have not, and would rather try these abilities against a sparing partner than wait until my life relies uopn them working. Time allowing, would you be willing to take part in a practise fight in somewhere less crowded? Non lethal of course, and we would only fight to a few successful blows."
    Pulse nods, "Another morning might be better. And I'll have a spare flare for you then as well, say tomorrow, same time... perhaps the northside park area?"
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •