New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast

Thread: A New Chance

1. - Top - End - #391
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: A New Chance

(Curses, no fool trying to jump me? )

Alex

Recent events have weighed heavily on his mind. Things were set into motion, but the problem is now that he has no way to access Balchem's archives, as it is almost certain they've been locked down by government agencies...and government computers are very tough nuts to crack. There had to be another way to get the information he needed.

Now seemed like as good a time as any to check in with the word on the street. He silently dialed Judy's voicemail and left the following message:

It's Alex. If you've found anything, meet me at the main library by 4pm. I will be waiting eagerly and you will be compensated for your time and effort.

With that out of the way, he continued to walk, his mind racing....

She always was good at sticking her nose places where others didn't want it. I know she'll come through for me. Even if it takes more time, Rome wasn't built in a day.

But I must strike soon. Vulnerabilities are closing by the second. Go rip someone's throat out! Kill! Kill! Slaughter the lot of them for all the people they have killed!

No, that is not my way. Every day is a new opportunity and every moment provides valuable insight. Rushing into something like this will earn me a public brand as a creature to be hated. That CANNOT happen under any circumstances. I need the public's trust, support, and love to win this game. Let the shortsighted have their day in the sun; planning, patience, and perseverance will win the day.

Awww, come on! Lemme throttle one of them! Just a little one; no one will find out. We can make it look like a hanging!

Alex shook his head. Murder was not something he had ever wanted to do before. It would take time, meditation, and other factors just to sort this new wild card out. All he could do is keep the new...thing...at bay.
    There are those in this world who cannot abide women and detest their company; I do not number among them. Women are the charming sex, wonderfully unreasonable and meant to be adored.

I met him in a swamp down in Dagobah
    Where it bubbles all the time like a giant carbonated soda.
    S-o-d-a, Soda

2. - Top - End - #392
    Troll in the Playground

Pulse

After his nausea passes (it probably hit him twice as hard, but only for half as long as most people), Pulse looks up and watches the firemen rushing into the building. "I think I can leave now, the real heroes are on the job and it looks like they've got everything well covered." He nods to the fire chief and gets on his glider again, switching on the fake engine and lifting slowly off, spiraling upward and heading away from the building. "I hope the information I gave them helped, and I hope that none of the mutates gets in the fire department's way." He chuckles to himself, "Well, at least a lot showed up who seem interested in helping, rather than harming others. I wonder how many will hang around now, looking for recognition..." He flies away, but still feels a bit woozy in the pit of his stomach. "I think I'd better get home and get some food and rest, geez, is it only a little past noon?"
    Last edited by Wiz; 2007-11-30 at 11:17 PM.
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

Judith

Waking up is almost unreal for Judith. Wakefulness comes slowly, in stages, and finally, she gets up, swinging her legs off the couch groggily to go begin making toast for two while she enjoys the sensation of simultanously remaining in bed with her eyes closed. As her head clears, though, she realizes something is wrong. She opens her eyes.

And sees herself, lying next to her—feels someone roll over next to her—damnit! Again!? She opens her eyes yet again, and yes, there she was, looking at herself—looking at herself look at herself—

She rolls out of bed to stop having to do that; in the 'kitchen', the sheer oddness of it has nearly made her drop a plate.

Breakfast that morning is an odd affair, with the table and the kitchen being used in shifts. She's slept in, but she won't be too late for work. I can say it's been a stressful couple days, and I won't be stretching the truth at all. The first of her to get up—first part of her?—is also the first to leave, heading for her job as a cashier. It's a relief; two of her in the same flat she'd gotten accustomed to, but three felt crowded, as well as more than a bit weird. Since as it turns out, she didn't make quite enough for herself, she toasts another pair of slices while she gets up. I am, she thinks dryly, Domestic Girl. Capable of making the bed and cooking breakfast at the same time! Whatever else this is doing, I'm getting better at multitasking.

She goes out again, this time for something more exciting (Hah!): the Rainport City Library, to find out more about Balchem's competition. She's not expecting to find information of the sort she really needs, of course, but knowing more about the other corporations—where they were centered, what they specialized in—would help her know where to look next. If she were really lucky, she thinks wryly, the newspaper archives might even have a mention of the thefts, but she doubts it. Alex is probably a better source for that sort of thing.

And at home, she finds herself with nothing much to do. That's all right with her, as she has quite enough on her plate anyway; she settles in. She didn't get calls about missing property very often, since there weren't all that many people nearby who could afford to hire anyone and people who didn't live nearby could rely on the police, but with the new events, she has a feeling crime will either rise sharply... or start falling.

Alex's call, of course, comes in the twenty minutes she took to go grocery shopping. With a mutter about Murphy's Law, Judith decides to wait until 4; better to discuss this in person than over the phone.

Spoiler
    Show
    So... I suppose the skill needed for this would be Research? Judith is looking for library information on Jene Co., Lerricks, and Wellside Chemicals. Specifically, she'll browse business encyclopaedias, search for relevant magazine articles from scientific and business magazines, and search through the newspaper archives to see if any of those corporations has been mentioned in the news in the past few years. Research: (1d20+5)[16]

Other: wait for Alex/other callers, have normal life.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #394
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

((Yeah, I know they don't, but it'd be wierd if he didn't ask. "Hey, let's completely ignore the news of the milennium." Also, is she allowed to be useful?))

"Good, because I wasn't either," said Joe, fibbing uncontrollably.
    "Yes you were, don't try to lie to me!"
    "Crap. Well, what do you think about it?"
    "It depends. Are you purple and furry? My aunt Celia is..."
    "No, I'm mostly the same. But, I did team up with a horrible serial killer and kidnap a gang member as he killed two others in order to sneak into organized crime and take down the child-killer Margeret Fritz, and I'm currently in contact with someone who claims to be a witch who's going to hopefully transform me into Taikwon Dog." Best to get all the bad stuff out of the way at once.
    "You WHAT?!" Joe breifly explained the days' events to her, leaving out the part with the shotgun and illegal gun trafficking.
    "...and that's what happened," he finished an hour later.
    "Wow, that's a long story. I have to go, because my phone's running out of batteries, but I'll call you later, okay? Maybe we can go to dinner or something tommorrow."
    "Sorry, I'm booked tommorrow. That's when I'm busting up D-Train's place."
    "Oh, right. Well, we should hang out sometime this week. See ya!" She hung up, so Joe hung up. As he realized he once again had nothing to do, he decided to head over to the fire and try to find Reaper.

As he leaped the scene of the crime, Joe whistled loudly. He had seen bigger fires, but there were quite a few people there... before he went in, he noticed an all-too-familiar bulge suddenly leaping in and out of shadows. "There he is!" Joe gave chase, losing Reaper halfway to the safe house. He entered the building like a normal person and went up to knock on Reaper's door. "Man, he was thorough with the no-light thing. He even got the peephole!" *knock knock knock.*
    Last edited by Xerxes Shadow; 2007-12-01 at 12:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormthorn View Post
    The closest thing to humor in my previous RP experiance was a time when my bard was accused of rape. So...im new to that aspect.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #395
    Orc in the Playground

Guard Clone finishing up with the last part of the plan besides the actual theft and (obviously) escaping walks down the hallway shows the beer to Orig., after getting a nod from me he sets the beer down in the hallway, goes into the office that was drilled through, turns off the lights, crawls out the hole, and then gets the sledgehammer and spraypaint from the back of the truck. He then goes into the bathroom turns on the sink faucets, and using the sledgehammer tries to beat the faucet spout so that it's water goes directly onto the ground and therefore, no water is wasted down the drain, he then smashes the stalldoor for the one he hid in earlier. Once this is done he walks out to the hallway sets down the hammer and begins writing the message on the hallway walls.

Message for bank:
    Ha.

Message for customers with sentimental property stolen:
    Oops, we tried to skip obviously sentimental stuff but if you have something
    sentimental get it added to the police report and we'll get our hands on it
    within a few weeks. Abusers of the system will be shot. Repeatedly.

Message for Cleanup Crew:
    Sorry, for the mess.

Messages unrelated to the robbery:
    Carbon-Arc lights are really bright and can also blind attackers. They can be made from household materials, I think there was a How-To article on this in Popular Mechanics back around 2004-08.
    Because of the nature of and firepower involved in Superpower fights we the Villain and Hero communities should draft some
    Rules Of Engagement if any heroes want to negotiate with us simply announce a time and location on TV or something and we'll try to be there.
    Also it would be helpful if there was a truly anonymous way for us to negotiate without fighting off the cops every time someone considers a Heel-Face turn.
    Also if anyone makes a TV / movie about mutants you will die a horrible death if you intentionally warp the theme so you don't have to pay us royalties. This is not included because I want TV producers to give me money it's included because being a bastard is the least excusable thing I can think of.

Signed,

Legion

( Note: I'm including the "message for" stuff)

Orig. takes the 10,000$ from the box and puts it in the hallway along with the cash register money in the same spot as the sledge hammer. Then he goes back to the Deposit Room drags a guard into the security room and tells them to turn off the silent alarms at the teller places. Then he'll go back to ferrying loot up to the pile.

Drill Clone continues drilling through more boxes and then has Orig. take up what he finds, like Guard wrote in the message Drill Clone & Orig will leave behind obviously sentimental stuff.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Halfling in the Playground

“The Man”

He graciously bowed, and thanked the tailor “You are far too kind. Your help will not be forgotten. I have the utmost respect for your skills, and will steer any business your direction. Again I thank you. Now if you will excuse me, I have business to attend to.” He twirled about and gracefully glided towards the exit, and re-entered his limo. Yeesh! He didn't think that even guys would start hitting on him. Ah well, that's the price one pays for being such a drop-dead sexy hunk of meat.

“Hand me the list will you Angie, and dial up the number of the first investor on the list.”
    “Got it. First person on the list is a Mr. Alex Catham.”
    He picked up his cell phone as it rang. “Hello? This is “The Man”. You may remember me from the talk that I gave at the Press Conference yesterday. Yes, well I was wondering if Mr. Catham is in. He’s out for the day? Well let him know that I called about a potential investment. Yes I’d like to make an appointment. Sounds great. I’ll be there.”

“Well who’s next. Mr. Clark Smithson?” Dialing up the office number he again started talking to another secretary. After six names, none of which were in, finally there was a potential backer that was in the office at the time, and that “The Man” was welcome to come over. He quickly told Angie to start up the limo and head on over to the business sector. Apparently this Ms. Yamashima was a successful investor that had a reputation for investing locally, though Angie didn't specify whether this also applied to small startup businesses.

He pondered on what he planned to say. Most likely these investors would not be mutants so appealing to that would not likely work too horribly well, though from the size of the quarantine area if they were locals it was entirely possible that one of their friends or family would be. He would have to gauge their reaction to the entire mutant situation and adjust his approach depending on each investor’s reaction. However even if an appeal to help mutants didn’t work, as these potential investors seemed to be successful businessmen they might be persuaded by long term financial gains. As he further pondered on what to say, Angie parked the limo in front of a large office building.
    “This is it boss.”

Summary: Sets up appointment to meet with Alex, along with six of the investors on the list. Then arrives at offices of Ms. Yamashima.
    Last edited by blennus; 2007-12-01 at 02:18 AM.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Barbarian in the Playground

Gust

As Gust walks through the building, quietly enjoying the rather cinematic effect of flames dying down in his wake, he'd been tuning out the myriad voices and sounds of people outside: police cars, excited chattering of pedestrians, car horns a block away, the scritch of the police chief taking notes by his car, the cell phone in the next building with the La Cucaracha ring tone, and so forth, all in the same way you tune out the sensation of your shoes against your feet. As he paused at the end of a hallway to rest a moment and survey his work, however, something was wrong, and he froze for a moment, trying to figure out what it was. Then he heard it again - a dull bump and a thud from overheard, and not the thunk of something falling to the floor or the now-familiar sounds of of heroes breaking windows, but that specific thwap of something (or someone) being thrown to the floor. Either someone's having to break through a door, or there's fighting upstairs, Gust thought, and in either case, I should be there.

Opening and exiting the window at the end of the hallway, he saw the man with the jet pack mutter his goodbyes to the police and fly shakily off over a building. Ah, that voice - I just heard him saying something about poison, and possibly dead victims on the top floor. I guess he must have gotten a whiff of the poison; looks like it's less dangerous than nauseating, and it must be gaseous for him to have gotten affected so easily. Good, then it won't be a problem for me. (Huh...for an engine that can lift someone up like that, it certainly isn't putting out much exhaust).

Right, the building. Better check out that noise. Without actually turning, Gust soars upwards into a large, lazy flip with a half-twist that brings him facing the right direction. He finds the area nearest where he heard the sound, and either takes the nearest entrance or breaks through another window (I should find a less destructive way of doing this...). Just before he enters, he hears someone shout "Up here! Quickly!", but sees no one when he gets into the room.

((Assuming he finds the room, and before anyone else does))
    Gust surveys the room in a glance - the gasoline smell, the writing on the walls, and of course, the note in the curtains and the unconscious old man wrapped in a curtain on the floor. Someone thought he needed to be restrained. Huh, a note from the Reaper - I'd be quite the hero if this fire turned out to be his fault. But his note seems true enough ((is it even possible to Sense Motive on a note??)) - this crime is not his style. There would be many dead, including this man, and probably a boastful note, if his attack on the mayor is typical. No, it makes much more sense that he is right, and this man is a much more likely subject.

Tucking the note into his robe, Gust carefully picks up the old man and flies down to the street, slightly annoyed that the added weight makes flying harder. He finds the police officer he heard earlier writing on his notepad, and sets the man down in front of him, speaking in clipped, slightly diffident sentences. "I found this man tied up like this in a room with writing on the walls and smelling of gasoline. It seems likely that he started the fire. Someone else subdued him before I got there. From the note he left, it seems to have been the Reaper, who claims to be doing good. I believe him, as this is not like the Reaper's other crimes."

Without waiting for an answer, he hands over the note and soars straight up. Unless something to prevent it has happened in the meantime, he'll fly up to the 8th floor, and without entering, get all of the gas outside (straight up and dispersed, if possible), while replacing it with fresh air from outside. After that, he'll enter the room carefully, looking first and making sure he's surrounded by fresher air from outside. He looks around the room, seeing what is to be seen.

((I covered a lot of ground, so I can change any of this if events have changed to make it impossible))
    Last edited by harmonictempest; 2007-12-01 at 06:44 PM.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Dwarf in the Playground

Davan

Davan searches around one last bit for any other trapped people, finding none not already being saved by one of the firemen or one of the several other supers.

My, that was...not quite unfulfilling, but I can't say it was entirely enjoyable. At the least, I do know now about how well I can jump...or fall for that matter.

Jumping down to the street, he grins to himself as he picks up the equipment he left behind, and walks over to the fireman he talked to.

It was a bit of a rush, I have to admit...jumping down from the seventh story. I think I could even go further without hurting myself, if I'm careful about it. There's a definite limit to how far I can go up though, that's for sure. I'm glad there was plenty of things to rebound off of. All in all, it was nice to get some sort of real use for all this, though it's not quite what I had in mind. Ah well, a little impromptu training never hurt anyone...

Taking off the firecoat and handing it back, he says
    "Here's the coat you lent me back,...thanks again."

Realizing he didn't really have anything else to say, he waves and turns away, walking away.

My, that was awkward. Heh. Hmm...I wonder if any of these guys have time to stop and chat...I'd kinda like to get some perspective on the others...see what they can do.

He sees, among several other supers, an interesting character looking suspiciously like a star from a vampire movie setting down from flight.

...interesting. Well, to each their own, eh?

Calling out to the vampire lookalike, Davan says

"Oi! You there...that's a nice ability there...flying, that is. Nice choice on the costume, though the vampire in the daylight thing is somehow less believable than the 'flying thing.'

And an awkward situation becomes more so one. Impressive.

"Anyways, I haven't met any other of us 'super' people before...well...just now. Got a couple minutes or so to spare?"

OoC:So, yeah...just trying at the moment to actually meet one of the other characters. I'll re-write this if I have to, if Nosferatu would rather leave immediately or something like that.
    -Remember, kids...Beeblebrox's Gambit is never a good idea. Never send a fifth drink down to see what the other four are doing in your stomach.
    -Bunnies Can't Phone. But, THEY CAN FLY

9. - Top - End - #399
    Dwarf in the Playground

Professor Dark aka Paragon

Professor Dark stops randomly snapping the heroes. In the length of three breaths his whole body language and posture changes, and something is sloughed away; in the spider-like bursting of something large from a smaller skin.

Professor Lachlan Dark looks directly at the alley skulker and a smile creeps across his face. Dark moves without direct equivalent in the animal kingdom; with languid confidence overlaying physical power. He crosses the alley in a few strides and is now within an arm's length.

Of all those things which his mind can encompass, none is fear. As Paragon, Dark may wear impressive armour, but it is the man who is bulletproof; who wears the mantle of his power like the raiment of a king. And his eyes...

...sparkle with interest.

"Professor Lachlan Dark," he says, extending his hand. There is no trace of his former tone. "Tell me, was that remote technopathy, ventriloquism or a psychic intrusion?"

10. - Top - End - #400
    Bugbear in the Playground

Nosferatu

After a few minutes of gliding about, Nosferatu is satisfied that everything is as safe as it will get. He moves a few more circuits, trying to detect as many powers as possible. At least later on he can tell who was here, and might get an insight to what kind of powers are about. After a few blasts of concentration with this, Nosferatu feels a little drained and sets down on a patch of street a bit away from the crowd. He spends a moment checking to make sure none of him is still on fire. He notes with annoyance that there is a whole burnt through a trouser leg. Thankfully, the flesh underneath has healed and looks as good as new.

"Great. I am the great Scouting food tradition. Burnt on the outside, still twitching in the middle."

As he comtemplates his relative lack of sewing skills, he hears a voice call out to him:

"Oi! You there...that's a nice ability there...flying, that is. Nice choice on the costume, though the vampire in the daylight thing is somehow less believable than the 'flying thing.' Anyways, I haven't met any other of us 'super' people before...well...just now. Got a couple minutes or so to spare?"

Nosferatu spins around to face the voice. The minor singe marks and reek of smoke radiate from the person, but he seems to have faired much better against the fire than Nosferatu.

"Never heard of a daywalker? Strong enough to resist the sunlight, and beyond the need to drink blood?"

Nosferatu smiles under the mask, and the rest of his body language follows the friendly tone of the message.

"It is good to meet another super who is willing to risk life and limb to help people out. Hopefully we did some good, and didn't just get in the fire departments way. And yeah, I think we should talk. In fact, we should probably try and get everyone together to discuss these new events... If you can, meet me on top of that building. *points to one beside the previously burning building* Oh, and I am Nosferatu. We can talk more up there"

Nosferatu waits for a reply. After hearing from the newcomer, he will move to any of the fire trucks which have a megaphone on them (or if someone is holding one) and pick it up.

"I'll bring this right back..."

Flicking on the megaphone, Nosferatu glides into the air and speaks to the local area:

"To any of the other well meaning people affected by the blast who may have helped against the fire: If you wish to discuss these recent events, our powers, or our duty in the future (any anything else), head to the top of *that* building. We shall meet there."

After speaking, Nosferatu flies up towards the roof himself. He checks to make sure the person he spoke to before can make it up.

Spoiler
    Show
    geez3r, feel free to flip a coin as to whether this is the roof with the little girl on it
    Spoiler
    Show
    Behold Nosferatu, the Plant Vampire:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Kpenguin!

Thanks Serpentine!

Referring to Pop Yule Ashun:
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberRebirth View Post
    evisiron, that is the most awesome character idea I have ever heard of. I'm going to subscribe to this thread and look forward to updates.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Pixie in the Playground

Nathaniel

Having put out most fire on "his side" of the third floor, Nathaniel walks around looking for Gust while quietly complaining to himself. Wonderful, i´m not only starting to go crazy, i also smell like i´ve been climbing down chimneys.
    Can´t decide which is worse.

Eventually, he leaves the building through the next open (or destroyed) window.
    As he is flying up (and away) from the mess, he hears Nosferatus gathering call.
    Hovering over one of the nearby rooftops, he looks over the other rooftops, searching for the one who defines damning these poor crea....these people, as "well-meaning".

I should probably go there too. I wonder if other people changed as i did. In the inside. But theyre probably too scared to talk about it. And i wouldn´t talk, it scares me too. I guess it won´t hurt me talking to them.

Spotting Nosferatu (and Davan i guess) at another roof, he slowly flies over the street, ignoring the crowd.
    But i probably need a "hero" name. Eventhough
    I wouldn´t want to do this as a living. Point is, i don´t even think that i want to put out fires without my powers as a living.
    But to start some and induce change.

With a silent sigh behind his scarf, he lands at the other roof, whispering I really need a shrink. to himself.

Hello, my name is Tim for this..meeting.
    He greets them/him calmly.
    Last edited by DaftSkunk; 2007-12-01 at 12:38 PM. Reason: I hate my writting

12. - Top - End - #402

The Reaper, having arrived back at his apartment, heard Joe at the door. He quickly unlocked the door and led him inside, closing and locking the door behind him. He said, "So, have you discovered anything new, or do you just want to move in so you can save on rent?" His voice sounds distant, as his thoughts are on the little girl he saved. Weighed against all those he had killed, it seemed such a little thing, but somehow, he knew, it was much more than that. It was a sign that he was not the animal he once had been, and certainly not what he had been before the accident. Then he had been a...he had...he could not remember. He could see the faces, and he knew he had killed them, but the details eluded him.

This was disturbing. First he could not remember his name, now there was almost nothing. He tried to recall what had happened right before the accident. He had been near the warehouse, trying to find...something. No, someone. Or was someone trying to find him? His tenuous hold on his previous life broke, and there was nothing. Only the faces. He could see them now in his mind, even as he saw Joe standing in front of him.They stared at him, begging, pleading with him. He had killed them all. They were dead because of him. H felt himself losing himself in the sea of faces, losing himself in their accusing stares. He felt like he would die of shame.

Then he remembered. The girl. He had saved the girl. He used this thought like a talisman against the insanity, that one face standing against all the others. He would not give himself up to madness, not again. He would not rest until the faces of the dead were outnumbered ten fold by those who were alive because of him.

With an effort of will, he wrenched himself back to the present. He said to Joe, "Whatever it is, speak quickly. I have little enough time to waste it in idle chatter." So little time...how long would he live? How much time would he have to right his wrongs? He did not know how much time he had, and so he had no time at all.
    Thanks to Thormag for my Legion avatar.

Current Characters:

Lily Nightingale, a.k.a. Sparrow, in V for Victory (OoC)

13. - Top - End - #403
    Troll in the Playground

Pulse

Spiraling slowly upward, Pulse hears Nosferatu's call to meet atop the building. He ponders for a moment, then shrugs and turns back toward the meeting site. He pulls out an energy bar and quickly munches it down, replacing his scarf before coming in for a somewhat shaky landing. Dismounting from the glider, he turns off the engine and looks around. The only other access to the roof seems to be a metal fire door, he nods to himself, realizing that he can insure their privacy from news media who try to come up the stairs. He walks over to the group of heroes standing there. "Greetings, I'm called Pulse."
    Last edited by Wiz; 2007-12-01 at 01:40 PM.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

14. - Top - End - #404
    Orc in the Playground

Alex

Before getting to the library, his cell starts ringing. He wasn't expecting any calls and, if this was Judy, he would make sure she would only discuss this in person; it's too easy to trace said calls and it was nowhere near time to tip his hand.

"You've got Alex...Yes, good afternoon, Mrs. Smethfield, is there a problem at the office?...Did he leave a number?...Uh, huh...Well, thank you for forwarding this to me; expect a little something extra in your paycheck."

Hanging up, he thought for a moment. So, the rumors are true. This boorish creature wishes to open a mutant club. Well, now it's time to make my move. I will have to make sure I can acquire controlling stake in this venture. Let us begin.

Alex dialed up the number that had been left. "Good afternoon, is this the number where I can reach "The Man...busy, well this is Alex Catham and I'd like to set up an appointment to discuss this investment he is looking for...is he free at 5pm this evening?...Uh, huh...tell him to meet me at Frank's on the east side...I already have a standing reservation there...uh, huh...hope to see you there."

Exxxxxxcellent...
    There are those in this world who cannot abide women and detest their company; I do not number among them. Women are the charming sex, wonderfully unreasonable and meant to be adored.

I met him in a swamp down in Dagobah
    Where it bubbles all the time like a giant carbonated soda.
    S-o-d-a, Soda

15. - Top - End - #405
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by evisiron View Post
    "To any of the other well meaning people affected by the blast who may have helped against the fire: If you wish to discuss these recent events, our powers, or our duty in the future (any anything else), head to the top of *that* building. We shall meet there."

After speaking, Nosferatu flies up towards the roof himself. He checks to make sure the person he spoke to before can make it up.
    Kid Zeus, hanging out atop the fire truck attempting to learn how to breathe again after smoke inhalation, looked up when Nosferatu started his announcement on the loudspeaker. Seeing a few other mutants/super heroes making their way towards the rooftop that Nosferatu had pointed out, he decided to do the same. What was Thor without the Avengers, right? He had the opportunity to get on the ground floor of something really cool if they decided to all save the world together.

He coughed a few more times and stood up, spreading his arms to his sides. Bolts of electricity spatted onto the roof of the truck and sizzled up the ladders as he took to the air, that aura of lightning crackling all around him in a rather impressive display. It made him smile when people watched him do it, seeing the awe on their faces was priceless...made him feel like the superhero he wanted to be.

Alighting on the rooftop with the other(s) that had gathered there after the fire, Kid Zeus suddenly found himself the youngest of the assembled. He frowned for a moment and straightened to his full height. There had to be some other teenagers that had been affected, right? When was he going to meet some? But he pushed those thoughts aside and introduced himself.

"Call me Kid Zeus." he said with a smile, his eyes brightening their glow for a moment to sizzle with power. "Nice to meet all of you."
    Paladin, Green Lantern, and Cyrine by DarthRaynn!

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”
    ― Travis Beacham, Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero

Spoiler
    Show

Kismet and Deadshot by kpenguin.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

"I figured you'd be back by now," said Joe, leaving out that Reaper could be tracked. Better to save that in case he needed it. "I have a plan.

"I've contacted someone who claims to be a witch now who can hopefully rearrange our appearances. I also stole your camera and took a picture of our friend Taikwon Dog after you left, and gave him to the proper authorities. At four thirty tommorrow, we're going to a corner near the site of the fire. Since there'll still be a crowd there, we won't be overheard. She will change our appearances- I'll be Dog, and you... er... some hoodlum-looking character. We'll enter D-Train's hangout and ask about the higher levels of crime. If they think something's up, we move closer, un-morph, and threaten him at various sharp object-point. We ask him what he knows about Fritz. Any holes that you can think of?"
    Last edited by Xerxes Shadow; 2007-12-01 at 02:51 PM. Reason: "figured" is not spelled "fugured"
    The closest thing to humor in my previous RP experiance was a time when my bard was accused of rape. So...im new to that aspect.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #407

The Reaper answers, "The main problem that I see is the fact that the slightest exposure to sunlight will cause the flesh to peel from my bones. I would prefer to follow you in, melding into the shadows. It takes a keen eye to spot me when I am standing in shadows, and when I am actually melded I am completely invisible. A warehouse is bound to have enough shadows for me to get in along side you, and when the fighting starts you can shoot out some of the lights so I have room to manuever. The only other problem I can see is that we would have to trust this witch person, but if she doesn't have to disguise me, she will be far less suspicious, as I am still current a wanted fugitive and you aren't. What do you think?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Joe, just to let you know, when Shadow Melded the Reaper is invisible. We'll say that when he was leaving the fire, he wasn't melded, just running in the shadows. For future reference, though, he can't be seen when melded.

Current Characters:

18. - Top - End - #408
    Dwarf in the Playground

Davan

Nosferatu? Wasn't that an old black-and-white movie?

At the comment concerning "daywalkers," and the words that follow, Davan grins a little, and mentions "Oh yeah, I've seen that movie. Good stuff. And yeah, about the fire, what's life without challenging yourself a bit? I get bored when I plateau, you know. I'll meet you up there."

Turning away and walking towards the building, Davan gathers himself mentally and begins the ascent, leaping from one fortuitously protruding section to another, spryly leaping off each edge and climbing higher, while hearing Nosferatu's megaphone-driven address.

I'm going to both take a wild guess and fervently hope that isn't his real name...and I really don't want to give my own either. It doesn't make much sense to go around with a mask and hood, and then give out your name willy-nilly, now does it? What could I use for a name, then? I don't want one that sounds stupid, now do I? Hmm...no, not that. I guess I could use...no, that's completely idiotic. Maybe...hell, I don't know. I'll figure something out.

With that thought, he makes it up to the top, already seeing others ascending, or having beaten him to the top. He Greets the others already there or following him up, albeit a little noncommittally, still searching for a name. When Nosferatu finally ascends, Davan introduces himself thusly:
    "So anyways, yeah. For the moment...ah, call me Zhang. Sure, it sounds kinda weird, but I really don't want to throw around my real name, and I haven't really thought of having one until a few moments ago. It's short for a certain style I practice."
    Last edited by The_Lonely_d12; 2007-12-01 at 05:57 PM.
    -Remember, kids...Beeblebrox's Gambit is never a good idea. Never send a fifth drink down to see what the other four are doing in your stomach.

19. - Top - End - #409

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Due to the intricacies of forum posting, it may be a little strange on how this is timed. So, to avoid that, I am running under the assumption that everyone can get to the roof within a few minutes, and Nosferatu will wait until it looks like everyone is there. So if you want to be involved, just post a 'Hi' message and we can assume you where there since the start of the conversation.

Nosferatu

Nosferatu takes a moment to look around the group, studying their faces, letting the various ‘tastes’ flood over his skin.

“Greetings, all of you. First off, for those of you who have not met me, I am Nosferatu. I gained these powers from the chemical explosion that occurred the other night. I am stronger and more resilient than before, and have gained the power of flight. Seeing the fire, I felt my powers could be put to use saving people’s lives.
    I feel I can assume by your being here and involvement, many of you feel the same. And indeed, it appears that our powers could be put to good use in helping people, especially if we do not work alone.
    But in these days of uncertainty, there is also a danger to our kind. The cause of the explosion has yet to be decided, and these days, foul play could always be expected. I do not know how far the information on this incident has spread. However, when the world knows of us, the consequences could be worrying. There is a chance fearful ‘unaffected’ could group together and try and destroy us. A government could try and weaponise us, to fight their battles.
    The affected who do not feel the need to help others may also be a danger. I am sure you have heard news of the Reaper. I fear that such a character may realize that we are the only ones who can truly challenge him, and would try to find and kill us, one by one, until he remains unopposed. We cannot let this happen.”

Nosferatu pauses for a moment, looking into the eyes of the people listening, each changed in unique ways by the circumstances of the last few days. After a few seconds to let the information sink in, Nosferatu speaks again.

“I therefore propose that we band together. United, we have a better chance to do good in the world. United, we can protect ourselves against those that would do us harm. United… we have a chance.
    Now, I am in no position to tell you all what to do. But I for one would rather know that should a SWAT team or insane super track me down and drag me into the night, I would not disappear without a trace. Others would take arms alongside me to defend against this threat. If I burst into a burning building to save people, and get pinned by falling debris, others would hear my call for help instead of my charred bones being found by a team of inspectors the next day.
    You are all individuals. You all have your own opinions. But if you feel that forming a group is a good or bad idea, make yourself heard now.”

When he finishes speaking, Nosferatu raises his arms to the group, motioning that others should speak.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Kpenguin!

Thanks Serpentine!

evisiron, that is the most awesome character idea I have ever heard of. I'm going to subscribe to this thread and look forward to updates.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Troll in the Playground

Pulse

The big-nosed man in the black hat and face-covering red scarf nods. "There are advantages, certainly, to forming a group. It's perhaps a bit harder to come up with the best way to do it. We barely know each other, so how would loyalty to this group be judged or even enforced. I have no desire to be part of a group, for example, that becomes violently opposed to civil or military authorities."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

21. - Top - End - #411
    Pixie in the Playground

Nathaniel

Pushing the black sunglasses a little higher up the nose, Nath listens to Nosferatus speech and Puls´s comment:

While ignoring the possibility of just keeping the head down, and therefore avoiding all these dangers, i have a question.

What should this group do?
    Because, putting out fires...thats what the firemen do.
    Catching criminals? Thats the police.
    Patrol the sky to mess in the work of the officials?
    That would be us, no?

Even though the idea is flashy and charming, it won´t work.
    Last edited by DaftSkunk; 2007-12-01 at 07:15 PM.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Strange View Post
    Nathaniel

Pushing the black sunglasses a little higher up the nose, Nath listens to Nosferatus speech and Puls´s comment:

While ignoring the possibility of just keeping the head down, and therefore avoiding all these dangers, i have a question.

What should this group do?
    Because, putting out fires...thats what the firemen do.
    Catching criminals? Thats the police.
    Patrol the sky to mess in the work of the officials?
    That would be us, no?

Even though the idea is flashy and charming, it won´t work.
    "No one said you had to join up, dude." Kid Zeus said, crossing his arms over his chest. "I mean, no offense to the police but where were they when teenage girls are getting raped down the street from my house? I'm probably the biggest fan of law enforcement you'll ever meet, but I also know that even the police need help sometimes. Even policemen have trouble with the gangs and stuff around here. We can help fill that niche, do some real good!" he frowned, staring down Nathaniel. "What would you have us do anyway? We have these powers for a reason! It's our duty to use them to help."

"So you take your negativity and do your own thing. I, for one, think it's a great idea. There's bound to be a few things no single one of us could handle. As a team we'll be more effective, we can do more in a shorter amount of time, really hit 'em hard." he grinned. "Besides, aren't the police registering people like us who want to do the very same thing we're doing? It's not like they're stopping us, right? The police are glad for the help."
    Paladin, Green Lantern, and Cyrine by DarthRaynn!

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”
    ― Travis Beacham, Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero

Spoiler
    Show

Kismet and Deadshot by kpenguin.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Troll in the Playground

Pulse

Pulse nods, "And there is dealing with our kind... mutates affected by the chemical, who's powers make them difficult for the police to stop. I think the incident at the Mayor's speech illustrates that usefulness."
    Last edited by Wiz; 2007-12-01 at 08:04 PM.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

24. - Top - End - #414
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

"Right, forgot about that. Anyway, I've arranged to meet the woman at 5 PM tommorrow, so we'll get there a half-hour early! And I'm now off to... somewhere." With that, Joe turned and left the building, jumping around the city and looking for anything noteworthy, particularly in alleyways and seedy corners. As long as the fire was still occupied, there might be more criminal activity going on, what with the sudden lesser amount of heroes around.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #415
    Dwarf in the Playground

Davan

Davan listens to the different points each speaker has brought up so far, and decides he might as well put in his own opinions. As he speaks, he ends up unconsciously emphasizing his words with gestures.

"Personally, I'm loth to register with the police, military, or the government. I don't like the idea of someone deciding that all of us mutants are potentially dangerous, and deciding that the greater good requires us to be "disappeared." I also don't really care for being used as a weapon by said organizations, both of which are more likely to happen with registration-along with time and the eventual paranoia of the mass public, among other things. I'm not an especially big fan of the police anyways. I've spent a good amount of time outside the country where the police aren't any better than your general gang, so I'm sure that doesn't help. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm for the law, and for government. I don't like dealing with red tape, and with endless rounds of asking "may I" for every action, when waiting to do so is dangerous. I suppose that sounds more like vigilantism, but this is how I feel.

That being said, I agree with the point I heard a moment ago: a good majority of crime can be and should be stopped by the police. I don't have to like them to understand that they are necessary. But some of you have brought up excellent points...there come situations where other superpowered people will end up wantonly slaughtering, or blowing up buildings, or holding the mayor hostage, etc. This isn't something that any normal person will be able to deal with, and as many bad people probably got affected by this as good people. We shouldn't overexert efforts trying to take care of relatively small time things when problems arise. Saving trapped people in a burning building the fire brigade has difficulty accessing? Great stuff. Spending all of your time searching up and down the back alleys for a purse-snatching to occur? Very nice of you, but we can't stop everything.

We have to be able to concentrate on the bigger fish more than the little, though I hate saying it. Hell, I'm guilty of that myself. Last night I was roaming the streets, and stopped a snatch-and-grab. But, if I hadn't been doing that, maybe I would have been able to stop one of the murders, or have caught that bank robber..."
    Last edited by The_Lonely_d12; 2007-12-02 at 12:42 AM.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Troll in the Playground

Pulse

Pulse frowns, "Good points, but then again if we had a large group of heroes we could have them patrolling different parts of town. Sure, some will get purse-snatchers, others might catch the guy who's gutting burglars and writing "P" on them with their own blood. But if we have some kind of association, we can spread are efforts where they seem the most needed."
    Last edited by Wiz; 2007-12-02 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Epimetheus...
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

27. - Top - End - #417

Nosferatu

Nosferatu listen to the various points, nodding in agreement when needed. There a variety of opinions, which was to be expected. Thankfully no-one has reacted violently to such an idea.

“It is good to hear the opinions of everyone. If you are willing to firm a group, we can decide the specifics. I propose an organization that has a loose connection with the law system, in that by agreeing to operate within the law (and not butchering the crooks) they will be a little more lenient with the vigilante rules. I think they would be more trustful of us working as a group, as we could police our own behavior if needed. Also, the link between each of use does not need to be set in the same way as a police force. We can choice to have a grouping that keeps in contact, but does not always stick together. This would mean we could still lead our normal lives, but could access each other when there is need. Or, we could form an actual group and fight as a team (or several teams) and organise the likes of patrols. This is a little less flexible, but would allows to learn to work better together. In any case, we would start by laying down Founding Principles. This would set the direction of the group, and we could discuss and refine them. As a starting point, I put forth the following:
    1. Help protect the innocent
    2. Abide the law (as long as it does not conflict with the first rule)
    3. Help others in the group (as long as it does not conflict with the first 2 rules)
    Ah, the laws of robotics set a fine framework, right? In any case, we can tweak and refine these as needed. And I am glad to hear the criticisms of this idea. If we can address problems now, there will be much less hassle in the future.”

Nosferatu moves to indicate Nathaniel.

“And to address your concern, I understand that this is rather risky. If you do not want to be placed in danger, no-one will force you to join. If you, or anyone else, would rather go your own way, you are welcome to leave. And in regards to the usefulness of this group, others have already spoken attesting to what we can achieve. In times before an organised fire department was set up, all you could do was to rely on the help of other people. The people who wanted to help despite the risk became organizing, forming the fire department similar to what we know today. Organised professionals. I believe this is the first step towards doing the same thing.”
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Kpenguin!

Thanks Serpentine!

28. - Top - End - #418

The Reaper

The Reaper watches Joe leave, still slightly distracted, but quickly coming under control. He hated this interminable waiting, with nothing to distract him from his thoughts. He decided to go back to the fire, to see what was going on. Better than standing around alone with the faces of the dead.

After a few minutes of shadow travel, the Reaper arrived to find a large group of heroes gathered on a rooftop. There were no sounds of fighting, so they were probably having a meeting, disussing the fire or something. Suddenly it hit him that every one of them probably thought of him as a villain and a murderer. The sheer wait of that fear and hatred threatened to crush what small goodness he had kindled within himself. If he doesn't do something now, he will devolve back into what he was. And so, he climbs the shadowed side of the building and transports himself to the side of the fire door, which is cast in enough shadow for him to flee if necessary. He emerges and speaks.

"First of all, please don't kill me," he says. "I am here because I want to help, and I fear that if I continue to be hunted like an animal, I will become the animal I once was again. All I ask is a chance. I am not the man I once was, and certainly not the beast you all saw. Please, give me my chance." He waits with baited breath, ready to flee if they try to attack him.

Current Characters:

29. - Top - End - #419
    Troll in the Playground

Pulse

Pulse turns and looks at the shadowy form of the Reaper. "So... now you want a chance. Very well, a chance to do what, exactly?" He doesn't reach for his guns, but his posture indicates he's only a moment away from that, should this be some kind of trick.
    Last edited by Wiz; 2007-12-02 at 11:11 AM.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

30. - Top - End - #420

The Reaper, relaxing slightly when they did not immediately attack him, says, "All I ask is that you allow me to help you. I want a clean slate, a chance to prove that I am a murderer no longer. I wish to be treated no different than any of the rest of you, despite what I have done. Believe me when I say that no punishment you or anyone else could inflict on me would be equal to that in my own mind. In my mind I see their faces, all those I have killed, and I know if I do not do something to redeem myself I shall go mad." He pauses, speaking quietly now, "I cannot even remember my own name. All I can remember are the faces of the dead. Give me a chance to prove myself, that's all I ask."

Current Characters: