Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 1506

Thread: A New Chance

  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    I'm going to do my best to do another post today, but I'm rather tired and I might not be able to get through all of the player's actions. I apologize if that is the case.

    Joe Kobayashi/ The Reaper/ Pulse

    Pulse opens fire on the shadowy man in the alley, but because of the obscuring darkness, misses. The shadow then disappears from sight after giving his cryptic threats.

    Alex - Check you Inbox

    Josh Snider


    St. Paul's - The nurse looks at you puzzled, saying "Unless you have medical training, have super abilities, or know exactly what was in those chemicals, I'm afraid extra bodies would only get in the way at this point. It's nice that you want to help and all, but unless you know what you're doing...." She waits for your response, but you get the feeling that if you don't meet one of the criteria, she's about to zip off.

    Car dealer - Your standard smarmy used car salesman walks up to you stretching out his hand saying "Why hello there gentlemen. My name's Chip. And I must say that you have good eyes to pick out that vehicle right there. If there's anything you need, I'm here to help."

    Judith

    The officer replies "Well because of the wind that comes in off the port, this section of the quarantine is actually the closest to the warehouse, because the wind diverted any of the gases from getting too far into this area. You probably don't need to go to the hospital, from what I've heard some of the symptoms are pretty obvious. But if you feel like going, I don't think anyone would stop you."

    THE MAN
    (yes I had to put it in all caps)

    Orwell's brow contracts as he looks at you, considering your proposition for a moment, his hand on his chin as a gesture of contemplation. "Well, 'The Man' I believe you have a speech to prepare." he says finally smiling. "If you'll follow me this way, we can get you ready for the press conference."

    Andrew/Vox Populi

    After waiting on hold for a few moments, the familiar voice of the Mayor comes from the other line. "Ah, Sellars, I was hoping we could get in contact before the conference. I heard that you viewed the hospital and those affected. Give your honest opinion, and don't pull any punches."

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Arkham Asylum!

    Default Re: A New Chance

    ((OOC: Sorry I couldn't post today, my internetz were down))

    "That was a close one," said Joe, shaking a little. He observed the newcomer across from him. "To put it in the words of creepy shadow-man, be you friend or foe? Do choose wisely... this is a chance for me to finally get some fame and I don't want it spoiled." He leaps into an alleyway, rebounding off two walls to get to the top of the building.

    SUMMARY: Talk to Pulse, then jump. JUMP CHECKS: First roll was 65, then 49, then 66. I love Amazing Leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormthorn View Post
    The closest thing to humor in my previous RP experiance was a time when my bard was accused of rape. So...im new to that aspect.
    Spoiler
    Show

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Wiz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    LA

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Dr. Harold Smith a.k.a. Pulse

    The guns only make slight chuffs of noise as they fire, and the projectiles strike the pavement, bouncing forcefully. The glider pulls up as the caped and masked man rides it, turning in a slow arc, his vehicle spewing a white smoke from it's otherwise silent engine. The rider turns to glance at the sword-wielder as he bounds between the buildings. "Well, it's hard for me to say foe definitely, for you seemed to be targeted by the Reaper, who seems less than friendly. Then again, it's hard to say friend as I just watched you take down one of Rainport's finest. Is that how you intend to gain your fame? Using your powers to beat up hard-working police officers?"
    Last edited by Wiz; 2007-10-31 at 01:32 AM.
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PlasticSoldier's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Right below TPAM
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    OK so after we shoot up the bank?
    Then we pretend to be the FBI.
    And then we wait for superheroes to come over...
    And then we cure cancer.



    Clone #1@Hospital
    Inventory: Nothing Important

    "Well with 4 of me I'll probably get around to finding out what those chemicals were pretty soon...."

    Original walking to conference:
    Continues walking...

    2Clones@CarDealer:

    "Thanks we were thinking of getting this kind of van, so how much would you be willing to sell it for? Of course we still need to test drive it, and if you have any other of these kinds of vans that would be nice.

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Geez3r since you didn't say anything about the original that I sent to the
    press conference I'm going to assume he is still walking.

    Also, I just realized everyone else has more developed characters than I do :( but fortunately I'm going to be sitting in a fake FBI van for about a day so I'll probably meet up with some of you guys and be able to fit in some character developy goodness.

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    blennus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    “The Man”

    “I am at... your service.” he flourished a bow as he paused. While following the Vice Secretary, he called up Angie on his cell.
    “Angie, park the Limo. I need you to help me finish my speech!”
    “That’s great Fa-Boss. I’ve already parked, and was waiting in the conference room for you. I didn’t see where you went. Where’d you go?”
    “Just tell one of the interns there that you work for ‘The Man’, who is giving a speech. They should be able to direct you to me”
    “’k Boss.”
    His mind was racing. Everything was beginning to fall into place. Now he no longer had to disrupt the conference, as he had originally planned. This was for the better, as now he would have the full support of the staff, instead of having to fight against it. All he had left to do was to complete the speech he had to make.

    Summary:
    Follow secretary, and call for personal assistant.

    OoC: Please check other thread.
    Last edited by blennus; 2007-10-31 at 10:50 AM.

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Not in Trogland

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Michael says. "Thank you." as he walks off to the hospital.
    As he walked he started to focus at things near by, trying to destroy them, control them, lift them up. When it became clear he didn't have any powers like that he tried super speed. "i was definately in the blast zone, so where are the powers."

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Glawackus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Andrew/Vox Populi

    ((OOC: I'm trying to move this along to get to the press conference, so I'm just going to plug in some generic questions from the Mayor. If you don't like it, I'll alter it.))

    "We're walking on eggshells here. People with powers are running all over the place. They're running everyone through the standard battery of tests, but I don't like this one bit."

    Try and thin the herd while I still can. The idea pops into Sellars' mind. If I really do have one of these...powers...and I can persuade people. If I can wipe out anyone else who might realize it....

    A smile flashes across his face, but he quickly returns to a serious expression. "What do I mean? There's a nurse here who's running so fast you can barely see her. What if she breaks the sound barrier? There's a guy who's blinking out of existence and reappearing somewhere else. What if he gets caught between floors and dies? What if the family sues? These are real concerns! Maybe not for right now, but we definitely need to consider this from a legislative viewpoint.

    Sellars nods at the mayor's next question. "No, the mutagen appears to be fading out. We need not be concerned with people developing abilities living in the area now."

    "They say Forthwind's been helping them. I think that most of this goes back to Balchem. My office will handle that facet of the investigation. No, that's all, Mayor. I assume I'll be able to sit in on the press conference? There's been so much communication flying back and forth lately, my secretaries are having a hard time keepign track of things."

    ((Goal: Get into the press conference, and perhaps on to Balchem.
    Long-term goal: Cull the herd of people with powers through some kind of regulation.))
    The Tenth Doctor and the TARDIS by Ceika.

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Raven T.'s Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Where Nature rules
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Alex

    So, that's the score. It stands to reason they wouldn't publish the best dirt online, anyway. Looks like I need to contract out some industrial espionage. After taking another long drink from his coffee cup, he plugs in his headphones and begins to fade into his own little world, watching the news as it unfolds. So, I think Balchem should be the first target. Their record isn't exactly exemplary, and this accident should pretty much ruin what credibility it had left. It will be interesting to see what unfolds; if I can get my hands on the documents related to the chemical, through corporate merger/takeover or more illicit means, I may be able to have an even greater controlling stake in the future of the world. After all, if there is some sort of "cure" that can be developed, I can imagine government officials wanting them. People with power tend to be destructive. As well, we can develop more of the chemical, creating an endless loop and seemingly limitless capital to advance a corporate empire, weaving our tentacles into every facet of life. The tips of his new appendages twitch in excitement at the thought. Let those fools who desire nothing but destruction have their fun; we will see who is more intelligent soon enough.

    However, there is one wild card yet to account for; the hero. I'll bet my life that there are some people affected by this...incident...who will try to become a real live Superman. We must be cautious...ever cautious.


    OOC: I said on my sheet he's big on internal monologue...
    There are those in this world who cannot abide women and detest their company; I do not number among them. Women are the charming sex, wonderfully unreasonable and meant to be adored.

    I met him in a swamp down in Dagobah
    Where it bubbles all the time like a giant carbonated soda.
    S-o-d-a, Soda

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Arkham Asylum!

    Default Re: A New Chance

    "If the circumstances require," said Joe, continuing to leap. "I am not a fan of hospitals, due to... Never mind. Just make sure you don't give me a reason to dislike you..." He spared a glance at Pulse. "What are your powers, anyway? I mean, I realize you can fly, but other than that...?"

    SUMMARY: Talk a lot and keep on jumping.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormthorn View Post
    The closest thing to humor in my previous RP experiance was a time when my bard was accused of rape. So...im new to that aspect.
    Spoiler
    Show

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Wiz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    LA

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Dr. Harold Smith, a.k.a. Pulse

    The glider rider laughs behind his mask. "I can fly the way you can cut things in half with your bare hands." He sheathes his pistols and gestures to your swords. "I can also project bullets out of a gun by pulling a trigger." He glances down to the police, "So they were forcing you to the hospital against your will?" He parallels you, his glider eerily silent, but streaming a trail of exhaust.
    Last edited by Wiz; 2007-10-31 at 03:41 PM.
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Zimmia's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    the prison of my mind
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Raine

    After the initial shock wore off, Raine dressed in sweatpants and a tank top. She went to the kitchen for some KrispeeO’s and sat at the table. She turned on the TV in the living room then muted it so she would know when anything new happened.

    She was beginning to get used to all the people’s conversations in her head and found that with a bit of concentration she could isolate individual conversations in the sea of voices. Her eyes lit up at the inherent possibilities. She revisited the couple who had woke her but quickly let that one go as she blushed to her ears. About the only topic of conversation was the explosion and aftermath this morning. She even caught an initial reaction as one woman realized she’d been mutated after freezing her alarm clock into a block of solid ice. She giggled as the startled woman cried out and went in search of more fun. She was so preoccupied she completely ignored her cell phone when it rang.

    Sometime later there was a knock at the door. “No thank you, I’m busy” Rain called. By this time she was sitting yoga style in the middle of the floor, the remote for the muted TV at her feet.

    Nice try Raine,” came Phoebe’s voice through the door. “Now let me in.”

    Aw Phoeebs, go back to bed will ‘ya?” Raine called, not moving from the floor. “I’ve got a horrible hangover.”

    There was a click at the door and then Phoebe appeared, key in hand. “You don’t drink,” she said bluntly as she quietly closed the door.

    Raine sprang up and ran for the bathroom. “Well maybe I picked yesterday to start.”

    Phoebe followed her, “Or maybe you were some place you don’t want to admit last night,” she went on relentlessly. “You know, before the accident you’ve been watching on TV happened.”

    Raine turned toward her, towel in hand. “How did you know that?”

    It was in your email.”

    You read my email? Wait a minute – that was in my private qmail account. You read that?”

    Of course. Why do you think you get so little junk mail?”

    You mean you…” Raine stammered. “Just how long as this been going on?”

    Pretty much forever,” Phoebe answered absently. “But that’s really beside the point. The fact is you were partying right near that warehouse when it blew. I’ve been following the news for a while now. When you didn’t answer the phone I figured I’d come over here and make sure you weren’t purple and slimy. I even brought a mop, just in case,” she finished with a smirk.

    Nope,” Raine said with a smile, holding out her arms and turning around. “As you can see, I’m perfectly fine.”

    Phoebe had been watching her closely. She looked right into the convincing smile of her long time friend. “Bull,” she said.

    Akay, akay, maybe not ‘perfectly’,” Raine admitted with a grin. “But there’s no need to get all flustered.” There was a pause and finally Raine continued. “So maybe I can hear other people sometimes.”

    Sometimes?”

    Akay, maybe like all the time. I can hear conversations and sometimes even hear what people are thinking. As a matter of a fact, I can’t get them to stop.”

    Huh,” Phoebe grunted. “I suppose that makes sense.” She smiled at the confused look on Raine’s face. “You’ve been empathic from the time I first met you sweetie. How do you think you get along with people so well? Like a chameleon you change to suit others and you’re not even aware of it. My guess is that whatever you got exposed to probably took that ability and expanded it. I wonder what else you can do.”

    I don’t want to be able to do anything else. I just want the voices to stop!”

    Then shut them off,” Pheobe answered sensibly.

    And I suppose you know how to do it, Ms Know-It-All?”

    Don’t be snide. Of course I don’t know but I can make a good guess. You know how to shield emotions from hurting you, you need to do the same thing with all the extra voices.”

    I wouldn’t know where to start,” Raine whined and threw herself into her chair.

    Shut your mouth, open your mind and just do it.”

    Raine threw here friend a glare and then shut her eyes. She concentrated for several long moments and then a beatific smile came to her face. “Hey,” she gasped.

    Naturally,” smirked Phoebe.

    You were right,” Raine conceded. “Now don’t rub it in.” She grinned a few more seconds and then the smile fell from her face. “What’s going to happen when people realize what’s happened to me? What’s Daddy going to say?

    You tell them the truth,” Phoebe answered seriously. "You tell them that you were at a party and was hit by this gunk. A lot of people were you know.” Raine looked unconvinced. “It’s not like you were doing anything illeg…” She paused and grimaced. “Whoever owns that warehouse didn’t know about that party, did they?”

    Well of course they didn’t,” Raine admitted. “That’s one of the things that make it exciting.” She jumped up and took Phoebe’s arm. “Please Phoeebs, this has to be our secret akay? We can’t let anyone else know.”

    Phoebe didn’t answer and instead turned back to the TV. “Oh look here,” she said grabbing the remote. “They’re about to start.”
    Last edited by Zimmia; 2007-10-31 at 03:54 PM.
    Poet Laureate of House Kato

    I have Ink to thank for my great avatar. Thanks!

    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Tar Palantir's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    The Reaper listened to the two for a while, then left, jumping from shadow to shadow when the way became impassable. As he crawled along the side of a building, he heard a television inside announcing a pending press conference. Thinking it potentially of interest, he strated towards city hall.

    Making good time despite the advancing daylight, he managed to take up a position on the shaded side of a pillar in front of city hall, ornamental in nature but functional for his purposes. No doubt the mayor would be there, and possibly someone else of significance. A few high profile kills would put the fear of death into the people of Rainport. The Reaper clung to the shadows, careful to remain hidden from the hated sun, and ready to kill if the opportunity presented itself.

    Spoiler
    Show

    I'm assuming that city hall is one of those quasi Greek buildings with the columns, like the White House, and that the lights are focused mainly on the mayor and not the backs of the columns a couple 10-20 ft. behind him. I can't touch him while he hides in the light, but I can use my fear power on him, and cause him to flee in terror, hopefully into darkness eventually.
    Thanks to Thormag for my Legion avatar.

    Current Characters:

    Lily Nightingale, a.k.a. Sparrow, in V for Victory (OoC)

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Starting at 5:22pm, lets see how long this one takes...

    Pulse and Joe

    *witty banter, witty banter* The police cars that you saw off in the distance, are getting close enough for you to hear their sirens, but they're still a bit of a ways off.

    Legion

    Original heading towards press conference - A guard turns you away at the door for not having a press badge, but he welcomes you to stand around the perimeter to watch the conference anyway.

    Car Dealer - "Well, the price is listed about $4000 right about now, but I think we could knock it down to $3500 because you're so interested. If memory serves, we have 3 vans of a similar make, but the one you're looking at is in the best condition, but also priced the highest. Would you like to see the others?"

    THE MAN

    The Secretary leads you to a side office where there are many of the tech people who get you mic-ed up for the conference, and the Secretary leads you to his office where you can have some peace and quite to think about your speech.

    Andrew/Vox Populi

    The Mayor says you should start heading over to the press conference, and you'll have a seat at the conference reserved for you if you wish to have one.




    OOC: Okay, next time I'll do the Mayor's speech at the press conference. I'll give you this little grace period to do anything else you want to finish out before now and then, but sometime between 2-4pm tomorrow, I'll post what happens at the press conference. So before that time, make sure you've done everything you wanted to do in that time.

    Oh and Happy Halloween.

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Arkham Asylum!

    Default Re: A New Chance

    "Pretty much, yeah," explained Joe. "I've been kinda busy putting together my 'costume' and such, so I don't really know what's going on down at the hospital. I might as well go check... and also change. I don't want to get arrested, here." He jumped across the street, landing in front of the hospital. He entered the place, ducking into the bathroom to change out of his "costume." As he exited, he approached reception and asked what was going on.

    SUMMARY: Go to the hospital, ask reception a question. OOC: I'm assuming the sunglasses count as a domino mask for recognizing me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormthorn View Post
    The closest thing to humor in my previous RP experiance was a time when my bard was accused of rape. So...im new to that aspect.
    Spoiler
    Show

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    You get to the hospital in a few long bounds, and people there are too distracted by everything else that is going on to notice someone jumping really high. After changing, you head up to the reception desk, and one of the nurses, who looks a bit frazzled, asks you "Is there anything I can help you with sir?"

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Raven T.'s Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Where Nature rules
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Alex

    A thought occurred to him as he waited; there was someone he could possibly tap for a bit of information gathering. Firing up his e-mail client, he sent this out to an old friend.

    Judy,
    I must discuss some things with you at my apartment. Dinner is served promptly at six. I would appreciate it if you could come...for old time's sake.
    Alex.
    There are those in this world who cannot abide women and detest their company; I do not number among them. Women are the charming sex, wonderfully unreasonable and meant to be adored.

    I met him in a swamp down in Dagobah
    Where it bubbles all the time like a giant carbonated soda.
    S-o-d-a, Soda

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Glawackus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Andrew/Vox Populi

    Andrew expresses his thanks to the Mayor, and heads out to his car to reach the press conference.
    The Tenth Doctor and the TARDIS by Ceika.

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PlasticSoldier's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Right below TPAM
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    How's the plan going?
    If it keeps going this smoothly we won't need the van.
    Then what would we do with it?
    Sneak into wherever the government keeps its best nanotech.


    Orig @ Press Conference

    "Fine. I say before heading off to stand around in a relatively quiet place near the conference so that I can direct the preparations peacefully.

    Clone # 1&2 @ Car Dealer
    How would you feel about $1,000 now and $100 a month for 2 years? Assuming of course it works well but my brother can take it for a test drive while we work out a contract.

    Clone 2 does whatever bureacracy stuff is necessary to test drive the van, and then starts heading off towards that Home Depo-esque place.

    Spoiler
    Show
    diplomacy - (1d20+18)[35]


    Clone #3 @ Hospital

    I head over to Frank Viola's bed and say"So you can teleport right? So where have you been popping off to while I was here? Because if you could control it perfectly it would be really powerful"

    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure what kind of roll this would be so here's a few guesses. Bluff - (1d20+14)[25] Bluff - (1d20+18)[34] GatherInformation - (1d20+12)[20]

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PlasticSoldier's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Right below TPAM
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    I wrote bluff instead of diplomacy on the second roll for my hospital one so here's another one

    Diplomacy - (1d20+18)[35]

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Legion

    car dealership - The salesman ponders for a moment; your direct approach kind of took him by surprise. After a moment's consideration he says "If you make it $1500 up front, and paying the remaining $2000 in $100 monthly increments, you can drive it off the lot before lunch if you so wish." If you agree to the offer, he takes you inside and breezes right through all the paper work.

    Hospital - Frank looks at your curiously for a moment, before saying "I've been going to different parts of the hospital, or at least trying, for most of the morning. The farthest I think I've gone it to the top of the roof..." He pauses for a moment and looks at you for a moment before saying "Haven't I seen you around here before? You look familiar."
    Last edited by geez3r; 2007-10-31 at 08:54 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    blennus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    “The Man”
    He sat down in the leather-backed chair and began spinning a pen between his fingers, while he pressed the cell phone to his ear.

    “Hello Mr. Schwartz, … Who am I? I am ‘The Man’, and … yes that’s the one. Did you read the email Fauntleroy sent you? Right, in today’s press conference. Yes well, he wanted me to make sure that you would cover my upcoming speech very thoroughly, and in a positive light. Sounds Great! Thanks, I’ll be in touch.”

    As he hung up his cell, an intern opened the door and squeaked “Um… Sir? Um… Do you have um… a secretary named Angie?”
    “Yes, let her in.”
    “I’m sorry for holding you up.” He mumbled a quick apology towards Angie, and left as quickly as he could as Angie stepped in and closed the door.
    “Angie, finally you’re here. Let’s get to work.”

    Summary:
    Call Mr. Schwartz, Editor of major newspaper (Ally) for a possible bonus on my talk when read.
    Start working on speech with Angie if she indeed makes it in as I have indicated. I'm assuming that secretaries are allowed inside (Maybe they need a security badge?). If not, then well, I'll have to work on it myself

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BloodyAngel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    New York

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Tasha

    She's passed out. She was probably up all night drinking. I thought she had a research paper due.

    These were the first words Tasha heard as she woke up. Last night had been a bitch and a half. After spending two hours driving around looking for the Peter Faulk gallery to write a pointless report for her art appreciation course, she had finally gotten herself hoplessly lost. Finally finding a place to stop, she had headed for a local crap-hole of a deli that was still open... when there was a sound like a bomb went off. It had not sounded too far off, and Tasha immediately abandoned her quest for directions to run like hell for her car and speed out of there. She couldn't stop coughing at first... and grew a bit dizzy as she drove... but the blaring of sirens and flashing police lights kept her focused enough to make it back to her dorm... Though by then she had a hellish migrane. She took a handful of advil, and passed out... briefly musing over whether the school health office had the supplies to treat anthrax.

    Now it was morning, and her roomate Heather was awake and typing away at her computer. Probably trying to last-minute some project or another. Tasha's head still stung a bit... but she wasn't dead. That probably ruled out anthrax.

    I wish I could lie around like that and still pull passing marks. Stupid smart people. She heard from Heather again.

    "I can hear you, you know." Tasha said groggily and rolled over onto her back.

    "Huh? Hear what?" Heather remarked confused, looking at her oddly. Oh god. Is she STILL drunk?

    "I'm not drunk!" Tasha protested, sitting up in her bed. "I didn't have anything to drink at all last night. I spent all night trying to find the stupid gallery!"

    "I... didn't say you were." Heather replied... now even more confused. That was weird. I was just thinking that.

    Tasha rubbed her eyes a bit and looked at Heather quizzically.

    "Riiight. Well... my paper is shot now, so I'm just going to go and get something to eat." She said, and got up to get dressed... at least her headache had mostly gone away.

    -----------------------

    The halls were uncommonly noisy for so early... and they only grew worse at the school commons. When she arrived, all of the students and faculty alike were crowded around looking up at the televisions that hung above the tables. Usually, they played bad music videos and showed school news. Today, they were all tuned to the same channel.

    "...This may seem like something out of a sci-fi movie or comic book, but I assure you, this is no hoax, and there are people in our own very city that now have these amazing abilities. It is currently unclear if they are a threat to the public or not, as many of those affected may not even know they have these new abilities yet. The Mayor is urging the public to remain calm, and will hold a press conference later on this afternoon." The reporter on the screen spoke. From his tone, you would think that the president had just been shot.

    "What's going on?" She asked over the din of voices.

    A boy she knew from her english class looked up.

    "There was some chemical spill or something out by the shipping warehouses. They say people are mutating!" He said, oddly excited about the idea of a toxic chemical spill.

    Tasha sat down and watched the rest of the report in rapt facination.

    Holy @#$%! She thought to herself, I was only a block from where that happened. I could have cancer or something!

    She didn't feel strange. "Superhuman abilities"? That was the most insane thing she ever heard. Still, she sat with the others and watched every minute of it. She didn't tell a soul that she had been near the blast. Who knew what might happen then? In shock, she wandered back to her room... but the voices of the commons seemed to follow her. She heard them long after they were out of earshot. Her head pounded as she tried to silence the voices. She closed her eyes and curled up on her bed, and tried to focus...

    "Tash?"

    She all but jumped at the noise, and looked up to see Heather standing over her.

    "Are you alright?" Heather asked in concern.

    Tasha was still for a moment. For a second, it was quiet.

    "I'm... fine." She said in relief. "Just... a headache."

    "Alright..." Heather said, "You really shouldn't drink so much."

    "I di..." She began to protest... until she realized how good an excuse that made for her whereabouts last night. "I... didn't mean to. You know me when I get going."

    Heather smiled. "I wish I could manage to do that and still pull a 3.7."

    "Yeah... I know." Tasha replied with a smile.

    ---------------------

    The next few hours were spent with the news on in the background as she researched "telepathy" online. After that, she began practicing her new trick... unwilling to believe that it was really, truly happening until she could feel Heather's thoughts in her head again. Not just her surface musings. She could delve deeper... What she had eaten that morning... The boy in her PE class that she liked... And deeper still... Memories from her childhood. Her school play when she was 12. Her parent's divorce. She could flip through everything. Thoughts... emotions... Even the deep dark repressed things that she wouldn't dare admit to.

    At that point, her conscience kicked in. Heather was a friend of hers... It didn't seem right to sift through her mind like that. Besides... she wanted to practice other things. Tasha grabbed her purse and made an excuse about going out to do her research... hopped in her car, and drove. Someplace far from the school, where no one would recognize her. She didn't know what cosmic force had decided to grant her this power... but she was going to make the most of it...

    (OOC: I could have ranted some more... but as it turns out, I have to sleep! The continuation of Tasha's development tomorrow)
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

    Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground
     
    The_Snark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Judith

    She shrugged. "I feel okay, I think." Just... seriously weirded out. She continued to stand near the quarantine for a bit, watching the cleanup personnel go about their work, before turning around and starting back the way she came.

    As she did, she turned off the TV in her house, having gotten out of a brief news update the time that the press conference would be on. Until then, she figured nobody would really know anything, not on TV, at least. Jude realized she was hungry. Funny, that; she'd just eaten a little bit ago. Well, she'd have to wait. She'd already eaten twice as much as usual, she thought with a tinge of amusement. It came a little too close to thinking about what had happened to her again, and she realized she'd been trying to avoid that. "Well, avoiding it won't do anything," she muttered. Still, her other self stopped in at a local dingy coffee shop, delaying her arrival back here.

    After a few minutes, she headed over and sits down cross-legged in front of the old cabinet that had her elderly computer on it, turning it on and humming to herself as the thing slowly started up. She'd had the thing all the way through college, and while it was pretty slow, at least it didn't break down on her. A new one would strain her pockets quite a bit right now. About to see what she could find on the various news sites, she realized she has mail.

    Alex? Hmmm. Now there was someone she hadn't seen for a while. Not since she graduated, really. Still the same Alex, I see. She took a moment to chuckle over his slightly formal wording, typing out a reply.

    Sure, I'd love to. It's been a while since I've seen you. Be nice to get caught up again.
    Jude


    It would be nice, she realized. A lot of her friends had been criminally involved with her the past couple years, and her decision to go straight had made things awkward with most of them, on both sides. Her attempt to go into business as an investigator hadn't helped, although she'd told herself she'd try to stay away from cases involving them. As a result, she didn't have many friends she kept in touch with at the moment, and none of them were all that close. She did wonder what it was Alex had called to discuss, though... and why he'd done it now. She grimaced. Figures; even when I get an invitation to dinner, I still have to fix myself something.
    Avatar by Ifni. Thanks!

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2005

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Gabriel Teske

    "Fine" Gabriel scowls at the police office and walks off. I'll never get to work on time now. He phoned up and made an excuse. And now I've got a whole day to do what I want. Gabriel knew what he wanted. To master this new power. He decided to head to somewhere abandoned, where he could test the limits of his abilities.

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Wiz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    LA

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Dr. Harold Smith a.k.a. Pulse

    After quickly establishing that the sword-dude is no immediate threat, he turns his glider and heads back to the scene as Katana leaps from building top to building top toward the hospital. He dives down, keeping an eye to the shadows, just in case the Reaper is still around. Landing the glider, he climbs off and goes over to the mauled police officer. He looks him over and does what he can to stabilize the man.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Treat Wounds: (1d20+3)[4]


    Edit: Whoops, I spazzed on the roll and only added my ranks without wisdom bonus. Add another +6 to that, if you can.
    Last edited by Wiz; 2007-11-01 at 09:37 AM.
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Not in Trogland

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Michael continues running to the hospital. If he gets thier he'll look for a docter and ask what he's meant to do.

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    “The Man”

    Your secretary is allowed in

    Dr. Harold Smith a.k.a. Pulse

    You do a fairly good job of patching the officer up, or at least bought him a little extra time for proper medical treatment to be administered. When you finish patching up the wounds, you notice the 3rd officer who was panicking a momebt ago edging closer to you, but he's still about 10 feet away. When you look up he says "I... I'll take it from h-h-here... Th-Thank you." and assuming you allow him, he goes over and patches Larry's wounds, making no effort to stop you from leaving if you so wish.

    Emperor Demonking

    Once you get to the hospital, the doctors say that they need to run a few tests to see if you've been affected or not, which are mostly blood tests and MRI's. Once they're all done, they say you should talk to Jen, a nurse who was affected by the gas herself, to see if she can help you manifest your powers, if any. They also say that you're not the only one who hasn't exhibited any powers, or changed, but was still in the blast radius. Those that weren't took it as a blessing and went home.

    If you go in search of Jen, you find her in a waiting room, breathing a little heavily, looking at the television with other people. The TV is set to the press conference that is about to start.

    THE PRESS CONFERENCE


    As it gets closer and closer to the starting time of the conference, more and more people start showing up. Among those people are some of those who have been affected, and they take their spots atop nearby buildings or hovering in midair to watch the speech. A few of them even stand amongst the crowd, but none of them do anything to interrupt the procession; they all just watch and wait.

    Finally, the Mayor steps out of City Hall, flanked by several members of his cabinet, and even more body guards. He notes the presence of the Supers dotting the lawn, but he looks like he was already expecting some of them to show anyways. As he approaches the podium, all whispering and chatter die out almost immediately, and then he begins his speech.

    My beloved Rainport; I am here to address you during the crisis that has arisen just this past evening. What we have before us is a challenge unlike any other in the history of humankind. However, if there is just one single thing that I have learned in my life, it is that when you meet a challenge head on, and over come it, you become stronger because of it. This is just one more challenge that we, as a united people, need to overcome. Our nation has been beset through its turbulent history with difficulties associated with racism. As a people, we have fought against the inner demons that look at the color of another person’s skin, or the shape of their bodies, and caused us to make assumptions that in our eyes made them less of a human being. Today, we are not faced with such trivial differences, but truly amazing distortions of the human form. I have walked through these hospital wards and seen people who are not merely of another race, but seem to be an entirely new species in one individual. What we face here is the opportunity to truly define the nature of a human being… what is in their mind and in their soul. Another man might have walked through this hospital and seen monsters. What I saw was my fellow citizens of Rainport, people who through no fault of their own have suffered a change that may well be beyond our ability to undo, but they are all still people. Furthermore, those people in the hospital right now, put their faith in me, just as you did, when I was elected, and I shall NOT turn my back on them.

    But our challenge goes beyond a mere change in some people’s looks. Also the people who have changed have developed some amazing abilities, things that seem to defy our conventions of what we thought to be possible. We are on the cusp of a paradigm shift, and we have the opportunity to look beyond the assumptions that made up our old world, and see into a new world that presents what seem to be infinite possibilities. Individuals have been gifted with powers that might seem to be magical in nature, something out of fantasy or mythology. More appropriately, perhaps, many of these gifts resemble what we might see in the modern fantasy of comic book superheroes. As a youth, I was a fan of Captain Amazing, Dr. Destiny, the Green Ghost, and countless other fictional heroes… and yet, there are people in this building who have powers that exceed those of even the most powerful fictional superhero imagined. Naturally, this raises a concern in everyone’s mind. For in a world of super heroes, there are also the super villains. It might be everyone’s wish that those who received these powers would be benign in their nature, but it is an old axiom that power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. I do not mean to put down the moral character of the people affected by this accident, and I truly hope that most will not use their abilities in a selfish manner, but the potential for abuse of these powers can cause the unchanged to be fearful, so I caution all who have such abilities be judicious in their use. Those those affected I say this: You have all been given great gift, and for the good of all humanity, I ask that you do not squander them.

    Since our fair city is in such a state of unrest, I have communicated with the governor of our fair state, and together we have decided that, for the time being, a state of emergency shall be declared in the city of Rainport. It is my hope that our situation will stabilize soon, and the National Guard, which has been mobilized, can return to their civilian lives. Until that time, and until the state senate makes legislation on what is to be done regarding those mutated by the chemical agents, it is the declaration of both myself and the governor that any use of these supernatural powers on another citizen against their will shall be considered an act of assault at the very least. Any forceful violation of the sanctity of another citizen’s mind made to their detriment shall be treated as an act of rape. And any harm to another citizen using these powers shall be considered assault with a deadly weapon. We do not condone vigilantism, and if anyone wishes to use their gifts to assist the law enforcement authorities, we ask that they voluntarily register themselves at the Police Headquarters, where we are gathering a database of information in order to assist those affected by this accident. Those who wish to protect their “real” identies, may register under an alais if they so wish.

    I urge all citizens, both those affected and those not, to remain calm, and for the present time, continue about your daily affairs. I have been informed there is no danger of lingering contamination from the accident. If you were within range of the accident and no changes have manifested, then it is likely that you have not been affected. If such manifestations occur at a later point, then it will have been because of previous contamination. There is strong evidence to show that those who have been affected are not ‘carriers’ of a condition that can be passed on. I urge all citizens to react to these affected individuals with sympathy and concern, and I urge all affected citizens, particularly those showing no outward sign of change, step forward, inform us, and assist the city government in helping all of you.

    I have been informed that one individual among the affected wishes to address the city, and so, I would like to present the individual who calls himself, “The Man.”


    At the last part, he stands aside from the podium and gestures towards City Hall, where "The Man" emerges. The Mayor claps appreciatively as he approaches the podium, and shakes his hand when they draw even.

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BloodyAngel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    New York

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Tasha

    "What the heck is this now?" Tasha yelled over the music blaring on her ipod at the traffic jam in front of her.

    It was as if there was some sort of mass riot or protest that just HAD to be right on her way home. An hour or so of reading people's minds at the city park had been more than enough... especially after she found out that the nice older man who was sitting nearby reading a book was imagining her sitting in his lap and calling him daddy. *Shudder*

    "Come on! Move!" She yelled to no avail, smacking her hands down on the steering wheel.

    She dipped into the mind of several people crossing the streets with hastily written signs saying things like "Human rights are for humans!" and the like. Their thoughts told her that they were going to some press conference nearby to protest what had happened. In their heads she could feel fear. Fear of people who could do things that couldn't... Fear of people who were not like them... and how that fear had turned into anger and hate. She crept out of their heads and parked her car hastily (As if anyone cared about her being in front of a fire-zone at the moment) so she could follow. She had no intention of joining the anti-mutant outcry... but the men had heard that among the speakers at the conference was at least one honest-to-god mutant. This she HAD to see.

    Tasha slipped along after the men, who ended up joining the rather large crowd that was gathered around City hall to witness the historic event. As she pushed attempted to push towards the front with her impressive 5' 1" frame, making little progress, she heard the mayor speak... his voice broadcast over the crowd.

    Every man and woman there listened to his words. Tempted though she was to listen in on their thoughts, Natasha held herself in check... Doubly so when he mentioned the part about violating minds.

    How could they know? Has someone else already showed up who can read minds? Are they just taking guesses and covering all their bases? If there is someone else here who can read thoughts... can he tell that I can do the same? Damn it! This is going to ruin everything!

    As her train of thought dragged on, the mayor finished his little speech. He spoke kindly enough, and Tasha did not feel confident enough to try to read his thoughts to see if his words were the truth. With that, the mayor called out who she had really come to see... The mutant who was to speak. She looked him over cynically as he walked up to the podium.

    This is him? He doesn't look dangerous. He looks like some guy from an underwear ad. She thought to herself with a muted laugh, Is that music? Why the hell did they give him theme music? This has to be a joke.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

    Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Glawackus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Andrew/Vox Populi

    Wishy washy, Andrew thinks. I'll have to check into things, see if there are any hard-liners in City Hall that disagree--there must be.

    He coughs once at the announcement of The Man to hide his surprise. What?! Is he one of the supers? How?!

    He scowls at this thought, and leans back a little in his chair to watch what happens.
    The Tenth Doctor and the TARDIS by Ceika.

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PlasticSoldier's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Right below TPAM
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Hey guys I'm starting to get headaches so were going to have to stop using all this power.
    Well I have to do what I have to do...

    Orig @ Conference

    Orig. walks a few blocks away to a secluded area and waits for #2 so they can reform.

    Clone #1&2

    After pondering the recent developments for a few seconds #1 answers "Sure, sounds okay. Josh I won't be needing a ride anymore so you can go home.". At this dismissal #2 heads back to the conference and walks over to where Orig. is. "It was fun while it lasted." "I know... hug."
    shortly after touching a familiar electric charge grew up his arms, which he still had wrapped around an invisible person for almost a minute before sitting down in the truck and watching the rest of the speeches.

    Clone #3

    "Yeah I've been here for about 20 minutes seeing if there was anything I could do to help. you probably recognize me from when I was reading the hospital's records nearby. But then again you could remember me from when I was driving here."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •