Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 1506

Thread: A New Chance

  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Wiz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    LA

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Dr. Harold Smith a.k.a. Pulse

    Pulse nods, "You take over, officer, I'm sorry I couldn't subdue the Reaper this time..." He glances at the officer, "The Reaper seemed to think himself death personified, and seems to have powers to fade into shadow. If he learns the officer is still alive, he may want to finish the job. You may want to alert the hospital to keep your friend in a room with diffuse lighting..." He pauses, pondering, "Also you might want to tell your sergeant to make sure all your men have magnesium flares on hand." He hops onto the glider and takes off silently into the sky, leaving a trail of smoke.
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Tar Palantir's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Listening to the mayor's speech, the Reaper smolders with anger. This presumptuous mortal would pay for his arrogance. Shifting to find a clear line of sight, he shifted out of the shadows, his glowing red eyes causing gasps among the crowd. He turned to the mayor and raised his hand. "Your terms are denied," he hissed, and sent tendrils of fear wraping around the politician. He then remerged with the shadows and became invisible once more.

    Summary: Emerge from the shadows (free action), fire fear beam as standard action, then reenter the shadows (also free action). 6PP total.
    Spoiler
    Show

    RangedTouchAttack - (1d20+8)[12]
    Thanks to Thormag for my Legion avatar.

    Current Characters:

    Lily Nightingale, a.k.a. Sparrow, in V for Victory (OoC)

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Raven T.'s Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Where Nature rules
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Alex

    Political bull, just like always. All he did was try to save his own position. Did he say anything about prosecuting those who caused the incident? No; he treats this accident as if it's the next best thing since sliced bread. I bet he wouldn't be saying that if HIS life were changed by the chemicals.

    Shutting the broadcast off before this..."The Man" creature wandered into the spotlight, he sat back and relaxed some. More's the pity. This just means that there will be minimal interference from the government during this time of transition. With the right leadership... he smirked some, they could return to the public light as a defender of the common man...as I see fit.

    Paying for his last coffee, he began making his way toward Bob's Sammiches. After all, they have an ox roast number to DIE for. Picking his order up, he heads home, munching the whole way.

    Something happens, though. He begins to feel sick. His skin is on fire and his organs feel like they are boiling alive. On top of that, he has a sudden craving for scotch. Keeping his composure, he makes it to The Tomato, a bar two blocks from his apartment famous for having a giant ketchup bottle with their logo on it out front.

    Two drinks later and he feels normal again. This chemical...it must degrade in the body and start dissolving tissues. Ethanol must be a stabilizing agent. Good to know; last thing I need is ANOTHER problem.
    There are those in this world who cannot abide women and detest their company; I do not number among them. Women are the charming sex, wonderfully unreasonable and meant to be adored.

    I met him in a swamp down in Dagobah
    Where it bubbles all the time like a giant carbonated soda.
    S-o-d-a, Soda

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PlasticSoldier's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Right below TPAM
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Orig @ Conference

    Edit: i edited this to much just read geez3r's post.

    Clone#1 @ Car dealer

    Once he owns the car #1 will head back to Ceiling-Mart pick out the most powerful portable screwdriver/drill and then check if the Gun section has silencers.

    Clone#3 @ Hospital

    Still talking with Frank...



    OOC: 64, 64, 64 Zoo Lane. :)

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Zimmia's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    the prison of my mind
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Raine

    "Oh my gawd," Raine gasped as a pile of mutants formed around the mayor, watching for whatever-it-was who had tried to attack. The TV didn't give a good picture but you could tell that there had been some kind of scrabble followed by more mutants joining on the stage. There was a brief pause and then someone else stood to give another speech.

    When it was over, Phoebe muted the TV once more then tossed the remote on the table. She shook her head but said nothing.

    What a load of crap,” Raine voiced for the pair. “I mean, sure it was sort of required for him to say something and anything he says is going to be uninformed at this point, but really! Where are the answers? Long term effects? How about an indication of what was in that goop in the first place?”

    Be at least a little reasonable Raine. Even if he had those answers they’re hardly going to let him tell the world. After all, information…”

    “…is power,” Raine finished. “I remember. I suppose he did what was necessary to try and keep some kind of legal integrity,” she added, "not that it was enough to prevent some idiot from trying to attack him at the press conference. Although, I suppose that if he'd been able to assassinate someone so quickly it would make for total chaos and anarchy in the city. Just what we need," she finished, walking into the bedroom and opening the closet door.

    Indeed. As we've already seen, this is going to bring out the best and the worst in people,” Phoebe replied as she moved to the kitchen and grabbed a yogurt out of the fridge. "I don't know about you but I don't feel particularly safe right now. Who's to say what nutjobs got mutated," she added. She peeled off and licked the lid before hunting in the drawer for a spoon. ‘I wish she would learn to put utensils away properly, ’ she thought.

    Some people are just generally messy,” Raine called from the other room.

    This new ability of hers is going to take some time to get used to – for both of us,’ she thought. “So what do you make of this ‘man’ dude?”

    Raine made an indelicate noise. "I’m surprised that he can pull himself away from a mirror in the morning,” she replied. “He looks sort of familiar though. Maybe my brother knows who he is. One thing is for sure,” she said reappearing in the kitchen, “he’s right that this is going to need leadership and research, preferably from someone who has more than their own personal interest at stake.” With this she picked up the phone.

    As Raine dialed, Phoebe watched her friend closely. Raine had changed and was now wearing a pair of grey linen trousers and a creamy white silk blouse. She noted that her friend had changed physically as well as this telepathy; her hair was glossier and her complexion spotless. She had been no small beauty before but now that was somehow refined, almost etherealized. Phoebe leaned against the kitchen counter to listen to Raine’s half of her conversation with her brother.

    Hi Eric, it’s meI guess you’ve heardI agree it’s awfulAlready attacking... I don't know about you, but... dangerous... need to try andmy thoughts exactly. Got to find what research they were actuallyexactly. I also don’t think thatgenuine, exactly! So what areyou’ve got to be kidding me Ericmere flash in the panC’mon Mr Scrooge, this is importantI’m sure we can findwell I dunno, maybe five million sounds goodNo, I don’t thinkErick, C’mon, you know it’s the right thing to doAll I’m saying is we have a responsibility to our community and you know I’m rightOutstanding EricI knew you’d see it my wayI’m sure we can do it quietlyright, not create more of a media circusGreatAre we still on for brunch next Sunday? Excellent. Love you big brother, bye.”

    Raine hung up the phone. “That went pretty well,” she announced triumphantly.

    Oh yes I agree,” Phoebe answered in an odd tone. “You certainly were wonderful.”

    What the hell is wrong with you?” demanded Raine, narrowing her eyes to look at the woman.

    Why nothing,” Phoebe replied in that same oddly passive voice. “Just complimenting you on handling your brother.”

    Raine’s eyes went wide as she stared at Phoebe for several long minutes. Then Phoebe’s expression returned to normal and almost immediately to irritation. “I don’t know what you just did,” she seethed, “but you had better not do it again.”

    Raine was shocked. “Phoeebs I don’t even know what I did, if I did anything at all. What happened?”

    What happened is I was standing here listening to you sweet-talk your brother and then I found that everything you were saying was fascinating and intriguing,” she shuddered theatrically.

    So what if you agreed with me?” Raine asked. “It’s not like I was saying we should jump out the window you know.”

    Yah but don’t you see how potentially dangerous this is,” warned Phoebe seriously. “You didn’t intend to include me in your persuasion efforts but you did anyway. In that way you're more dangerous than these idiots who want to take over the world or some such crap! If you’re serious about not announcing to the world you have some of this ‘power,’ you better be prepared to be on guard at all times.”

    Gawd Phoeebs, I’m sorry. I didn’t realize… are you akay now? You don’t feel… weird or anything?”

    I seem to have recovered,” Phoebe answered wryly. “But let’s try not to let that happen again. The gods themselves only know how big your ego’d be if I were to agree with you constantly.”

    Raine made a face. “You sure sound normal to me,” she said with a grin as she grabbed her hairbrush and faced herself in the mirror. In a surprisingly small space of time her hair was done. “Well, what are you waiting for, let’s go!”


    And where are we going?”

    To crash Eric’s barbeque of course,” she answered with a grin. “You don’t think I have the bank balance to just write a check for five big ones do you? But I know someone who does. And after that I want to stop by and see Professor Horton at RIT and give him the good news.

    All right Raine,” Phoebe responded as she gathered her stuff. “But so help me if you do that thing to me again you are going to be a very lonely, disorganized woman.”

    Raine was already through the door to the condo by this time but she turned to smile and wink at Phoebe.

    Trust me.”
    Last edited by Zimmia; 2007-11-01 at 09:08 PM.
    Poet Laureate of House Kato

    I have Ink to thank for my great avatar. Thanks!

    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Okay, I got a bit of catching up to do.

    Legion

    #3 - Frank looks at you as if you should be saying something, but realizing you're not, he asks "So are you going to tell me your name or what?"

    Ceiling Mart - They've got quite a selection of power tools, but no silencers.

    Trigga please - They do have silencers, but it's not something they just hand out over the counter. It'll take probably about 1-2 weeks to go through the whole rigmarole of getting one.
    Spoiler
    Show
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suppressor#Legal_status




    The Press Conference

    Just as the Mayor finishes his speech, the Reaper attacks, but the fiend's attack misses its mark. The Mayor's body guards start to spring into action, but before they can, there is an explosion between the Mayor and City Hall. As it becomes apparent, the explosion was not an attack, but a mutant, who is composed of fire from head to toe, teleporting to that spot. It is facing City Hall and turns towards the Mayor who is still at the podium and says "Mr. Mayor, you said you had our backs, but this time I say I have yours. That shadow shall not attack you again without first going through me."

    After a moment's pause, a white blur streaks next to the fire-man and standing to the right of him, still in her nurse's outfit, stands Jen "And me. she adds.

    Out of the crowd comes a man in a black costume with a blue half mask on and a blue T emblazoned on his chest, and he draws even with the other two, this time on the left of the fire-man. He cracks his knuckles before saying "And me."

    Next, what appears to be a giant wolf, and a blue mote of energy (the same one from the hospital) come onto the scene, behind the first 3 but still looking at where the Shadow disappeared. They similarly show their support for the Mayor.

    The Mayor nods in appreciation, and signals for The Man to deliver his speech.

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Raven T.'s Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Where Nature rules
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Alex

    After picking up some wine and other fine alcohol, he makes his way back to his place. It was decorated fairly sparsely, a stylish couch, chair, and entertainment system in the living room, the den consisting of a large desk, powerful computer, and a huge window that overlooks the western skyline and out into suburbia. His bedroom was just a bed and a nightstand; all his clothes hung in his closet.

    He spent the rest of the afternoon fixing dinner. It was going to be simple fare...buttered pasta, a lovely meat sauce, garlic bread, a light salad, wine, and some fresh cookies for desert. Setting up a table in the den (which had a lot of room in it even with the desk,) he waited for his distinguished guest to arrive.

    Hopefully, she would be prompt. It was considered bad form to arrive to a meal late...but even worse to throttle someone because of it.
    There are those in this world who cannot abide women and detest their company; I do not number among them. Women are the charming sex, wonderfully unreasonable and meant to be adored.

    I met him in a swamp down in Dagobah
    Where it bubbles all the time like a giant carbonated soda.
    S-o-d-a, Soda

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground
     
    The_Snark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Judith

    Judith watched the press conference with a sort of bored interest. The Mayor didn't actually say much. She'd been hoping there would be more information about the actual mutations and what they should do about them; most of it was the polite political rambling that happened even to good politicians.

    The attack startled her, as it doubtless did everyone; once it becomes clear it was more of a symbolic gesture than anything else, she slumped back. Just what we need. Some crackpot to make people paranoid. Hope they don't expect everyone to join the force. I'm still just an ordinary person... or, two ordinary people, anyway. Once again, actually thinking of herself as being more than one person made her shudder slightly. Both of her.

    Glancing at her watch (the one at the cafe was wearing it), she realized it was getting close to 6. Better get going. She was surprised to realize she still felt hungry. Well, she couldn't very well eat before dinner... did eating feed both of her, she wondered? Maybe that has something to do with it.

    Lacking a car, she takes the bus to Alex's address, and is a couple minutes late as a result by the time she finds his apartment and knocks on the door. She is dressed a little more nicely than usual, although not formally, in a gray shirt, knee-length black skirt, and coat.
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2007-11-01 at 08:02 PM.
    Avatar by Ifni. Thanks!

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PlasticSoldier's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Right below TPAM
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Orig @ Trigga Please Gun-Store

    2 weeks? I probably should have gotten one a while ago but now is an acceptable time. I then search through the store and buy 2 Laser sight thingies, 1 Rifle Scope that can fit on an Ak-47, and then ask the gun dude "Hey I was wondering how I would go about getting silencers, I need one for a beretta 92F and if you have any in stock I also have a rifle I'd want one for?"

    Clone #1 @ Ceiling-Mart

    After having no luck in finding silencers #1 walks over to the tool section and asks one of those mildly disgruntled "associates" Hey I'm entering this competition where people build replica catapults and see who can shoot the farthest, and I was looking for a portable drill so that I can make holes for all the little axles that are part of the mechanics, but it needs to be strong enough to pierce maybe an inch of steel, do you guys have anything like that?
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll0]


    Clone #3 @ Hospital

    "Oh, my name is Josh... my powers are super fast healing and I can create copies of myself. So do you want me to get you some coffee or soda? It's probably safer for me to walk than for you to try and teleport.

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PlasticSoldier's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Right below TPAM
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Screwed up a roll bluff - (1d20+14)[20]

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Tar Palantir's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    The Reaper snarls at the costumed do gooders that decided to interfere with his will. He emerges from the shadows farther in under the shade of city hall. He sneers at the heroes, "Come and face me if you dare! I am the Reaper! Death follows in my footsteps, and already the streets of this city lay stained with the blood of the innocent! Stop me if you can, fools!" He then sends his tendrils of fear to strike at the flaming hero.

    Spoiler
    Show

    RangedTouchAttack - (1d20+8)[12]
    Thanks to Thormag for my Legion avatar.

    Current Characters:

    Lily Nightingale, a.k.a. Sparrow, in V for Victory (OoC)

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BloodyAngel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    New York

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Tasha

    "Holy...." Was all Tasha could mutter as a horde of mutants burst upon the scene. She was glad now more than ever that she had chosen to be liberal with her powers. Despite the shock, she stayed relatively calm, instead pondering something fairly irrelevant and absurd at the moment.

    Where the hell did that one get a lame costume so quickly? Did he just have one sitting in his closet from last halloween.

    The mayor's would-be attacker seemed determined to get himself killed or arrested. Declaring that he was an evil murderer AND crazy? She did her best to get clear of the lunatic and the other mutants. Death did not sound like a fun proposition.
    Last edited by BloodyAngel; 2007-11-01 at 09:12 PM.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

    Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Raven T.'s Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Where Nature rules
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    OOC: It's not necessarily this late for everyone else; The_Snark and I are moving on to a later time, mostly because this is going to take a while.

    Alex

    "It's open." Like someone would be foolish enough to rob him now...

    Alex stood in the den, just off the doorway. The setting sun cast an eerie glow over the room. Only his outline is recognizable, but it is obvious he is standing with his back toward her. "Although you are late, I can forgive a little tardiness. Public transit is never as reliable as we would like. I also hope you like what I have prepared for dinner...I could not remember if you had any food allergies.

    "As you well know, the entire face of Rainport has been changed. These...mutations that have been manifesting as a result of poor business practices and shoddy safety records have been all over the news. We stand on the edge of a new epoch, for good or for ill. I imagine that you have at least a passing knowledge from that joke of a press conference earlier today.

    "What you don't know, though, could kill you. Forthwind Shipping, the company that was storing the chemical, is going to wind up taking the fall for this, but they are not necessarily at fault. I have my theories as to the nature of the event, but they will stay with me because I would be telling tales out of school.

    But I would like to hear your take on the situation."
    Alex had always talked with his hands and every so often, to punctuate what he said, she could see his arms and hands making various expressions.
    There are those in this world who cannot abide women and detest their company; I do not number among them. Women are the charming sex, wonderfully unreasonable and meant to be adored.

    I met him in a swamp down in Dagobah
    Where it bubbles all the time like a giant carbonated soda.
    S-o-d-a, Soda

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground
     
    The_Snark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Judith

    Jude begins to remove her coat as Alex speaks. A half-grin adorns her face at his first words. Haven't changed much, have you, Alex? Almost like you invited me here to hear a lecture on Current Events. The coat is left hanging half-on when he mentions the day's events, and the smile fades. Well, of course he would mention it. No doubt everyone was thinking about it. Nothing to do with her in particular... except, why had he invited her tonight, it occurred to her to wonder? He must have closer friends than she.

    Her uneasiness not really appeased, she stops again with the coat dangling from one hand. Not that it isn't a common metaphor, but... he's not talking as though it's a metaphor. Finally, she hangs the coat by the door, walking a little further into the apartment. "Not even a hello for an old friend, Alex?" she asks, her light tone falling a little flat on its face. Alex tended to be focused, driven, and somber, yes, but this was a little strange.

    "My take? I don't know. I don't know much more than what's been on the news." She grimaces. Alex had hinted he knew more than most about the explosion. "All I could really tell you that they didn't mention at the conference or on the news is that there were other companies with chemicals in the warehouse. Probably some sort of reaction between two of them caused the explosion, but that's just a guess." She could go on, about how it was likely that the chemicals involved had probably belonged to different companies—hence the lack of knowledge about what would happen when they came into contact—but it was still just speculation. Besides, she was curious, too.

    "Why? What have you heard about it?"
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2007-11-01 at 10:40 PM.
    Avatar by Ifni. Thanks!

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    blennus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    “The Man”
    Didn't Happen

    “I too will join you brethren!” he exclaimed, and he rushed forward as a second dark beam seemed to streak out from the shadow. “Men and women of Rainport come to our aid! We cannot target this fiend so long as he is concealed in darkness, shine your lights, flash your cameras, and show him the true power of the Limelight!” he exclaimed as he approached the dark figure.

    Summary:
    Talk (free action), Move or double move (depending on distance) towards the shadow. Stop when 25 feet from him if I can get that close.

    OoC:
    Question, how dark are the shadows, and how much concealment does he have?

    Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Initiative: (1d20)[16](16)
    Last edited by blennus; 2007-11-02 at 03:47 PM.

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Raven T.'s Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Where Nature rules
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Alex

    "I do apologize, old friend. Yes, it has been some time, but the pressures of the business world have kept me from keeping in contact. Of course, you are more than welcome here. If you are thirsty, feel free to raid the fridge.

    "I have, quite possibly, heard more than you can fathom about the moment itself, but the surrounding circumstances remain in a fog. You wouldn't expect these people to PUBLISH records involving disaster-like events, especially not online. Any information than what I can give you is, as far as I know, is either trade secrets or mere conjecture.

    "The parent company who developed this chemical is called Balchem. In their 32 years of existence, they have been taken to court eight separate times, though only the most recent, an incident seven years ago involving malfunctioning ventilation systems, has ever been ruled on. The payout is a matter of their records and not published, but this seems to have fallen under the radar of most people.

    "An interesting side note is Balchem's profits have been slipping of late. They've been grabbing up other assets, sometimes taking huge losses. There's something big going on here, but it is impossible to pin down without being able to access the sealed records within Balchem's offices.

    "I wonder...do you happen to be among the affected by this event?"
    Alex stepped forward some, smiling friendly...but there is an undertone of creepiness within it. There has been no malice in his voice, though it has dropped into the calculating tone he often spoke in when the subject matter was business. You didn't get to his position without playing hardball.
    There are those in this world who cannot abide women and detest their company; I do not number among them. Women are the charming sex, wonderfully unreasonable and meant to be adored.

    I met him in a swamp down in Dagobah
    Where it bubbles all the time like a giant carbonated soda.
    S-o-d-a, Soda

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground
     
    The_Snark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Jude

    Jude shifted uneasily. Now there was a topic she would rather have avoided even if she'd been with a close relative. Not that she was particularly close to her remaining family. She wasn't used to the idea that this—what had Alex called it; an epoch-altering event?—was going to personally change her life. She didn't want to be regarded as out of the ordinary. And moreover, Alex's manner was beginning to disturb her. He had to loosen up sometime; she knew he used to be more casual some of the time. But not when it was business.

    "I... don't know, Alex. I live pretty close to the warehouse district, so maybe... hell, I don't know. How do you tell? I haven't started breathing fire yet or anything." She looks as if she was going to try to laugh at that last, but didn't quite manage it.

    To try to distract herself (and maybe him) from that line of inquiry, she took him up on his earlier offer, turning away and looking into the fridge. "Sounds like Balchem was up to something," she says back over her shoulder. "This, maybe—if they'd been able to sell it, they could have made a fortune. Wonder what they'll do now that it's out and about?"
    Avatar by Ifni. Thanks!

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Raven T.'s Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Where Nature rules
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Alex

    "'How do you tell?!' Maybe this will help you find out!" Alex steps forward some so she can see him clearly. Two fleshy tentacles with black tips whip out from behind him, writhing some. "I get the feeling you are leaving some things out of this; personally, if you did manifest something, WHAT your abilities are would be none of my business. However, if you DID become affected, would you want it? Would you consider it a blessing, a curse...or something different?"

    Alex smiles some, his tone becoming level again. "Come, let us eat. I did not ask you here to intimidate you; I invited you for dinner.

    "As to Balchem's next step, it is blatantly obvious: coverup. They will bury all information they have on this and pretend they knew nothing. If you caught the mayor's speech today, you would have noticed he said nothing about sanctions or justice for the afflicted."
    One of his new additions pours the wine, a lovely Pino Noir, while the other dishes up the food. His hands become occupied with buttering a slice of bread. "I would like to offer you...a job. With my work schedule, I am not active on the street or able to find out much of the 'common' man's thoughts. This is where I'd like you to come in. All I ask is that you be my eyes and ears on the outside and I will pay you well, based on both your need and the value of what you bring me.

    "What say you, Judy? Are you willing to aid an old friend in exchange for his aid?"
    There are those in this world who cannot abide women and detest their company; I do not number among them. Women are the charming sex, wonderfully unreasonable and meant to be adored.

    I met him in a swamp down in Dagobah
    Where it bubbles all the time like a giant carbonated soda.
    S-o-d-a, Soda

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground
     
    The_Snark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Jude

    Jude steps back in alarm at Alex's sudden step forward, both at his tone and at his revelation; she can't help but stare at the appendages as they whip about, slightly revulsed. Immediately, she wished she hadn't. How would she have felt if someone reacted that way to her affliction? She's also worried, though; aside from the physical change, this has obviously affected Alex deeply.

    She exhales, sitting down, and is silent as Alex returns to his calm, urbane voice, watching him a little warily and trying not to pay too much attention to the limbs serving her. She sits a few moments after he finishes, then gives her answer. "I... don't know, Alex. I can't say I wouldn't like to know more about this, and I know you do..."

    She looks down for a few moments, then back up, holdng her already half-empty wineglass. "I don't know what I'd feel about it if I were affected. I mean... hell, I don't know. How can you know how something will change your life until you've actually seen it happen?" She takes a sip—no, more of a drink—out of the glass.

    "I guess I could give it a shot, but why? I mean, what is it you're planning on doing about this?" She didn't think Balchem ought to get away with having another corporation taking the blame, and she wanted to know more about whatever the chemical had been, but at the same time, Alex was starting to worry her. She starts to eat the pasta; it's good, but it doesn't really take her mind off Alex.
    Avatar by Ifni. Thanks!

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Raven T.'s Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Where Nature rules
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Alex

    "Justice. Justice for those affected. I will find a way to make Balchem pay for what it has done. Regardless of how useful extra appendages are, this was forced on me and countless others out there. Balchem is no better than some sleazeball in a back alley raping unsuspecting women." He ate slowly, savoring every bite of food or sip of wine. The villain is always undone in the exposition.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff Check, just in case. I'm telling the truth, but not the whole truth.
    (1d20+13)[19]
    There are those in this world who cannot abide women and detest their company; I do not number among them. Women are the charming sex, wonderfully unreasonable and meant to be adored.

    I met him in a swamp down in Dagobah
    Where it bubbles all the time like a giant carbonated soda.
    S-o-d-a, Soda

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Wiz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    LA

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Dr. Harold Smith a.k.a. Pulse

    Harold lets the glider "engine" smokestick burn out, and lands in a secluded spot. Then keeping a feel out for anyone he changes out of his heavier outer garments and walks back to his house, providing some additional magnetic levitation to his glider which is folded into a briefcase shape. He arrives at home and immediately turns up the thermostat and puts a meal into the microwave to heat up. Going to the bathroom he steps on the scale and shakes his head, "The superhero diet... I've got to watch out for the calories my brain is burning..." As he lays out his costume, he stuffs a couple of high protein energy bars in the pockets and turns on the television just in time to get a replay of the mayor's speech. At the Reaper's appearance he just shakes his head, "That man needs some serious psychotherapy." He ponders what the mayor talked about. "I suppose I should speak to the police if I'm going to help... we'll see how anonymous they let me be."

    He fortifies himself with a large dinner, then goes into his garage and picks up some magnesium road flares. Testing his magnetic grip on them, he realizes he can't pick them up because their metal content is too low. He secures some metal bandings around two of the road flares, and replaces their striker caps with metal caps that he can manipulate. He pauses, smiling, "People believe what they see... and magnetism is fortunately invisible to most of them." Harold cobbles together a small device to put around the base of each flare, something that has a flashing red light and makes an occasional beeping noise. "There, that's what's holding it up... not some mysterious power we can't see..." He wipes down the flares and slides them into a small compartment on his glider, then goes to eat his lunch. After that, he checks his makeup again... fake nose, bushy eyebrows, darkened hair; reloads two ballbearings in his guns, making sure to wipe off any fingerprints first; and puts on his costume and once again sets out, taking his usual precautions.

    Airborne over the city, Pulse takes a deep breath through his scarf and smiles underneath it. Seeing the city as a panorama below him, flying above it, there is an incredible sense of peace. Up in the air, away from magnetic anomalies, he senses for the first time that in addition to manipulating magnetic fields he seems to be generating one at a skintight level. "I wonder what that does... perhaps I can actually grab hold of that and fly without simply lifting the metal objects I'm wearing..." Seeing police headquarters below him, he dismisses the question for now, and spirals down in a slow lazy way, waving to those who look up startled below him. Timing things perfectly so his smokestick burns out as he lands, he folds the glider up and carries it (again with a magnetic assist) as he walks up to the doors of police headquarters. He addresses the first officer or detective he encounters, "I've come to register to assist the police... you may call me Pulse."
    Last edited by Wiz; 2007-11-02 at 11:25 AM.
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

  22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Not in Trogland

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Michael was just about to say something when she ran off. He looked at the television "That thing needs to face justice." He said as he continued watching.

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    (This is a place holder for what happens at the press conference and any interaction I need to post with the other players. Oh and I apologize to you Emperor Demonking, it seems like every time you get ready to do something, someone else interrupts. You can get some character development in soon. The real thing will be posted in the near future, how near the future is depends on how fast I type. Don't be alarmed if I log out, I write this stuff in word first.)

    The Press Conference

    As soon as The Reaper issues his challenge, the fire-man cries "No more hiding coward!" and from his outstretched hands bursts a torrent of flame, twisting and writhing in the air. The Reaper reflexively puts his hands over his head to shield them from the flames, but they don't come. Looking around him, the Reaper notes what the true intent was. The flames are surrounding him, hovering in the air in a ring of fire, trapping him to that spot. Even worse for the shadowy figure is that the ambient light from the flames are keeping all the shadows from the building at bay.

    Once the Reaper is trapped in the flames, the glowing blue mote of energy move into attack saying "Don't worry, this won't kill you." A line of blue energy streaks from the creature straight at the Reaper.

    Spoiler
    Show

    [roll]7d6[/roll] lethal electricity damage , Ref DC 24 for half damage

    [roll]1d20+7[/roll] This is your reflex save

    oops, I forgot that the forum roller doesn't work with edits, off to invisible castle:

    First, damage: energy attack damage (7d6=24)

    Reaper Ref Save (1d20+7=22)



    The shock of suddenly being exposed must have thrown off your concentration as you are unable to dodge the blow.

    Just as the Reaper is recovering, he looks up and sees the costumed man (the one with a T on his chest) increase his size until he appears to be in excess of 30ft tall. He runs over to where the Reaper is, and drops a boot onto the Reaper.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Giant Stomp attack roll (1d20+16=33) quite solidly in fact
    Giant Stomp damage roll (2d6+11=19) and that hit is powerful enough to start a knock back, and with the collection of knockback feats this guy has, that would knock you back 20 feet into the ground and deal another 20 damage, but he's a nice guy and spends an AP to not kill you out right, and you are instead at -1 HP and stabilized.


    After a resounding thud that shakes the ground, the giant lifts his boot to reveal the Reaper. Jen dashes over to the Reaper's side and announces to everyone after examining him for a moment"He's alive, just unconscious, I'll go take him to the hospital and then return here to await my punishment." Jen lifts up the Shadow and then dashes off to the hospital (she moves fast enough that you don't take damage from the sun).

    The giant shrinks down to normal size, and the mutants turn to the Mayor, ready to accept their punishment for attacking someone else with their powers.

    The Mayor looks at them for a moment before turning to the microphone and saying "Why don't we decided this with a vote? Because of the declared state of emergency, we are allowed to speed up the legal process a bit, and because so many people are here, I think this qualifies as a jury of your peers. All those in favor of pardoning these 5 of all criminal charges say "I". A resounding "I" issues forth from the crowd. "All those opposed?" A few Nays can be heard throughout the crowd. "Motion passed. You may retake your seats if you so wish. Before we were interrupted, I believe someone else had a speech prepared, and it would be a shame to not let it be heard."


    Legion

    Trigga Please - Not even blinking at the slightly odd request, the old guy behind the counter bends down for a moment and returns holding a few forms. "What you have to do is fill out all of these forms, and bring them completed down to this office at City Hall." He scribbles 'office 527' on a scrap piece of paper and hands that to you with the forms. "After they do a background check on you, and pay for a license or two, they'll put a bunch of fancy stamps on those forms. Hand those completed forms back into me, and I can hook you up with nearly anything you want."

    Ceiling Mart - The oblivious employee shows you to heavy power tools section, where he shows you this behemoth of a drill, which must weigh 30lbs that could drill right through iron of that thickness; price tag of $672.99

    Hospital - Umm coffee would be nice... You can sense that Frank's a little uncomfortable talking to people.


    Pulse

    [You're a bit ahead of the current time, so that is why you see certain people here]

    When you walk into HQ, you get a few weird looks, but you get the feeling that you're not the weirdest thing they've seen today. The officer you ask points down a hall way saying "Third door on your left leads to a stair case, take that 1 level up, and the room directly across the hall is where they're registering people." You follow the officer's instructions, and come into a room with 3 officers sitting at a table, 2 of them are currently talking to whom you can guess are mutants (one of the two being the costumed man from the conference).

    You walk up to the free officer, who has 2 stacks of forms in front of her, you can see one says "Civilian" and the other says "New Alias".

    She looks up at you and says"I'm sure you'd rather be off doing something else, so I'll make this quick. Answer these questions honestly. Ready, here we go.

    Will you be using your powers while costumed or in a civilian identity?

    What is your name and/or alias?

    What are your powers?

    What do you plan on doing with your powers?

    Do you have any police, military and/or medical training?

    Do you have a criminal record?

    Are you interested in receiving Police training?
    Last edited by geez3r; 2007-11-02 at 03:31 PM.

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    blennus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    “The Man”
    This didn't happen either. What a shame

    As he stood facing the creature of darkness he stretched out his arms, and yelled “You… Shall… Not… Pass!” each word being punctuated with a thrust of his hips.

    Summary:
    Already rolled for initiative in prior post.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cause Blindness: Ranged Touch Attack- (1d20+3)[20](23)
    Last edited by blennus; 2007-11-02 at 04:14 PM.

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Wiz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    LA

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Excerpt from the research journal of Dr. Harold Smith...

    Spoiler
    Show
    In studying the life sciences - one universal principal stands out in regard to the Balchem incident. Myriad studies have uncovered that any random change to a complex system is almost universally to the detriment of that system. This has been shown in complex ecosystems as well as in individual organisms. Specifically, a random mutation to the DNA of a complex organism is like taking the blueprints of a 747 and randomly changing one aspect of the blueprint. There could be an extra seat, there could be a lack of windowglass in one passenger window... but the chance that the change will improve the aircraft is ludicrously small. Some changes (like the extra seat) may be more-or-less irrelevant, but it is always the greatest chance that such a random change will be to the serious detriment of the aircraft. So it is with DNA, and this has been proved time and again.

    So, how does this relate to the Balchem incident? Very simply... just looking at the basic facts, there seems to have been no deaths associated with the mutations. Those closer to the active mutagen suffered the greatest physical alterations, but none, as far as I can tell have died from it. All, however, whether physically changed or not have gained a great deal of power which, for the most part, is focused by mental ability. Therefore, only one conclusion only can stand out from this hypothesis... The changes wroght by the Balchem incident were not random! What factors actually did influence the changes is still, at present, a matter of speculation.
    Therefore, if this conclusion is accurate, then we know that this was no accident.
    Last edited by Wiz; 2007-11-08 at 04:41 PM.
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Tar Palantir's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    The Reaper laughs, then raises his hands above his head. "Take away your cursed light!" he cries, his eyes veiled to protect them, however little, from the glow of the flames. "I seek only to keep the balance! There can be no good without evil, no light without shadow, no life without death. How many lives will you save, heroes! How many more must Death then take, and who else shall take them if not me? Kill me now, and a greater shall come in my place, one who you cannot best! You must either kill me or free me, for the light shall slay me, and the shadows release me! I must maintain the balance between life and death, whichever side is stronger! For now it is you, but when you are weak, I shall be your ally. Mistress Death has given me my powers to stop the reign of chaos which fast approaches! Do not slay a current foe and deny a future ally! I beseech you, let me go!" He then curls up on the ground, whimpering in agony from the burning of his eyes by the hated light.
    Thanks to Thormag for my Legion avatar.

    Current Characters:

    Lily Nightingale, a.k.a. Sparrow, in V for Victory (OoC)

  27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PlasticSoldier's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Right below TPAM
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    It's pretty expensive but it will get the job done easily.Then tell the man these exact words... Orig began to narrate a sentence with #1 speaking it in almost the exact moment he hears it "Well it looks nice but I am not going to buy it unless it comes with a warranty or some kind of return policy." Then Orig changes topics and starts telling #3 Ok, some weird guy tried to attack the Mayor but he got his but kicked, and Jen took him to the hospital so try to end your conversation kindly and go search for him I don't think he'll ever be our friend but it would still be informative to study him.On it. #3 replies before heading off and getting a coffee and a Dr. Pepper heading back to Frank and saying "Here's your coffee, I'm sorry about this but something came up and I have to go but it was nice talking with you." before waiting a few seconds for a response. Similtaneously Orig. was heading off to the parking lot of City Hall where he stops to fill out all the annoying junk in the forms.

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Arkham Asylum!

    Default Re: A New Chance

    ((Sorry for not posting, my internet was down. Should be fixed for good now, but I've said that before.))

    "Yes, ma'am. I'd like to know if there are any ill effects from the powers, because my brother was given some and I want to know what's going on. Is it fatal?" asks Joe, hoping she doesn't call his bluff.

    SUMMARY: Try to bluff the nurse. ROLL: 1d20+11=15.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormthorn View Post
    The closest thing to humor in my previous RP experiance was a time when my bard was accused of rape. So...im new to that aspect.
    Spoiler
    Show

  29. - Top - End - #89
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    blennus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    While he was a bit disappointed at not being able to show off his sexiness on national TV, he nonetheless was thrilled that his speech was finally to be heard. As he shook the Mayor’s hand, his music blared in a triumphant tone. This was the moment he had been waiting for. As he turned to address the crowd, he ran his hand through his perfect hair, blew on his nails, polished them on his chest, took a closer look at them, then smiled a dashingly and began, “Ayyyyyyy!” As glow around his body flared, he felt his awesomeness and sexiness multiply and radiate outward. He could feel the audience’s stares locked on his divine form, as he began his speech.

    Spoiler
    Show
    “Friends, mutants, countrymen lend me your ears, your minds, and other hearing organs. It is with great anxiety and also great pleasure that I am able to join with you today in what will go down in history as the dawning of the greatest age in both human and mutant-kind. The world is very different now. For man holds in his mortal hands the power to transform all forms of human life. With the dawning of this new day, a new form of life has evolved. Rather than millions of years, it has taken mere moments to transform humanity forever. This is a breathtaking pace, and such a pace cannot help but create new ills as it dispels old, new ignorance, new problems, new dangers, as today’s events have surely shown. However it is my firm belief that the opening vistas of new relations between mutant and humankind promise high costs and hardships, as well as an even higher reward.”
    “So it is not surprising that some would have us stay where we are a little longer to rest, to wait. But this city of Rainport, this country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them. This country was forged by those who moved forward--and so will the future of human and mutant kind be forged. William Bradford, speaking in 1630 of the founding of the Plymouth Bay Colony, said that all great and honorable actions are accompanied with great difficulties, and both must be enterprised and overcome with answerable courage. If this capsule history of our progress teaches us anything, it is that man, in his quest for knowledge and progress, is determined and cannot be deterred. The march of evolution and will go ahead, whether we join in it or not, and it is one of the great adventures of all time, and no nation which expects to be the leader of other nations can expect to stay behind in this inexorable march forward in the progress of humanity. The world will little note nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what will be done here. Thus it is for us to be dedicated to the great task remaining before us – the formation of the foundation of mutant-human relations for generations to come.”
    “First to my fellow mutants I now say that in the process of forging our rightful place in society we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Today’s events may have had a detrimental effect on Mutant Human relations for years to come! Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for power by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred. We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline. We must not allow our creative powers to degenerate into physical violence. Again and again we must rise to the majestic heights of meeting malevolent forces with our own powers. We have all witnessed from the events that occurred here just moments ago, that those that use their powers for personal pleasure and gain only serve to hinder our cause. Their blindness and selfishness, their small-mindedness and arrogance, not only put others lives in peril, but our very liberty is at stake! Their actions will be used to sow seeds of contempt and dischord and be used to deny our freedoms and our liberty! But today we have seen a victory over the long shadow that creeps over us. Let this be an example of what happens to those that abuse their powers and attempt to deny us of our rights and our liberty.”
    “I say to you today, my friends, that in spite of the chaos and confusion of the moment, In spite of the violence we have just witnessed, I still have a dream. I have a dream that one day the docks of Rainport will become a safe place for the rich and the poor alike to walk forward without fear of crime or violence. I have a dream that one day mutant kind will be praised for its sacrifice and nobility, to free the oppressed and bring justice to the wronged. I have a dream where little human boys and human girls will be able to join hands and tentacles with little mutant boys and mutant girls and walk together as sisters and brothers. I have a dream today.”
    “This is our hope. This is the faith with which we must struggle forward. With this faith we will be able to hew out of the mountain of confusion a stone of hope. With this faith we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our city into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. Let us pledge ourselves to this path.”
    “And to the humans of this generation offer not a pledge but a request: that both sides begin the quest for peace, before the dark powers of destruction unleashed by science engulf all humanity in planned or accidental self-destruction.”
    “For I am a Mutant. Hath not a Mutant a heart? Hath not a Mutant happiness, joy, sorrow, anger, fear, passions? Rejoicing in the same joys, hurt with the same words, subject to the same pangs of sorrow, our hearts healed by the same means, warmed and cooled by the same passions and desires, as a Human is? If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison our hearts, do we not suffer? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? For while our bodies may differ, at heart we are the same, and we will resemble you in that.”
    “Let us not hurt or persecute one another, starting down that path of mutual destruction, but let us set off on the right foot, the right appendage - remembering on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness, and sincerity is always subject to proof. Let us never negotiate out of fear. But let us never fear to negotiate. Let both sides explore what problems will unite us instead of belabouring those problems which may divide us. Let both sides seek to invoke the wonders of science instead of its terrors. Together let us explore the stars, conquer the deserts, eradicate disease, tap the ocean depths, and encourage peace and harmony.”
    “And if a beachhead of cooperation may push back the jungle of suspicion, let both sides join in creating a new endeavour, not a new balance of power, but a new world of law, where the strong are just and the weak secure and the peace preserved. All this will not be finished in the first 100 days. Nor will it be finished in the first 1,000 days, nor even perhaps in our lifetime on this planet. But let us begin.”
    “In your hands, my fellow citizens, more than in mine, will rest the final success or failure of our course. And so, my fellow mutants: ask not what humanity can do for you - ask what you can do for humanity. My fellow citizens of humanity: ask not what the Mutants will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of all sentient life.”
    “Thus it is that I have a request for the scientific community. The question before us is one of a significant hazard to both human and mutant kind. For my own part I consider it as nothing less than a question of life and death; and in proportion to the magnitude of the subject ought to be the freedom of the debate. It is only in this way that we can hope to arrive at truth, and fulfill the great responsibility which we hold to mankind. Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards this city, and of an act of disloyalty towards the fundamental truths of life, which I revere above all political powers.”
    “Ladies and Gentlemen, it is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren, till she transforms us into beasts. Is this the part of wise men, engaged in a great and arduous struggle for life? Are we disposed to be of the number of those who, having eyes, see not, and having ears, hear not, the things which so nearly concern their temporal salvation?”
    “For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth -- to know the worst and to provide for it. I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided; and that is the lamp of experience. I know of no way of judging of the future but by careful study and research. Thus I beseech the scientific community, we must contribute funds to answer the following dire questions: Can Mutants reproduce amongst themselves? Are mutants a subspecies of human or an entirely new species? If so, are humans and mutants sexual compatible? Is the future of mutant-kind itself in jeopardy? What is the gestation period of mutants? Are mutant-human hybrids mutants themselves or do they inherit more human traits? What can we do to ensure that neither side is overwhelmed? Can we look forward to a single future as a joint species? There is so little we know, and so little time before the consequences of these unanswered questions start to affect us. Unless we have clear answers, we cannot prepare for the future. The relations between humans and mutants demand answers to these questions.”
    “To further mutant-human relations I propose to put forth a scientific experiment that may provide the means whereby the answers we seek may be brought to light. Indeed I am willing to donate not only my time and talents, but even my body to answering these questions. I am willing to sacrifice on my part, and sire offspring with the single women of this fair city. So too should the human and mutant women of come forth to donate their bodies to science and research. Now I do not suggest that I sleep with all of the women of this city”
    an audible “Awwww” is heard from some of the women in the audience. He places two fingers on his lips and points in there general direction while slightly leaning back. A sexy smile covering his face he wags his eyebrows and continues. “though it is not entirely out of the question.” Sighs and giggles are heard in the background.
    He resumes a face of determination and continues “In the majority of cases an in-vitro fertilization program will be used, so that the fertilization process can be monitored in the lab. For mutant couples that join the program, that may not be necessary. Now some may wonder why is it that I am so keen to start such a program; and to that I have only one answer, for the future of all mutant and humankind! If mutants and humans are indeed compatible, then our future is one! If, on the other hand we are not, we must realize that we are truly different species, and recognize that we must be even more careful of our future together. Am I making an unfair request of you? Never mind the manner, which may or may not be good; but think only of the truth of my words, and give heed to that: let the speaker speak truly and the judge decide justly.”
    “Finally I now invite the City Council to form a resolution to record its approval of the steps that will be taken and declare its confidence in the new forthcoming order. The resolution: that a Mutant-Human Relations Coalition be formed. This coalition should undertake to monitor all mutant related activity in the greater Rainport area, and should any activity be harmful to human-mutant relations, to take the appropriate action to quell any violence or crime. Further it is proposed that both humans and mutants be included on the committee, to best serve the interests of both parties. This party should be in direct contact with the Mayor, and work in coordination with the police at all times.
    To form an administration of this scale and complexity is a serious undertaking in itself. But we are in the preliminary phase of one of the greatest moments in history. The air battle is here this very day, and many preparations have to be made here, to stem the tide of violence and persecution that will surely come. The one known as Reaver has proved by his actions and made it abundantly clear that this coalition is not only a want but a necessity. As our first order of business we must quell such violence, and put forth the clarion call to band together and prevent more such tragedies.”
    Yet despite all setbacks, I take up my task in buoyancy and hope. I feel sure that our cause will not be suffered to fail among men. I feel entitled at this juncture, at this time, to claim the aid of all and to say, ‘Come then, let us go forward together with our united strength.’”


    He gives a final wink towards the women that were previously sighing, and struts down from the podium.

    Summary: Mostly the same speech. Updated for the Reaper's attack. Can’t we all just get along? Mutant Brothers, let us all use our powers responsibly. Humans, let us work together toward peace. Call for scientific research concerning mutant-human compatibility. Form MHRC (Mutant Human Relations Coalition)

    Spoiler
    Show
    Activate Aura of Charm (Attraction)
    Perform (Act): (1d20+23)[9](32)
    Will DC 27
    PP expended 4pp + 2pp/round

    Perform (Oratory): (1d20+2)[2](4)
    Use super style!
    Used Swaggering Bravado to reroll in Recruitment Thread
    Roll Result: 25
    Last edited by blennus; 2007-11-02 at 04:51 PM.

  30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground
     
    The_Snark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Judith

    She nods slowly. "I guess you're right." Not quite the same, because they didn't try to do it... they wouldn't have wasted whatever chemical they were working on, would they? She hadn't considered that someone might have caused the explosion intentionally, whether Balchem or something else. It would make sense... allowing two unknown chemicals contact, or storing explosives in the warehouse, would have been more corporate stupidity than she expected. Worth looking into, perhaps. "I'll see what I can find out. You have more business contacts than I do, mind, so if I hear something, it's probably going to have leaked from Balchem already." It'd mean contacting some of her less-than-legal old acquaintances, of course; the legal authorities probably wouldn't know anything that wasn't public, and wouldn't look kindly on her looking into this on her own.
    Avatar by Ifni. Thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •