Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 1506

Thread: A New Chance

  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    The Reaper

    After your little speech, for the first time, Bolt turns his back to you. He crosses his arms, as if in deep concentration. No one says a word for over a minute until Bolt makes a odd noise in his throat... he's crying. After another moment of silence Bolt speaks in a hoarser voice "Thank you. For telling me that. I will look into the matter."

    The Man, Legion, Emperor Demonking - Registration office

    The officer mutters something involving "idiots" and "dropped on their head". But other than that, don't really do anything, other than getting up and closing the window Legion jumped out of, without making sure he's alright or not.

    Just after the window just gets closed, another person enters the room asking if this is the place to register and if there are any telepaths. The middle officer replies that this is indeed the place to register, and so far no telepath's have come forward.

    Joe

    "Well we've got a pretty good selection here. That wall has our shotguns, the opposite wall has rifles, the remaining walls have our hunting accessories like targets and the like, and this counter here has the ammo and hand guns. I personally like the pump shotguns, which will run your roughly $250 -$400 a pop, though if you have money to burn, the semi-auto's will run you just over $1000 a pop. The rifle's are about the same price as the shot guns. Handguns run you $200-$300 a pop. Ammo is roughly $8 per 50 rounds for nearly everything." replies the store owner.

    Judith

    After taking about 20 seconds to get his eyes to focus on you, the boozer replies with a heavy slur "Yeeeah... yeah... Itshs... itshs been.... real badsh turday. Buts... itsh not jrust meh ish it? Badsh tings growin on turday."

    "Ethan"

    "Well at this point, the registration is just to collect data. If we can find a theme or something with how people are affected, it may help us in treating them. It would also help under disaster situations. For example, if someone could manipulate fire, they might be called on if the fire department was having trouble containing a fire."

    Pulse
    Spoiler
    Show

    OOC: I was just asking if you wanted to DM magic the scene if you didn't want to do any real character development, you know just like get the information and get on with your day. Seeing as how you had that in mind, it seems like we should go and roleplay the scene.


    You and your uncle make your way to a private room where you may discuss matters more openly. A waitress takes your orders for the first round with a moment or two, before closing the door to let the pair of you have some privacy.

  2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Arkham Asylum!

    Default Re: A New Chance

    "I'd like a sawed-off 12-gauge shotgun and 100 extra rounds of ammo, please." After getting his gun and leaving the store, Joe moved to the top of the hospital as fast as he possibly could and began scouring the outside of the building, looking for the Reaper's room, realizing it would be the darkest one with the blinds drawn.

    SUMMARY: Get the shotgun and 100 rounds, look for the Reaper's window. SEARCH ROLL: 1d20+5=13. Also, I can't find the stats for shotguns, what are they?
    Last edited by Xerxes Shadow; 2007-11-06 at 09:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormthorn View Post
    The closest thing to humor in my previous RP experiance was a time when my bard was accused of rape. So...im new to that aspect.
    Spoiler
    Show

  3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Wiz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    LA

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Dr. Harold Smith a.k.a Pulse

    Harold smiles, "So Uncle Bob. Remember how you always thought I was wasting my brains in applied sciences, that I should apply to the force as a detective, or even a forensic scientist?" He quirks his smile, "It seems that fate may be taking me that direction in any case..." He leans forward, "I've had a situation occur which has highlighted my abilities in this regard and the need for them." He picks up his martini and takes a rather large sip from it.
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

  4. - Top - End - #154
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PlasticSoldier's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Right below TPAM
    Gender
    Male

    smile Re: A New Chance

    OOC: Xerxes you need a license for guns and stuff. Also Reaper is super powerful in the dark so his will be pretty bright to prevent shadows. For weapons stats use the msrd specifically its section on weapons & Armor which by the way is in some weird format called ".rtf"

    Also geez3r I'm assuming some stuf about my guys if anything's wrong just tell me.

    Orig & Outside City Hall

    Orig. waits for a minute for his wounds to heal so that blood doesn't get on his new car, does a bow for everyone who saw his jump, drives to the hospital picks up #3, fuses with him and then parks his truck in his garage
    and shuts the garage door and after everyone is fused gets to work on the preparations listed below.

    #1 & Home Depo

    #1 puts all his new stuff in the van and drives back to his neighborhood keeping his head down and trying not to be recognized and when noone is watching my house parks it inside and fuses back together.

    #3 & Hospital

    As noted above #3 waits for Orig and then fuses back with him.


    Preparations

    1. Feeds his dog .
    2. Gets a dufflebag.
    3. Gets weapons (Ak-47, Pistol, Knife) and also: Those tire chains used for traction in the snow, a handheld mirror, wirecutters, electric tape, duct tape, & Red spray paint.
    4. Puts all the stuff he bought today in the van.
    5. Ties the tire chains into an 8-12 foot long chain.
    6. Plays with & takes dog for a walk.
    7. Practices speech on utilitarianism.
    8. Sets alarm clock for middle of the night. Approx 2 AM
    9. Goes to sleep.

  5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Arkham Asylum!

    Default Re: A New Chance

    OOC to PlasticSoldier: I stated in my post about going there that it was owned by a fence he knows... I doubt someone involved in the illegal buying and selling of goods will care about licenses. I suppose this should have had some real game content... ah well.
    EDIT: Come to think of it, a sawn-off is illegal anyway...
    Last edited by Xerxes Shadow; 2007-11-07 at 04:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormthorn View Post
    The closest thing to humor in my previous RP experiance was a time when my bard was accused of rape. So...im new to that aspect.
    Spoiler
    Show

  6. - Top - End - #156
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Raven T.'s Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Where Nature rules
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    (OOC: .rtf stands for Rich Text Format...the same format as Wordpad defaults to.

    I'm just going to conk out and do misc. little things until bed. Someone kick me when we get to Monday so I can go to work on time. )
    There are those in this world who cannot abide women and detest their company; I do not number among them. Women are the charming sex, wonderfully unreasonable and meant to be adored.

    I met him in a swamp down in Dagobah
    Where it bubbles all the time like a giant carbonated soda.
    S-o-d-a, Soda

  7. - Top - End - #157
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Tar Palantir's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    The Reaper nods respectfully, and says, "I thank you for listening to me. If her killer still walks free, then his life will be counted in hours if I am free to hunt him. I do not expect freedom, but if given I know how I will use it. I shall send mistress Death her own servants to join her in hell. Perhaps then when I die, there will be someone who mourns my passing." He falls silent, trying to remember any relevant details he might have forgotten about the past night.
    Thanks to Thormag for my Legion avatar.

    Current Characters:

    Lily Nightingale, a.k.a. Sparrow, in V for Victory (OoC)

  8. - Top - End - #158
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Zimmia's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    the prison of my mind
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Raine

    Mid afternoon found Raine and Phoebe frustrated. They had stopped by her brothers and picked up the donation check but the professor at RIT had flatly refused to have anything to do with them and rather abruptly ended their interview. Irritated, and with the rather large check still in her purse, they had stopped at a coffee shop to consider their option.

    "I don't just want to hand it over to the mayor," Raine mused. "He might be a nice enough guy and all, but the government just isn't going to be the group that's going to get us all answers. If they did find anything they'd probably keep it to themselves and cultivate us like lab rats."

    "The hospital?" Pheobe asked.

    "Maybe..." she hesisted. "I'd really like to see them in action before we decide."

    "Then what are we waiting for?"

    "They'll ask why we're there. Not great if you're trying to keep what happened to you a secret."

    "You tell them we're there to see if you can help out. It's a half truth." Phoebe's gaze hardened a bit, "I know you know enough about those."

    Raine flushed and then quickly swallowed the rest of her coffee. "What are we waiting for then?"

    The two women left the coffee shop and drove to the hosptial. "What's the plan?" Phoebe asked.

    "Well, Phoeebs, we watch from the sidelines as long as we can and then we ask to talk to whoever's in charge."

    Summary: Figure out who to donate research funds to.
    Poet Laureate of House Kato

    I have Ink to thank for my great avatar. Thanks!

    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

  9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground
     
    The_Snark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Judith

    "No kidding," Judy replies. "Crazy for everyone, I bet. You look like you've had it worse than usual, though, huh?" she asks, trying to prompt him subtly to elaborate and hoping he wasn't so out of it he completely missed the tone. If she were too obvious, he might clam up even with alcohol loosening his tongue. Would've been better if she'd caught him mostly sober, so that she could give him just enough to loosen that tongue without making him incoherent. Even if it would have meant paying for the drinks.
    Avatar by Ifni. Thanks!

  10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BloodyAngel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    New York

    Default Re: A New Chance

    "Ethan"

    "Can I, like... talk to one of the other mutant guys?" Ethan will ask awkwardly. "About... the tests and stuff? Or is that... not cool?"

    (Long story short... Ethan is going to do whatever it takes... including submit to the tests if he has to... to get put into a room with at least one other mutant.)

  11. - Top - End - #161
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    blennus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    “The Man”

    OoC: I’m going to assume that the questions asked by the registration officer are the same as before. Sorry for the long post. Didn’t have time yesterday, so I’m doing two days worth.

    As he strides up to the next open registration desk, the waiting officer looks up and starts to question him.
    "Will you be using your powers while costumed or in a civilian identity?
    “My dear chap, can you possibly imagine one such as I having a civilian identity?”
    “Right. And what is your name and/or alias?”
    He flourishes a bow, “I am simply, ‘The Man’, and I am at, your service”
    “Ehem, okay… What are your powers?”
    “I’ll be honest, I’m not altogether sure what my powers may be. I just do what comes naturally. There is only one power that I do know of. That is my absolute indisputable sexiness. There are times, that I can feel my awesomeness and sexiness radiate outwards, so that may be a possible power. Other than that I am not sure. I suppose I’ll find out by trial and error. If I do find anything else I’ll be sure to let the police know.”
    “What do you plan on doing with your powers?”
    “I plan to use my powers for the benefit of mutant and humankind. The initial use of my powers would be to strengthen human-mutant relations. After that, I will go to where my powers are needed most.”
    “Do you have any police, military and/or medical training?”
    “Unfortunately I do not, though I do not think that that will be necessary. I’m a lover, not a fighter”
    "Do you have a criminal record?"
    “Moi? A criminal record? How preposterous! Of course not. I cannot imagine…”
    The officer interrupts him “Are you interested in receiving Police training?”
    “Eh? What did you say? Police training? No, though I do thank your offer. As I said before I’m a …”
    The officer sighs, “lover, not a fighter, right right. Ok you’re free to go.”
    “The Man” strides out of the police headquarters, with his music blaring, and enters his Limo.
    “Well then let us be off. I am in dire need of rest, and I’m afraid that I may change back at any moment. Back to my apartment!”
    After they pull into the abandoned lot behind his apartment he swiftly runs back inside his apartment, as Angie follows him. Everything went far better than planned today. But there was still much to be done. “First Angie, I need you to buy a bottle of chloroform. I know the stuff is restricted, but if I change into Fauntleroy on one of my excursions outside, I need you to knock me out, and bring me back to the apartment. I must not be associated with him at all costs. Second, I want you to research and write up a list of possible financial backers for a bar that I’m planning on building. It’ll be a private club for the new mutant population, where they can go to relax. Somewhere they know they can go without being persecuted. Don’t worry about trying to convince them, just bring me a list, and I’ll personally visit the most promising ones. And before you go, I just wanted to thank you for all your help. I seriously need to give you a bonus”
    “Thanks.” She replies, and quickly leaves, after which he slumps down on his couch, and drifts asleep.

    Summary: Register, then go home. Have Angie buy Chloroform. Due to restrictions, probably won't get it immediately. Have her write up list of potential backers for a Mutant Bar. Then deactivate super form.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Angie does checks
    Knowledge(Business): (1d20+9)[2](11)
    Research: (1d20+9)[12](21)
    Last edited by blennus; 2007-11-08 at 11:33 AM.

  12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Not in Trogland

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Michael goes to register. What's my power again. Hieghtened mental functions. You have to say it larger thabn that.

  13. - Top - End - #163
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Glawackus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Andrew/Vox Populi

    Andrew returns home and puts down his things, and then pauses to wonder.

    "So let's say I really can make people like me more. I wonder if that's the limit, or if I can do other things with my mind?"

    He concentrates on opening the fridge to get the TV dinner inside, and the door quivers a little.

    Andrew grins to himself, and then begins to contemplate things.

    "Alright. Alright. Apparently that "Man" character has a similar power to mine...the persuasion ability. That's important to remember...he ought to be one of the first against the wall when...

    Is it really worth it, though? Tricking everyone into voting for me? With enough time and the right machinations, I suppose I could do whatever I wanted to. But that'd take all the fun out of it.

    For now, I'll play along with the Mutant-Human Coalition, I suppose. I don't know if informing the Mayor of my...abilities...is the best idea."
    Last edited by Glawackus; 2007-11-08 at 12:46 PM.
    The Tenth Doctor and the TARDIS by Ceika.

  14. - Top - End - #164
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Time for a mega post.

    Joe
    Spoiler
    Show
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawed_o...n#Legal_issues

    OOC: For future refernce, Search is used to search for something in your immediate vicinity, like for a certain document in a filing cabinet.

    Shotguns do 2d8 damage, can hold 8 rounds before needing to be reloaded as a full round action, and have a range increment of 40 feet.


    The store manager informs you that sawed off shotguns are illegal, and is therefor harder to get his hands on, but gives you a standard 12 gauge shot gun (to maintain some level of legitimacy) and the desired amount of ammunition, which you are able to hide in your trench coat. You find where they are holding the Reaper without too much difficulty. There are two guards posted outside the door, two inside the door, and there are 2 mutants in the room with Reaper (Bolt and Inferno), who appears to be conversing with them, but you can't hear the details clearly. After a moment, Inferno comes out of the room, floating about 2 feet of the ground, and he goes flying down the corridor leaving a warm breeze and a light smell of smoke in his wake (see below).

    Pulse
    Your uncle looks at you for a moment with a puzzled expression on his face, but then a dawning of realization spreads over his face, and he pales a little. " 'Highlighted my abilities'? Do you mean to say that you were in the blast? What can you do? Did you tell anyone else? Are you feeling alright?" He looks like he's going to explode from an urge to ask questions, but he calms down and sips his martini, waiting on the edge of his seat for you to answer.

    Legion

    OOC: AK-47's R' Us is sold out for the time being so pick another weapon.

    Everything else goes as planned.

    Reaper

    For the first time in a while, the fire mutant (Inferno) speaks up, his voice sounds a bit like a hissing a crackling fire, but something about it is off, but you can't quite place it. "It's not on our authority that you are being kept here. We were just considered the best men for the job. I'll let the big wigs know of what was said here. I'll be back in a moment. If you're not here when I get back, there will be hell to pay." At his last words, the flames licking Inferno's body turn a deep blood red before returning to their normal orange hue, before he flies out of the room and down the hall.

    Raine

    You head down the hospital, arriving 20-30 minutes later. You loiter about the waiting area for a while, taking in your surroundings. What finally draws your attention is 1 particular doctor that you see fairly regularly giving out orders to the other staff, which also report to him fairly regularly. The main doctor is now talking to 2 or 3 other doctors and a handful of nurses, who all seem to be trying to convince a certain nurse to do something. You can't quite make out what they're saying from this distance though.

    Judith

    The boozer takes another swig, but somehow seems a little more sober because of it. His slurring turns into a bit of an accent as well, he's made being plastered an art form. "Oh yah. Dat eksplosion vas partilarry my frault. A ceemrical in de varehouse vasn' 'upposed to be dere. Hy em gunna go to jail." He suddenly puts his arms on the table, and his head promptly falls onto them with a thud. He starts sobbing the last sentence over and over muffled into his arms.

    "Ethan"

    "Oh sure deary, I've got just the one for you. Let's see what room were they in....." the receptionist works on her computer for a moment "Ah here we go. She's in room 422. The far end of that hall, 2 floors up. She'll know you're on your way by now. Don't worry, she said she wanted to talk with anyone if they had questions."

    You find you way to the room quite alright. It looks like your standard hospital room with 2 beds. One is unoccupied, and in the other bed there is a neon green rabbit sitting on the pillow watching you.

    The Man

    Angie's preliminary search basically brings up a list of the people in Rainport that would have the resources to finance such a venture, and have financed similar ventures in the past. She doesn't have any real evidence for who would willingly fund a mutant bar, because no such evidence exists yet. Angie's list consists of about 25 people.

    Emperor Demonking

    You get asked the standard questions that everyone else has gotten asked:

    Will you be using your powers while costumed or in a civilian identity?

    What is your name and/or alias?

    What are your powers?

    What do you plan on doing with your powers?

    Do you have any police, military and/or medical training?

    Do you have a criminal record?

    Are you interested in receiving Police training?

  15. - Top - End - #165
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Tar Palantir's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    The Reaper nods as the flaming man leaves, slightly less uncomfortable, but still irritated by the flourescent lights. Flames reminded him too much of the sun for him to be comfortable around them. He speaks, partly to the glowing orb, and partly to himself, "What monster of a man will die and have not a single soul mourn his passing? I have never feared death before, but I fear death now. Not because of what I will find; I know death as well as any living man can. I fear to die with not a single tear to be shed over my lifeless corpse. I have decided now that I don't want to die now, alone and unloved. I want to live a life worth living, and die a death worth dying, when my time has come. Still I fear that it will never be." He paused, brooding for a few moments before speaking directly to the blue orb. "I don't believe I've asked you your name. You know mine, of course, or the only one that still belongs to me at any rate."
    Thanks to Thormag for my Legion avatar.

    Current Characters:

    Lily Nightingale, a.k.a. Sparrow, in V for Victory (OoC)

  16. - Top - End - #166
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PlasticSoldier's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Right below TPAM
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    ALL OOC

    In that case can i have a bolt action .22?

    Neon Green Rabbit I can just imagine it as the one from Monty Python jumping up and ripping Ethan's head off, that would be so cool...

    And just tell me when everyone is around the same time as me incase they want to interfere with my bank robbery.

  17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Wiz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    LA

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Dr. Harold Smith a.k.a. Pulse

    Harold doesn't bother to look around, he could easily sense if there was anyone else in the room and there isn't, but he lowers his voice nonetheless. "Yes, I was caught in the blast, but despite being close by I wasn't affected... obviously... I think because the material that might otherwise have hit me was vaporized first. I'm the mutate who registered himself as Pulse... with the guns and the flying machine." He pauses, fishing an olive out of the martini and eating it. "I didn't give a full disclosure, even to the police, but my powers are largely magnetic, and the devices I'm using are actually that ability. I don't trust anyone fully, Uncle Bob, except you, so I'm keeping some things to myself. A side effect of the magnetic powers seems to be an increase in mental abilities... and a shide effect of that seems to be an increased metabolism... I need more food and I get cold fathter." He drinks the other half of the martini, and pauses, shaking his head. "Are they making these sthronger here?"
    Last edited by Wiz; 2007-11-08 at 05:35 PM.
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

  18. - Top - End - #168
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Zimmia's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    the prison of my mind
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Raine

    Raine's eyes opeped a little wider at the doctor and others talking with the semeingly reluctant nurse. 'Enquiring minds want to know,' she thought as her brow furrowed in concentration.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Use 'listen in' to tap into their conversation. 2pp to activate 2pp to sustain. Will DC18 would save
    Last edited by Zimmia; 2007-11-08 at 04:44 PM.
    Poet Laureate of House Kato

    I have Ink to thank for my great avatar. Thanks!

    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

  19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Arkham Asylum!

    Default Re: A New Chance

    ((Yeah, I know what search is supposed to do, but I couldn't think of another skill that, you know, searches.))

    After inspecting the room from the hospital and the outside, Joe ascertained that he would need to take out the guards quietly. Using his new intellect to its full extent, a plan began to hatch in his mind. He began preparing for his mission.

    First, he went to the local super-mega-conglamerate-discount-department store and bought the most toxic cleaning things he could find. He went home and mixed it all together in a container, then fed it to a mouse he bought at the pet store. He felt kind of bad when it got horribly sick, but he knew his mix was working right. I can atone for the death of this mouse later, he thought, in an unusual burst of goodwill. After he disposed of the animal's body, he made some posters and pasted them to telephone poles all over town: MUTANT WANTED. SUBSTANTIAL BUT TEMPORARY CHANGE IN SLIGHTLY HUMAN BODY NEEDED. FOR DETAILS SEND EMAIL TO interestedparty@gmail.com.

    After setting up the fake email address, there was not much he could do but wait. He went about his normal day for a while, waiting for contact.

    SUMMARY: Incredibly awesome preparations for my mission. Broken down, I made and tested poison and put posters up for a mutant to change my shape. This is a devious plan indeed... [/foreshadowing]
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormthorn View Post
    The closest thing to humor in my previous RP experiance was a time when my bard was accused of rape. So...im new to that aspect.
    Spoiler
    Show

  20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Wiz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    LA

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Excerpt from the research journal of Dr. Harold Smith...

    It has always been a particular annoyance of mine when people use exact scientific terminology incorrectly. Scientists invent these words for a reason. The purpose of the jargon is to exactly name something; but science is plagued eternally by those who think they know what something means. For example, I am constantly frustrated with those who could not distinguish between venomous and poisonous. Sometimes an organism is both... but just because a rattlesnake injects a venom with it's bite, does not make its flesh poisonous to eat. And eating a puffer fish is inadvisable, however it cannot envenom someone with it’s body’s poison. Another word that I can tell will be a problem with me is mutant...

    A mutant is an organism that has undergone genetic alteration at the prenatal level, and which can pass this change on to its own offspring because the mutation affects the gamete-producing cells of the body as well as the somatic cells. The cells of those affected by the Balchem Incident have been genetically altered, but they are not mutants. There is no proof, firstly, that they can pass on these changes... that the mutations will breed true. It could well be that this genetic change has affected only the somatic cells of the body, and not the gamete-producing cells. Furthermore, unless a mother was exposed to the chemical while carrying a child, none of the so-called mutants had their genetic change prenatally. A more appropriate term for those affected by the Balchem Incident would be mutate... an organism that has been changed genetically at a post-natal stage of development.

    It is interesting that this chemical which caused these supposedly "random" changes caused a body-wide alteration to all the affected person’s cells simultaneously. Were this genetic-changing chemical truly a random thing, each cell of the body would be genetically altered in a different way... yet another piece of evidence for the "nonrandomicity" argument.
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

  21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BloodyAngel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    New York

    Default Re: A New Chance

    "Ethan"

    "You HAVE to be kidding me." Ethan will blurt out the moment he sees the thing.

    On the upside... if the rabbit is a telepath, unless it's doing a deep probe into memory... the thoughts it's picking up are mostly confusion and mild irritation at how utterly, mind-bogglingly absurd this mutant thing is. She was expecting something more X-men. This officially tops "the man" for the most absurd mutant power ever.

    "Uh... You're... a mutant?" Ethan will finally manage to say... a good minute after "he" sees the rabbit. "What are you? Like... beast boy?"

    (Congrats geez3r... you just broke my brain. )

  22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Reaper

    The blue orb answers "You may call me Bolt."

    Legion

    Congrats, you now have a .22, it does 2d6 damage, has a range increment of 80ft, hold one shot, and can be loaded as a move action.

    Pulse

    Your uncle sits in silence concentration for a few moments, thinking about what you have said, mulling it over. As an almost absent minded gesture, he downs the rest of his martini as well. After mulling the taste around in his mouth for a moment, he answers in a low voice "Nah, they're just about the same strength as always, why? Ah that doesn't matter now. It seems you seriously put some thought into this, coming up with your disguise and all that, so I doubt I can talk you out of it, but I urge you to be careful. That being said, do know the limits of your power? How much can you lift with your mind, or do you know how high your IQ has gotten?"

    Raine

    You can't quite listen in to all of the minds, but you gather that they are trying to get the nurse named Jen to go home and get some rest because she's been working there for the past 18 hours and they think she needs some serious rest. Jen doesn't want to go because "she's not tired" and there is still so much to do.

    Joe

    Make a Craft Chemical check to see how well you do it, and/or how well you don't kill/poison yourself. You normally can't do this untrained, but I'll allow it because you technically have a beyond genius IQ. However, I will still impose a -2 penalty to you because you shouldn't be doing thing untrained, which stacks with the -4 penalty for not having a chemical kit.

    Also, a Gather Information check would have been useful to, you know, gather the information of Reaper's whereabouts.

    "Ethan"

    You look at the rabbit, and it looks back at you, and then... it giggles. Just as your mind starts going deaf from it shouting "WTF!?" so loudly, the rabbit's nose twitches and it sneezes. Then, the fur starts disappearing, and the rabbit starts growing and changing until there is a girl sitting before you, or at least it was a girl. She was obviously one of the people close to the explosion and was heavily mutated. She looks quite similar to a dryad. She guess she is roughly 5'6" and her skin is very bark-like, but still smooth. She has an exorbitantly large amount of thick, wavy, green hair that goes about halfway down her thighs. She looks to be quite physically fit, and has some curves to her frame. She also smells like a combination of evergreen trees and flowers. She wears a cheery smile, and appears to be full of life. If you had to guess, you would says she's in her low 20's or late teens. Overall, she looks quite out of place indoors in a hospital gown.

    After reverting to her "normal form" she says "Oh poopie. I thought I had it that time." She notices you puzzled expression and explains "I can't stay in whatever form I'm in if I loose concentration... or sneeze."

    She repositions herself and brings the sheets up over her legs and sits up in bed. She motions to a seat next to her bed saying "Have a seat 'deary'" smiling.
    Last edited by geez3r; 2007-11-09 at 09:02 PM.

  23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground
     
    The_Snark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Judith

    Judith conceals her surprise. Jackpot. And right away, too... There's some satisfaction, too; she'd been right. "Whoah, that sounds bad," she agrees, slurring her speech a little too. "I mean, like, arrest you? They can't do that if it was an accident, right?" She puts a hand on his shoulder, patting it comfortingly.
    Avatar by Ifni. Thanks!

  24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Arkham Asylum!

    Default Re: A New Chance

    I got a 16.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormthorn View Post
    The closest thing to humor in my previous RP experiance was a time when my bard was accused of rape. So...im new to that aspect.
    Spoiler
    Show

  25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BloodyAngel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    New York

    Default Re: A New Chance

    "Ethan"


    "Deary?"

    Ethan will look at her in roughly as much confusion as before... Before finally just sitting down.

    Well... This makes slightly more sense than the rabbit, I suppose. Tasha will think to herself. She seems nice... if a bit odd, at least.

    "Uh... Yeah. Thanks." Ethan will stammer, unable to take his eyes off of, ironically enough, her hair. "I'm... uh... Ethan. I was gonna ask if you're a mutant... but that's kinda obvious, so... um... What's up? I've never met a mutant before. What's it like? How are the tests? Are they... like... forcing us to do stuff?"

  26. - Top - End - #176
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Tar Palantir's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    The Reaper nodded, commiting the name to memory. He then spoke, "If it is decided that I will be allowed to go free to hunt for your sister's killer, would you be opposed to fighting alongside me? I have seen for myself that you are rather powerful, and together we stand a better chance than either of us alone. If you would be uncomfortable working with me, I can't say I'd blame you. Either way, her killer will be found and held accountable for his crimes."
    Thanks to Thormag for my Legion avatar.

    Current Characters:

    Lily Nightingale, a.k.a. Sparrow, in V for Victory (OoC)

  27. - Top - End - #177
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    blennus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    “Fauntleroy”

    He woke up with a splitting headache. He was going to have to do something about these blackouts, but his online tournament was only days away, so he needed to focus on re-mastering and practicing his hotkey combinations. He only hoped that he wouldn’t black out during the tournament. He got up and opened the fridge, while cleaning his ears. He flicked a bit of earwax somewhere, and got out a bottle of “Champagne? What the… When the heck did I buy this crap? And who took my shoes out of the fridge? Where is all my stuff! My garlic spread? The curry leftover from two weeks ago? Yesterday’s Onion, Limburger and Bratwurst sandwich? My homemade Kim Chee?! My entire supply of Natto!? Even yesterday’s asparagus stir-fry? That wasn’t even moldy! All of my favorite smelly stinky foods! All gone! Who the hell has been through my fridge!”
    He stormed about his apartment when suddenly he noticed, that his underwear and sock pile was gone. He frantically searched under his bed and couch, all over the apartment, but to no avail. Who in their right mind would want to steal his underwear? It hadn’t been washed for over a month, so it couldn’t be all that valuable. I mean he’d heard of guys stealing women’s underwear, but month old dirty underwear from a guy’s apartment? He suddenly noticed that his drawers were closed and there wasn’t any bits of shirt and pants sticking out so he took a quick look, and lo and behold, his underwear, in his underwear drawer of all places. He was shocked. He didn’t know what to think. He couldn’t imagine anyone wanting to fold and clean all of his month old laundry. Even he wouldn’t do such a thing, even in his sleep.
    As he looked on at his clean and ordered clothing drawers, he couldn’t help but wonder what sort of lunatic would go to that much trouble. Obviously it couldn’t be him, he liked the dirty laundry, and besides, he hated washing. He only showered once a week for crying out loud, why the heck would he do his laundry before its time. So if not him, then who? Why would they get rid of anything and everything that was most aromatic? It no longer smelled like home in here. What? He glanced around and saw several scented candles around, as well as huge can of air freshener. He tore at his hair is frustration, and threw the airspray in the trash. There was something more to these blackouts of his. Something very suspicious, and even sinister. He was going to get to this bottom of this.
    At that moment Angie ran into his apartment. When she saw Fauntleroy her face froze in a look of surprise, and then horror.
    “Crap!” She started toward the door again.
    “Angie? What the hell are you here for? I thought you hated me. Especially after I … well never mind that. Why are you here. Do you know anything about what’s going on in this place?” His eyes widened in surprise. “Oho ho! It’s YOU isn’t it! This is your payback for all the pranks I pulled on you while we were in high school together! But why all this? Why now?”
    Angie with eyes wide open in surprise, opened her mouth, but didn’t say anything for a few moments. Then she mumbled incoherently “Um, umm, ummm. Can’t talk, gotta run. Bye” and hastily threw a piece of paper on his desk, then ran out.
    Hmmm. That was very, very suspicious, and her running away just seemed to confirm his suspicions. But why? He couldn’t comprehend what was going through her mind. He did kindof feel bad for being so mean to her during high school, but he had figured that she would have gotten over it by now. No matter, he’ll figure something out. He took a look at the paper, and saw that it was a list of names and phone numbers. Maybe he could get to the bottom of this. Or maybe it was part of an even more elaborate prank. He knew that he had to look into this further.

    Summary:
    Fauntleroy wakes to find his apartment cleaned, and suspects Angie. He's thinking of finding out what's going on.
    Last edited by blennus; 2007-11-08 at 11:13 PM.

  28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Wiz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    LA

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Dr. Harold Smith a.k.a. Pulse

    Harold blinks, looking at his glass, then he raises a finger. "Ahhh... fathter metabolism... I'm abthorbing it rather fath... faster. I'll... have... to... be... carful... about... that..." He takes a deep breath, "Ith's difficult to measure how much smarter a person is, though I have a strong feeling it is quite above normal. As far as the limits of my abilities, I can lift several hundred pounds of metal, but I usually throw small ball bearings at my enemies, from my guns of course." He chuckles and then shakes his head. "Interesting... I get drunk very fast, and sober very fast." He looks at his uncle, "So, since you know who I am, I thought you could call on me if you needed me, including for examining evidence. My detective abilities should also be improved by my increased intelligence. Perhaps if there is a case you're having a problem with, it could illuminate for us both how much smarter I've become."
    Last edited by Wiz; 2007-11-09 at 10:40 AM.
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

  29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Not in Trogland

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Will you be using your powers while costumed or in a civilian identity?
    In a civilian identity
    What is your name and/or alias?
    Michael Ross
    What are your powers?
    Advanced mental functions
    What do you plan on doing with your powers?
    Live my life, solve crimes.
    Do you have any police, military and/or medical training?
    No
    Do you have a criminal record?
    No
    Are you interested in receiving Police training?
    Not really.

    "Can you tell me who has signed up already."

  30. - Top - End - #180
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A New Chance

    Judith

    The guy stops sobbing when you touch his shoulder and looks at your with red tear stained eyes "Hy don' know. Hy really chust don' know hennymore." He takes another swig, and then looks at you strangely for a moment before yelling quite loudly "Hold me!" and then pulling you into a hug. He semi-whispers into your ear the following "Hyu're de only friend Hy hef, Hy kan trust hyu. Hy vant to schow hyu zumddink." Assuming you pull away enough to look him in the eyes at this point, his eyes are full of meaning... the parts that aren't full of booze anyways.

    Joe

    You input the link wrong, so every time I click the link, it re-rolls the die. So try to avoid that in the future, but I'll take it as a 16. Meaning that you poison is indeed effective enough to kill rats.

    "Ethan"

    The girl looks at your for a moment, while wearing an impish smile as you stammer on for a bit. She curls up and puts her chin on her knees saying "It's actually really cool to be one, once you figure everything out. It was really weird for me personally because I was kind of high at the time of the blast, so when I started changing forms, you can imagine how freaked out I was. I couldn't really control it at the begining, which is partially why I'm here. Imagine being a squirrel one minute, then a bear the next, but of them being brilliant neon colors, while on a trip." She lets out a whistle while shaking her head. "I'll you this much, I'll never touch the stuff again. So I decided to come here for a bit, until I came off my trip, and got my powers under control, which I can pretty much do now, except control the color, I can't get that right yet...

    Anyways, on to the tests. The receptionist has you talking to me because I think they had like the most difficulty with me. Oh, my senses are like really good now and stuff, so I could like hear what you said to her, I hope you're not mad or anything for me eavesdropping. Oh yeah, introductions and stuff, I'm Erica, sorry about that. Back to the tests, they really don't force you to do anything, there were a few people that declined the tests as well. A few people where given alternative tests if their skin was too tough to breach to get blood or something. They nearly had to do that we me, it freaked the doctors and stuff out for a bit, because the needles wouldn't really work on my skin..."
    she flicks her forearm at this, and it makes a dull thunk, very much like knocking on wood "They eventually figured something out, and were able to get some of my blood; but it wasn't really blood, it was like sap and blood combined. They said I was like some "fleshy tree" or something... I didn't really pay much attention, I was too busy doing this..." the girl changes into a violently purple deer curled up on the bed and looks you dead in the eye for roughly 15 seconds without doing a damn thing..... Before it crosses its eyes, sticks out its tongue, and starts licking its nose.

    She holds that goofy pose for about 5 seconds before transforming back into herself in a fit of giggles.

    Reaper

    Bolt turns back to facing you and says "Even if you are not my sister's killer, you are still a killer, and I will NEVER work with something as disgusting as that, no matter the cost."

    Pulse

    You uncle chuckles a bit at your slurring your words then getting sober quickly. "Nice talent there, no more hang overs. Now as for your help on police investigation, I can't give my official word yet. You see, tomorrow morning, all of the big influencial people involved in the government and police agendas are having a meeting. We are all going over the data each of our subgroups have collected today. I'll keep you out of it, you can be sure of that. You'll notice that the Mayor really didn't announce a formal policy or plan of action at the conference; that was because there isn't one, at least not yet. We're going to be deciding that tomorrow, depending on what happened today. However, nothing extraordinarily bad happened today, thankfully. We expected to have buildings demolished at the very least. But then again, this may be a calm before the storm.

    Anyways, long story short: I want your help on the investigations, but whether we can do it in the open or not depends on how the meeting goes tomorrow.... I need another drink."


    Emperor Demonking

    The officer takes down your responses without batting an eye, but when you ask to see who registered, he hesitates for a moment before shrugging his shoulders, and starts flipping through the completed forms.

    "Well, we got the 7 from the conference: Reaper, Titan, Inferno, Bolt, Hound, The Man and Jen. Then we got Pulse, he got wicked smart and made a bunch of toys. Some Anonymous dork, who heals fast and has no common sense. Some unconfirmed mutant that got in a scuffle with police earlier on, possibly enhanced fighting prowess. Haze, some guy who can turn into smoke or something, walk through walls and teleport, he knows Titan I think. 1337, some nerd that can talk to computers or something. Cannon, uhh, he makes things go boom. That's about it. We didn't much more useful answers than that."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •