New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Valdar, World of Elemental Leylines

The City of Harbor Manor, in the Drunken Whale Tavern and Inn

The tavern is dimly lit, but lively as a pair of humans and a halfling sing, dance and play their lutes on the small stage in the corner. Ysska sits back enjoying his ale and the music, its a decent song in the style of Vys~ir Fields folk though he misses a good salty sea song like the dwarves sung in the docks of Yssar City. Sighing with the remembrance of his carefree days. He brightens as a heavily armored dwarf enters the tavern and selecting a seat across from Ysska (since most other seats are taken). After a few minutes of studying each other, the dwarf is distracted by the waitress who speaks to him: "Znl V gnxr lbh beqre fve?"

@ Munatio:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You are the dwarf, you have just arrived in and finished you chores unloading. You selected this tavern to escape the higher prices at the docks. You don't expect any salt-speakers, but your hoping someone can speak elven.

@ Ysska:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The waitress says "May I take your order sir?" in Vys.

@ Sharn:
    Spoiler
    Show
    After docking at the airport, you are spotted as you try to sneak away and the sailors shout at you to stop and guards begin to chase you into the city. After a long chase the guards are far behind and you think it would be best to lie low in the nearby tavern.

I'll let you describe your entrance.

@ Victor:
    Spoiler
    Show
    After many weeks of travel you find yourself in the city of Harbor Manor. You have arrived by boat from Ysr~ir Keep and chose to find a tavern further in the city to avoid the high prices at the docks.

I'll let you describe your entrance.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Valdar, World of Elemental Leylines

Muntanio

Mun grumbles a bit at the expected, but no-where near convinient, foreign speech of the waitress. He adjusts himself in his seat a bit, briefly rubs his eyes, and twirls a strand of his braided beard a bit with his right hand. He addresses the waitress.
    "I do not suppose, speak any Elven?"
    He says in slightly broken Elven.
    Awesome Avatar by Shattersnap.

Spoiler
    Show

Many thanks to El Goonish Shive for the banner image.

Give a player a fish, and he’ll probably try to sell it to an NPC fisherman.

Teach a player to fish, and next week he’ll show up with the book, “The Complete Adventuring Fisherman”. He’ll start hunting for some monstrous leviathan to catch and enslave, and he’ll be dual-wielding two fishing poles.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Seeing his dwarfish friends confusion, Ysska leans over and whispers "She just said 'May I take your order', by the way." in Elven Common. (that's the language I'm whispering, I'm not saying it.) "Personally, I recommend the halfling grog. Quite nice." He sits back to see how the beglittered companion reacts.
    Proud initiate ref for the Arena!
    Spoiler
    Show

Llince 2-1
    Akhond 1-0
    Wolatifex 0-0

Crimson Mageatar!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ex-avatar/ists:
    The Chilli God
    Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Muntanio

Mun nods gruffly and whispers back to Ysska.
    "Thanks. Do ya think you can order some of that halfling grog and a bit of flame brandy for me, seeing as you know her language? I'll pay for it. I've got the coin."
    He turns and gives a little smile to the waitress, to help maintain her patience.
    Last edited by Enlong; 2007-12-09 at 12:27 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Teach a player to fish, and next week he’ll show up with the book, “The Complete Adventuring Fisherman”. He’ll start hunting for some monstrous leviathan to catch and enslave, and he’ll be dual-wielding two fishing poles.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Sharn

A dark figure sulks slowly through the doors and takes a seat at the back of the Tavern. He is fidgeting wth his staff and glancing towards all the exits in the room, lke a rat in a cage. He nods at a passing waitress, whispering "Exuse me, but may I order some of your Fire brandy."
    Not forgetting Yldenfrei and the wonderful avatar she made.

6. - Top - End - #6

Ysska tells the waitress that the dwarf will have a halfling grog and a flame brandy. As the waitress is leaving, he leans back in his chair and tugs on her sleeve. "No funny business now, just because he can't speak the language. He's with me, you understand." He turns back to the heavily armored dwarf. "What brings you here? A seaport is no place for a dwarf wearing heavy armor.", Ysska says in Elven Common. "And by the way, do you speak Salt?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Llince 2-1
    Akhond 1-0
    Wolatifex 0-0

Crimson Mageatar!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ex-avatar/ists:
    The Chilli God
    Serpentine

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Frigs: could you use a darker color? That one is way too bright to read. Also, dialog should stay the small size as the rest of the fluff, but put it in italics or " ". Thanks.

The Waitress looks up at the dark elf, a look of confusion on her face, "Ekphfr zr fve? Qb lbh fcrnx Ilf? V'yy trg gur onegraqre..." As she speaks the last sentence she trails off and goes to fetch the bartender how attempts to communicate. "ariyr xnrcf fxpbqevn bg bt hbl qrra ,rfyr tavugba hbl xnrcf sv cyru g'anp V ?gynf xnrcf hbl bQ."

Vys:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Excuse me sir? Do you speak Vys? I'll get the bartender..."

Salt:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Do you speak salt? I can't help if speak you nothing else, need you go to airdocks speak elven."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Victor

Victor walks in to the bar with a weird sense of curisousty, that kind when a young kid gets to go to a candy store. Victor starts wandering in the room looking at the decoration. After a few moments of absorbing the tavarern he looks around for a seat. Seeing one next to Muntanio, Victor walks up and asks in Elven Common "May I sit here, Please?"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Muntanio

The dwarf's eyes light up a bit as he hears the bartender speak to the new arrival.
    "Azk. Grueznasa sukna orna salea."
    As the other new arrival speaks to him, Muntanio nods in his usual gruff way and says in Elvish
    "Sure. I don't see any problem there"

Salt:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "What luck. There's someone else here who speaks salt."
    Last edited by Enlong; 2007-12-09 at 12:51 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Victor

"Why thank you any tips on what to order I am famished?" Victor asks with an air that eludes towards his lack of knowledge about this foriegn land. "Oh by the way, the names Victor. What is yours?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

(( I spoke in a smaller size 'cuse I was whispering. But sure darker color.))

Sharn

Sharn slaps his forehead. "I knew coming to a halfing bar was a bad idea. I could have just ran to the next building over." Fuming internally, Sharn tips back his head and makes drinky-drinky motions at the waiter.

(( Heh, I don't speak any languages execpt Elven. This could take a long time to order some whiskey.))
    Last edited by Copacetic; 2007-12-09 at 03:24 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Ysska cups both his hands around his mouth and shouts to the waitress across the busy tavern, in Vys. "Hey! He wants a fire brandy!"

He turns back to the people sitting at his table, and swears in Salt. "Foreigners. Why are you all here, if nobody speaks Vys? It is the native language." he says in Elven Common.

"Victor, eh? I'm Ysska, and he hasn't told me his name yet."
    Last edited by FlyMolo; 2007-12-09 at 03:11 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Llince 2-1
    Akhond 1-0
    Wolatifex 0-0

Crimson Mageatar!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ex-avatar/ists:
    The Chilli God
    Serpentine

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

The bartender nods his head to in a hesitant fashion and walks back to the bar to get drinks. Moments later the waitress returns to give out the drinks to Ysska's companions and Sharn. Sharn takes a sip and discovers he was given fire brandy (the stereotypical elf drink).

While most of the patrons have ignored the strangers, a few seem to have taken an interest and a smartly dressed halfling approaches the lone dark-skinned elf smiling broadly. "Evening miss! Play a gamble?" The halfling has obvious difficulty with elven but makes a valiant effort. He draws out a pack of cards which draws the attention of a two other halflings who join the table. "You gamble Ley Cards elf?" The halfling inquires as he passes the elf a hand of 5 cards. Looking at the cards Sharn sees two have the symbol of air, one of fire, and three of water. Each have a rune Sharn assumes is a number in the center. Thinking hard he can decipher his hand as this: Air-9, Air-5, Fire-5, Water-7, Water-0, Water-0

The halflings add a few gold coins, three each into the center of the table and wait for Sharn.

Edit: You may make a DC10 knowledge check to figure out how to play the game.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

" Knowledge check" - (1d20+0)[19]

Sharn

Sharn smiled, for he knew how to play this game very well, but took a sip of brandy and waited for the Halfing to make his first move.
    Last edited by Copacetic; 2007-12-09 at 03:47 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Muntanio

Muntanio turns to Ysska.
    "Ah, sorry. Got distracted. Name's Muntanio. I'm an armor-smith by trade, which is why I'm wearing this thing; made it myself and I like to show off the merchendise. Plus I like how it feels. I never learned Vys 'cause I never really needed it for the jobs I usually do. I came here on a delivery job. Some armor for a local fighters' guild. Now then, I've given you my name. what's yours?"

Spoiler
    Show
    OK, which knowledge check is it?
    Last edited by Enlong; 2007-12-09 at 04:10 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Sharn

Sharn takes three gold coins from his pocket and slaps them on the table. "Your turn"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

The finely dressed halfling studies his cards, his expression never wavering from his broad smile. He glances up to see his bet matched and places a Fire-0 card on to the table. He looks expectingly at the next player who frowns slightly as he silently places an Earth-9. The next player places a Water-2 and smiles at the finely dressed halfling.

@ Sharn:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, but I forgot one important rule in Ley Cards, ties are always removed from the trick unless there is an advantage. Thus playing a Water-2 would result in both the Water-2's being removed and the Fire-0 wins the trick.

Edit: Anyone can make a generic Knowledge check or Knowledge (local) to know how to play Ley Cards.

18. - Top - End - #18

Ysska

"I'm Ysska. I'm going to call you Munty, if that's alright. I could never abide long names. Both my parents had them, and it bothered me to no end. Watch out for that guy swindling the elf. He's crooked as they come. Don't play cards with him. He's always got a few dozen cards in a pocket." Ysska makes a mental note to keep track of how much money the elf loses, and step in if necessary.

LT:I hope you don't mind if I embellish a bit on your well-dressed halfling. I'll change it if it's a problem.
    Spoiler
    Show

Llince 2-1
    Akhond 1-0
    Wolatifex 0-0

Crimson Mageatar!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ex-avatar/ists:
    The Chilli God
    Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Everyone except Sharn:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As the group turns to see the halfling Ysska talked about, they can plainly see the halfling swap a card from his pocket with one in his hand.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Sharn

Sharn grins and places a water-7 card on the table.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

The halfling that placed the Water-2 gives a triumphant shout and throws down an Air-3, beaming at the rest of the table. The next player sighs and plays a Fire-9. The finely dressed one waits patiently for Sharn.
    ignore this - (1d20+9)[23]ignore this2 - (1d20+4)[12]

22. - Top - End - #22

Ysska

Ysska sat back to try and work out which game they were playing. {Ley cards, Ley cards, How do those work again?}

[roll="Knowledge(Local)"]1d20[/roll]

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Spoiler
    Show

Llince 2-1
    Akhond 1-0
    Wolatifex 0-0

Crimson Mageatar!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ex-avatar/ists:
    The Chilli God
    Serpentine

23. - Top - End - #23

Eh, what? /\

"Knowledge check" - (1d20)[8]
    Spoiler
    Show

Llince 2-1
    Akhond 1-0
    Wolatifex 0-0

Crimson Mageatar!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ex-avatar/ists:
    The Chilli God
    Serpentine

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Sharn

Sharn frowns, looking troubled. Then he slaps his head with a duh! motion and places a Water-0 card on the Table.
    Last edited by Copacetic; 2007-12-09 at 04:50 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

The finely dressed halfling with his unnervingly stagnant expression places an Earth-1 on the table and calmly gathers up the cards and places a Day Sun on the table. The other players groan as the place a Fire-8 and Air-7 on the table and wait for Sharn. The grinning halfling has another card at ready.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Sharn

Sharn moans and places a Air-9 on the table and waits for the next round

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

With the same sickening grin, the halfling picks up the cards and places a Earth-0 on the table. The other halflings throw down a Fire-2 and Air-4 as all hope seems to be lost.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Sharn

Desprate to keep another victory from the halflng, Sharn plays His last Water-0

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

"Good gamble friend!" the halfling speaks again in his broken elvish as the next halfling deals out the new hand. After view his hand, the third halfling speaks gibberish and pulls out a stack of 20 gold coins and looks at Sharn. The finely dressed halfling address Sharn: "Friend wants know if risk you take?" As he says so the third halfling begins to count out 20 gold coins to set on the table.

Sharn's hand: Night Sun, Air-3, Earth-5, Water-0, Fire-0

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Sharn

Sharn, trying to look gullible, nods slowly.

(( Would I need to make a bluff check?))
    Last edited by Copacetic; 2007-12-09 at 05:09 PM.