New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Isoria's Legacy

1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Isoria's Legacy

Quote Originally Posted by Squee_nabob View Post
    Khronik looked genuinely confused at this statement. “Hiding? Me? I’m just here.”
    "The captain seems not to have noticed you, though. Perhaps you were simply overlooked," Marie replied with a smile.

“My mother always said that I should do my best to remain unobtrusive and not get in anyone’s way. It’s the best way to avoid annoying them. Plus, I don’t know how many people have seen a real gnome before, so I don’t want to be a distraction.”

He thought for a while before blurting out…

“Why do you carry a longbow at sea? Surely if anything was to attack you at range, you’d see it coming with enough time to arm yourself? And what did your mother do that she needed such a well crafted item?”

"My mother used to be an adventurer," she responded, "years ago. She gave it to me when I left to join Captain Sallus, in case we should happen upon pirates or the like. It's light enough to swim in if you've practiced, but it will still stop arrows and blades. As for the longbow, it's easy to think you'll see danger coming, but that's not always the case on the seas. Some of the dangers float on the surface, others hide beneath the waves."

OOC: Because I got free martial weapon proficiency, olol.
    Last edited by Pyroconstruct; 2007-11-07 at 03:53 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Halfling in the Playground

"Have you come across pirates? and what sorts of dangers lurk in the sea? I've heard stories of Sea Dragons, Dragon turtles, and Sirens, but Ambrocius says that Sea Dragons and Sirens arn't real, just renamed versions of other things."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I've fought with pirates a few times - that's part of what you're doing here, really. Most of our crew are sailors, not soldiers, although Captain Sallus has made sure all of his men are armed and given basic weapons training. We also nearly got eaten by merrow once - the ugly things crawled up the sides of the ships at night. As for the sea dragons and sirens, I've heard stories of them but Sallus says they aren't real. Dragon turtles I've never seen myself, but Clyment has. You could ask him about it."

4. - Top - End - #34

"How do pirate attacks go? Do they really run a skull and crossbones?"

Khronik excitedly asked. Then the thought for a few minutes, and said

"Why not just fireball a pirate ship at 680ft? Pauline can do it, and it should destroy their sails?"

"And will all the ships sail near each other? How am I supposed to move from ship to ship?"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

After pleasantries, Ambrosius walked to Captain Sallus. "Captain Sullus, I know when we discussed our deal that I mentioned my necromantic interests. I wanted to know which captain would be most amendable to housing them. The only one I have now is my bat, but I will want him to land from time to time. Also I may want to acquire more depending on what we run into."

Choice 1:
    Assuming Sallus gives him a captain, Ambrosius will go to talk to him/her.

Choice 2:
    He'll talk to Sallus some more.
    Last edited by HidaTsuzua; 2007-11-07 at 08:03 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

"That's why we make sure any guards we hire include at least a few spellcasters," Marie replied to Khroniz's question, "if only one side has mages or a powerful enough cleric, naval combats tend to be short and one-sided."

"I don't really know a great deal about warfare, though," she continued, "but Captain Nevelonne does. She served in the Lormish navy for years before becoming a merchant captain. I do know that we usually sail close enough that one ship can aid another if they're boarded, but not so close as to accidentally collide, or get more than one ship in the area of effect of spells."
    Last edited by Pyroconstruct; 2007-11-07 at 08:05 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HidaTsuzua View Post
    After pleasantries, Ambrosius walked to Captain Sallus. "Captain Sullus, I know when we discussed our deal that I mentioned my necromantic interests. I wanted to know which captain would be most amendable to housing them. The only one I have now is my bat, but I will want him to land from time to time. Also I may want to acquire more depending on what we run into."
    "Yes, the bat," Sallus replied. "What sort of storage did you have in mind? Do you want it out in the open, in the dark, hidden, or what?"

8. - Top - End - #38

"So I'm supposed to stay on one ship?" Khronik enquired. "Or do I use a boat to travel from ship to ship enroute? Or do I use a grapple and rope like in the stories?"

"And what did you do before you became a captain?"

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

(OOC: For two conversations like this quoting might be good)

Quote Originally Posted by Pyroconstruct View Post
    "Yes, the bat," Sallus replied. "What sort of storage did you have in mind? Do you want it out in the open, in the dark, hidden, or what?"
    "I am planning to keep it in the air most of the time. I will also let it used as a watch post if you want. That is, unless it will be too easy to spot at sea. I merely want to minimize possible complications while letting it be useful," Ambrosius replied. "Don't worry, it's as clean as any living animal."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

"So I'm supposed to stay on one ship?" Khronik enquired. "Or do I use a boat to travel from ship to ship enroute? Or do I use a grapple and rope like in the stories?"
    "Any of those, really," Marie replied as she shrugged.

"If you're in a hurry you can try to swing across," she continued, "although I wouldn't recommend it unless it's an emergency. The lifeboats can get you from ship to ship if it's not urgent. Also, if one of the ships is boarded, the rest will come to help, so you'll be able to get into melee if that's what you do best."

"And what did you do before you became a captain?"
    "I'm not a captain, not yet. I'm first mate - Captain Nevelonne commands the Temperance," she said, "and I didn't really do much of anything before signing on. My family could afford to provide me with a good education, but I didn't really have any prospects besides entering the clergy or making my own fortune. One of my cousins introduced me to Captain Sallus, though, and I convinced him to let me sign on. How about yourself? What brings a gnome to sail the seas?"
    Last edited by Pyroconstruct; 2007-11-07 at 08:41 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HidaTsuzua View Post
    (OOC: For two conversations like this quoting might be good)

"I am planning to keep it in the air most of the time. I will also let it used as a watch post if you want. That is, unless it will be too easy to spot at sea. I merely want to minimize possible complications while letting it be useful," Ambrosius replied. "Don't worry, it's as clean as any living animal."
    "Well," Sallus replied, "any problems from it being spotted would probably result in damage to your bat, not problems for our ships, so I'll leave it to your discretion. If you need a place to dock it, put it on the Highwind, we have the most free space there. I'll be sure to let my subordinates know not to worry about it."
    Last edited by Pyroconstruct; 2007-11-07 at 08:48 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42

"Any of those, really," Marie replied as she shrugged.

"If you're in a hurry you can try to swing across," she continued, "although I wouldn't recommend it unless it's an emergency. The lifeboats can get you from ship to ship if it's not urgent. Also, if one of the ships is boarded, the rest will come to help, so you'll be able to get into melee if that's what you do best."
    “What I do best is really ground based reconnaissance, since no one seems to pay attention to me. Though I dabble in the basics, trap disarming, spotting things, and dancing.” Khornik elaborated.

Khronik quickly preformed a demonstration of Gnomish River Dancing

“I’ll probably be sticking to one ship then, though I will probably go to others as needed and to confer with the other Sentinels.”

"I'm not a captain, not yet. I'm first mate - Captain Nevelonne commands the Temperance," she said, "and I didn't really do much of anything before signing on. My family could afford to provide me with a good education, but I didn't really have any prospects besides entering the clergy or making my own fortune. One of my cousins introduced me to Captain Sallus, though, and I convinced him to let me sign on. How about yourself? What brings a gnome to sail the seas?"
    “Well I suppose I should introduce myself to Captain Nevelonne at some point, I don’t know if she saw me too”. He winks at Marie. “I should also check to see if she has a bunk for me on the Temperance.”

His face sobered.

“So as to what I am doing on the surface, my Mom urged me to travel to the surface to adventure.” Khronik started to gesture with his hands. “I spent weeks in the upper dark traveling to the surface. I had no magic items, just my wits and pluck. And there was a time when I was down to less than a weeks worth of pluck! Anyway, I eventually reached the surface, where I sold some jewelry my mother gave me to buy equipment and passage to Lorm. I found Ambriocius was recruiting people and I signed up. Next thing I know we’re negotiating for a ship protection deal, and big bang boom I’m back on a ship.” With the last line, Khronik finished with a massive hand gesture.

OOC: This was a lie, it was his long time girlfriend, Khronik prefers not to mention her to other women though. Some other minor details were lies too.

“So, as First Mate, what do you do on the Temperance?”

Tech:
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnomish River Dancing Roll: (1d20+4)[18] isn’t it weird how tumble is dex based but dancing is cha based? Boo hiss

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

“What I do best is really ground based reconnaissance, since no one seems to pay attention to me. Though I dabble in the basics, trap disarming, spotting things, and dancing.” Khornik elaborated.

Khronik quickly preformed a demonstration of Gnomish River Dancing.
    Marie seemed highly entertained. "That's adorable, I've never seen gnomes dance before."

“I’ll probably be sticking to one ship then, though I will probably go to others as needed and to confer with the other Sentinels.”

“Well I suppose I should introduce myself to Captain Nevelonne at some point, I don’t know if she saw me too”. He winks at Marie. “I should also check to see if she has a bunk for me on the Temperance.”

His face sobered.

“So as to what I am doing on the surface, my Mom urged me to travel to the surface to adventure.” Khronik started to gesture with his hands. “I spent weeks in the upper dark traveling to the surface. I had no magic items, just my wits and pluck. And there was a time when I was down to less than a weeks worth of pluck! Anyway, I eventually reached the surface, where I sold some jewelry my mother gave me to buy equipment and passage to Lorm. I found Ambriocius was recruiting people and I signed up. Next thing I know we’re negotiating for a ship protection deal, and big bang boom I’m back on a ship.” With the last line, Khronik finished with a massive hand gesture.

OOC: This was a lie, it was his long time girlfriend, Khronik prefers not to mention her to other women though. Some other minor details were lies too.
    OOC: I have rolled bluff vs. sense motive and then Khronik's sense motive to see if he thinks she believed the details. Khronik is sure she believed all the details.

"I can understand that," Marie replied, "although I'm not really an adventurer, my mother always encouraged me to at least see the world before settling down."

“So, as First Mate, what do you do on the Temperance?”
    "Officially, I'm in charge of the deck crew," Marie replied, "and responsible for determining how much cargo we can carry safely, and where and how to stack it. I'm also second in command of the Temperance, under Captain Nevelonne. Unofficially, I'm learning how to command a ship, since I hope to captain my own ship someday."

14. - Top - End - #44

"Officially, I'm in charge of the deck crew," Marie replied, "and responsible for determining how much cargo we can carry safely, and where and how to stack it. I'm also second in command of the Temperance, under Captain Nevelonne. Unofficially, I'm learning how to command a ship, since I hope to captain my own ship someday."

OOC: It's always time for Gnomish River Dancing.

"When I was trying to find a way to invest in this venture, Captain Sallus said we could invest our money with him, and he’d buy more cargo. So this must mean that we were originally sailing with partially full ships.” Khronik reasoned. “Do you often sail with partially full cargo holds?”

“Also, what are we carrying?”

“And would you want to haul freight like Captain Nevelonne?”

“What do you do on shore? Like your time off?”

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC: It's always time for Gnomish River Dancing.

"When I was trying to find a way to invest in this venture, Captain Sallus said we could invest our money with him, and he’d buy more cargo. So this must mean that we were originally sailing with partially full ships.” Khronik reasoned. “Do you often sail with partially full cargo holds?”

“Also, what are we carrying?”
    "You'll see," Marie replied, "once we're underway. I think Captain Sallus intends to explain the plan to you directly."

“And would you want to haul freight like Captain Nevelonne?”
    "Well, that's what I'm training to do. It doesn't sound that exciting, but you get to see the world, and it's less dangerous than the navy."

“What do you do on shore? Like your time off?”
    "That depends where we are, I guess. I like to look around new places, see the local flavor and sights, that sort of thing."

16. - Top - End - #46

"Well, that's what I'm training to do. It doesn't sound that exciting, but you get to see the world, and it's less dangerous than the navy."
    “I suppose it’s less dangerous than adventuring too, but it doesn’t have any of the lovely danger and excitement to get the blood going. I guess I might just be an adrenaline junky”

OOC: If they have that term in Isoria, if not a similar one is used.

"That depends where we are, I guess. I like to look around new places, see the local flavor and sights, that sort of thing."
    “If you are interested in a companion to take in the local flavor, I would be happy to accompany you. But now I suppose I should go see about my sleeping arrangements.”

Khronik looked around to see if any other Sentinels were interested in the [i] Temperance[i] for their lodgings, and restealthed.

OOC: Where Is everyone going to stay?

17. - Top - End - #47

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: What genders are the Averys? It never says, and they could be either hansome like a woman, or hansome like a man. I just realized that on second reading, and redheaded twins is not something Khronik should pass up lightly. It won't effect his conversation with Marie but it might influence who he chats up next

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC: The Avery twins are male.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Octavian (who had been wearing a holy symbol of St. Cayl while in Lorm and keeping his other symbols concealed) approached Captain Sallus and asked him,

"I'm curious about the religious persuasion of your crew. I notice that it seems the majority are Lormish. If there are any followers of St. Cayl, I would be willing to provide religious services. Also, will any more clerics be joining us on this journey, or will I be the primary provider of medical services for all five vessels?"

During the conversation, Octavian tried to get a feel for how tolerant Sallus and his crew were, for example, if they might be accepting of a Cleric of St. Elar.

Tech:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bluff Check in case I need to make one to conceal my motives or pretend to be a Caylian: (1d20+12)[27]

Sense Motive Check to try to get a hunch about Sallus's level of religious tolerance/indifference: (1d20+3)[4]

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zod View Post
    Octavian (who had been wearing a holy symbol of St. Cayl while in Lorm and keeping his other symbols concealed) approached Captain Sallus and asked him,

"I'm curious about the religious persuasion of your crew. I notice that it seems the majority are Lormish. If there are any followers of St. Cayl, I would be willing to provide religious services."

"Most of my crew belong to the church of St. Cayl, and those that don't mostly keep it to themselves," Sallus replied. "I expect they'd be happy to have religious services, I'm sure it would do their spirits good. Might get them to behave better too. Just don't go too far trying to convert any of my crew, and it should be fine."

After thinking for a minute, Sallus added "Why don't we organize services around the shifts? I don't want the crew all off-duty at the same time, but that way everyone who wants will get a chance to hear."

"Also, will any more clerics be joining us on this journey, or will I be the primary provider of medical services for all five vessels?"
    "You're the only priest, besides Wolfram," Sallus answered, "although we have some sailors who know mundane medical skills."

During the conversation, Octavian tried to get a feel for how tolerant Sallus and his crew were, for example, if they might be accepting of a Cleric of St. Elar.

Tech:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bluff Check in case I need to make one to conceal my motives or pretend to be a Caylian: [roll0]

Sense Motive Check to try to get a hunch about Sallus's level of religious tolerance/indifference: [roll1]

Tech: Sense motive failed.
    Last edited by Pyroconstruct; 2007-11-08 at 11:37 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51

OOC: Is there anyone with some money to loan me for arrows? I just realized I might need some more. And can I buy small arrows in port?

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC: There are extra mundane arrows on the ships that you can use to restock if you run out. You can also purchase them at almost any port.

23. - Top - End - #53

OOC: small sized arrows for my shortbow?

24. - Top - End - #54
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Wolfram waited patiently for an opportunity to speak with Sallus, letting the others who had already spoken have their say. While he waited, he whispered a prayer to St. Menaz to assist him in finding evil.

Tech:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am casting detect evil and scanning everyone I can see with it

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC: Good call, I forgot about the "small arrows" issue. You can buy them at the port, though.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gaseous Snake View Post
    Wolfram waited patiently for an opportunity to speak with Sallus, letting the others who had already spoken have their say. While he waited, he whispered a prayer to St. Menaz to assist him in finding evil.

Tech:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am casting detect evil and scanning everyone I can see with it
    Tech: Wolfram's results
    Spoiler
    Show

Of the officers: Captain Tybaut and Girardino de Parma are evil. A portion of the crew is evil as well (about 1/3, which is a bit lower than the normal average). All of them are "faint." No evil auras or lingering evil are visible.

27. - Top - End - #57

Khronik asked the other sentinels for some money to buy small arrows with, in as unobtrusive a manner as possible.

OOC: Anyone got 5 bucks?

28. - Top - End - #58
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

After finishing his scan of the crew, Wolfram approached Sallus.

"Good sir, I would like to ask you a few questions. First, I want a few clarifications as to our role on your ship. I know it is our duty to ensure the safety of your mission. However, are we to be independent agents, or do you wish us to follow one of your crew's orders? Do you have some battle master or tactician or some other role that is in charge of the defense of your ships? Are we able to command your men, and if so, who can we expect to listen to what we may order? Thank you in advance for these clarifications."

Having finished, Wolfram lowered his voice and continued talking to Sallus.

"In addition, I was wondering how long you have known Captain Tybaut and Girardino de Parma? As a paladin, I have been gifted with the ability to discern who among us is of selfish or evil intentions. Those two have registered as being evil, which concerns me, as one of them is your navigator. I do not presume to tell you what you should do with your crew, but I can not fail to warn you. I will try to keep on eye on them, if you wish me to."

Khronik asked the other sentinels for some money to buy small arrows with, in as unobtrusive a manner as possible.
    Whenever Khronik asked this, Wolfram replied, "I am sorry, I do not have the coins to spare you. Perhaps Ambrosius has a some that he can lend you."

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

Looking for Captain Perronella, Ambrosius felt a tug of his robe. While maintaining composure, he looked at the cause of the disturbance. Seeing it to be Khroniz, he knew the gnome was likely asking for some spending money (since the gnome often had odd opinions on cash). Deciding that it's best to keep ones who can easily ambush you happy, he slipped Khroniz ten gold pieces. "There you go. Be sure to buy some souvenirs."

After locating Captain Perronella more, Ambrosius found her directing some sailors. Walking up to her, he spoke.

"Greetings again Captain Perronella. I was talking to Captain Sallus and he recommended your ship as the best one for my bat to use to land. I am also curious to know what is the average speed of the ships so I can give it appropriate orders as well."
    Last edited by HidaTsuzua; 2007-11-12 at 10:26 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60

Khronik gleefully accepted the money from Ambrosious, making sure to thank him. Then he left the ship in search of a shop to sell small arrows (while HiPSed).

OOC: Bram if you just want to say "I can buy small arrows" it will be done, if you want to roleplay, i can do that too.
    Last edited by Squee_nabob; 2007-11-12 at 10:29 PM.