New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Lost in the Depths... [IC]

The Fungi pauses briefly as though it can understand Mordun and it seems indecisive for a moment as though considering it options... it slowly and tentatively turns towards the group but makes no move to come any closer. Instead the creature begins sliding along the perimiter of the group you can see it's iluminated bulk bobbing up and down with hurried movement as it hastily tries to maneuver around you all back towards the point from where it first emerged.
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Toir - In Drawn into Ravenloft
    Mirahako - In Bertram's Shadow: Misfits

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Fethen

Mordun, is this thing smart enought o understand what you are saying? I mean is it smarter than, say , a dog? Do you even know?
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

3. - Top - End - #183
    Orc in the Playground

Entirinon

"If you think it won't attack again, I'm willing to let it live. However, see if you can get any information about this place... other creatures it may have encountered, et cetera."

Entirinon watches the fungal creature carefully...

4. - Top - End - #184
    Orc in the Playground

The creature turns and flees back to where you first found it still trying to hide from the light twined about its leg and midsection. You can see it off in the darkness but it makes no moves to approach as you stand reguarding it from a distance.

-End Combat-

300xp to all.
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

5. - Top - End - #185

Fethen

Mordun, goodsaer. Cna you explain to us all what is going on here? the mage is still wary and looks around carefully expecting attack from another quarter.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Mordun

Mordun waves his comrades close to him so they can speak freely.

My friends, this creature here is nothing but a simple beast, a sentient defender of these mushrooms we see around us. I can understand its words, and it fears us more than we fear it, and rightly so, for it wishes us no harm and we have done it much. This is no tool of our captor, thus we have no reason to fear it.

In fact, it may be of use to us. Any creature that calls this cave home must have some knowledge of its geography, and perhaps it has even seen glimpses of what is behind our mutual misfortunes. Killing this creature would be wasting a valuable opportunity! We must try to reason with it, though my own skills of persuasion are lacking at best.

I urge you, a place such as this likely has little sentient life, we must take every advantage given, no matter how it is presented.
    Who's that artsy anarchist?

7. - Top - End - #187
    Orc in the Playground

As Mordun is in the middle of his first monolog, Lialei comes to a stop, and quickly draws her bow, aiming at the creature as she skids to a stop, but just as she's about to release the arrow, the creature stops fleeing. She holds her bow at the ready, and narrows her eyes as she watches it slowly return to it's 'nest' at which point she lowers her bow, putting her arrow away, and begins walking slowly towards it, pausing now and again. Her posture is a cautious defensive one, her weapon at the ready, but not held as if she's about to use it. Her ears are perked, and lay back only very slightly. Any creature that understands the postures of an animal should understand she's curious, and while she's not looking for a fight, if something starts one, she intends to finish it and wind up with a meal.

As she passes Morridun, she snorts. "It's no more sentient than a bear protecting it's cubs, and is at least as dangerous. Still, it might wind up being a good guard. If it attacks me when I approach, it needs to be put down. Keep it lit up, and give me the ability to see invisibility if possible."

She motions to Habadur. "It's wounded. If I can get it calm, and prevent it from attacking, come over when I motion you, and we can heal it."

She continues moving towards it. "Oh, and Mordun? Before you work on other languages, I suggest you learn what 'fast' means in the common tongue."
    Last edited by Josh the Aspie; 2007-12-20 at 12:07 AM.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+2)[4]
    Attempting to use Wild empathy to get a truce.

9. - Top - End - #189

Fethen

Fethen relaxes. He looks around pulls out his sketch pad and a charcoal pencil. He quickly sketches the outline of the creature as he can see it. He also quickly sketchs the area and on a separate page quickly maps out the areas they have explored thus far.

Spoiler
    Show

Sketch - Monster (1d20+5)[23]
    Sketch - Mapping (1d20+5)[11]

10. - Top - End - #190
    Orc in the Playground

Entirinon

With a gesture, he induces his floating ball of light to re-faerie fire the phantom fungus. "We need to rest soon. I burned through a lot of spells, and we definitely aren't at full capability anymore."

11. - Top - End - #191
    Orc in the Playground

"Sad as it is with how little we've explored, I agree. But not until we've handled this creature one way or another." Lialei says, firmly. "It wouldn't due to have an invisible predator trying to eat us in our sleep. How do you think the rest of the mushrooms in the area are 'fed'? They need more than the water."
    Last edited by Josh the Aspie; 2007-12-20 at 01:15 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Orc in the Playground

As the lights on the creature are cast yet again you see the creature becoming more and more agitated. The closeness of Lialei also seems to have increased it's nervousness, despite her words to the others her approach and actions seem to have made the creature more uncomfortable than anything else.

You can see the creature first look one way and then the other. It desperately presses itself agains the wall of its 'nest' and then without warning or hesitation charges headlong at Lialei.

Initiative = 10
    Attack+Charge - (1d20+10)[22]
    Damage - (2d6+8)[14]
    Last edited by Timaoh; 2007-12-20 at 02:05 PM.
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

13. - Top - End - #193

Fethen

I'm sorry Mordun, it dies now. Fethen says releasing a bolt of green energy at the monster.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative (1d20+2)[17]
    To Hit (1d20+5)[13](18) Ranged touch
    Damage (3d6)[10] acid

14. - Top - End - #194
    Orc in the Playground

Entirinon

"Definitely."

Reaching under his cloak, he pulls out a loaded crossbow. *Pang!* He fires it at the creature. From both the small mouselike humanoid and the ball of light shoot two white missiles, which streak unerringly towards the fungus.

Spoiler
    Show

not sure if init reroll required, old init 23, if needed, heres new roll (1d20+3)[15]. My attack : (1d20+5)[15](1d8)[7]. Magic missiles from both summons : (1d4+1)[2](1d4+1)[3]. how many rounds have gone by? im going to assume about 2 rounds of noncombat, giving me 3 rounds with the mouse, 2 rounds with the ball.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Orc in the Playground

As the creature begins it's charge headlong towards Lialei her companions act quickly. In a barrage of magic, quarrels, and light from the summoned creatures the fungus is mortally wounded. It's legs continue to churn even as it begins to lose it's balance and stumbles. Straining mightily to right itself and continue it's charge the creature falters and it's path once straight becomes erratic as it lurches the last few steps towards Lialei. Carried more by momentum from its charge and a desperation of those who have accepted their death it lunges the last few feet separating Lialei and itself throwing itself haphazardly in her direction. The creature topples to the ground skidding to a stop mere inches from where Lialei stands dust debris and lifeblood of the creature mingling as one to assault Lialei as the creature sought to. Peppered by debris and blood Lialei will be reminded of the life she took until she has a moment to clean the remains of the creature from herself, and her now oft-soiled garments.

The debate over the creatures intelligence and possible uses is at a close. There is no use in debating what could have been, other than to lay blame for what has happened. The party tired and weary from a seemingly short battle must decide whether they will press onward or wait for the more scholarly in their group to regain their strength and magics before they continue their search anew.

Spoiler
    Show
    Even if you rest now you must still account for 24 hours before you can cast new spells. Simply resting for 8 hour periods is not enough you must wait for the next day.
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

16. - Top - End - #196
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Mordun

Looking down at the corpse of the fungal creature, Mordun sighs.
    Ah, a pity we could not have used it, but what's done is done. Good to see we have capable hands for holding blades at least.
    He looks around and sees the ragged breaths of his allies as he shrinks back down to normal size.
    Damn, I was liking the change in elevation. If any of ye need to rest, I would have no problem doin' so, it may be best for the health of the group.
    Who's that artsy anarchist?

17. - Top - End - #197
    Orc in the Playground

Entirinon

In flashes of light, both the creatures dissapear. Cracking his fingers and neck, Entirinon stretches. "Well. Good job everyone."

18. - Top - End - #198

Fethen

Fethen looks around and says to the group I think we should press on a bit for today. If we need to rest then let us return to our start point.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Orc in the Playground

Lialei dances back a few inches from the sliding creature, then observes the still outline for a long moment before she nods, slowly, and replies to the others. "I'll be glad to rest whenever everyone else is ready, but I'll rest more easily if we at least find a good, defensible, camping location. If we can, I think we should get at least a bit more exploring done." She looks around at the others. "And thank you."

20. - Top - End - #200

Fethen

Fethen looks around his companions So what is the plan? Are we carrying on or are we camping for the day?

21. - Top - End - #201
    Orc in the Playground

Lialei looks up and over to "Unless a specific person needs to rest -now- I say we explore a bit further."

22. - Top - End - #202
    Orc in the Playground

As you stand for a few moments regaining your barings and discussing your progress and individual needs, magical healing is doled out by Haburdur who remains stoic and unusually quiet as he goes about the mundane task of bringing the party up to full health.

Spoiler
    Show
    ALL YOU WOUND ARE BELONG TO HABADUR!

A slight tremor ripples through the floor on which you stand causing debris, pebbles, and dust to rain down from the unseen heights above. It lasts for the briefest of moments but something feels unnatural to those of you with any ability to discern such things. As the floor settles back into place once again peaceful quiet dominates the cavern as conversation was cut short by the noise and sensation. As you stare into each others eyes the same understanding passes between your gazes. Magic is afoot! It should be stopped before it endagers you further than it has already by bringing you to this place.
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

23. - Top - End - #203

Fethen

Fethen looks at the others and shrugs. You guys coming? He begins moving down the wall keeping at least 20 feet from the wall but following the curve.

24. - Top - End - #204

Wait, Fethen. Me and Mordun are going to go in front. Can't risk you being wounded, friend. Miss Lialei, could you scout in front of us? Bariaus says as he stops Fethen and walks a few feet past him. By the way, wasn't that tremor similar to the one that occurred when a new statue appeared?

25. - Top - End - #205
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Azerian Kelimon View Post
    Wait, Fethen. Me and Mordun are going to go in front. Can't risk you being wounded, friend. Miss Lialei, could you scout in front of us? Bariaus says as he stops Fethen and walks a few feet past him. By the way, wasn't that tremor similar to the one that occurred when a new statue appeared?
    Your voice echoes off the walls and fades unheeded. Fethen walks off into the darkness following the cavern walls. Apparently tired of waiting and caught up in some musing of his own.
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

26. - Top - End - #206
    Orc in the Playground

Entirinon

Pursing his lips, Entirinon says in a tense voice, "Wait! Don't just go wandering off! We need to stick together, and keep organized!"

Picking up his pace, Entirinon tries to catch up to Fethren.

27. - Top - End - #207

Fethen

Seeing the others catching up and moving around Fethen slows and lets them arrange themselves as they see fit. Gentlemen, I can take care of myself, I assure you. But we cannot stay in this place any longer. I believe Entritinon is correct in postulating that tremor is the arrival of another sentient. But it also seems that these continuous tremors are damaging the area. It is time to move on. With that said Fethen pushes on to the east.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Orc in the Playground

Lialei quickly moves up to walk with Greyen and Jael, before speaking softly. "Yes. We need to move on, but keep in mind, we're in strange territory, and all we have to rely on is each other. If we are badly wounded, or begin to run out of resources, we don't have anywhere to retreat to yet. We haven't even explored a single chamber of this area fully yet. That means caution. That means conserving resources, instead of throwing everything we have at the first thing we encounter." she says, glancing back at the mages. "And that means being open to someone saying that they need to stop and rest."

Making sure they are staying to the left wall, she begins moving a few steps ahead of the others, but not so far as to be rude in the conversation, or to cause the others to have to speak louder than they had before.

29. - Top - End - #209

Wait, Milady. Mind if I join you? I don't like scouting much, but your words have a ring of truth, and any information we can obtain is good, moreso considering we have limited resources, Bariaus whispers, as he slowly moves forward, taking the opposite wall.

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's take something out from my bag of tricks.

Hide check, using factotum inspiration to get a boost: (1d20+22)[26]

Move Silently Check, using inspiration: (1d20+22)[24]

Note that this only applies if I cannot take 10 on the checks until we meet a foe. If I can, I take ten and use my normal modifier, 16.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Orc in the Playground

She had only been moving a few steps ahead, while they had all been walking, so to accommodate Azeirian, she simply slows until they're all even again, though walking in the main group makes her a bit nervous.

"I'm looking forward to finding a good defensible camping location where keeping watch will be easier." She says quietly and simply.