New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Lost in the Depths... [IC]

Fethen

Fethen continues to move with the group as they proceed along the wall. He is looking around and taking mental notes of the locations of many things. He is silent, obviously not very happy at the turn of events and his fellows.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

2. - Top - End - #212
    Orc in the Playground

As the conversation is done, Lialei begins moving a bit ahead of the others, always staying within the line of sight of her two closest followers. She moves slowly, checking for traps as she goes.

((I know I can't take 10, and I don't know how many times to roll, so it's probably best if you roll for me when / if needed. I get +13 to my roll. I also don't have to specifically search for secret or hidden passage ways due to being elven.))

3. - Top - End - #213
    Orc in the Playground

Entirinon

"Let's head back to where we began. We camped there once without mishap, and possibly another 'guest' has arrived."

4. - Top - End - #214
    Orc in the Playground

As Entirinon speaks you move far enough at your pace to notice an opening in the wall on your left that is more than an indent.

Spoiler
    Show
    I've been having trouble getting my maps up over the last few days.

Map.
    Last edited by Timaoh; 2008-01-11 at 08:42 AM.
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Toir - In Drawn into Ravenloft
    Mirahako - In Bertram's Shadow: Misfits

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

5. - Top - End - #215

Fethen

Fethen looks at the opening. He looks to the others, This may be a good place to camp, ot it may be the first exit from this place. Let us look. He then moves toward the opening letting the others move forward first if they want to.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Orc in the Playground

After carefully searching the several smaller caverns and tunnels branching off the main cavern you discover several startling and note-worthy things.

The first thing you discover is a very large very intricately carved door. It seems to be fashioned from the purest of mithril and nearly blinds you at first as your light sources reflect back at you off it's highly polished surface. It's hinges are also made of some substance consistant of mithral but where mithral is bright and silvery in colour the hinges are dark and seem to draw in the light.

In the very centre of the door there is also a very large square of the same mysterious dark metal. In it's centre there is a space for a key. The key itself would be as tall as any of you if stood on it's end and the metal quickly swallows up any light as you try to peer in through the key hole. Leaving you guessing about what might be on the other side.

Leaving the door to explore further you quickly find the remains of what seem to be humanoids to the left and right. The remains seem to be very very old. Their skeletal remains have been picked clean by some creature or another as there are definate sings of bite barks on their bones. The three or four passages you find end abruptly with piles of refuse and odds and ends scattered about the small caverns at their ends. Although some show signs of travel as there are remains of fires and ashes in the centre of the left cavern. The final passage leads back to the larger area and the cavern you had been exploring.

It would seem that any of these would make suitable campsites although the left cavern seems to be the cleanest and most recently used out of all the others.

MAP.
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

7. - Top - End - #217

Fethen

Fethen says to the others, if we want to camp one of these caves would seem to be the most defensible. I can hide us in a Rope Trick for six hours, but I know that I need a full eight to clear my mind for fresh spells. I suggest we camp in one of these and use the rope trick for the bulk of the time. Is this agreeable?

8. - Top - End - #218
    Orc in the Playground

Entirinon

"It seems as good a plan as any. I suggest we arrange our camp defensively, then spend some time recuperating."

9. - Top - End - #219
    Orc in the Playground

After taking 10 minutes to arrange the camp and set watches in shifts you all quickly settle in for acold hard night in the darkness. Lost in the depths of some cavern in a land that seems unfamiliar to you eventually settling into a restless sleep plagued by nightmarish visions and impenitrable darkness that clings to you as you run through it trying to escape it's cloying embrace. Shaking with dread and sweating even though you feel chill and numb as though something is sapping the heat from you as you run you stumble blindly as the darkness creeps ever closer on the edge of your vision always in sight and never within reach.

As the bank of darkness closes in around you, parting as you wing at it franticly trying to hold it at bay. It eventually engulfs you completely and a few moments later you awake back in the cavern. As those who are on watch stir restlessly, you know sleep will not afford you the comfort or respite you need.
    Last edited by Timaoh; 2008-01-12 at 12:21 PM.
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

10. - Top - End - #220

Fethen

Watching the others attempt to rest and sleep Fethen studies his spell book and makes some more notes in his journal. He is not ready to sleep yet. After a few hours of preparation and reading/writing Fethen looks at the others and sighs. He walks into the back of the cave and taking some things from one of the pouches at his side he begins to cast a spell.

After a few moments a shimmer in the air appears in front of him before dissappearing. A short moment later a thick rope unrolls from a point in the air a foot above Fethen's head. Fethen tugs on the rope and climbs into nothing. After a moment he pokes his head out and calls to the others. Come on in here guys. This will allow us a short respite from the nightmares...I hope
    Last edited by Greyen; 2008-01-12 at 01:41 PM.

11. - Top - End - #221

Aaaah! Bariaus wakes up, after a night filled with nightmares. Nightmares of longing for having a little lady back, of an endless journey, and of no one to trust. Seeing Fethen, he remembers something. Better prepare, neevr know what's awaiting us, he thinks as he prepares spells for the day. He decides to repeat yesterday's selection, as it has shown itself to be rather useful.
    Last edited by Azerian Kelimon; 2008-01-13 at 05:32 PM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Orc in the Playground

Lialei, meanwhile, keeps watch with the mage. While he scribes notes and the like, she watches the entrance of the side cave that they chose for their camp (personally I recommend the one on the far right, or the one next to it). She glances to the sleeping humanoids, and occasionally surveys their side cavern a soft frown on her face.

While humans sleep, and dream, elves enter a trance, where in the memories of their life return to them, allowing them to stay connected to each part of their life despite their long years. It is due to these trances which keep the past fresh in an Elf's mind. It is because of these that it is said among other races that no friendship lasts so long as an elf... nor does such wraith.

Yet, even within the trance, elves do sometimes dream. These dreams are often considered to be prophetic. And while no elf can ever tell what memories they will revisit that night, the memories that one calls up can sometimes be influenced by the world around them... either being dredged from the depths by similar events... or used to help the mind and spirit find some temporary respite.

Lialei has lived much of her life in nature, exploring it's beauty and magesty... in an attempt to make each night's trance just a little bit more pleasant, after the decades of war she has seen. Yet tonight, from the nightmares of the others, she fears that her trance may... be less than she has worked for.

She nods, and heads for the rope. "Alright Fethen. Thank you for the secure place to rest... and I agree, let's hope our rest will be peaceful."

13. - Top - End - #223

Relative Morning Comes?
    -----------------
    Fethen

Fethen stretches and looks at the cramped quarters inside the Rope Trick. He waits a moment before waking everyone and ushering them out. Saying brightly, trying to keep a positive face on he will poke and prod feet or shoulders all the while saying Wakey wakey! A beautiful day of deep dungeon delving to do!

After everyone is awake and out of the Rope Trick he will then sit against a wall and rest for another few hours, mainly sketching and reading. After eating a cold breakfast of dry tack he will sit and memorize spells muttering about Tomorrow, we will get a whole nights sleep. This place is oppressive.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Orc in the Playground

Liale has been sitting in one small corner of the area of the rope-trick with her knees brought to her chest, and her arms hugging her cloak to her body. Her eyes have stayed open the majority of the time, merely blinking now and again as she stares into nothingness, past the shoulder of one of the others in the rope trick, as though absorbed in her own inner world, which she has been.

After being prodded a few times by Greyen, she nods, and waits for others to make room, before crawling forward to the exit, streeeeetching as a cat does as she goes, then summer salts out of the exit, before climbing down the rope, and streeeeetching further, lengthening each muscle and sinew in the first bit of her morning ritual.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Orc in the Playground

Entirinon

Stirring quietly, Entirinon moves slowly for the exit. Though his actions are smooth and controlled, you can see that he definitely could benefit from more sleep.

16. - Top - End - #226

Fethen

When Fethen is finished studying his spell book he looks to the others, Are we ready to go? I wast be free of this place as soon as possible.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Orc in the Playground

While the others study their spellbooks, Lialei cleans and maintains her gear as best she can without wasting any water, and has a bit of breakfast from her rations and water skin. If she managed to find any food in their travels thus far, she shared it with the group. That done, she then begins work on a map of the area they'd explored so far. Not a detailed one, but a general one. A small marking symbol she personally uses marks a particular spot with "here be mushrooms" and another marks the door they found earlier.

When people close up their spellbooks and look about ready to go, she removes her bow from her quiver, and strings it, tests the pull, then bounces on her feet, quickly dodging back and forth vrs an apparent enemy. When asked if she's ready, a smile and a nod are her answer. Don'tcha love morning people?

"I think we should examine that door. Even if we can't open it right now, if we know what we're looking for we're more likely to find the key as we explore the cave." She says, gesturing in that dirrection. "Then, before unlocking a path to a new area, I think we should make sure we don't have any threats to our back in this one, and know of any resources we can take advantage of here."

If the group concurs, and readies to move out, she will lead back to the door.

18. - Top - End - #228

Fethen

Fethen nods agreement and snapping off a quick spell points his finger at himself. Waving his finger over himself dirt and grim puffs off of him. He looks to the others Anyone fancy a cleaning, wizards style? his finger is still pointing forward.

-OOC Using prestidigitation for cleaning

If anyone accepts Fethen will points at them and clean them, it feels like warms air flowing from his finger tip.

When everyone else is ready Lets be off then. Fethen says as he readies his crossbow, double checking the tether to his vest.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Orc in the Playground

--Assuming you all take the time and make your way to the door. --

You find the door much as you left it. It stands many times your height and is imposing indeed. It's craftsmanship is unmached to anything you have seen before be it dwarven, elven, or even an artifact of the gods. This doorway seems to exude a strength and a purpose that you cannot fathom. Whatever treasure it guards must be great indeed for anything guarded by a treasure such as this door must be many times more valuable itself.

In its very centre almost twelve feet off the ground there is an opening that would appear to be a keyhole if it were not so overlarge and so high off the ground. It has the usual shape of a keyhole other than it's size and the slip-shod that securely blocks the opening from taking any key not designed for the opening it is far less remarkable than the door itself. Any key that fit suck a lock however would be as large as any of you if it was stood on its end.

Spoiler
    Show
    If anyone wants to do anything else while the others study the door feel free. Also any rolls you wish to make might reveal more information just post the here or OOC and i'll post a reply as soon as i can to append the information.
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

20. - Top - End - #230

Fethen

Fethen takes a moment to study the great door, he then quickly snaps off a spell. Hold this, please! He says to nothing as he hands his everburning torch to thin air which holds it there.

-OOC- Cast Unseen Servant 6 Hour duration

Anyone mind if we study this for a moment?
    Without waiting for an answer he sets his cross bow to hang at his waist as he takes out his sketching pad. As he studies the door he moves around it taking approximate measurements with a bit of string and a piece of chalk.

He even takes out a few other books he is carrying and studies those for a moment before putting them away.

Spoiler
    Show

Taking 20 to sketch for a 25-multiple sketches with details, etc.
    K:Arcana- (1d20+18)[37]
    K:A&E - (1d20+12)[27]
    K:Religion (1d20+9)[22]
    K:Planes (1d20+9)[13]
    Spellcraft (1d20+11)[19]
    Appraise - (1d20+4)[18]
    Last edited by Greyen; 2008-01-22 at 02:17 PM.

21. - Top - End - #231

Don't delay, Fethen. We have nothing to do with this door. And before anyone asks why, Bariaus quickly adds, It is because it is either way above or below our league. If the original owner is still alive, it is a being of enough power to overthrow the gods or an idiot. If it was a superpowerful creature, it wouldn't leave the door locked, and if it was an idiot, it also wouldn't leave the door locked. If someone occupied this, the usurper is way above our league, since such items as this door usually comes along with other powerful artifacts, which means we should leave well enough alone. So let's continue our journey and leave this door alone. We can always come back later. And by the way, judging the craftsmanship of the door, I'd say it was made for or by Titans, possibly greater ones. And with that, Bariaus walks back, to check other passages, without leaving very far away from the group.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Orc in the Playground

Entirinon

After waiting patiently for Fethen to finish his sketches, he begins to talk...

"Well. Lets go back to the area we all started out from... We need to find out if there are any new visitors. Then we can continue to map out this area." He pauses for a moment. "Finding a source of food and water is also priority. After all, we have no idea how long we will be down here."
    Last edited by Jael_Darkwood; 2008-01-22 at 06:08 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233

Fethen

Fethen closes his book with a thump. Thank you everyone for waiting for me. Clues about the creation and use of this door may lead us to clues about who and or what is doing this. But for now that is all it is worth. Let us be off. Fethen stows his books and sketching materials. He picks up his crossbow and tells the torch to follow him. He nods to Lailei as if to say that he is ready.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    What is knowledge A&E?

From your brief time spent studying and sketching the door you see a myriad of symbols you are unfamiliar with and you only notice them once you get ver close to the door and squint. The door is actually covered with them. Anywhere you assumed was a pock mark or flaw in the stone from the passage of time actually apears to be a very minute facet in the door itself. Each facet contains enough sigils and wards that it baffles you the amount of detail and precision it would take to carve such intricate patterns would surely take centuries, if not longer.

Most of the small pocks being smaller than the tip of your pencil you have a very hard time copying them or even viewing them reliably. If only you had your entile array of instruments to study them or some way to magnify the symbols. Either way simply sketching the door and noting its dimensions takes a considerable amount of time and skill. As you draw and ponder you realise that such a door must also be magical. The material it is made of does not appear to be native to this plane as much of the other dark rock you studied earlier seemed to be unfamiliar to your home plane.

Lastly you imagine and estimate the door to be priceless both as a means of defense and as an invaluable artifact it is surely without equal and priceless.
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

25. - Top - End - #235

Spoiler
    Show

K:A&E is Knowledge Architecture and Engineering

26. - Top - End - #236
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok. I have nothing to add to include that roll, i basically gave you all the information you can get from a one time look without any other background. If you have some questions your rolls might entitle you to have them answered but other than that my other post should be sufficient.
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...