New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,471 of 1471
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact IX: City of Weeping Ghosts

"And so the world didn't end after all ... and the alliance that Sethra had brokered between the dragons, drow, demons, yuan-ti and the undead fell apart. Sethra himself was never seen or heard from again.

"Once the siege of Hlondeth was lifted, the snakes melted away into the Orsraun Mountains and the nearby Wetwoods. The Queen resurfaced and, with no one around to say otherwise, was more than happy to take credit for saving the city. To this day, her descendants sit the Emerald Throne.

"Of course Iyachtu Xvim's reign lasted only until the Year of the Splendid Stag, as everyone knows. The Harpers like to take credit for driving him his followers back beneath the surface, but I like to think that it was the Baneson's defeats at Shandaular and Hlondeth at the hands of those unsung heroes back in the Year of Doom that planted the seeds of his destruction."

The bard picks at an untuned string, a skeptical frown on his face.

"I admit that it was an ... unusual story, m'lady, but I don't know if there's really a song in it, truth be told.

"If the heroes all died, sealed up in the ... uh, spiral thing, as you claim, then who was it exactly who lived to pass on the tale? And anyway, these days all anyone wants to hear about are the Red Wizards seceding from Mulhorand or the mysterious "dragon rider" sighted somewhere hereabouts.

"I'll have to sing for my supper tonight, and I don't know that a tale of a self-mutilating wizard, big cats, bird folk, a winged giantess, a flaming treant, a sarcastic gnome, dwarves, elves and paladins rising from the dead, half-elves and half-orcs with personality disorders, and a cast of dozens more fighting against some sort of madman no one has ever heard of is really stomach-filling material."

The bard slings his lute over his shoulder and rises, slapping the dust from his breeches.

"Speaking of which, I really ought to be heading off. I'm hoping to reach Urmlaspyr before sundown. Are you sure you don't want to walk with me? Two is better company than one after all, and I am sure that you can catch a boat there to take you wherever you want to go."

The old woman also rises from where she had been sitting beneath the tree. She smooths back her gray hair. A brass ring glistens on one finger - a snake biting its own tail.

"Actually I'm headed off in the other direction, but thank you for the offer."

The bard waves goodbye and strides jauntily down the road for a while before turning suddenly and calling out, "Hey! What did you say your name was again?"

The old woman doesn't stop walking, "I didn't!" she calls back over her shoulder before disappearing around a bend in the road.

Finis.
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2008-11-13 at 02:55 PM.