New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact IX: City of Weeping Ghosts

Retay Wyrmslayer

The barbarian swears loudly, and runs back to the front of the group. "Armour," he says as the Draconic-speakers taught him, activating the octagon ring.

"I do not fear death," he whispers, remembering his pledge to himself and the Iron Lord, and he begins cutting at the creature's legs with abandon.

Initiative - (1d20+2)[17]
    Attack - (1d20+10)[21]
    Damage - (1d12+4)[12]
    Key stats: AC 16, HP 65, DR 15
    Last edited by Naleh; 2007-11-19 at 01:59 PM. Reason: accidentally used wrong HP

2. - Top - End - #92
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGirl

Gala

Gala blinks as the huge form fills the tunnel in front of them. "There's no way this thing's going to let us just squeeze by", she mutters as various party members start doing their best to hide...at least, most of them. "Wait, are we fighting this thing or not?" Gala says in confusion at the differing actions of the group. Seeing Tiriel, Retay and Khazrael attack spur her into action and she heads towards the creature, intending to follow Tiriel and Retay's lead in attacking the legs.

[OOC: I'll figure out the rolls after I get a bit of sleep, if that's alright--it's almost 2:30 am here and I have trouble formatting them even when I'm alert.]

3. - Top - End - #93

DruidGirl

[OOC: Gala's rolls]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack roll - (1d20+12)[26]
    [Roll=Damage]1d10+5[/roll]
    [Roll=Electrical damage]1d6[/roll]

edited 'cuz I don't know how to do rolls!
    edit, again: gaaaah! fine, invisible castle for damage rolls it is:
    Damage (1d10+5=15, 1d6=2)
    Last edited by Aveda; 2007-11-18 at 09:41 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94

Fizahn:

A retriever, huh? Maybe it's just after Zedoras and it won't notice us... Unfortunately things usually notice if someone's there trying to hack it to pieces with a big sword or axe... Lovely... Well, I can't let them die... Except Grynde. Fizahn springs out of his hiding place and tumbles behind the monster. He twirls his dagger and slices at the demonic thing as he comes up.

OOC: initiative: - (1d20+3)[18]
    tumble: - (1d20+11)[16]
    attack - (1d20+12)[28]
    damage: - (1d4+3)[6]
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

As the huge monster approaches, Anika and Elthan press themselves farther back into the shadows. Damian activates the dragonfly ring and presses himself into a small crevice. Aeroz and Tryntha fall back cautiously. Adalmar ducks, moving with unnatural rapidity, behind a rock outcropping and readies his bow next to Fizahn who has his weapon poised for attack.

Callos, too, presses back into the wall to make room for the insectoid demon to pass, only to turn to see Grynde blocking the monster's way, his twin swords bared.

The monster halts, looking down at the half-elf impassively.

Suddenly, a flash of violet lightning strikes the monster, and Tiriel, Retay and Gala charge at the beast's legs, their weapons swinging in powerful arcs.

Their weapons clang and spark as they bite into the creature's armored hide. Tiriel's flaming sword pierces the monster's neck, and she whoops in triumph anticipating a geyser of blood as she withdraws her weapon. To her surpise and dismay, the wounds draw no blood. Though deep, the wounds expose only vaguely mechanical tendons or cables.

Damian's eyes open wide as he recognizes the construction for what it is - a type of mechanical golem ...

Reacting instantly, but without emotion, the construct lashes out with its legs, slashing through weapon parries and armor with impunity. Grynde, Tiriel, Retay, and Gala are all wounded in an instant (though Retay's injury is a surprisingly mild scratch). Simultaneously, the monster turns and fixes its gaze upon Khazrael. A thin white beam of light pins Khazrael against the wall, chilling him to the bone. A thin layer of frost covers the feather-haired sorceror and spiders across the stone behind him.

Almost unnoticed, Fizahn leaps from his hiding place and stabs the monster as he tumbles between its legs.

OOC: The retrieves takes 75 points of damage. Grynde is hit for 18 points of damage. Tiriel is hit for 20, taking 15 points of damage (DR 5). Retay is hit for 22, taking 7 points of damage (ironskin). Gala is hit for 18. Khaz is hit by an eyebeam for 37 points (make a reflex save for half damage - he will take either 32 or 13 points of cold damage).
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-11-19 at 10:28 AM.

6. - Top - End - #96

Khazrael

A gasp is all that escapes Khazrael's lips before he falls to the ground.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reflex save:
    1d20+3=6 (cold resistance 5) HP: 24-32=-8
    Last edited by Koji; 2007-11-19 at 10:12 AM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

"Did any of you hear me talking to Grynde?! 'Get out of the way' I said, 'It's probably after Zeodoras'. But none of you listened to me and now we have to fight it! I hope your all happy!"

Was all the frustrated noises that Callos could make as he sprang out from where he had been flattening himself and began to intone ominously. The necromancer could feel the building arcane energies and struggled to move in the tight quarters so he wouldn't accidentally hit any of his adventuring companions.

"Get out of the way unless you want to be burned!" He finally shouted out before letting the familiar flame spell come ripping from his finger tips towards the retriever...

Spoiler
    Show

Init: (1d20+1)[16]

Going to try and move so the burning hands won't catch party members on accident, or barring that, hold the spell until they move then do it.

Burning Hands damage: (5d4)[12] Save DC: 13
    Last edited by Callos_DeTerran; 2007-11-19 at 10:24 AM.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Tryntha

The healer smiles behind her mask as she sees her companions successfully attacking the beast. She fails to notice the lack of blood spilling from its wounds as Khazreal is laid low by a ray of cold shooting from its eyes.

Moving quickly she kneels in front of the sorceror and plants her shield in front of her. Hopefully shielding herself and Kazhreal from further harm she drops her spear to the ground and begins incanting a spell to knit his wounds.

Spoiler
    Show

Spontaneously Casting Lesser Restoration onto Cure Moderate Wounds.

Cure Moderate Wounds - (2d8+12)[22] (Caster level +1 (8) from Healing domain, +4 bonus healing from Augement Healing feat)

9. - Top - End - #99

Damian

Well, hiding's not going to work now. A construct, hmm? Here's hoping that trick I learned works as well against demon constructs as it does against wizarding ones. And hoping I can calm my hands enough...

When the others step back from the demon as Callos blasts it, with a swift motion, Damian drops one of his daggers and pulls the loaded crossbow from his back, quietly murmuring a word in Draconic as he looses the bolt toward the demon. A flicker of magic courses through him as his muscles lock and aim the crossbow towards what looks like an innocuous spot on the demon.

Spoiler
    Show

Casting golemstrike (swift action casting time, can sneak attack constructs this round).
    Attack: 1d20+9=20
    Damage: 1d8+2d6=15

His cover blown, he looks to the others and calls out. "It's a machine! Don't bother with any spells that would affect its mind! Callos! What do you know about what this thing can do? Can it cast spells or does it just blast us to bits?"

A thought crosses Damian's mind, and he quickly glances around. "And if one of us has been lying and has that missing ring, now would be a damned good time to use it, rather than die!"
    Last edited by barawn; 2007-11-19 at 06:06 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100

Adalmar

While part of him wonders with Callos why anybody in their right mind would provoke the mechanical entity, the other part of him is already commanding his muscles to loose arrows at the Retriever.

He considers checking on Khazrael, but Tryntha is there already and she'll be a lot more efficient than him anyway.

Spoiler
    Show

Forgot those in the previous post :
    Hide - (1d20+15)[23]
    Init - (1d20+4)[7]
    Attack :
    Manyshot - (1d20+11)[14] (9 + 1 Haste + 1 Precise Shot) vs flatfooted AC
    Damage - (1d8+2)[4] Electricity - (1d6)[6]
    Damage - (1d8+2)[8] Electricity - (1d6)[5]
    (-2 arrows)
    Last edited by namo; 2007-11-19 at 04:09 PM.
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Anika

Alright then, I guess we're fighting it...

Anika darts out from the shadows and hacks at the retriever's legs, figuring that it's the only way she can cripple it. Her sword simply bounces off its armor. This would be so much easier against a living creature...

(OOC: Attack Roll (1d20+8=12))
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

12. - Top - End - #102

Goblin

Retay Wyrmslayer

The barbarian isn't especially close to anyone in the group. He never has been. But these people... respected him. They treated him as a comrade.

And now, one of them lies on the ground, covered in frost - dead, as far as Retay knows. This doesn't please him.

The barbarian roars.

Spoiler
    Show
    Activate Rage
    Key statistics: AC 14, HP 72, DR 15, Init 17

Attack 1 - (1d20+12)[20]
    Damage - (1d12+7)[11]
    Attack 2 - (1d20+7)[23]
    Damage - (1d12+7)[12]
    Last edited by Naleh; 2007-11-19 at 07:54 PM. Reason: added spoiler tags

13. - Top - End - #103
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Grynde

With nary a sound passing his lips, Grynde charges forwards, eyes shining with maniacal energy as he brings his combat powers to bear upon the foe, intent on reducing it's artificial form to dust.

Spoiler
    Show

"Initiative" - (1d20+2)[7]
    "Attack 1" - (1d20+8)[18]
    "Attack 2" - (1d20+8)[11]
    "Attack 3" - (1d20+3)[6]
    "Attack 4" - (1d20+3)[4]
    "Damage" - (1d6+3)[4]
    "Damage" - (1d6+3)[9]
    "Damage" - (1d6+2)[6]
    "Damage" - (1d6+2)[4]
    Whew, that's a lot of rolls. They'd better all work.
    Edit: I would just like to say that, Forum Roller™, I HATE YOU. I will never use you again. Never, I say!!!
    Last edited by Matticus; 2007-11-20 at 02:34 AM.

14. - Top - End - #104

Tiriel

Tiriel grunts when the creature's arm hits her. It hurts but nothing is broken. Okay, so it doesn't bleed and it hits hard too. Time to end this. Somehow...

attack - (1d20+11)[25]
    damage - (1d8+7)[13], fire damage - (1d6)[5]
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

15. - Top - End - #105

Fizahn:

We're in over our heads... again. That's the brief summary of my life. Hey. Callos is burning stuff with his magic. Hopefully it's not me... Fizahn ignores Callos's warning and stands his ground behind the retriever. "Go ahead, burn. I'll be fine." His dagger flashes twice as he strikes at the beast and he gracefully dodges Callos's flames. "Can't burn me. I'm too fast..."

Attack1: - (1d20+12)[22] (-2 if not flanking)
    Damage1: - (1d4+3)[5]
    Attack2 - (1d20+7)[19] (ditto)
    Damage2: - (1d4+3)[4]
    Reflex: - (1d20+9)[29] Evasion, no damage.
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-11-20 at 10:13 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

16. - Top - End - #106

DruidGirl

Gala

Gala shakes off the Retriever's attack and stays in the fray. She hears Callos' warning and will try to move out of the way, but taking this thing down takes priority. Sparks of electricity run over her bastard sword and she renews the attack.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107

Tryntha plants her shield and covers Khazrael with her body. Immediately the frost melts from his skin and clothing. He gasps and opens his eyes, shivering.

Anika leaps out of the shadows, stabbing and slashing at the construct's legs, while Grynde charges forward in a direct assault, his twin swords weaving tight arcs about his body. The half-elf is intercepted by a claw that impales him in the shoulder, piercing his studded leather armor, stopping him in his tracks.

Flame erupts from Callos' fingertips, and Adalmar sends a flurry of arrows toward the retriever. Both are forced to aim around their comrades, however, and as a result neither is able to strike the monster solidly.

The retriever fights with mechanical precision, each limb seeking a different target with near lethal accuracy. It slashes Tiriel, Retay and Gala again and again (though Retay's ironskin protects him from serious harm). Only Katrin, moving with astounding grace, manages to dodge the monster's claws altogether.

Fizahn almost finds himself caught in the retreiver's maws, but his small size saves him, and he manages to tumble to safety.

Your party's fighters, however, give as good as they get. As their weapons hack and slash at the construct's limbs, one by one its legs begin to tremble, then collapse.

As the retriever begins to shudder and slow down, Damian carefully aims his crossbow and fires a bolt directly into the construct's large central eye. The retriever sags instantly, like a broken marionette.

As it crashes to the cave floor, an electric bolt leaps from one of its intact eyes and strikes Callos, who barely has time to twist away. The necromancer is blown backwards into Aeroz. The two men fall to the ground in a smoking heap ...

OOC: Grynde is hit by an AoO. Retriever misses Katrin and Fizahn, but hits Tiriel, Retay and Gala. Retriever hits Callos with an electric ray. Accumulated damage by Callos, Retay, Tiriel, Fizahn, Gala and Damian are sufficient to destroy the retriever.
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-11-21 at 12:34 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108

Khazrael

A shaking hand grasps Tryntha's shoulder a little too tightly as Khazrael pulls himself to his feet.

"Th-th-thanks--" He stammers.

The sorcerer takes a second to pull himself together before turning to Zeodoras.

"I'm guessing the retriever was out gathering up deserters. Who is your master, and what's he gonna send after you now that we've scrapped his old pet?"

19. - Top - End - #109

Damian

When the retriever drops, Damian immediately scrambles out of the crevice he had been hiding behind, picks up his dagger, and heads over to the retriever, taking only a moment to deactivate the dragonfly ring, his outline quickly coming back into focus. Passing by Khazrael, he whispers quietly to the sorcerer. "Don't let him get away, and don't forget - if there's anything 'special' he can do that would make our lives troublesome, I can take it away from him."

Standing by the retriever, he looks over to the unhurt Anika and Fizahn, he motions for them to come over. "Anika, Fizahn. Can you help me search this thing? I don't have a clue how this thing works, but we might want to make sure that it hasn't already 'retrieved' something else that might be trapped inside of it."

Moving without a moment's hesitation, he loads his crossbow with a new bolt and slips it back onto his back, before kneeling down and beginning to slice open and search through the retriever's remains.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: What the heck, can't hurt.
    Search - (1d20+7)[9]
    Last edited by barawn; 2007-11-21 at 08:48 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110

Adalmar

He is disappointed by his own performance, but takes solace in the fact that they all made it through the first fight. He takes a moment to verify that his bow is correctly strung, then walks back to the group. He remains silent, as often.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Grynde

The battle over for now, Grynde walks to the edge of the passageway and sits himself down, resting his back against the wall only after taking a small wooden stick out of his pack.

Spoiler
    Show

Going to use my brand spanking new Wand of Cure Light Wounds a few times.
    15 HP healed.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

Eyes widened in dismay (to say the least) as the ray leaped towards him, and he found himself far too slow to get entirely out of the way of it.

"Bloody he..!"

The next thing he knew was the surge of electricity surging through his body and throwing him backwards. An entirely all too familiar feeling until he ran into Aeroz in a smoking heap. By the time his muscles stopped involuntarily twitching, he had pulled himself up to his feet, shuddering some, and turned a glare to the little demon. A few arcane words and gestures later and his hand glowed with a sickly green hue surrounding his skeletal hand.

Spoiler
    Show
    Vampiric Touch, holding the charge.

Storming over to the quasit, he growled out a single word while he held up his glowing hand towards it.

"Explain."
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Anika

Anika shrugs. No one seems to be mortally wounded, and besides, Tryntha was a cleric, able to heal with magic, whereas Anika could do little more than stopping the bleeding. "Sure, I'll help you look..."

(OOC: Search Check (1d20+6=11))
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

24. - Top - End - #114

Fizahn:

Fizahn shrugs and moves over to the construct's remains. "Might as well check. Could be something valuable there." He begins sifting through the remains looking for anything odd or shiny.

Search: - (1d20+12)[25]
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

25. - Top - End - #115

Anika, Fizahn and Damian poke through the inert remains of the retriever while Callos and Khazrael confront Zeodoras, cowering against a wall near Aeroz.

The quasit quickly regains its composure now that the retriever has been destroyed. The tiny demon considers its options and seems to come to some sort of decision.

"When the retriever does not return, she will know that something has gone awry and will send more - perhaps two or three in its place. This will occur in less than one cycle.

"Spare my life, mighty ones, and I will guide you to her. No doubt the vampire bitch is your target, is she not?"

With a cry of triumph, Fizahn pulls his arm out of the mechanical entrails of the retriever. In his small hand, he holds a blue crystal.
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-11-22 at 11:40 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116

Khazrael

A grin spreads across Khazrael's face and he looks directly into the little demon's eyes.

"Then, Zeodoras, you will guide us to her, and we will kill her for you. I for one would like nothing more than to burn her and her vampire lackeys to a crisp. But what guarantee do we have that you won't betray us?"

Before the demon answers, he looks up to his allies and says, "I know many of you might have qualms about working with a demon. If nobody minds, I'd like to take personal responsibility for the little guy. I think there's a lot he could teach me about myself...I mean, it's not like my powers came with an instruction manual, and the more I can get a hold on them, the longer we'll all live."

He looks back to the quasit, speaking in its native tongue.

"So then, Zeodoras, you've offered to guide us to her, but will you do us one better and serve me in exchange for my protection? I'm sure you'll find me a bit more benevolent than Valentine. Moreover, I have the means and the knowledge to bind our spirits, and thereby make both of us quite a bit more powerful, something I'm sure she never deigned to do for any of her servants..."
    Last edited by Koji; 2007-11-22 at 03:18 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117

Tiriel

Tiriel grins as the mechanical monstrosity goes down. Things had gotten a little scary there for a moment when most of the group decided to hide instead of fighting. But in the end it had worked out okay. They were all alive, a little bloody, but alive.

Tiriel takes a moment to review the short but furious battle. She'd already known that Retay could more than hold up his fair share in a fight but she'd been pleasantly surprised to see the other woman, Gala, do just as well. Unsurprisingly, Grynde had seem to do little but draw attention to himself.

Ugh well we won but I think most of us in the front line could use some healing... she thinks to herself, sitting down on the floor. She watches with detached interest as the retriever's body is picked over and Callos threatens the demon...
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

28. - Top - End - #118

Damian

When Fizahn pulls out the blue crystal, Damian's eyes immediately flash blue for a moment, studying the crystal with arcane sense. Knowing Fizahn, that crystal could vanish in a moment... "Looks like this wasn't such a foolish idea after all. Wonder what that was doing inside of it."

OOC: Detect Magic, first time/day (2 remaining). If it is magical, he'll call for Elthan, seeing as Callos and Khazrael are busy.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119

Fizahn:

Fizahn shrugs as Damian asks about the gem. "I'm not sure what it was doing in there. My dad made some constructs before he went insane. As far as I can recall, he liked to use gems for eyes. I think they also turned into something of a power source, but I have no idea really." Fizahn pockets the gem and moves forward. "Hey, if we've got a guide, we should get going... After injuries are tended to, of course."
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-11-24 at 10:14 AM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

30. - Top - End - #120

Adalmar

"Yes, let's move forward. Tryntha, can you take care of the injuries while we're walking ? I can use my wand too."

And the ranger takes out his torch again, starting down the path. He walks slowly at first, to give everyone time to regain their bearings.