New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Dunsany.

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Dunsany.

So, with so many fantasy fans here, there must be a few other fans of Lord Dunsany here. And, if not, there are at last lots of people who should be fans of Dunsany.

For those who don't know, Dunsany was probably the first modern fantasy writer; his first book, The Gods of Pegāna, was the first to entirely invent its own mythology. Most of his others, like The Fortress Unvanquishable, Save for Sacnoth, are the stories that set the mould on which entire fields of fantasy were later based.

The only thing is that reading things he wrote is sometimes a little sad, in that you realize how much of modern fantasy is just trying to imitate him and failing.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dunsany.

I've personally never read any of Dunsany's work, but I think I might like it if I did. I love H.P. Lovecraft's work, and he sights Dunsany as one of his key influences, so it's likely I'd like that as well.

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Lovecraft may have said that, but Dunsany isn't really much like Lovecraft's work--Dunsany is a lot lighter and more fantasy-oriented.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

His similarities with Lovecraft are mainly in that they both invented cosmologies (Dunsany's Gods of Pegana vs what became the "deities" of the Cthulhu Mythos) and a certain portion of Lovecraft's work (what is now known as the Dreamlands stories) have a definite Dunsany vibe. Dunsany actually represented what Lovecraft aspired to be: a gentleman who wrote not because it paid the bills, but because he loved doing it.

I highly recommend both writers for fans of fantasy (in the sense of the fantastic, not just the fantasy genre as it has become) and the weird (because it's hard to really shoehorn Lovecraft's work into conventional genres, some Sci-fi, some fantasy, some horror, all of it is strange).

While we're mentioning specific works, in addition to the ones listed already, Dunsany's short novel The King of Elfland's Daughter is a good one too.
    Take your best shot, everyone else does.
    Avatar by Guildorn Tanaleth. See other avatars below.

Spoiler
    Show
    My original avatar and much better ones by groundhog22 and a Winter Olympics one by Rae Artemi.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    I've personally never read any of Dunsany's work, but I think I might like it if I did. I love H.P. Lovecraft's work, and he sights Dunsany as one of his key influences, so it's likely I'd like that as well.
    Well, much of it is in the public domain on account of how long ago it was published. I linked to two in my original post; The Fortress Unvanquishable, Save for Sacnoth is a short story brief enough to read in a few minutes or so.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Erm, yes, I'm a fan as you might have gathered from the screen name.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTarget View Post
    While we're mentioning specific works, in addition to the ones listed already, Dunsany's short novel The King of Elfland's Daughter is a good one too.
    Yes, great book. It's more like a dream or a fairy tale than a modern fantasy novel - there's no real characterization and no maps and appendices and explanations, but the atmosphere and the sense of wonder and magic are what it's all about.

Of the short stories, I really like Bethmoora and (don't do drugs, kids) The Hashish Man and The Exiles' Club.