New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Ah ha! The ninja can't be Haley

In #484, you see the ninja in one of the bubbles in the first splash panel, she's on a ship. In a bubble in the second panel, Haley is in the city. As we can assume these things are happening at the same time, The ninja can't be Haley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Ooooh, Zak is back!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Death Knight by Threeshades, Werewolf Knight by boomwolf

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Ah ha! The ninja can't be Haley

You know, you'd think that Therkla being a half-orc would have been enough of a hint, but NO...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, disguise is on the rogues in class skills...albeit with a penalty for a different race...
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    You know, you'd think that Therkla being a half-orc would have been enough of a hint, but NO...
    Poster) It is Haley!

Gan) No it isn't. It's a half-orc.

Poster #2) Hey wow guys its Halley!!!

Gan) No, She's called Therkla. She's green.

Poster #3) Hailey was killed an now shes resurekted and working for Kubota!!!

Gan) This half-orc has been seen at the same time as Haley. It's not her.

You can't even slow 'em down, Ganurath; it's crazy to think you can stop 'em.

(Apologies to Zakama and SoD if they haven't read the main thread yet. But, you know, you should have done... )
    Last edited by Caractacus; 2007-11-07 at 01:16 PM.
    Caractacus

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yes. This will likely be the new "V's gender" till we next see Haley.

Even then, someone's gonna follow the other equally ridiculous idea, that it's a goblin. A very specific goblin from the SoD.

It's a funny thing, really. We always want to see order, see connetions, so badly that we see them when they aren't there. It's a very old tendency, perhaps as old as humans themselves. Certainly as old as the Renaissance. Francis Bacon, one of the starters of the Scientific Revolution, named it as one of his four Idols of the Mind. He called it "the Idols of the Tribe". It was humanities tendency to see more order and regularity in a system than was actually there, and claimed it resulted from people's preconceived notions.

Maybe that's where it comes from, maybe not. But it's there, all right. It's everywhere.

Like it or not, it's here.
    Wait. I think I just failed a spot check. Really? I don't see anything. Exactly.
    Goblin Ninjas: Ummm... We're like RIGHT here. Wait! I think I just failed a listen check.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Who on earth was saying that the ninja was haley? that doesn't even begin to make sense.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EvilJames View Post
    Who on earth was saying that the ninja was haley? that doesn't even begin to make sense.
    Half a dozen people. Another half say she's

(SoD spoilers)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Right-eye's missing daughter. Which is equally ridiculous because said daughter was sent away to be raised by HUMANS... not half-orcs.
    Wait. I think I just failed a spot check. Really? I don't see anything. Exactly.
    Goblin Ninjas: Ummm... We're like RIGHT here. Wait! I think I just failed a listen check.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Caractacus View Post
    Poster) It is Haley!

Gan) No it isn't. It's a half-orc.

Poster #2) Hey wow guys its Halley!!!

Gan) No, She's called Therkla. She's green.

Poster #3) Hailey was killed an now shes resurekted and working for Kubota!!!

Gan) This half-orc has been seen at the same time as Haley. It's not her.

You can't even slow 'em down, Ganurath; it's crazy to think you can stop 'em.

(Apologies to Zakama and SoD if they haven't read the main thread yet. But, you know, you should have done... )
    Does Therkla show up in SoD? I haven't read it, so sorry if this is blatantly obvious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Ooooh, Zak is back!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Death Knight by Threeshades, Werewolf Knight by boomwolf

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maratanos View Post
    Half a dozen people. Another half say she's

(SoD spoilers)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Right-eye's missing daughter. Which is equally ridiculous because said daughter was sent away to be raised by HUMANS... not half-orcs.
    Regardless of that...

Spoiler
    Show
    Goblins have yellow eyes and a different color of skin. See here.
    Last edited by Chrismith; 2007-11-07 at 02:02 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

No she doesn't. And quite frankly the whole "Haley is the ninja" theory is pretty DUMB. Report me to the mods if you will, but I stand by my statement.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, it *is* impossible, but not because of that:

Spoiler
    Show

1. Being raised by half-orcs does not make you look like a half-orc
    2. The actual quote is that *she* was sent away to be raised by humans... or something worse.

I'm fairly certain the subsequent posters who say Therkla = Haley are just trying to stoke the Internet Backdraft and that the original-original poster probably said it as a joke. It is absolutely obvious that Therkla cannot be Haley, unless you presume that in the subsequent months Haley swam across the sea to a rapidly moving fleet of ships, found Therkla, killed her, and flawlessly assumed her disguise, even though Therkla's boss is probably demonic, but certainly telepathic.

Now, there are very good reasons why Therkla cannot be *her* too:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As Ganurath pointed out (many, many times), Goblins have a very different physiology from what we see in Therkla. Whether or not she is half-orc remains to be seen (though it is likely) but she is certainly not a Goblin.

Yet, if the above tinfoil-hat crazy theory is correct, it would be awesome... and by that I mean totally sweet.

As such, I invoke the Rule of Cool to declare my theory correct by fiat. In the (likely) event I am wrong, I shall still have hopes that *she* will appear later in OotS (in an equivalently awesome sense).

However, if I am right... I'll have showed you all! You, who laughed at my theories, calling them mad, mad! Muwahahahahaha!
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

My beleif, although simple, is thus: Therkla=some random half orc ninja (possibly assassin) who, until now, has had nothing to do with the comic, except for appearing once.

Although it tecnically is possible for Haley to've killed the real Therkla and then disguised herself as Therkla and managed to trick everyone...somehow I doubt it. Also, Therkla=half orc (possibly full blooded orc...don't think we've seen one yet), NOT a goblin.

My theory will never gain any appeal, it makes to much sense...I know! Therkla is V, who is secretly in legue with the weird black disembodied voice and is, in fact, having romantic experiences with him, but, in reality, it's Hinjo in disguise, and the Hinjo everyone thinks is real is just an illusion Elan created so nobody would panic when the real Hinjo went missing on his watch, and the real Hinjo doesn't know that Therkla is really V! It's so crazy and impossible, people will start saying it everywhere! Yes! Instant fame!

@ Oraclehunter: and they think that you're mad.
    Last edited by SoD; 2007-11-07 at 02:20 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    SoD is my favorite too.
    SoD casts Pun
    TigerHunter dies.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SoD View Post
    My theory will never gain any appeal, it makes to much sense...I know! Therkla is V, who is secretly in legue with the weird black disembodied voice and is, in fact, having romantic experiences with him, but, in reality, it's Hinjo in disguise, and the Hinjo everyone thinks is real is just an illusion Elan created so nobody would panic when the real Hinjo went missing on his watch, and the real Hinjo doesn't know that Therkla is really V! It's so crazy and impossible, people will start saying it everywhere! Yes! Instant fame!

@ Oraclehunter: and they think that you're mad.
    Don't try to out-crazy the founding member of the Tinfoil Hats Alliance! You clearly haven't read my theory from the Girl Genius thread, which is even crazier than that... because it involves Time Travel!

BTW if you don't read it, you should! Here!
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, please. I may not have started the Tinfoil Hats Alliance, but have you created a religion that worships a Flying Moose and a LLama in a Tree and fears the Floating Head of Doom Mwahaha? I think not. And that's without even trying.

Spoiler
    Show
    SoD is my favorite too.
    SoD casts Pun
    TigerHunter dies.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

her being Haley is about as stupid as thinking miko really is thor in disguise...if nothing else, she'd call him by his name..

I'd love the notion of her being a goblin and somehow related to redcloak
    (I'd love to see her side with the OOTS in that case..and confront her "relation"...or even better..confront Haley when she joins the party again..a pirate-oriented rogue and a ninja having a scrap over their loved one.. )

but this is surely out of the question.
    I've no idea of how you guys got to the conclusion she must be a half-orc...but I don't really care
    I do have one doubt, however....who the heck is Right-eye...and what am I missing here?
    and aren't we giving too much attention to a npc of near 0 value?
    it seems that the "boobs factor" has cut in once again
    Last edited by dehro; 2007-11-07 at 02:55 PM.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

You know, without Redcloak casting Time Stop, getting a hobgoblin wizard or Azure refugee wizard to Teleport her onto the boat, then Charming the demon and Kubota into thinking that they know her, then having a change of heart and not killing them, Haley couldn't be the Half-Orc Ninja.
    Plus, he'd have to get a druid to Reincarnate her...
    So it's possible, but there's a 0.5% chance. I can't really believe the people who think it's Haley.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    I've no idea of how you guys got to the conclusion she must be a half-orc...but I don't really care
    Well, regardless of whether or not you care, here's the reason AGAIN for posterity: she has the same skin color.

Yup, that's pretty much it. Not the greatest reason, but Occam's razor kills just about anything else in the absence of further information.

I do have one doubt, however....who the heck is Right-eye...and what am I missing here?
    Right-Eye is from Start of Darkness: (SoD spoiler)
    Spoiler
    Show
    specifically, he's Redcloak's little brother. He's dead, too.

and aren't we giving too much attention to a npc of near 0 value?
    it seems that the "boobs factor" has cut in once again
    No, we're not giving her too much attention because she's not an NPC of near 0 value.

Not even close. We've had Kazumi and Daigo tagging along with the PCs off and on for probably 50 strips by now. They started out nameless, for pity's sake. And now they're probably the only pro-Hinjo nobles around. They're certainly not "near-zero value".

And Therkla's gotten a name right away. Every single named NPC has either only appeared had a fair amount of significance for at least a small portion of the comic.

For God's sake, she's an assassin. Trying to kill HINJO. That alone gives her a great deal of significance, especially since she's ALSO named.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

And Therkla's gotten a name right away. Every single named NPC has either only appeared had a fair amount of significance for at least a small portion of the comic.

For God's sake, she's an assassin. Trying to kill HINJO. That alone gives her a great deal of significance, especially since she's ALSO named.
    you might be right, but it's still a "boobies factor", if you ask me..
    but yeah..I guess we'll see her again
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

To pound another nail into the coffin of Haley the half-orc ninja:

Both plot and the facts put Haley still in the city.
    Plot utilty should be obvious, but Durkon, and likely V, have presumably been sending daily messages to Haley. While mechanics are not necessarily certain, it would be amazing if they did not know whether the message was blocked [=Haley is still in city] instead of received [=Haley out of city]. They may have trouble locating Haley, but they would know she is out of the city and alive. Since they don't know this, Haley is not on the ship with them.

Now if we insist on an explanation for a "resemblance" between the two ladies beyond that stick figures just don't allow infinite variation,
    Spoiler
    Show
    the ninja is Haley's half sister. Dad seems to have been a travelling man [sometimes necessary for a rogue with the law after him] and had a little fun with an orc lass some years back. That might even work out as plot useful.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Hey, that's even an original idea.
    My random thoughts about:
    Dungeon Crawling Fools - OtOoPCs - NCftPB - War and XPs

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EvilJames View Post
    "Sense" is something for which I've mostly given up looking. For the good aprt of your sanity, the part you want to keep, I recommend a similar abandonment.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    you might be right, but it's still a "boobies factor", if you ask me..
    but yeah..I guess we'll see her again
    Gah! Get yer stinkin' mind outta tha gutter!

Seriously. Out of EVERYTHING I've read, YOU are the ONLY PERSON proposing ANYONE has an attraction toward Therkla.

23. - Top - End - #23

biggrin Re: Ah ha! The ninja can't be Haley

[QUOTE=Maratanos;3479537]Yes. This will likely be the new "V's gender" till we next see Haley.[QUOTE]

Wait! Are you implying that we have seen V's "thingy"?!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Gah! Get yer stinkin' mind outta tha gutter!

Seriously. Out of EVERYTHING I've read, YOU are the ONLY PERSON proposing ANYONE has an attraction toward Therkla.
    I'll consider this proof that everything I've said about Therkla is being ignored en masse, not just the piles of logic pointing away from her being Haley or a goblin.

25. - Top - End - #25

Yes. This will likely be the new "V's gender" till we next see Haley.

Even then, someone's gonna follow the other equally ridiculous idea, that it's a goblin. A very specific goblin from the SoD.

It's a funny thing, really. We always want to see order, see connetions, so badly that we see them when they aren't there. It's a very old tendency, perhaps as old as humans themselves. Certainly as old as the Renaissance. Francis Bacon, one of the starters of the Scientific Revolution, named it as one of his four Idols of the Mind. He called it "the Idols of the Tribe". It was humanities tendency to see more order and regularity in a system than was actually there, and claimed it resulted from people's preconceived notions.

Maybe that's where it comes from, maybe not. But it's there, all right. It's everywhere.

Like it or not, it's here.
    It's a soap opera of a webcomic, about D&D, written by a human. You'd be a moron to say it WASN'T ordered.

26. - Top - End - #26

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    She could be Haley's Half-Orc near identical sister.
    The United Federation of Charles: Video Games, Books, and Movie reviews by a quirky writer.
    http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tor the Fallen View Post
    It's a soap opera of a webcomic, about D&D, written by a human. You'd be a moron to say it WASN'T ordered.
    Nah, you missed it. There is a certain level of order, interconnectivity, correlation in anything. The point is we see MORE than there is.

If there weren't this tendency, this image would never have been created.

I'm not saying OotS is random. I'm just saying it's not Dirk Gently. It's not random, but neither is Therkla Haley.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Nah, you missed it. There is a certain level of order, interconnectivity, correlation in anything. The point is we see MORE than there is.

If there weren't this tendency, this image would never have been created.

I'm not saying OotS is random. I'm just saying it's not Dirk Gently. It's not random, but neither is Therkla Haley.
    I have to say that you bring up a good point.

I also have to say that I find it humorous that I recall hearing about the correlation between the number of pirates and global before.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mikeejimbo View Post
    I have to say that you bring up a good point.

I also have to say that I find it humorous that I recall hearing about the correlation between the number of pirates and global before.
    Of course you did. Check the URL. Venganza.org is the homepage of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster... ;)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

I think people are missing a key point. Some seem to think this ninja is Haley because she is attracted to Elan. Actually a couple points:

All the females in OOTS have been attracted to Elan. And, I might add, all the females on this forum. And apparently, several of the males. IOW, it's hardly noteworthy.

Point 2: The words this person said are nothing like Haley's words. The Giant doesn't typically make mistakes like that. It's someone else, folks.