New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default High Level Stealth Campaign

You all have, for your own reasons been wandering the north of the sword coast; Tel Kar you have travelled to the north in search of a legendary assassin who is rumored to have travelled in this direction, Mantis you have travelled here to investigate rumors of a large mage duel with one or possibly two dead mages and an increadible amount of oppertunities for your fledgling theives guild, Aggerd your wanderings have taken you across much of the Relms but now they take you back to the sword coast, Thufir Hawat you have followed your orders to the letter searching high and low for these mistyrious adventurers you were to meet.
    The only thing in common with all your stories to this point is that you all arrived this morning in a small trading town called High-Ford, a no-where town on the merchants road between Water Deep and his would not be a reason for remark except for the fact that all of you found a strange note in your possesion not long after entering the town. Writen on black paper with silver ink, the note says only "Meet me at The Twisted Bough at sun set, I have an offer you can't refuse". You see no-one who loks out of place, nor do you know how the note ended up in your pocket, but the Twisted Bough is the name of the only inn in the town. As you are considering you options, the note disintegrates and not even an small amount of dust is left in your hand. It is about an hour before noon, what do you do?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: High Level Stealth Campaign

Tel Kar decides to head towards the inn immediately, giving him a chance to stake out the location beforehand and avoid being trapped should it prove to be an ambush. His right hand slid into his pocket, fingering the handle of the Stiehl. Even if it was an ambush, nothing they could bring to bear could stand against the combined might of his skill and the Stiehl's magic. Nothing ever had, and nothing ever would.

He entered the inn shortly after noon and sat himself at a table on the far edge of the inn, facing the door. His trained senses quickly scanned the building, noting all exits and searching for anyone or anything worth noticing. He waited patiently, remaining relatively unobtrusive, his arms crossed and his silver bladed dagger concealed in his right hand.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot check to search the room for anyone or anything unusual. Sleight of Hand to conceal the Stiehl in his hand.

Spot - (1d20+18)[22]
    SleightofHand - (1d20+10)[23]
    Thanks to Thormag for my Legion avatar.

Current Characters:

Lily Nightingale, a.k.a. Sparrow, in V for Victory (OoC)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thufir looks at the note smiling, he slips into a deserted street and puts on his ring of invisibility. Soon he is off to the inn, he sneaks through the main room (move silently (d20+27)[43]) and is soon hanging from a rafter waiting something to happen.

NOTE: Thufir is wearing a ring of arcane sight he can see all magical auras within 120ft, he is can recive a spelcraft check to identify the auras. (basicly, detect madic but better)

After he has hidden himself away he looks around the room, his eyes are drawn to a man sitting by hiself. This man has his hand resting on a powerful magic item, he is worth watching.
    Last edited by kentma57; 2007-11-08 at 07:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    As a druid, I have the right to bear arms, the right to arm bears, and I've killed men with my bear hands.
    Avatar by kpenguin, Teal'c rocks...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Aggerd looks at the dust in his hand an laughs. He was afraid this little town would be so boring, but this looks... promising.

A few minutes later a middle-aged gnome who appears to be a little behind on personal fitness walks into the inn and orders a cheap mug of ale. The 'gnome' then slowly walks to an emptyish table where he takes a long slow drink before staring moodily at mug.
    Spoiler
    Show

disguise - (1d20+20)[26] including disguise self bonus and differnct race/age penalties.
    He also takes 10 on his concentration check to manifiest Read Thoughs without a display and begins to sample the thoughts of everyone in the room. (DC 16 negates). He takes note of anyone he sees who resists detection this way.

@Thufi/kentma57:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spellcraft may identify my magic stuff, but remember that even with magic/psionic transparency identifying psionic auras requires a psicraft check.

Last edited by Psionic Dog; 2007-11-23 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Added Character Link

My Homebrew.

Master Ref Of the Arena Tournament!
    Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arena Combatants: | Dense | Mad Al | Twang | De'Athbypro Xie

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Psionic Dog View Post
    @Thufi/kentma57:

Spellcraft may identify my magic stuff, but remember that even with magic/psionic transparency identifying psionic auras requires a psicraft check.
    I know I need to make spellcraft/psicraft checks to identify auras, but the auras alone gives me a clue of their power;
    Spellcraft (1d20+21)[41] (note: spellcraft/psicraft checks are interchangeable right?)

EDIT: NATURAL 20!!
    Last edited by kentma57; 2007-11-08 at 05:31 PM.
    As a druid, I have the right to bear arms, the right to arm bears, and I've killed men with my bear hands.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by kentma57 View Post
    I know I need to make spellcraft/psicraft checks to identify auras, but the auras alone gives me a clue of their power;
    Spellcraft [roll0] (note: spellcraft/psicraft checks are interchangeable right?)

EDIT: NATURAL 20!!
    Sorry, by raw spellcraft and psicraft checks are not interchangable, even if magic/psionic transparancy is in effect.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Psionics-Magic Transparency
    Though not explicitly called out in the spell descriptions or magic item descriptions, spells, spell-like abilities, and magic items that could potentially affect psionics do affect psionics.

When the rule about psionics-magic transparency is in effect, it has the following ramifications.

...snip...

The spell detect magic detects powers, their number, and their strength and location within 3 rounds (though a Psicraft check is necessary to identify the discipline of the psionic aura).

... and yah, I figure you might be suspicious if you detect illusionary magic on a grumpy-looking man, even if it is faint. Feel free to examine my sheet if you really want the complete list of magical equipment.

EDIT @V:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I know, but it's fun to make introductions by playing a little against eachother in a good-natured sort of way.
    Last edited by Psionic Dog; 2007-11-19 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Reply to kentma57

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

To Psionic Dog, doesn't realy matter that was more aimed towards the man with the magic weapon, but is fun to identify most of the other auras in the room. (realy how many psionic auras could I encounter)

8. - Top - End - #8

Tel Kar noticed an elf looking at him, his eyes subtly drawn to the dagger concealed in his right hand. This elf obviously had some kind of divination which allowed him to detect the Stiehl's magic. It was of no consequence. Knowing the dagger was there did not stop it from carving through all defenses to cut through unresisting flesh. Still, the elf was worth observing. Perhaps he had been called by the same person who had called him. He walked with the unmistakable air of an experienced fighter, and people of such experience arriving at the same place that he had been called to was no coincidence. It was unlikely the elf would attack, but Tel Kar remained ready to strike should the need arise.

Current Characters:

9. - Top - End - #9

BlackDragon

Thufir, your magical detection has sensed a background level of magic unusual in this type of vilage(by that i mean that eveything seems to have a very weak magical aura, or maybee a well hidden stronger aura)
    Your supicions are almost comfirmed by the presence of a strange gnome (Aggerd) who has a much stronger aura of magic about him.
    Tel Kar, you notice nothing unusual about the inn. You also have chosen a table relatively close to the kitchen, which has a back door, in case you need to make a hasty exit. You have the strange feeling of being watched, and its not the elf hanging from the rafters (Thurfir).
    Aggerd, uppon entering the inn, you have the feeling of being watched as soon as you enter the inn. You also notice a cloaked figure sitting by himself with no food or drink, in a position to observe the door easily(Tel Kar)
    Last edited by SenbonKageYoshi; 2007-11-10 at 12:18 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Um... I am invisible I don't think most people can see me. Though I will not exclude the "cloaked figure sitting by himself".

11. - Top - End - #11

Tel Kar notices a gnome that walks in and takes a seat at a nearby table. Observing him closely, he senses more than sees something slightly off about him, and has learned through the years to not discount such feelings. He then feels the brush of a mind trying to touch his own, and attempts to block it out.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot check on the 'gnome', and Will save vs detect thoughts.

Spot - (1d20+18)[20]
    WillSave - (1d20+7)[22]

Current Characters:

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Aggerd swirls his mug and frowns into its depths. He takes note of the cloaked figure and wonders if that might be the person who contacted him. Taking another swig the 'gnome' resumes mentally scanning any out-of-place people and a takes a sampling of the others (including the bartender) trying to learn all he can on local news and identify anyone else who might have invited him to the bar.

(Do we use this tread for OOC discusion, or will there be a separate thread for that?)
    Last edited by Psionic Dog; 2007-11-10 at 11:16 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

BlackDragon

Aggerd, the commoners minds are unusualy bland. They don't seem to think of anything interesting or useful.If the minds of those present is anything to go by, nothing interessting has ever happened here. You also detect an elf, hidden in the rafters(Thurfir) and the cloaked figure sitting by himself(Tel Kar) resisits your efforts to read his thoughts.
    Thurfir,( I am looking at your character sheet and see no way that you can become invisible;though you can hide in plain sight, which means that only Tel Kar and Aggerd can see you)

14. - Top - End - #14

I have a ring of invisibility

checks sheet...

sorry, forgot to update sheet, I have been working of a paper copy. Should be fine now, once again sorry.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

The 'gnome' makes one last mental sweep of the room and then gulps down the last of the ale. Rising wearily to his feet, he makes his way across the room to the cloaked figure still carrying his mug. After a moments pause he quietly asks:

"Sir, are you the one with the offer I can't refuse?"

(Even if the elf wasn't invisible Aggerd wouldn't see him. (+1 spot anyone?)

Oh, is it just us three, or is there a 4th person who's a little slow?)

16. - Top - End - #16

Tel Kar stares at the gnome, then says, in the quiet voice of a deadly killer, "I believe we have been called here for the same reason. Please, sit. Tell me about yourself." He gestures to the seat next to him with his left hand, his right still concealing the instrument of death known as the Stiehl. He had not decided yet whether to kill the gnome or not, but he had decided that the gnome was worth investigating.

Current Characters:

17. - Top - End - #17

BlackDragon

first, there are 4 of you (maybe even 5 if the others get their act in gear)
    Secondly, Thurfir, you notice the front door open, and then close with nobody anywhere near it.

18. - Top - End - #18

Thinks to himself "So I am not the only stealthy one around here, I will wait to see what he/she does."

EDIT: That or a psion is messing with me.
    Last edited by kentma57; 2007-11-11 at 01:58 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

The 'gnome' blinks at the man's cool tone, and pulls sits down two seats to the left the clocked figure. (Or across from the man if it is a small table). 'Oh! So I wasn't the only one called... I wonder if he knows more than me. May as well have some fun too,' Aggerd thinks.

"Oh, I'm just a merchant desperate to escape this wasteland town. Heh, time was I traveled the lands helping salvagers, if you catch my meaning, disarm traps. Heh, occasionally I even built the things for paranoid wizards. Course' that was then. I started to get old and slow, got stuck out here selling this n' that while chained down by creditors. I've had to start selling... discreet... merchandise to satisfy those blood suckers. Then word comes by that someone will get me out of this hole for some item or service, and I'm here. I'd do anything to live wild just once more. Say, you interested in anything? For the right coin I can get you (The gnome glances around the room to see if anyone is close) 'pesticides' or 'medicinal extracts', yah' hear?"

Spoiler
    Show

Shoveling BS Check - (1d20+12)[22]

Try PMing the others to make sure they know the game started

20. - Top - End - #20

Tel Kar simply stares at the gnome, one of the fingers on his right hand twitching slightly. He would pay the gnome just to shut him up, if he didn't prefer putting a knife in his chest. It was hard to believe someone like this was being hired by the same person as him. One of his fingers moved aside, revealing the silvery glint of the Stiehl's blade for a second, before it was quickly concealed.

Spoiler
    Show

SenseMotive - (1d20+5)[18]
    Attempting to detect BS. I should get a circumstance bonus because it's so unbelievable. 'Medicinal extracts'
    Last edited by Tar Palantir; 2007-11-11 at 03:49 PM.

Current Characters:

21. - Top - End - #21

Spoiler
    Show

Intimidate - (1d20+9)[12]
    Sorry for the double post, couldn't add it after I rolled my Sense Motive.

Current Characters:

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tar Palantir View Post
    Attempting to detect BS. I should get a circumstance bonus because it's so unbelievable. 'Medicinal extracts'
    But of course! I hear spider venom is an excellent muscle relaxant and many young men seem to think that arsenic will cure their father of his problems (namely compulsive breathing)
    So take +5, or even +10 if you think this pile of BS is particularly ripe. Either way consider yourself safe from falling for it, even if Tel isn't positive the gnome is purposefully lying.

Sanity Check - (1d20+17)[24]
    oops, wrong sheet, should have been +11 for 18.
    Last edited by Psionic Dog; 2007-11-19 at 03:16 PM.

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

WolfInSheepsClothing

Mantis is intrigued by the possibilities this letter can hold. He decides to break into the residential section of the inn and scope things out there first.

Mantis will find somewhere outside that he can climb up to the second story (assuming there is a second story...if not he will climb through a window in a seemingly unoccupied room). He will spend a while seeing if anything is out of place before walking into the main room.

Spoiler
    Show
    Climb: (1d20+17)[26]
    Spot to notice anything out of the ordinary: (1d20+15)[23]
    Listen for the same: (1d20+15)[31]
    The bunny's scared, the bunny's scared of you...shivering.
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs and you're thinking, you're thinking to yourself, I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

24. - Top - End - #24

BlackDragon

Mantis, the inn only has one story(its the long, low style), and there seem to be more empty rooms then occupied ones. It is easy for you to sneak into the inn. As you are leaving the room you snuck into, you thought you herd the sounds of someone else sneaking around, but you see no one. Other then that, you notice nothing out of the ordinary.

25. - Top - End - #25

WolfInSheepsClothing

Mantis notes that there might be others doing sneaking around as well and stays on guard. Anyone who looks at him as he walks into the main room would notice that even with the absense of any visible weapons it is easy to tell he is a dangerous man. His casual walk carries the hint of restrained aggression and his relaxed expression barely hides his bodies readiness for trouble.
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs and you're thinking, you're thinking to yourself, I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

26. - Top - End - #26

BlackDragon

Tel Kar and Thurfir, you bolth notice a strange elf walk in to the main room from the directions of the bedrooms which neither of you say enter through the front or back door. The elf apears to be unarmed, but looks dangerous none the less.
    Thurfir, you are distressed and alarmed by the fact that your ring of arcane sight has stopped working. You don't know why or how, but you don't think it is permenantly damaged.

27. - Top - End - #27

hmm.......

28. - Top - End - #28

BlackDragon

Night falls swiftly over the twisted bough inn. Almost as soon as the light of day has dimmed, the front door of the inn opens, and a mysterious figure walks in. His body is compleatly concealed beneath a long, black cloak, and his face is hidden by shadows. All around him the shadows dance and move. He does not look around, he simply heads strait towards the table where Tel Kar and Aggerd are sitting. The Barkeep ( and everybody else for that mater) are watching this strange figure intently, to the exclusion of all else.(i.e. all conversation just died abruptly, nobody is moving, that sorta thing)

29. - Top - End - #29

Tel Kar grips the Stiehl tightly, readying himself in case this new figure turned out to be a foe. Judging from his single-minded movement, it seems likely that this is the one who sent for them. His appearance was unusual, and undoubtedly he had some form of magic about him, but no magic had yet come close to the power of the Stiehl, and Tel Kar was confident that none ever would.

Current Characters:

30. - Top - End - #30

WolfInSheepsClothing

At the entrance of this new figure Mantis figures this must be the one who sent the message. He walks over to the table himself and waits to see who starts the conversation.