New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Storm <Team One>

Kleitos
    Signaling for three beers to be brought over, Well, have to see how tomorrow goes. We may be here a while or we may be done in a day or two. Kleitos pays for the beers when they arrive.
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

Liam

"To be honest, anything with hands." States Liam bluntly "It doesn't even need to know how to work stone if it can steal from the goblins. The only evidence there is that the goblins are even involved is that they use the same weaponry, and stone spears are probably the second most simple weapon there is. I'm not saying they aren't responsible, I'm saying they might not be. The only thing that would weigh on me more than convincing the people that they're safe when they really aren't would be killing a score and a half of innocents in the process."

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Kleitos: The bartender brings over three tankards of ale, and collects his silver piece."What brings you to Broken Edge?"

Liam: "We've lived on this rock for more than twenty years and haven't seen anything else on this rock that could have done this. Why would anyone want to make it look like goblins killed the forresters?"
    Last edited by Kyeudo; 2007-11-13 at 08:34 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94

Felonius:

Back in the forge.
    "Like I said, its been awhile since I've gotten to pound metal." Grinning he's going to twirl his hammer again, "but I'm fairly certain I've gotten all the kinks out now"
    Spoiler
    Show

Craft Weapon (1d20+10)[19]

"Bloody goblins, never can trust the little buggers. Odd though that you only ever found one group of bodies... How many people have been lost?"
    High Ref and Recruiter for the PvP Arena.

Characters for the Arena: || Snake || Yoshi || Todd

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Felonius: The woman goes back to work, sticking several new bars of steel in the coals to heat. "We found the bodies all on the same day. All three groups of foresters working that day were killed. As for how many we've lost, about twenty people so far, if you count the ones that went missing in the woods."

6. - Top - End - #96

Liam

"If they're the only others on this rock who have hands, I guess it makes more sense to assume it was them than to assume the village's people were responsible. I was just saying that if there is, or even might be, something else that could be responsible, I wouldn't want to slaughter the goblins until i had slightly more evidence it was them." He pays for his drink, then looks to Zerkz and Kleitos and asks "Would either of you be willing to compete with me, or do I have to take on the one who is actually good at it?"

If either of them, or the old guy, accepts the challenge, my rolls are:

dart 1 - (1d20+2)[11]
    dart 2 - (1d20+2)[5]
    dart 3 - (1d20+2)[11]
    dart 4 - (1d20+2)[18]

Not the best, but better than the other two have been doing.
    Last edited by Hyozo; 2007-11-14 at 08:14 AM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Zerkz pays for a second round of beers. He's more than willing to settle his debts. To the old man:

So what do you make of this goblin business? On the outside, seems pretty cut and dry, but I get a sense there's more than meets the eye here.

After he gets his answer, he'll toss a few darts with Liam:

Metaphysical Dart 1 - (d20+1)[5]
    Metaphysical Dart 2 - (d20+1)[21]
    Metaphysical Dart 3 - (d20+1)[2]
    Metaphysical Dart 4 - (d20+1)[19]

Nice! Drinks on me anyway. Don't want you to think I'm a total ass- I got nothing against any'a you, by the way. It's those councilmen, they drive me crazy with their endless yammering. Like they say, how can you tell when a politician's lying? His mouth's moving.
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2007-11-14 at 01:55 PM.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

The man's voice grows soft and a little husky at the question. "This goblin buisness has been a sad affair. I'm a carpenter by trade, so I knew most of the forresters that were killed. I lost some good friends that day, and I want to know why. I've lived on the same rock for the last twenty-four years, and in all that time we've had no trouble with the goblins at all. It just doesn't make any sense to me either. If they wanted us gone, they could have wiped us out easily eight years ago when the rock shower slammed into town."

The man perks up as he changes the subject. "As for the town council, they seem to do their best. They've managed to get re-elected every year for the last few years. Dorian Argant is probably the most disliked of them all, but he has a level head when it comes to money."
    Last edited by Kyeudo; 2007-11-14 at 02:11 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Increasingly concerned by the number of darts flying in his direction, Kardrak finishes his beer, and heads on up to bed, knowing that getting a good night's sleep will be important for the mission tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    IN THE WRY DIMNESS OF THE NEAR FUTURE THERE IS MOSTLY WAR BUT ALSO SOMETIMES HUGS
    My Blog Thing

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

Felonius: As the sun sets below the plane of Broken Edge, the smith calls a halt to the work. Diggin in a small leather pouch tied to her waist, she pulls out a few coins (1 gp and 2 sp) and hands them to you. "Thanks for the help today."

Everyone: You all settle in for the night. The rooms are nothing special, with just a bed with a straw matress, but at least they are better than accomodations aboard the aethership that got you here. You awake to the sounds of people commencing with the work of the day once more, the clang of the blacksmith's hammar, the sound of people talking, and the slightly more ominous sound of saws and shovels coming from where the pallisade is being errected.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Zerkz prepares himself for the days work, doing a few exercises then going downstairs for breakfast.
    Spoiler
    Show

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Spoiled Flush Games

12. - Top - End - #102

Soulmelds
    Spoiler
    Show

Adamant Pauldrons shaped to Shoulders
    Dissolving Spittle shaped to Throat

Buckling on his armor and grabbing his pile of equipment, Felonius heads downstairs towards the common. Grabbing a table, he drops his shield and backpack down beside his chair, before ordering whatever the kitchens cooking for breakfast.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Kardrak wakes up, stretches out, meditates, and heads downstairs to begin the day.

Taking 20 to obtain psionic focus.
    IN THE WRY DIMNESS OF THE NEAR FUTURE THERE IS MOSTLY WAR BUT ALSO SOMETIMES HUGS
    My Blog Thing

14. - Top - End - #104

Liam

Liam thinks about the attacks for nearly ten minutes before donning his chainshirt and steel cap. He then goes down the stairs and orders a meal. He sits near Kardrak and Felonius and begins to speak. "Do we have a plan of action? Personally I think we should go into the forrest instead of the caves. I'm not entirely sure the goblins are responsible at all, and either way they'll be more familiar with the terrain than we are. It just makes more sense to me to search the place where the killing occurred than to kill the suspects in their home."

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

Hint:
    Spoiler
    Show

Did everyone forget about the map you were given?

16. - Top - End - #106

Kleitos

Kleitos wakes up, reminds himself that gambling is not always wise, but is always fun (and best done after receiving payment so you know you can afford it. After making sure he hasn't lost any of his equipment, he heads downstairs in time to hear Liam's suggestion. Well, on the one hand, we've been hired to kill goblins, not solve mysteries and we've got a map of the caves where the goblins are supposed to be. On the other hand, it shouldn't be hard to find where the killings happened and potentially track more directly from there to the homes of the killers. I'm fine with either plan.
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2007-11-15 at 04:24 PM.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107

Liam

"We've been hired to put a stop to the attacks. The goblin slaying isn't our job, simply what they believe it will be likely to necessitate. Like I said The goblins are familiar with the caves, whatever is making the attacks in the forrest, goblin or not, is familiar with the forest. If the terrain doesn't change the fact that We will be less familiar with it than they are, I see no point in attacking the ones who are probably resopnsible instead of searching for the ones who are certainly responsible."
    Last edited by Hyozo; 2007-11-15 at 04:39 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108

"What's a few goblins in the long run, they breed faster then rabbits anyways. But lets see this map we got, it'll at least give us an idea of where we're headed."

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

The map is crude, but servicable, and seems to be roughly to scale. It clearly shows the layout of the town, the surrounding farmlands, and the edge of the planet. The town sits along the south western edge of the planet. To the north of town, the terrain apparently turns to forested hills after several miles, while to the west the farmland extends to the edge of the woods, roughly 20 miles from the edge of town.

The entrances to the cave system are clearly marked. There are three of them all of them withing about a mile of each other. One entrance is about 25 miles due east of Broken Edge, with the other two to the northeast and southeast of the first. The northeast entrance seems to be in the begining of some rolling hills, while the southeast entrance is the furthest away from town.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Zerkz

Maybe a day's trek out into the forest to see what we can turn up would be wise. If we find nothing, I think we should head to the caves.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

21. - Top - End - #111

"You mean head north, check out the forest, see what we can find, and then head for the northeastern most of the caves?" Felonius nods slightly, "Not what I set up for today, was planning on mashing some goblins, but it's a good plan."

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

"I concur- that sounds reasonable."
    My Blog Thing

23. - Top - End - #113

Kleitos

Works for me
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114

Liam

Liam looks at the map and thinks for a bit."That certainly does seem like a good plan, but we should probably invest in a few tents. Even if we weren't going to go into the forest, the nearest cave seems over a day's walk away. The way I see it we should go into the forest, head east from there, and If we don't find anything in the forest we set up camp and go to the caves tommorrow."

Spoiler
    Show

Maybe not applicable in this case for some reason, but according to the PHB, a human with a light load can walk 24 miles a day, and as a Boy Scout I feel I'm qualified to say that even that is pushing it.
    Last edited by Hyozo; 2007-11-15 at 09:41 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

"Agreed. Liam, would you care to split one between us? I don't snore."
    My Blog Thing

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

icedragons
    Spoiler
    Show

The DMG's figures are based off the physics of the D&D world. Walking in D&D is the same as taking a single move action each round and no other actions, meaning an unencumbered human can walk 30 ft in 6 seconds. D&D uses a 6000 ft mile (I crunched the numbers to figure this out), so it takes a human 20 minutes to walk one mile. This a human with a 30 ft movement speed covers 3 miles an hour, or 24 miles in one day. It wouldn't work in the real world, but in D&D it works fine.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Zerkz

Cramped quarters. One of the only situations where size is a disadvantage. I suppose I should by my own tent, no?
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

OOC:(So, everyone is buying tents and heading to the forests north of town. Is there anything in particular you are attempting to find?)

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

((Dead bodies, I think. That or anything that might look like the Goblins didn't do it.))
    My Blog Thing

30. - Top - End - #120

((I was thinking more along the lines of looking for where attacks may have been made, trying to find footprints and compare them to goblinoid footprints, hoping that whatever has been attacking anything they believed they could kill misjudges us, things like that.))