New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Storm <Team One>

"The main question is what exactly are we required to do? Are we supposed to exterminate these goblins or merely try and deter them from attacking? If it is the former, where are they located, and in what environment? Tackling an enemy in a cave is far different from tackling an enemy on open plains. If it is the latter, what are the defensible points of the village where we can safely fend them off? Either way, what sort of numbers are we talking about?"
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    IN THE WRY DIMNESS OF THE NEAR FUTURE THERE IS MOSTLY WAR BUT ALSO SOMETIMES HUGS
    My Blog Thing

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

"How well equipped are your guards, and how fast are your smiths converting from farm implements to weapons and armour?"

Slinging his pack and armor down onto the floor in front of him, the dwarf is going to take a seat on one of the chairs.
    High Ref and Recruiter for the PvP Arena.

Characters for the Arena: || Snake || Yoshi || Todd

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Captain Rookstone speaks up at this. "We want you to exterminate the goblins from an underground cave system located to the east of our town. We don't need them completely exterminated, although that would be preferable. We just need them unable to make any attacks against our people for a good while."

"Our trouble with them started just recently. The goblins were here when this town was first settled, but they left us alone and we left them alone. Now the bastards are have started ambushing small groups of our people and the town guard isn't equipped to deal with this new threat. We're doing what we can, putting up the pallisade and enlisting more guards, but it will be awhile before the wall will be finished or we have enough guards trained to do the job ourselves. Which is where you come in."

"Our guards are rather poorly equipped, as up until now they only needed to be able to deal with drunken sailors and an occasional cut purse. As for more gear, the trouble isn't equipping them, but training them. Most have trouble telling which end of a spear is the pointy end."
    Last edited by Kyeudo; 2007-11-11 at 11:14 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

"I see. Are there up-to-date maps of the cave system, or will we be going in blind?"
    IN THE WRY DIMNESS OF THE NEAR FUTURE THERE IS MOSTLY WAR BUT ALSO SOMETIMES HUGS
    My Blog Thing

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

This time Arius is the one to answer. "As the Captain said, the goblin's have inhabited the cave system since the town's founding, and we've done our best to stay clear of them, lest we invite trouble. The most we know of the goblin's cave system is where several of the entrances are."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

"That will make things more difficult. This is going to be a very slow process, I think. If we aim for complete extermination, we are going to have to seal all other entrances in order to prevent escape, but we don't know if we will have gotten all of the entrances. Either way, we will have to go very slowly and make sure that we don't leave any groups that could ambush us from behind- that would be my prime concern about all this- an ambush from behind in cramped quarters is very difficult to deal with."
    My Blog Thing

7. - Top - End - #37

"We don't need to exterminate them completely, just take out whatevers holding the tribe together. Most goblins are sniveling cowards, and if we cut off their leadership, we cut down their will to fight."

Shaking his head at his mote, he continues.

"And your never gonna plug all the holes to a goblin warren, probably got the whole cave system setup with interconnected tunnels just to prevent what your describin, not to mention usin those same tunnels to circle around any intruders."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Zerkz

When you deal with goblins, you deal with the mob. Their strength is their numbers, not their command structure. Kill a chief and a lowling rises to take his place. We'll have no choice but to smash the buggers one at a time until they ain't got the numbers to mount another attack. Now, there's 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 of us, most of us reliable. Reliable to kill goblins one at a time, that is. And like there's no real count on how many goblins there are, maybe 50, maybe 100, maybe 1000 or more.

He pauses for a moment as he considers this prospect.

We should have a f*cking wizard, he concludes.
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2007-11-11 at 11:57 PM.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, isn't this magical? We've got a serious disagreement on Goblin leadership, a cave system we know nothing about, and are probably outnumbered at least five to one. I'll take half my payment up front, please."
    My Blog Thing

10. - Top - End - #40

"I don't know what kinda goblins you've been tanglin with, but your average goblin ain't gonna stick his neck out to cover his buddies ass without gettin somethin out of it for themself. I still maintain that you take out the chief and the tribe crumbles. Sure goblins like to swarm, but unless there's someone behind them poking them with a stick, they're more then likely gonna swarm away from any source of danger."
    Last edited by Mavian; 2007-11-12 at 12:06 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Zerkz

That's no permanent solution. Live to fight another day, is the saying, not live to bake s'mores for everyone. They'll run away alright, but they'll be back. I'll second cash up front. Anything else you can tell us about these monsters?

Spoiler
    Show
    If there's not anything else they can tell us about the goblins, Zerkz will move to skip ahead to the action. However, I suspect another of the PCs who is more intelligent (i.e. all of them) will have other, more prescient questions to ask the council. Zerkz isn't particularly interested in hearing the answers, though.
    Spoiler
    Show

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Spoiled Flush Games

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

"I still would like your gentlemen's best estimates on the Goblin numbers."
    My Blog Thing

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Rookstone speaks again. "Their numbers can't be too much. They don't do much on the surface, so they must get all their food from what they can scavenge underground and I doubt that is much. How they can even make attacks is a wonder in itself. I'd say no more than twenty or thirty warriors at the most."

At the mention of payment up front, the portly Treasurer speaks up. "I'm afraid payment up front is out of the question. How can we be sure you won't take the money and jump ship on us?" he says quite cynicaly.
    Last edited by Kyeudo; 2007-11-12 at 12:35 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Zerkz

Fine, I don't have the energy to argue about payment with you. I will do the job I was hired to do. 30 goblins will be a worthy challenge and nothing more. We'll begin when you deem it prudent.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

"If you haven't noticed, this is a fairly small rock you've got here. Ships are fairly uncommon, I imagine. It'd be very difficult for us to run out on you guys, wouldn't you think? Saying that, I'll do the job without the payment. I was expecting upwards of fifty. It may take a few days, but we should get them all.

If you don't want to pay us up front, are there any healing items or equipment you might loan us so that we can collect payment?"
    My Blog Thing

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Marik, the Trade Representative, decides to speak. "Please, gentlemen, lets not be so hasty in negotiating payment. I'm sure we would be fine in providing some payment up front. How about we provide seventy-five gold pieces up front, with the rest upon confirmation that the job is finished?"

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

"I can accept that, if no one else has any objections?"
    My Blog Thing

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Zerkz

Can't ask fairer than that, I'm sure, says Zerkz with an air of indifference.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Mr. Argant seems ready to swalllow his tongue, but says nothing.

"Alright then. Since we are in agreement, I'd say this meeting is over, unless there are further questions?" Arius looks around the room briefly, seeing if anyone has anything further to add.
    Last edited by Kyeudo; 2007-11-12 at 01:53 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50

Kleitos

Well, unless I missed it, you still haven't told us where these entrances are where we can start hunting them down. Other than that, I'm ready when everyone else is.
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

"The captain will provide you with a map of the area to assist in your endevours, after Dorian gets your payment out of the treasury. Any other questions?"

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

"Is there a market where we could possibly look for healing items, or are there any that you could provide us with?"
    My Blog Thing

23. - Top - End - #53

"Can we wait for tomorrow before setting out? I'm rigged up for sailing and need a good 8 hours of sleep before switching over to anything else. Unless there happens to be a boat in these underground tunnels, I'm useless at the moment."

The dwarf points to his bracers as he speaks.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Mr. Alphinian answers quickly enough. "There is an apothecary located near the blacksmith that should carry something of what you are looking for. As for resting up first, I'm sure you can get a room at the inn down by the pier. We'd like the job done quickly, but we'd prefer you not fail do to poor preperations."
    Last edited by Kyeudo; 2007-11-12 at 02:21 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll head down to the apothecary and pick up a potion of cure light wounds- 50 gp, right? If you want me to RP it fine, but I'd honestly prefer to skip it. Then, I'll head to the inn and turn in.
    My Blog Thing

26. - Top - End - #56

Nodding to the city council, Felonius is going to accept his coins, heave his armor and backpack back up onto his back.

"Unless there is anything else to discuss, or any more info on the goblins that you can give us, I'll take my leave."

If none of the council has anything else to say, he'll head towards the inn.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Zerkz

That all sounds great. I think I'll take some exercise before heading to the inn.

He looks the councilmen over once more, distrustfully, then adds:

Oh, and call me crazy but, do you have any idea what might've triggered these raids? Seems strange that the buggers left you be for so long then suddenly started attacking people.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense motive +5 on their answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Surprisingly, this time the one to answer is Faram, the Representative of Agriculture. The man answers in a surly, irritated tone. "It wasn't us that stated this buisness, it was them. We've been clearing trees for wood for years, then all of a sudden they start ambushing our foresters and stab them full of holes. We've found three groups of foresters dead since this started, and we've done nothing to provoke them."

Zerkz
    Spoiler
    Show

You get the feeling that he doesn't like any of your group for some reason, but he believes what he's saying is true. Dispite this, you can't help but feel like there's something more going on, something strange.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Zerkz

Zerkz rises to his full, impressive height. He didn't much care for the man's tone, for more reasons than one. He raises his voice, but only slightly:

Have you got something else you'd like to say to me? Cause it sounds like you do, and I'd really, really like to hear it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense motive +5 on his answer.
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2007-11-12 at 09:31 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

The big man rises from his seat, fists clenched. "If you want to hear it, then here it is: I don't think we need you at all. Our people built this town out of nothing. We've weathered everything the Storm has thrown at us, firestorms, rock showers, plague, and failed crops, and so far we've come through and to think that a bunch of midget barbarians is all it took to get the town to call for help is disgraceful. Feel glad that you even have a job. You can thank the rest of these cowards for that." With that Faram storms out of the building, slamming the door behind him.

Zerkz
    Spoiler
    Show

The man is genuinely irrate. By your best guess, the rest of the town council probably out voted him when deciding what to do about the goblins.