New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default What is a Mi-Go?

Okay, not sure this is the right forum, although I think it is, considering that H.P. Lovecraft wrote books, and that's what this forum is about (in part).

But I have a couple of questions:
    1) How does Mi-Go society work?
    2) What are the principles that Mi-Go morality built on?
    Age of Avarice - A homebrew SF setting featuring neo-colonialist humans and primitive aliens (offsite hosting)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: What is a Mi-Go?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mi-Go

There's the wiki article on the subject, I'm sure that can answer your questions.
    Grinning Purple Gelatinous Cube avatar courtesy of Lord_Herman
    Attacking Cube courtesy of Sampi
    Current avatar courtesy of Rutskarn

My GiTP stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    DM
    Currently none

Player
    currently none

Creations:
    Fimbulwight

I have my own RB thread right here.

Come and join in the newly minted Fictional Character Contest

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by purple gelatinous cube o' Doom View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mi-Go

There's the wiki article on the subject, I'm sure that can answer your questions.
    That was the first thing I checked. All it says is:
    • There are three castes.
    •*Their morality is alien and seems malicious to humans.
    Age of Avarice - A homebrew SF setting featuring neo-colonialist humans and primitive aliens (offsite hosting)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

It's the purple member of Team Go, from Kim Possible. He's called that because of his extreme vanity and selfishness. His power is to shrink (and return to his normal size) which is a power constantly lampooned for its worthlessness in the episodes he appears. He's the brother of Shego, Hego and Wego. He and his siblings got their powers when a rainbow hued meteorite landed in their backyard.
    A review of the best scifi/fantasy book you will have read, and a review of the even better sequel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    You do your avatar proud

Member #29 of the Tin-foil Hat Alliance

5. - Top - End - #5

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone231 View Post
    That's pretty much all we know. The Mi-Go live on Yuggoth (Pluto), are fungal in nature, and tend to take human brains and stick them in bottles, still alive and thinking.

Like much of Lovecraft's aliens, they are too alien for us to comprehend their thought processes or ideals - in order to understand why they do what they do, we should have to be insane.
    save your fears
    for the day
    when our pain is far behind
    on your feet
    come with me
    we are soldiers stand or die

save your fears
    take your place
    save them for the judgement day
    fast and free
    follow me
    time to make the sacrifice
    we rise or fall

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Considering the general themes of Lovecraft, I strongly suspect the answer to both of your questions might actually be "Whichever screws mankind the most".
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

That's because that's all that Lovecraft wrote about them.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I just checked whether the Chaosium Call of Cthulhu RPG core rulebook holds any further information on the Mi-Go, but there is little information to be found there beyond what that Wikipedia entry already states. There is a sentence implying that their technology might have some kind of connection to the Outer Gods, and there are a couple of examples for their technology, but beyond that, I haven't found anything new, most definitely not on their ethics and society.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

*puts on Lovecraft-nerd hat*

Within Lovecraft's writing, there isn't much description of Mi-go "society" or "morality" (at least with regards to each other, they seem to have no qualms about taking humans apart).

One can make the assumption, based on the chant to Shub-Niggurath in The Whisperer in Darkness, that they worship the Great Old Ones so that they "have become as the Great Old Ones; free and wild and beyond good and evil, with laws and morals thrown aside and all... shouting and killing and revelling in joy" (assuming that there's cross-story transparency so that you can take a line from The Call of Cthulhu).

The whole point of much of what he wrote is that this stuff is scary (or whatever) ultimately because it's strange and not explained (if not outright "unknowable").

Of course, there are other sources that have made extrapolations that I find compelling in and of themselves (even if there's not really a lot of support within Lovecraft). Of all of the post-Lovecraft bodies of Mythos-related work, I wholeheartedly recommend the Delta Green material by Pagan Publishing (both their role-playing supplements to the CoC game and their fiction anthologies). They have an interesting take on the Mi-go that you might find interesting.
    Last edited by WalkingTarget; 2007-11-13 at 12:05 AM.
    Take your best shot, everyone else does.
    Avatar by Guildorn Tanaleth. See other avatars below.

Spoiler
    Show
    My original avatar and much better ones by groundhog22 and a Winter Olympics one by Rae Artemi.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Okay, not sure this is the right forum, although I think it is, considering that H.P. Lovecraft wrote books, and that's what this forum is about (in part).

But I have a couple of questions:
    1) How does Mi-Go society work?
    2) What are the principles that Mi-Go morality built on?
    For your feeble, human mind to comprehend the Mi-go would be like an ant comprehending the vastness and greatness of the human society surrounding it.

It cannot be done without driving you MAD!

MAD!

MAD I SAY! MAD!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    For your feeble, human mind to comprehend the Mi-go would be like an ant comprehending the vastness and greatness of the human society surrounding it.

It cannot be done without driving you MAD!

MAD!

MAD I SAY! MAD!
    Mad? Mad? Well, what's wrong with Mad?
    Seems you've got a bad mad in your head.
    Does it matter how sane? No, that makes me laugh,
    Be it mad, insane, or psychopath.
    Now sometimes you're up and sometimes you're down.
    When you find that you're down,
    Well, just look around,
    You don't need a mind, sanity's for vain,
    Get your head in the wrong place and, hey, screw your brain.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

The impression I always got was that the Mi-Go weren't actually evil so much as scientifically ruthless. That is to say they wouldn't kill anybody for fun but would happily vivesect someone if they thought it would advance their scientiific knowledge one iota.
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    The impression I always got was that the Mi-Go weren't actually evil so much as scientifically ruthless. That is to say they wouldn't kill anybody for fun but would happily vivesect someone if they thought it would advance their scientiific knowledge one iota.
    That's a popular position to take. The Delta Green example I mentioned paints them as actually fascinated with humans. Us going from steam engines and telegraphs to nuclear weapons and space flight in something like 50 years was incredible, and they are depicted as being utterly and completely logical and the human mind's ability to be irrational and make leaps of intuition is what they're interested in (and they're more than willing to do all sorts of nasty experiments to try to figure us out).

Spoiler
    Show
    My original avatar and much better ones by groundhog22 and a Winter Olympics one by Rae Artemi.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTarget View Post
    That's a popular position to take. The Delta Green example I mentioned paints them as actually fascinated with humans. Us going from steam engines and telegraphs to nuclear weapons and space flight in something like 50 years was incredible, and they are depicted as being utterly and completely logical and the human mind's ability to be irrational and make leaps of intuition is what they're interested in (and they're more than willing to do all sorts of nasty experiments to try to figure us out).
    Interesting take on. But isn't this a bit too favourable towards the human race to be keeping true with Lovecraft's themes?
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2007-11-13 at 05:34 AM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Interesting take on. But isn't this a bit too favourable towards the human race to be keeping true with Lovecraft's themes?
    To a degree it is. The Mi-Go are not Doctor Who. Their interest in humans is completely heartless and they don't consider them special.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

True, not especially Lovecraftian, but it's a reason for them to be studying us in the first place (you'd think that if they're able to carry living brains around in jars there's not a lot left for them to understand about us biologically so there has to be another reason). It's not like they're especially nice to us anyway.
    Spoiler
    Show
    They are in control of the "greys" and the government conspiracy to cover up the existence of extraterrestrials is part of the main experiment they're conducting on humans. The government has no idea that the aliens they think they're dealing with are just remote-controlled constructs and the story they've been given is a complete fabrication. One of the "secrets" that they let slip "accidentally" is what looks like a mathematical problem (within the context of the game it counts as a spell) that, when solved, essentially causes spontaneous existence failure of the subject. This is a method of making sure that the humans who are clever enough to be dangerous don't become problems.
    They do truly horrible things to people in the published scenarios and fiction, there is just a little motivation given to their actions. Delta Green is obviously non-canonical, but I think it's one of the better-thought-out additions/interpretations of Lovecraft's work in a modern context.
    Last edited by WalkingTarget; 2007-11-13 at 09:24 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Morals?

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't see Mi-Go as evil, or even with bad intentions towards humans. In "The Whisperer in Darkness", their offer to bring some humans to Yuggoth seemed very friendly... that they need to get rid of the body is just a side effect, but after all, what good is a body when all you really need to be yourself is your brain? The body is just an obstacle keeping us humans from travelling the stars, the Mi-Go kindly offer to get us rid of it so we can be free to travel with them and learn all those things they can teach us.

Also, they seem like one of the few alien races who are as insignificant as us humans, mere dust that will cease to exist almost as soon at it appeared in the infinity of space-time. As such, Mi-Go and humans could probably relate to each other, which would explain why Mi-Go have taken an interest in humans, if only as guinea pigs.
    There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

The catch is that the Mi-Go are significantly farther along than we are in terms of their power as a species, just as are the Deep Ones and the Old Ones (distinct from the Great Old Ones).

All three races are 'human-level' in that we can imagine human beings eventually developing their level of technology, but they are far beyond us technically and have physical powers greatly exceeding our own.

So while they seem to fit into more or less the same universal niche we do ('first-level' intelligent beings that can't play hob with the laws of physics or eat planets or anything like that, and that rely heavily on technology), they're much better at it than we are.
    My favorite exchange:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    If your idea of fun is to give the players whatever they want, then I suggest you take out a board game called: CANDY LAND and use that for your gaming sessions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Obviously, you have never known the frustration of being stranded in the Molasses Swamp.
    _______
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    Physics is a dame of culture and sophistication. She'll take you in, keep you warm at night, provide all kinds of insight into yourself and the world you never find on your own.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Plus, they worship the Great Old Ones and the Elder Gods, which indicates they have a much better understanding of how the universe truly works and who really holds all power. That might be an even larger advantage than their technological edge.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll