New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 41 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Eberron: Shadows of the Last War (IC)

{OOC: Continued from Eberron: Forgotten Forge
    OOC Thread}

Sharn: City of Towers

Morning comes once again to the largest city in Khorvaire. As the city begins to wake, all the usual sounds begin filtering through the streets.

Its a quiet day so far. No unusual occurances, although just the other day, a flock of daggerhawks decided to break loose and attack random people. The local watch handled the problem without too much hassle, but everyone was talking about it at the rumor mill. Now if only they gossips could find something juicy to talk about today...

{OOC: When your character sheet is done being updated from the last adventure, feel free to post here as you wish.}
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2008-01-10 at 08:53 AM.
    The Tangled Web
    Our PbP games don't stop just because its Comic Day.

A Guide to Making Tactical Maps

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Eberron: Shadows of the Last War (IC)

Garrock

Garrock wakes late and rests for a while. He has no classes to teach today, so he spends his morning reading "An Essay on the Sources of Magic". When he finishes reading, he decides to go down to the Sivis message station; he hasn't checked in a week. Taking his cane, he starts out, wondering if he'll see any familiar faces there.
    Just another souless construct out for world peace and harmony.

Campaign Setting- The Slow Death

Auron Avatar courtesy of Ink.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Celedor

Walking down the street watching the crowds pass Celedor strolls through the busy street. Taking a moment to pause at a fruit stand he picks an apple and leaves a copper to pay. As he walks down the street he turns towards the message station hoping to hear some news or perhaps find a letter from his family updating him about things at home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged One View Post
    Actually, Tarrasques are merely an extremely endangered species. They reproduce by spontaniously coming into existance when people piss off the DM.
    CRPG Rules: http://project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html

4. - Top - End - #4

Arzeal

After spending the week reconnecting to the wilderness and listening to the lands to see what they had to say, Arzeal heads back into the concrete jungle. Not sure where to meet everyone as they never devised a plan for that, He heads over to the the Smith shop to see if anyone he recognizes is there.

After spending a bit wandering around and asking directions of a few guards, he stumbles across a familiar face heading into a building. Realizing that this is where they all probably talked about meeting, Arzeal heads in, as if he knew where he was supposed to be.

Garrock, Celedor, how are you guys doing? How was your week? Did you get alot of needed rest and personal time to get things dealt with?

You should have seen the action i saw. Stalking the forest as one of its' own i saw so many great things. The best, well i watched this brown bear stalk and hunt down a baby deer. It was awesome.

So what are we doing here?
    Last edited by stupnick; 2007-11-14 at 10:19 PM.
    Never come between a Dwarf and his Ale
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

Awesome Runic Dwarf Avatar by Bayar

5. - Top - End - #5

{OOC: Hold up... they went to the Message station, not the smithy. how did you meet them somewhere that they aren't at?}
    The Tangled Web

6. - Top - End - #6

[OOC]

as it says,

"After spending a bit wandering around and asking directions of a few guards, he stumbles across a familiar face heading into a building."

he never made it there b/c he got lost.. and in the process of heading there he saw someone heading into that building
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

7. - Top - End - #7

Garrock

"Thank you Azreal, I have been well, and it sounds like you have as well." He says, smiling. "This is the Sivis message station. We may have a letter from House Cannith."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Zag'Rat

The warforged had been concentrating on creating some scrolls over the last week or so, with varied levels of success. When not working on them, and not regaining his energies he spent time watching the message center. Not actually checking for messages, he just kept an eye out for anything strange. He was a bit worried that he or his friends were not done with this mess.

Seeing Garrock made him smile as he was glad the young man had made it through the ordeal despite his infirmities. He resisted the urge to go talk to him, and instead took the opportunity to see if anyone else was taking an interest in the mage's actions.

Spot - (1d20+2)[3]

While watching, he noticed some of his other companions meandering about and saw them greet Garrock. Curious if any of them had had any contact with their previous employer he moved from the building he was hiding near and made his way to join them.

"Celedor, Shaerdon, Garrock...it's good to see you all again. I hope the last days have found you restful and safe. Ah, Garrock...I almost forgot. I have a present for you."

Reaching into his bag, the artificer retreives his scroll case. Unscrewing the top he pulls out some rolled up papers and selects one of them. He hands one to Garrock and replaces the others in the case, which then goes back into his pack.

[ooc] Scroll of Repair Light Damage, CL 1 [/ooc]

"I know you had said you did not know the spell to repair damage, so I thought I would make you a scroll in case you ever find the need. In actuality, I hope you never find a use for it, as that would probably mean I have gotten in the way of another large axe, or giant rat, or some other nastiness."

The smile and humor in his voice seem a bit forced as he remembers some of the horrors from beneath the city. As he had often done lately, he silently gave thanks that he did not need to sleep, as he is sure he would be plagued by what the humans called "nightmares". As it was, if he closed his eyes he could clearly picture the flaming bolt ripping through his comrade's throat.

"So, have you checked if any messages have been left for us?"

9. - Top - End - #9

Garrock

"Thank you Zag'rat, and I hope I shall never have to use it," Garrock says, accepting the scroll. He shakes his head at Zag'rat's last question, and then moves over to the counter and asks "Any messages for Garrock Austvale?", showing his identity papers.

10. - Top - End - #10

{OOC: Sheardon and Za will just be conveniently missing for this scene.

Also, I'll be backtracking a bit to before anyone actually entered the station.}

Barmin Tower, near the Sivis Messaging Station

It's been a week since you concluded your adventures with your companions. In that time, things have been relatively quiet. No warforged sneaking out of corners to harass you. No dead bodies in the middle of the road. Even the weather has been nice for a change. Zagrat spent a few hours in the shop crafting scrolls and ignoring the world around him. Garrock went back to his job at the University, giving a few lectures to dispassionate students. Azreal left the city for a time, to enjoy the wilderness outside its confining borders. Only today has he returned to the urban jungle. And Celedor has spent much time in meditation and prayer, seeking for more guidance about the path before him from the ancient ones whom he reveres.

It seems to be purely by chance that these four should meet again all with the same purpose in mind. Sure, a few of you have checked the station randomly through the week, but always it was a pleasant day, and you were alone. Today is markedly different.

Thunder rumbles in the distance as you cross the rain-slick skybridge that leads to Barmin Tower. The rain falls at a steady pace, causing waterfalls to spill over the sides of the slanted rooftops and balcony railings. Ahead, the door the House Sivis message station hangs open at a strange angle, one of its hinges separated from the doorframe. Lightning flashes, and you think you hear a groan from somewhere inside the otherwise quiet shop.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-11-16 at 08:28 AM.
    The Tangled Web

11. - Top - End - #11

{OOC: So, just scrap everything that happened after reaching the message station, then?}

Garrock

Garrock walked quickly through the dreched streets towards the message station, his hood pulled up and his cane clacking on the street. Why did I pick today to go to the message station ... it was so nice out earlier this week... Garrock thinks to himself, lamenting over the weather.
    When he reaches the message station and takes in the ominous signs of a break in, he stops for a second. "This does not look good..." he says quietly to himself. Before he enters, he casts a spell of protection on himself, in case of danger. "Protektar ek Dolaro"
    He then takes out his crossbow, loads it, and enters the message station, pushes aside the askew door.
    Spoiler
    Show
    casting Mage Armour, just in case.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Zag'Rat

Amazed at their continued horrific luck, Zag'Rat is glad that he is always wearing his armor and that he always has his shield with him.

Pulling his shield around to his arm, he puts his shoulder down and pushes through the partially open door, fearing he already knows what he is going to find.

Listen - (1d20+3)[10]
    Spot 22 (botched roll tag so rolled in OOC thread)
    Last edited by Diarmuid; 2007-11-16 at 09:56 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Sivis Message Station

The tables and stools within the message station are in disarray; some are overturned or smashed, others have been forcefully scattered from their usual places. Behind the counter, lying atop a spilled shelf of scrolls and parchment sheets, is the gnome clerk who runs the station. She moans, unconscious, but apparently still alive.
    The Tangled Web

14. - Top - End - #14

Arzeal

After heading into the town, and seeing a few of his compadrates walking street towards where they were heading, Arzeal joins them. Upon seeing the door of the building ajar, and the defensiveness of his companions, he realized that this isn't normal.

Pulling his club off his side, he heads in to the message station, ready to grab his bigger club if needed.

What happened here? is everything ok?
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

15. - Top - End - #15

Garrock

Garrock goes over to the gnome on the counter, and carefully puts down his loaded crossbow. He tries to help her, checking for any wounds and doing whatever else he can.
    Spoiler
    Show
    heal (1d20+2)[18]
    Last edited by Rigel Cyrosea; 2007-11-16 at 10:13 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Sivis Message Station

The gnome is unable to answer Azreal, while unconscious.

However, Garrock is able to revive her rather easily. It seems that her wounds are only superficial. Nothing serious.

She sits up, blinks her eyes, and attempts to stand. "The Messages! I have to check on the messages!"
    The Tangled Web

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Zag'Rat

Gladly moving aside to let someone more experienced at Healing have access to the gnome, the warforged watched as Garrock brought her back to her senses.

He kept looking into all the dark corners where someone might be able to assault them from, and other exits from the room.

"The messages can wait a moment. What happened here? When we arrived you were unconscious behind the counter. Were you attacked by someone or something?"

Realising that if his suspicions were correct she was likely assaulted by another warforged, Zag'Rat tries to keep his voice as calm and reassuring as possible so as to not frighten her any further. He knew his adamantine form could be intimidating to many, especially those of the smaller races.

18. - Top - End - #18

Sivis Message Station

Zagrat can detect no threat for the moment. All the exits are clear.

However, when he suggests that the Messages can wait, the gnome ignores him and rummages through the various scrolls and parchments scattered.

After a moment of looking through the papers, the gnomes finaly gives a delayed response. She says "Kobolds. They charged in and attacked. Four of the vile creatures."

She tells you how they subdued her, then made sure the place was otherwise empty. After that, a human-sized individual wrapped in a dark cloak entered.

"The stranger had a deep, rumbling voice that was strong and threatening, and the kobolds followed his direction without question. He asked if there were any messages for someone named Garrock.

It was an amazing coincidence, because I had just transcribed a message for a Garrock Austivale from the speaking stone. I must have glanced at the scroll I was holding, and the next instance the man in the cloak had snatched the scroll with one hand and hit me with the other. That's the last thing I remember."
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-11-16 at 01:42 PM.
    The Tangled Web

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Zag'Rat

Following the woman's tale, Zag'Rat doesnt think they would have much luck following the criminals if they had a head start.

"Would the message still be stored in the sending stone? Or perhaps do you remember enough of the message to re-scribe it for us?"
    Last edited by Diarmuid; 2007-11-19 at 04:52 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

"No, I don't think I could do that. House Sivis gnomes are trained to forget messages as soon as they are transcribed. The stone doesn't store the message at all. Its a safety measure for the messengers, as well as the clients."
    The Tangled Web

21. - Top - End - #21

Garrock

"I'm Garrock Austvale. Do you know of any other way to get my message back? It must have been important, but I have no idea what it would be about. Also, somebody needs to alert the watch of this."
    Spoiler
    Show
    How would one go about contacting the watch anyway? Do you have to actually go to the watchouse, or do you just go out into the street and start yelling? (I'm guessing the former, but you never know)

22. - Top - End - #22

"Well, you could just ask the sender to send again, I suppose."

{OOC: either method would work probably.}
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-11-19 at 05:26 PM.
    The Tangled Web

23. - Top - End - #23

Arzeal

Ill go get the watch, try to figure out the sender or something.

Arzeal heads outside, and begins yelling for the town watch..

ANYONE A TOWNWATCH?
    I NEED THE TOWN WATCH!!
    I NEED THE TOWN WATCH!!
    I NEED THE TOWN WATCH!!
    I NEED THE TOWN WATCH!!
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

24. - Top - End - #24

Azreal

After the second shout, you hear a call. "Ho, there! Identify yourself! Who calls the Watch?" A human male, wearing the familiar green and black of the Sharn City Watch, and carrying a halberd comes running up to you from just around the corner.

Seeing that you aren't being immediately attacked, and aren't fleeing the scene of a crime, he slows to a jog as he approaches.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-11-19 at 09:41 PM.
    The Tangled Web

25. - Top - End - #25

Arzeal

Um, Hello, Im Arzeal. Come inside, my friends will explain better, but something happened in this building to the gnome and a piece of paper. Kobolds did it, commanded by a cloaked person.

Come inside they will know it better.

and with that Arzeal opens the door to the building, holding it for the town watchman.
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

26. - Top - End - #26

Sivis Message Station

The guard will go will go inside the building. He looks a bit startled to see others standing around inside, but when he sees you are not trying to ambush him, he goes about his business.

"What seems to be the problem here? Are you hurt?"

The Gnome explains the same thing to the guard that she said to you, telling that it was a band of Kobolds led by a stranger in a cloak.

The guard takes a few moments to search the room for clues. He picks up a few sling stones, and finds some kobold tracks around a bottle of spilled ink. "Definitely Kobolds. Well, they seem to have gotten what they came for and left. You're lucky they didn't want more. I'll make a report with the watch."

The Gnome pipes up at this point saying "Thats appreciated, but it won't be necessary. The house will handle this matter." The guard doesn't argue. He seems to be almost relieved to have avoided the paperwork. He waits a moment to see if there is anything else he is needed for. Unless someone stops him, he'll leave and resume his duties.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-11-20 at 10:35 AM.
    The Tangled Web

27. - Top - End - #27

Garrock

"Looks like we're going to have to contact house cannith ourselves. Any idea where to find them?" Garrock says to Zag'rat and Azreal.

28. - Top - End - #28

Arzeal

Considering i ended up here looking for that smith shop. i am prolly no good to ask for directions
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Zag'Rat

Addressing the woman, the warforged asks another question before nodding to Garrock and making to leave after hearing his answer,

"Do you remember who the message was from, or what the general idea in the message was?"

30. - Top - End - #30

Sivis Messaging Station

"Uh... No...Nope. Nothing at all."

None of you think she's being completely honest.
    The Tangled Web