New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 72223242526272829303132
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Bertram's Shadow: Misfits

Torgal Wynn

Torgal crouched beside the rock outcropping and peered carefully below. Well, he thought, there cannot be another gnome and dog combination like that anywhere else. I'll just have to find out why there are here.

With his usual impetuousness, the barbarian stood and called down at the party. "Elder gods! I leave you on your own and you get yourselves in a fine mess." Torgal's strong frame picked out a path to the party in easy strides, making a mockery of the difficult terrain. His longspear was the same, but his appearance had changed significantly since the party last saw him. No longer clad in simple breeches and mail, Torgal was now dressed in finery, though it has seen rough wear. But the tears and rends of climbing over the rocky surface could not hide the quality of the clothes upon the draconic barbarian's back.

"I assume Bertram has you out here investigating these Zhent?" the barbarian questioned. Tossing down the cloak of the dead wizard he had found further back, Torgal continued. "I came across this on a dead Zhentian wizard a few miles back and tracked him here. There's a lookout passage at the outcrop I was crouched upon. We can enter there, if you're looking to clean the bastards out. Which reminds me," the barbarian suddenly stopped his speech, looking quizzically at Gamiel and Essel. "What are you lot doing here, and who's the woman and this other fellow?" he asked, nodding towards Mirahako and Scion.
    Last edited by Adjudicator; 2008-06-27 at 10:14 AM.
    Adjudicator

2. - Top - End - #932
    Troll in the Playground

Tarrin

Tarrin grins at Torgal, and moves to him, clasping his arm. Before cracking him upside the head, relatively hard. "Quiet you idiot! Since you know there are Zhents, do you WANT them to hear us?" he hisses in a whisper at him.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Dwarf in the Playground

Torgal Wynn

The barbarian grinned at Tarrin's blow and replied in a somewhat softer voice, "Bah, there are none of them nearby. They'd have heard the lot of you scrambling around here long before I called out."

Torgal clasped his former companion's arm and smiled, happier than he realized to be back in their company, even if only for a short while. Hefting his longspear, he pointed back along the party's trail. "Where do you come from? And why does Bertram have the lot of you out here?"
    Adjudicator

4. - Top - End - #934
    Orc in the Playground

Gamiel

Gamiel's grin stretches from ear to ear as he recognizes Torgal, "My friend so good to see you. I have missed your presence. This is Mirhako, a very interesting individual if I have ever met one. That is Scion, we are assisting him in tracking down the Zhent raiders and his brother. As for why are we out here. We were tasked with assisting a local garrison. Upon our arrival we had quite a scare...." Gamiel continues and summarizes what has happened since they arrived at the fort. "But the time for stories is later. What say you that we go explore that cave, hm?"
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"
    I came, I saw, I stuck around!
    Quote Originally Posted by Apologizes to Lochar
    I live in the real life Ravenloft!
    Gamiel, Reynoldo Estebar, Boar, Gliff Addel

5. - Top - End - #935
    Bugbear in the Playground

Essel Lightningfoot

Essel tries to sputter out a greeting but it just comes out as a squeek. Composing himself he looks up at Scion with a huge grin.

"Well, that could have gone a lot worse."

Essel runs up and gives Torgal a friendly punch in the thigh, since he can't reach the big man's shoulder.

"It's great to see you again! err, it's just that we've been chasing the Zhents to try and rescue someone who was captured when they hit a caravan. I wish we had time to go over everything that's happened, and whoa boy there's a lot, but we'd better get going."
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eberron: The Secrets of War
    Dance my PC puppets, dance!

Image courtesy of iceddragons

Wonderful Avatar of Mehk, kobold Puppeteer of Legend, by Sneak

6. - Top - End - #936
    Troll in the Playground

Tarrin

"Talk later, I'm not going to stand here and wait for the Zhents to be ready for us. Since Torgal found an entrance, can we please use it?"
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Dwarf in the Playground

Torgal Wynn

Torgal listened carefully to Gamiel's explanation of the party's recent activities, reintroducing himself to Gizmo while his master spoke. As he finished the summary, Togal laid a friendly hand on Essel's shoulder and looked at the party. "Well, if they have captives, then we must be about it quickly. Tarrin's right, we need to keep our chance at surprising them. Follow me to the cave entrance and make sure to keep quiet."

Turning to look at the two strangers, Torgal considered them carefully. "Scion, if you have knowledge of these raiders beyond what Gamiel's shared, please fill me in as we go. Mirhako, I assume from Gamiel's endorsement that you are part of the squad now. I know the skills of the others, but before we enter combat, I would know what talents you possess. We've learned how important it is to work together as a team and I would not waste your abilities through ignorance. You too, Scion," the barbarian finished, taking in both of them with his steely gaze. The dragon shaman had fallen back into a leadership role without much thought, partly because it felt normal to him and partly because he had no desire to think of the looming separation coming again when they returned to Bertram's.

Turning on a sandaled heel, the barbarian climbed back up the side of the hill to the entrance he had mentioned, his finely tuned barbarian senses straining for the slightest sound from the Zhentians.

Spoiler
    Show

Activate Draconic Aura of Senses: +1 to Listen and Spot for PCs within 30 feet.
    Last edited by Adjudicator; 2008-06-27 at 12:42 PM.
    Adjudicator

8. - Top - End - #938
    Orc in the Playground

Mirahako

Taking a few moments to size up the large form of the Orc Human. Mirahako is surprised at his eloquence as it contradicts everything she has ever heard of him. "I must confess my abilities with combat and melee are somewhat limited. However i do possess the powers of my ancestors and can offer some protection and healing. It would be best if i remained near the rear and offered healing to those in greatest need." She says unsure how she will measure up to his expectations as she assumes they must be as high as he is tall.
    Last edited by Timaoh; 2008-07-04 at 07:22 AM. Reason: I'm a racist bigot vs orcs i guess
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Toir - In Drawn into Ravenloft
    Mirahako - In Bertram's Shadow: Misfits

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

9. - Top - End - #939
    Orc in the Playground

Scion looks at the newcomer nonplussed, not willing to be bassed around by Torgal former team leader or not.

I fight best on my own. If things go well, you won't even see me most the time. Do your own thing, I can watch out for myself and will aid where I best can.

((Hey gang, just a heads up that I will be away for July running camps and on vacation in California. I will have no internet connection for the next month. This will be my last post until then. Sorry for the delay. Hope you have a great summer. I will be back July 28th))
    Will be away for the month of July, working at Camp

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Rhabin in "The first of Lharvion"
    Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"
    "When the Voice Whispers"

Escaping Purgatory

Avatar done by the Illustrious Dr. Bath
    Shrike, Thaddius, if we get through this, remind me to kill every frightened old man we come across just to be safe.~Morituri

10. - Top - End - #940
    Orc in the Playground

The entrance into the mountain fortress gives access to a long dark tunnel that slopes downward. At the end of the tunnel you see the faint light of a flickering torch and you can just catch the sound of voices talking in what you think is orcish or goblin, though you are too far to make it out for sure.

Scion pulls his cloak up around him, and already seems to fade into the shadows.

I will go ahead. When I give the signal, the rest of you rush to room.

Without waiting for anyone to answer he steps further into the shadows of the tunnel and vanishes.
    Last edited by Breten; 2008-07-31 at 01:47 PM.

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

Shrike, Thaddius, if we get through this, remind me to kill every frightened old man we come across just to be safe.~Morituri

11. - Top - End - #941
    Orc in the Playground

Mirahako

Trying to concentrate harder to sense the location of the rogue as he slips forward into the dark tunnel with her heightened sense of elements Mirahako squints and winces as the train becomes too great. Turning to the rest of her allies. She asks. "How long should we wait before we head in after him? What signal do you suppose he had in mind? Would it really be all that much to ask for people to explain there plans before they rush head-long into danger?" She whisperes the questions loud enough for most to hear but the final question is muttered under her breath as she quickly recalls what spells the gods have put at her disposal for the day. (been too long away forgot what spells she can cast) After waiting a few minutes so that there is enough distance between herself and the erstwhile stealthy Scion. She moves in after him, hoping the rest of the group will quickly follow.
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

12. - Top - End - #942

Essel Lightningfoot

Essel steps closer to his fellow teammates and keeps his voice low, just in case.

"I'm worried about what the raven said," he look pointedly at the others, sparing an apologetic glance at Torgal before continuing, "I'm going to try and follow him, at least to get an eye on the terrain," he raises his voice slightly so that the soldier can hear as well, "It'll be best if we know what we're rushing into, so I won't go too far."

Spoiler
    Show
    Unless anyone says anything different Essel attempts to ghost out and follow Scion.

Hide - (1d20+11)[27]
    Move Silently - (1d20+10)[18]
    Listen - (1d20+6)[13]
    Spot - (1d20+5)[13]
    Search - (1d20+7)[10]
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #943
    Ogre in the Playground

Lukas

The wizard hangs back as the others talk, his recent brush with death getting him a bit reluctant to get close to anything. Plus, the presence of so many dead wizards gives him some added agitation.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Audious View Post
    Randel, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

14. - Top - End - #944
    Orc in the Playground

ESSEL:

You creep ahead keeping back in the shadows, moving as quietly as possible. The room ahead is circular, about fifty feet in diameter. The light is coming from a fireplace, where a large slab of an unknown meat is turning. There is a large rough table with six orcs sitting around it play what you think is some kind of game of chance involving small bones being thrown on a table. There are some pallets around the room as well, and rack along one wall holding four crossbows. Each of the orcs is also armed with a sword or axe at their side. There is a door ahead but it is closed, probably to keep the foul smell of whatever is cooking from spreading. The orcs are in rough chain mail or leather armour, but you do see the crest of the Zhentarim on shields and helms in the room.

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

15. - Top - End - #945

Essel Lightningfoot

Hmm, doesn't look too bad, maybe I was over-reacting.

Essel moves quietly back to the group and barring failure lets them know what's up ahead.

"Lukas, if you can hit them with a sleeping spell then we can take them out easily, assuming that Scion's signal doesn't warn them."

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide - (1d20+11)[15]
    Move Silently - (1d20+10)[15]
    Listen - (1d20+6)[17]
    Spot - (1d20+5)[16]
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #946
    Ogre in the Playground

Lukas

The wizard nods and quietly pulls out a scroll of Sleep. He reads it quietly and targets the orcs around the table. (DC 15)
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #947
    Orc in the Playground

The orcs, intent on their game are taken totally by surprise when the shadows of their room suddenly sprout daggers and two of the largest orcs fall with blade through their throats.

Now! Scion yells

Roll Initiative please

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

18. - Top - End - #948
    Orc in the Playground

Gamiel

Gamiel keeps a firm hand on Gizmo, as he works to keep the dog calm and quiet. He pulls forth a scroll from his case just before Scion calls. As Scion gives the signal, Gamiel reads the scroll with a hand upon Gizmo. "Takedown!" Gizmo bounds forth a new formed froth on his lips.

Spoiler
    Show

Using Scroll of Enrage Animal on Gizmo, then sending him on the closest unengaged orc. I think it's a +2 to Str and Con for Gizmo from the spell. I'm AFB atm. Charge bonus included. AC = 14 until next turn.
    Attack - (1d20+6)[15]
    Damage - (1d8+4)[8]
    Trip - (1d20+3)[18]
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"
    I came, I saw, I stuck around!
    Quote Originally Posted by Apologizes to Lochar
    I live in the real life Ravenloft!
    Gamiel, Reynoldo Estebar, Boar, Gliff Addel

19. - Top - End - #949

Essel Lightningfoot

Essel sprints into the room, drawing his bow and an arrow in one smooth movement to loose the bolt at the surprised orcs.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just moving up and firing an arrow at an orc that's not engaged in melee.

Initiative - (1d20+9)[24]
    Attack - (1d20+6)[21]
    Damage - (1d4)[4]
    Skirmish - (1d6)[5]
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #950
    Ogre in the Playground

Lukas

Lukas readies to action

Spoiler
    Show

using this turn to either cast my sleep spell from the scroll or else fire a bolt from my crossbow (if my spell was already cast)
    Initiative: (1d20+6)[21]

crossbow
    Attack: (1d20+3)[4]
    Damage: (1d8)[1]
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #951
    Orc in the Playground

Mirahako

Hangs back at the edges of the fray waiting for someone to require healing.

initiative - (1d20+2)[21]
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

22. - Top - End - #952
    Orc in the Playground

The room explodes into a burst of action. The remaining orcs barely have time to look started before they are set upon. One takes an arrow to the throat while another is seized by Gizmo and torn apart. The remaining two fall to Randel's spell and fall back face down on the table snoring. Everyone is so intent on the orcs for a moment that when they are all subdued you look up for Scion, but there is no sign of him in the room.

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

23. - Top - End - #953
    Ogre in the Playground

Lukas

With his crossbow at the ready, Lukas enters the room. He keeps an eye out for anything suspicious but doesn't touch anything 9remembering all those traps he's run into before).

24. - Top - End - #954

Essel Lightningfoot

Essel draws his shortsword and stares into the shadows of the room.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot - (1d20+5)[22]
    Listen - (1d20+6)[14]
    Search - (1d20+7)[14]
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #955
    Orc in the Playground

Searching through the room you notice several things.

1)The door opposite the tunnel you came through is open a crack
    2)There is no sign of Scion in the shadows
    3)There is a bag of 65 gold pieces and a masterwork dagger in a chest.

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

26. - Top - End - #956
    Orc in the Playground

Mirahako

Moving to the door Mirahako concentrates trying to tell if there is anyone directly on the other side of the doorway.

(sense elements 10')
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

27. - Top - End - #957
    Orc in the Playground

Hey everyone. I am really sorry to do this, because I really was excited about this story, but I have to face facts: I can't do this anymore. I work insane hours, flitting all over the country, and when I am home I run a youth group and try to spend time with my wife. I run one real life D&D campaign, and in all of that the energy to keep up with this has run out. I post sporatically, and it isn't enough to keep energy going. I would rather just be upfront than let this peeter out. You have all been awesome, and if life changes I would love to do something in the future...but I have to be honest. I am deeply sorry, I did not want to be yet another campaign that died....but here we are. It is especially hard to end this one because it has been going almost a year. We have had some awesome times and memorable character I will take with me into the future. Thank you all for everything.

I am sorry once again

Brian

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory