New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default A Question about D&D the mini-series

Having been alerted by an e-mail from the d&d yahoo group I checked wikipedia and found somewhat dubious info about the sci fi channel developing a mini series using the characters from the D&D 2 Wrath of the Dragon God movie set for sometime in 2009.

I've found no other info to back this up nor any evidence to the contrary except for the fact I can't find anything to confirm which should be enough in itself.

So I'm setting up this thread to see if any of you have had better luck finding out whether this was a case of someone doing this for dubious laughs or whether there actually will be a Sci Fi Channel mini series for the next Dungeons and Dragons related movie.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: A Question about D&D the mini-series

Well, if it's anything like as terrible as the films, I don't think it matters if it's true or not...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Hey, the D&D Movie 2 wasn't...okay, it was bad. But in a good way. It had exactly the writing, acting, and production values I'd expect from a good game of D&D. I'd watch a sequel. I wouldn't pay to see it, but I'd watch it.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2007-11-13 at 06:52 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Hey, the D&D Movie 2 wasn't...okay, it was bad. But in a good way. It had exactly the writing, acting, and production values I'd expect from a good game of D&D. I'd watch a sequel. I wouldn't pay to see it, but I'd watch it.
    Well, compared to D&D 1, D&D was one of the most spectacular good pieces of cinema ever made in that it did not actually inspire a deep and passionate longing for excruciatingly painful death, on the grounds that even that would be better than another second of that movie...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Here is a salmon. You can either hit yourself with it, or let me.
    Stoic (and apparently only) member of the Fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuckets View Post
    And then the Rock totally sneaks up and impales them both on an American flag.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Heh, I actually hope they do. If nothing else, it'll be interesting. For the record, I liked Dungeons & Dragons 2.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Can you imagine a Sci Fi original series based on D&D that was up to the Sci Fi channels good standards (as opposed to their god awful standards)? I mean, if they made an effort and made it a good adventure comedy in the vein of firefly or somesuch, that could be one of the cornerstones of geek television. I, for one, am going to hope that this is both true and worth watching.
    Being a jerk to people on the internet does not make you cool.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Wrath of the Dragon God, I would characterize as mediocre.

Not quite a bad movie, but from what I've heard of many reviews it was like a giant leap for Mankind compared to the original Dungeons and Dragons movie.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ocato View Post
    Can you imagine a Sci Fi original series based on D&D that was up to the Sci Fi channels good standards (as opposed to their god awful standards)? I mean, if they made an effort and made it a good adventure comedy in the vein of firefly or somesuch, that could be one of the cornerstones of geek television. I, for one, am going to hope that this is both true and worth watching.
    It would also help if the lines aren't along the lines of,

"Who shall we ask to come with us on this quest?"

"Well, we can expect to be taking a lot of damage, so we should recruit a barbarian to the cause. Their d12 hit die make them ideal for endurance!"

etc.

I mean, maybe it could be made to work if it was more tongue-in-cheek, but it never is.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Hey, the Barbarian in the flick was hot...

Anyway, I've never seen an Sci Fi Original Series that was actually original that I liked (Eureka was okay, I guess, I just couldn't get into it). However, if, for example, Showtime were to start making a series, then sell all the rights off to Sci Fi, that would turn out pretty good.

(I miss you, SG-1. Even your half-baked Ben Browder seasons that really should have qualified as another spinoff).
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

11. - Top - End - #11
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Hey, the Barbarian in the flick was hot...
    The hotness of the barbarian is beside the point. The point is that she was nothing besides, "the barbarian." I mean, there's making a movie "feel" DnD, and then there's not realizing that rpging and movies are different mediums, and therefore have different needs.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns