New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Star*Drive: Verge's Edge

The ship schematic comes up as the general said it would: a standard 20-seater dropship, equipped with a small Mass Reactor to power the majority of the small vessel, a small stardrive to match the power consumption, capable of making at least a 10-15 lightyear jump within a single starfall, and the standard weaponry systems which include a pair of fire-linked plasma cannons and a single missile launcher.

The Marine beside Casca grins and nods to the android. "C'mon Cas! You might be an android, but you can still mimick us! I mean, you've probably observed us enough, right? You know how the majority of us are!"

On the other side of the android: "Yeah Cas. C'mon! Give us a whoop for joy! Or even just the Marine's Cry! Hooo-RAH!"

Up in the pilot's cabin, the main pilot passes the commlink over his head, up to Wood, as he flicks a few switches and keys in the heading from the landing bay. "I'll let you take care of the communication between the jumper and the flight deck. See if we're cleared, yet."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Robert

For the moment Robert closes out his HUD, wouldn't want to put holes in the docking bay afterall. However, they might need to if command forgets about them...

He then flips on the main communications channel, "Command, this is the dropship, are we good to go yet?"
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zair

The fraal looks over at the Marine's encouraging Cas to let loose. "Maybe he has chosen to mimic the more reserved members of the Corp?" His tone was more questioning then challenging.

4. - Top - End - #34

Casca

"Huh? Yell? I'll do it. HOOO-RAAA!!!" He yelled, but it lacked the oomph that the other marine had. "Is that acceptible?"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quin Reid

Quin glances at the Fraal. "It appears not."
    Spoiler
    Show

Seriphius Decimus-Investigating Empirica
    Lucian Davers-Star Wars: Pirates!
    Crispin Aesier-Kayru

6. - Top - End - #36

Zair

The Fraal turns to Quin, his alien face making him appear older then he really was, "Indeed" he agrees

7. - Top - End - #37

Most of the marines chuckle and grin at the android trying to be more human. The one who gave the suggestion to Casca pats his shoulder, snaking his arm past the guncaddy.

"It was worth a try, Cas. Keep trying, though. You'll get it eventually!"

He then looks to the Fraal and shrugs a bit. "Maybe. We're only trying to help him blend in a little better..." He pauses, glancing at Cas' Chainsaw arm, adding, "Well..... Personality-wise, at least..."

As the loading hatch closes, seals, and locks into place, the Sergeant takes his place in the command chair. He fires up the consoles after securing his rifle and himself. The screens flicker to life, and with a nod, he keys his comm to dock control: "Dropship Alpha to control, all troops are accounted for and secured. This boat is sealed and locked, and we are go for launch on your command."

Meanwhile, the reply from control filters into Wood's ear, crystal clear, just as the ship lurches into motion, righting itself as the bay doors slide open: "Alpha, the docking bay is cleared of personnel. You are now cleared for take-off. I repeat, your take-off status is green. Good luck and we'll see you in Hammers Star."
    Last edited by decemberism; 2007-12-07 at 11:16 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quin Reid

Quin double checks his harness, and grins. "Here we go!"
    Spoiler
    Show

Seriphius Decimus-Investigating Empirica
    Lucian Davers-Star Wars: Pirates!
    Crispin Aesier-Kayru

9. - Top - End - #39

Zair

Double checking his harness he replies to the solider, "People are, what they are, and there is no shame in that." He pauses a gets a far away look in his eyes for a bit. "Of course it is also a good thing to try to maximize your own potential."

10. - Top - End - #40

Svenson plugs in another commset into his console after just barely hearing the green from Control. He adjusts the receiver piece and flicks a few switches, rechecking his lights and monitors one more time.

"Control, this is Pilot Svenson for Alpha Drop. All lights read green. We are outta here. We'll see you in a few days, Adamanthea!"
    And then he switches comms to the Troop deck of the dropship as he eases the small ship towards the open bay doors, grinning as he speaks, his voice switcing to the monotone of movie plane pilots. We all now the voice.
    "Ladies and gentlemen, this is your pilot speaking. Thank you for flying Galactic Concord Dropship Flight 654. As we do not have any flight attendants on board, we'll refer you to our esteemed Sergeant Pike--"
    In the command chair, the sarge swivels around as far as he can, about to raise his voice....
    "--who will serve her place in guiding you through the motions of our emergency instructions."
    Several of the marines grin and snicker quietly. The Sarge casts his glare about before shaking his head.
    "We ask that you please remain in your seats for the duration of the flight. We have no restrooms on board, and if you really need to go, too bad. You shoulda gone before you came aboard.
    "In the case of a minor depressurization, please remain calm. Oh-Two masks will drop from the compartment above your seat. You're better off if you have a space suit, though. In the case of a major blow-out, you're kinda SOL without one and you may as well just kiss your asses good-bye; You'll have just enough time to do it before you suffer the effects of hard vaccuum in space!
    "No, José. There will be no in-flight movie nor first-class meal. You shoulda packed your rations."
    José raises an armored arm towards the cabin, flipping the bird. "Hey! Piss off, Sven!"
    "That being said, we hope you enjoy your flight as we descend into the black depths of Hell and thank you again for flying with the Galactic Concord Marine Corps!"

The ship suddenly launches forward as Svenson guns the throttle, lurching everyone in their seats towards the back of the ship momentarily, eliciting the usual chorus of curses, yelps, and joyous cries from the rest of the marines!

((OOC: Sorry I haven't been around lately, kids! Life kinda took me away for a little bit. :P))

11. - Top - End - #41

((S'salright. I was gone for a while anyway. A cousins wedding and all.))

Casca

Casca waited patiently, monitoring its systems and adjusting power flow from its miniature power plant to its weapons.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

Robert

Robert looks over his shoulder to see if the sarge is paying attention to the front of the shuttle. Seeing that the man is currently engaged in mediating a dispute over the relative merits of a large starting blind, he powers up the weapons system. No one will miss a few asteroids anyway...

13. - Top - End - #43

The sarge is actually quiet, currently watching one of his monitors, solemnly...

But, what he watches, everyone else can see as well, if they're paying attention, as one of the monitors is swiveled towards the rest of the troops in the troop bay of the dropship.

In front of Robert, Svenson focuses on his screens as well, instead of watching outside the canopy, in front of them.

They show the Adamanthea II, drifting away from them for a moment before it's engine ports suddenly flare up. The space right in front of the ship suddenly ripples, but where it would normally be a multicolored ripple that swallows up the ship, it flashes bright red before fading as the ship enters it's starfall.

Several of the troops who hadn't been paying attention to the monitors initially suddenly snap their heads to watch the screen at the brief flash of red.

José suddenly pipes up, pointing at the screen. "Uh.... Hey guys? What was -that-?"
    Last edited by decemberism; 2008-02-06 at 10:55 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44

Zair

Watching the monitor the fraal's face takes on a studious look as he tries to figure out what just happened.

Knowledge (Technology) roll (1d20+12)[22]
    Last edited by estradling; 2008-02-06 at 09:37 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45

Zair

"It was a red starfall. Most likely caused by the burn off of stellar particulates that had attached themselves to the ship before it went. Their is no current scientific support to the general superstition based of the color of the starfall."

16. - Top - End - #46

(OOC: Others at this point may make an Intelligence check to see if they can recall the superstition. At one point or another everyone's heard it.)

17. - Top - End - #47

((Int check - (1d20-1)[18]))

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

Robert

Robert sees the whole starfall through the gunnery console. While not a superstitious man, he is sure that he has heard something regarding this phenomenon. He turns to the sarge and begins to speak. He gets so far as opening his mouth and drawing in a breath, but stops there. With a momentary look of puzzlement, he says nothing.

Could've sworn I heard something about this.

Spoiler
    Show
    Int: (1d20+3)[9] I'll edit in his comment after I get the info.

OOC: Glad this game is back up and running.
    Last edited by Alebeard_Thunderax; 2008-02-12 at 09:20 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49

Casca

Casca cheerfully piped up. "It is as Zair said. Such a happening is not too unusual, nor is it a misfortune."

20. - Top - End - #50

One of the others looks to Casca and chuckles a bit, shaking his head.

"Man, Casca, I wish I had your optimisim. You might not believe or have any use for superstitions, but.... As humans, we do. We've had 'em for as long as we've been around."

Another asks, turning his helmeted head to the Fraal.

"Hey Zair... Your folk have any superstitions?"

And, from the front, Svenson:

"For those that didn't know, a red starfall is seen as bad news by a lot of people. Hopefully, it won't be anything huge."

21. - Top - End - #51

Zair

"The superstition implies a certain amount of primitiveness , or lack of rationality. Neither are traits common to Fraal."

For a few second it seemed like the Zair was going to leave it with his race being to good for it, then he continues, "Still we do have traditions that come from beyond memory and history. Things we do or think in certain situations, that we do simply because that is what we have always done. At some point it was most likely rational and reasonable, but maybe now it is no longer so."

22. - Top - End - #52

The marine shrugs.

"Maybe it ain't the same now, but you still had 'm by the sounds of it, huh?"

And, from the front again:

"Longhauler's running flashers in sight. Closing course, 600 miles. Hey Wood, see if you can get anything on the comms and request docking codes and procedures."

And from the Sarge:

"Alright ladies, you heard the man! Three teams as soon as we dock. I want one team to head for ops, one to stay back with the jumper, and the rest to check out the cargo berths! Are we clear, Marines?!"

23. - Top - End - #53

Casca

"Sir, yes Sir!" Casca intoned with the rest of the marines, and spent a few moments deciding on the probability of which team he would go with. He soon gave up, as there were too many unknown variables to process.

24. - Top - End - #54

Zair

The Fraal nods in acknowledgment of the order. He would go with the ops team unless ordered otherwise. Ops would be where an engineer might be useful, less so checking cargo or holding the ship.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Robert

Robert acknowledges the command by flipping on the external comm. On standard frequencies he broadcasts in the direction of the freighter.

"Attention Longhauler, this is Concorde Dropship Alpha, request permission to dock. Do you copy?"