New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default A Power Metal Appreciation Thread!

As I couldn't find a special Thread dedicated to this quite amazing subgenre of Music (at least not on the last four pages) I decided to start my own.

Who, apart from me, does like Power Metal?

What Bands would you recommend?

Here are some of my favourites:

Edguy
    Hammerfall
    Elvenking
    Sonata Arctica
    Avantasia

Yes, I deliberately did not include Blind Guardian, Iced Earth and Dragonforce into this list because, although I consider them to be quite good, are too popular to recieve a special mention when there are other Bands that deserve to also be in the limelight.

In this sense,
    Some not-so-well-known tipps:

Sabaton
    Van Canto
    Powerwolf
    Spoiler
    Show

In Meinem Kopf ist eine Bombe!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: A Power Metal Appreciation Thread!

I'm a fan of power metal. Mainly Blind Guardian, Hammerfall, and Dio. It's good stuff.

I love the vocals especially (particularly those of Hansi Kürsch, and Joacim Cans).
    Alexi Laiho Avatar by Mr._Saturn
    Spoiler
    Show

Sephiroth and Arthuai
    [CENTER]Sepiroth avatars by Ink
    Arthuai by Mr_Saturn
    Alexi Laiho by Mr_Saturn

I have a metal blog thing now, check it out

Quote Originally Posted by D'anna Biers View Post
    MOTHER NATURE IS LIKE A REAL MOTHER. IN THAT SHE SECRETELY HATES YOU AND NEVER LETS YOU GO OUT WITH YOUR HOODLUM FRIENDS.
    You can't kill the metal, metal will live on! \m/

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

But then again, BG and IE are both VERY non-generic power metal. In fact, they're just speed(BG) or thrash(IE) metal with fantasy lyrics.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes View Post
    But then again, BG and IE are both VERY non-generic power metal. In fact, they're just speed(BG) or thrash(IE) metal with fantasy lyrics.
    But so many people name them as being prime examples of Power Metal that it gets annoying with the Time.

One of the band I included, thinking about it, isn't that typical Power Metal as well, Elvenking. But well, they are stll good.

I nearly forgot to mention, the roots of pOwer Metal (in my eyes)

Helloween, Gamma Ray(both are bands of Kai Hansen) and Rhapsody of Fire (though they were much better when they were only Rhapsody smallwink:)
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

I do have a rather intense affection for Hammerfall and Blind Guardian, and a strong appreciation for Iced Earth and DragonForce as well. Thanks to Pandora Internet Radio, I'm also developing a fondness for Dream Evil, and a few others. *plays Hammerfall station in order to be reminded of some of these others*
    Spoiler
    Show

Zöe Althira in When On Olympus
    Ratri Aeval in Double Major
    Mercedes Swift, Scion of Hermes, in ???
    Haiiro Mariko in The Scarlet Shadow
    Kris "Krash" Ashton in Colony
    Karen Mallory in Changing Breeds

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6

Too bad I can't give my two cents here, because we don't get enough CD's

It's weird... We get all the ghetto shiz about the same time everyone else does, and metal CD's a year later, if lucky. The other option is not at all.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I understand your reasons for not including Blind Guardian and Iced Earth... but that doesn't mean I'm willing to let this heresy go unpunished!

Anyway, Blind Guardian is one of my most favourite bands. Iced Earth less so, but they are fine. And let's not forget the collaborative project of the two (well, two members of them), Demons & Wizards, which is awesome as well.

Also, Halloween and Gamma Ray.

Referring to Blind Guardian, this is only true for their earlier albums. How is Nightfall in Middle-Earth or the newer ones speed metal?
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I like Blind Guardian, HammerFall and I quite enjoy Dragonforce, even though I try not to focus on lyrics in the latter case My favorite Blind Guardian songs are probably Nightfall and When Sorrow Sang, and Hammerfall- Fury of the Wild and Threshold.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Referring to Blind Guardian, this is only true for their earlier albums. How is Nightfall in Middle-Earth or the newer ones speed metal?
    They aren't, it's just that I don't have Nightfall and don't listen to ANATO and ATITM as much as the older stuff, so I keep forgetting them.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    ...and I quite enjoy Dragonforce, even though I try not to focus on lyrics in the latter case
    Good idea.

My favorite Blind Guardian songs are probably Nightfall and When Sorrow Sang, ...
    Nightfall's my favourite, too. It was the first song of them I ever heard, and it was basically the song which hooked me into metal in the first place.

It was quite funny, too, because I was listening to the song, admiring it, but without knowing what it was about (and wondering about it all the time, since it seemed somehow familiar).
    Then came the line with "Valar he is, that's what you said....", and I was all like:
    Re-listened to it instantly for, I believe, a dozen of times or so.

They aren't, it's just that I don't have Nightfall and don't listen to ANATO and ATITM as much as the older stuff, so I keep forgetting them.
    Ah, I see, that's a fair reason.
    ...wait, you what?! Get out and get it, then, right now!
    As for ANATO and ATITM, while I still like ANATO, I consider it to be far weaker than the other BG albums (with the exception of And Then There Was Silence, which is a masterpiece), whereas ATITM is quite on par with Nightfall and Imaginations (my two favourite BG albums), although it took me quite a few times listening to it to arrive at this conclusion.
    Generally, I found that the last two BG albums I did not like when I heard them the first time, but found them quite excellent after the third one or so.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2007-11-17 at 04:12 PM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Nightfall's my favourite, too. It was the first song of them I ever heard, and it was basically the song which hooked me into metal in the first place.

It was quite funny, too, because I was listening to the song, admiring it, but without knowing what it was about (and wondering about it all the time, since it seemed somehow familiar).
    Then came the line with "Valar he is, that's what you said....", and I was all like:
    Re-listened to it instantly for, I believe, a dozen of times or so.
    I actually find figuring out what parts of Silmarillion are the lyrics from The Nightfall in Middle-Earth about quite fun. Even though I only managed it with few of them.
    Last edited by Morty; 2007-11-17 at 04:19 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

12. - Top - End - #12

Well, as I said, we don't have it. ANYWHERE. But yeah. ATITM is strange.
    It has this different feel to it. While it doesn't have the energy of, say, TFTTW or SFB, it creates this sonic atmosphere in my room. Seriously. It changes the whole feel of the room.

Wait... IT'S A CONSPIRACY! THEY'RE PLAYING WITH OUR MINDS! SUBCONSCIOUS MESSAGES!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I actually find figuring out what parts of Silmarillion are the lyrics from The Nightfall in Middle-Earth about quite fun. Even though I only managed it with few of them.
    Do Nightfall In Middle-Earth albums outside of Germany also come with these short stories at the back of the booklet? 'Cause here, there is a whole bunch of short stories in it, written by Hansi from the perspective of Maglor, the poet and only surviving son of Feanor, gone insane by all the events of the Silmarillion in this version... a very interesting interpretation of the Silmarillion, portraying quite a few characters in a very different light than Tolkien himself.

Though the prose is a bit over the top.

It has this different feel to it. While it doesn't have the energy of, say, TFTTW or SFB, it creates this sonic atmosphere in my room. Seriously. It changes the whole feel of the room.
    I know what you mean. Still, Otherland and Turn the Wheel are two of the best songs Blind Guardian's ever made, in my humble opinion.

Wait... IT'S A CONSPIRACY! THEY'RE PLAYING WITH OUR MINDS! SUBCONSCIOUS MESSAGES!
    Why, yes. Soon, young drone, you will be one of us.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2007-11-17 at 04:25 PM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nah, they would never do anything like that, would they?

I mean, they are so nice, and friendly, and only want to play good metal...
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Were any of you at the Blind Guardian Open Air Festival in Coburg, when was it, two or three years ago?

I may never again witness such magnificence... but at least, when I die, I will know my life had a reason...
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

16. - Top - End - #16

I know what you mean. Still, Otherland and Turn the Wheel are two of the best songs Blind Guardian's ever made, in my humble opinion.
    Well. Wow. Those are the only songs I dislike from ATITM. Strange, eh? My faves are Lionheart and The New order. Carry The Blessed Home for sad moods.
    Why, yes. Soon, young drone, you will be one of us.
    That made me laugh!

And no, I've never been to a BG concert. It makes me sad. The reason? I don't have enough funds to travel to any of their shows, and they probably'll never do one in Estonia.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Virgin Steele
    Manowar
    Gamma Ray
    Hammerfall
    Domine
    Another Erfword Tool

Official Metalhead of the I Hate Club. Good riddance.

W.W.S.H.D.
    (What Would Sledge Hammer Do?)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm not really an expert on this genre, as the only true Power Metal band I've heard is Dragonforce, but, at least in that case, I don't like what I hear at all.

They're good technical players and all, but they have no songwriting ability whatsoever. I should probably listen to something more off the beaten path, and see if I like it.
    Signature?! What!?

Awesome Commander Greven Il-Vec avatar by Threeshades.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

(sorry for answering only now, the BroodWar session got into the way)

Well. Wow. Those are the only songs I dislike from ATITM. Strange, eh?
    Heh, wow. I have a friend, with whom I always agree upon which albums are good and which are bad (regardless of band), but just as always disagree upon which songs from an album are good and which are bad - ATITM was the first and only occasion where we agreed. So, hey, you managed to top that friend of mine in deviating from my opinion, and that's quite an accomplishment.

My faves are Lionheart and The New order. Carry The Blessed Home for sad moods.
    The New Order would be Number 3 from that album for me. No idea how the ranking goes from there.

That made me laugh!
    You think that was a joke?

Well, you are right!

And no, I've never been to a BG concert. It makes me sad. The reason? I don't have enough funds to travel to any of their shows, and they probably'll never do one in Estonia.
    Aww, too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by EntilZha View Post
    Virgin Steele
    My, how could I forget Virgin Steele? They are great!

Quote Originally Posted by commander43 View Post
    I'm not really an expert on this genre, as the only true Power Metal band I've heard is Dragonforce, but, at least in that case, I don't like what I hear at all.

They're good technical players and all, but they have no songwriting ability whatsoever. I should probably listen to something more off the beaten path, and see if I like it.
    Well, personally, I think Dragonforce are okay at best. Compared to such as Blind Guardian, their songs feel horribly...
    ...bland? I'm not entirely sure whether that's the word I seek, but I can't think of a better one.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh man, I'm really lucky. My dad became a Blind Guardian fan to recently, and says that next time they come to the US if they do one close enough we can go to one of their concerts .
    Alexi Laiho Avatar by Mr._Saturn
    Spoiler
    Show

Sephiroth and Arthuai
    [CENTER]Sepiroth avatars by Ink
    Arthuai by Mr_Saturn
    Alexi Laiho by Mr_Saturn

I have a metal blog thing now, check it out

Quote Originally Posted by D'anna Biers View Post
    MOTHER NATURE IS LIKE A REAL MOTHER. IN THAT SHE SECRETELY HATES YOU AND NEVER LETS YOU GO OUT WITH YOUR HOODLUM FRIENDS.
    You can't kill the metal, metal will live on! \m/

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Virgin Steele
    Manowar
    Gamma Ray
    Hammerfall
    Domine
    Yes, I give you Domine, But how can you mention Virgin Steele and Manowar in a Power Metal Thread. They are not. They are far out the Realms of Power Metal. They are True Metal, which is a totally different subgenre and would need its own Appreciation Thread.

only joking...
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

They were in Helsinki last summer, just over the Gulf. In other words; Nyah! (Just kidding. 'Tis a horrible thing to not see such a good band live.)

As an amusing anecdote, the Finnish power metal band Teräsbetoni will soon be competing for a spot as Finland's representative in the next Eurovision song contest. I just love my country. (The band's not bad, either. Their live concert last summer might well have been the best gig I've ever seen.)

23. - Top - End - #23

Attilargh - while it is just over the gulf, yes, it still costs money. I don't have even 1000 kroons to take from anywhere. (62.5 EUR).

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Attilargh View Post
    They were in Helsinki last summer, just over the Gulf. In other words; Nyah! (Just kidding. 'Tis a horrible thing to not see such a good band live.)

As an amusing anecdote, the Finnish power metal band Teräsbetoni will soon be competing for a spot as Finland's representative in the next Eurovision song contest. I just love my country. (The band's not bad, either. Their live concert last summer might well have been the best gig I've ever seen.)
    They sound... interesting, but yet somehow funny and good. Could be because I have a knack on the finnish language, though I don't understand a single word.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

I saw Blind Guardian here in Vienna last october... it was awesome, even though most of them were sick. :/

Seeing Sonata Arctica on wednesday, can't wait :-)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

On a different note:

I joust saw the video to Edguy-Superheroes for the first time. And i found it hilarious.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

OMG I can't believe none of you have mentioned Kamelot yet, although their newer stuff isn't really power metal their old stuff definitely is!

Also I highly recommend Sonata Arctica, Epica, HammerFall, Lost Horizon and Symphony X.

Some of these bands tend towards progressive and other styles of metal as well

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

It's my experience that metal genre labels are often arbitrary and subjective.
    Another Erfword Tool

Official Metalhead of the I Hate Club. Good riddance.

W.W.S.H.D.
    (What Would Sledge Hammer Do?)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's my experience that metal genre labels are often arbitrary and subjective.
    While this may be and certainly even is that way(sometimes), you still can make an appreciation thread for one of these genres, if you invite everything that someone considers Power Metal into it and have a big Party.

I also know Kamelot, just forgot to mention them as I only have one album. BUt yeah, they are also pretty good, especially if you are into "classical" music too.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Don't know alot of power metal, exept for DragonForce, and they do absolutely nothing for me. Prog Metal, on the other hand-I can live with that. Yay Dream Theater.