New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15303132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1509

Thread: Auromar, IC 2

1. - Top - End - #1171
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Auromar, IC 2

Reid

Still tense after last night's interruption, Reid is subdued and restless all day. He finds himself unable to rest easily, continuing to twist the wooden ring on his finger.

Dothen's pronouncement about fires brings a sad nod from the priest.

And so the servant of the light is forced to hide in darkness. Still, you are wise, my friend.

Actually, it's interesting. Our scrying could only sense an area in his immediate vicinity. Either his scrying is considerably more powerful, or else he was able to scry our location last night, pop in there, and then move hundreds of feet away without any of us noticing.

He shakes his head.

Pfft. This is why I prefer the path of the sun. It is straight, bright, and clear.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dothen

Ahh, but the sun follows the same path every day. The stars wander all over the sky in the night. Dothen says from nearby.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Reid trusts Dothen's keen ears to catch his soft words, and it's hard to keep a plaintive tone from them.

I suspect that, by the time this is done, I'll have had my fill of wandering, at least for a time. Give me steady warmth, and a series of predictable paths any day. The stars are all well and good to inspire poetry, but the sun brings life.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #1174

Dothen

Dothen does not reply, enjoying the coming silence of the night. Keeping watch dutifully on his friends, was now doubly important with their pursuit by the summoner. Still he enjoyed the coolness of the night and the few stars kept him silent company.

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Couple of rolls.
    (1d20+7)[21]
    (1d20+3)[4]

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh joy. Now waiting on... well, whatever it is :P

Hist

Hist turned in as soon as possiable, and woke up again about midnight. It wasn't his watch, but he decided to get a breather anyway.

And you've been surprised far too often of late. Better take care.

With that thought, Hist smiled, and, with a thought or two, his wings became real once more. Energy glowed around him, obscuring his face slightly. Those looking at the ground would see that, no matter where he steped, the grass now seemed undisturbed.

I'm not going to be had for a mug again.

And with that, Hist took off into the sky, smiling. It was still dark, and the warlock's equally dark clothing ensured he wasn't too easy to spot. But he didn't care about that. He just tumbeled arround in the sky, simply enjoying the only true "blessing" his powers grant.

I haven't flown like this for far too long.

When the sun rose, Hist descended to the ground, ready to take his watch.

Spoiler
    Show
    DooL on will, Entropic warding and fell flight. Unless otherwise stated, Hist will now activate all three every morning.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

In Auromar, Histantos Illist, Aasimar Warlock.

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Troll in the Playground

The night passes quickly and silently for all of you, no disturbance coming this night.

The morning sun rises, chasing the night away. Today there are a good number of clouds overhead, heading in a generally western direction. They have the look of rain in the couple days or so.

Spoiler
    Show
    I love fake rolls, MW.

8. - Top - End - #1178

Dothen

Dothen breaks camp quickly making sure the horses are ready for a long day. After checking everything and breaking bread with the others he says Lets get a move on today, hopefully the crossroads isn't that far off.

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I know . I'd intended to do this anyway; Hist is annoyed at himself for not being as good as he should be in the last few battles

Hist

Hist smiled, in spite himself, as the morning sun came into view.

Let's deal with the day as it comes

He dosn't take in breakfast with the group though, insted, he takes out a small pearly white stone, and holds it to his head. After a moment, it starts to orbit the warlock, who smiles at it. He waits for the others to take in the meal, and mounts up as Dothen is talking.

Yes, let's get moving. We'll be there before we know it at this rate.
    Last edited by Moral Wiz; 2008-03-12 at 03:09 PM.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Reid's prayers this morning are more relaxed, and his meditations more prolonged, than they have usually been.

He too is eager to saddle up and be on their way.

If we are to be getting to the crossroads, it can't be soon enough for my tastes.

11. - Top - End - #1181

Dothen

Dothen again pushes the troop on this day. He rides the horses hard but carefully so as not to harm them. He carefully watches the horizons for signs of civilized life (smoke/haze). He is quiet most of the day thinking on how to best lay a trap for the mage that is following them.

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

At the brief mid-day meal break, Reid breaks his silence.

I've been thinking...about this wizard following us. Two things.

First, either he knows now that Grazys is not going to be as cooperative as the Scholar hoped, or else this agent is working without direct contact. At our first meeting, we have every reason to believe that Hiran would have observed the, ah...

He gestures to the back of his hand.

Which do we think it is? Or am I missing other possibilities?

Second, the most likely means that he has of tracking us from place to place, assuming that he's not simply flying above us each day, is through the same kind of divination, like what I did. Since he's been attacking us at night, it seems reasonable that he is studying us after sundown, and simply teleporting to us. If we were to change our travel patterns, use light sources to either keep travelling a few hours later or start sooner some days, it would be a bit wearying for us, but it would also make it much harder for him to know where we are when we are resting and most vulnerable.

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

Hmm... I can provide an hour and a half's light. Reid, if you can add to that, we should be able to make pretty reasonable time all night long
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Reid smiles. Light was one thing he could do.

I should be able to provide another 3 hours of illumination. More, with some preparation, of course.

15. - Top - End - #1185

Dothen

Dothen listens in Whatever ya'll magical types think is best. Light is not really my best friend so you'd best not expect any of that stuff from me. I don't even carry torches or a lantern around anymore. he says chuckling. We should get a move on and take a long rest in the after noon though if we intend to keep going into the night.

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

So, four and a half hours of rapid movement

Hist considers for a moment as he rides

So, we take a rest this afternoon, then continue until sundown. Then, proceed for an hour or two in darkness, slowly and then use the light to herald normal movement for as long as possible. Then, continue slowly until sun up. That way, the odds are that he'll look for us whilst we're moving too quickly to locate our position

Is that reasonable?
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

17. - Top - End - #1187

Dothen

If the horses don't crap out on us in the process sounds good to me.

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys Senneker

Grazys had remained quiet for most of the ride, deep in thought with trying to figure out Hiran's plans and motives in addition to pondering vestige's that might offer protection from scrying. "So I'll ride the normal horse for the early stuff, then summon my new best friend," the binder pats his summoned warhorse on the neck, and ride him when we might expect an attack?" he asks.

"Oh, and I can make it so I can see in darkness, no worries, there. I could bind Andras and Geryon, get that acid gaze thing goin', too!"
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the delay. Been a hellish week. Program Manager conference at work, and support for that crap all week. Yesterday was the decompression day. :P

New travel plans decided upon a lunch, you all break for longer than normal and then leave. The clouds overhead still get slightly thicker, but no where near rain levels yet.

You travel until sundown, and then with the help of Reid and Hist's magics, several more hours by summoned magical light.

Camp is made, and there are no interruptions.

The next morning, the clouds overhead have thickened considerably, promising rain sometime today.

20. - Top - End - #1190

Camp until noon so Reid can sleep and get spells, rest horse. Push on until well past dark again.

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Ogre in the Playground

Seconded. From now on traveling at night more than day if possible, to reduce possibility of ambush.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Sounds good to me.

Also, please note that Reid doesn't need 8 hours of sleep each night, but does need to rise at dawn to pray.

However, we can travel longer than usual today, if desired - I've memorized Healing Lorecall, which allows me to remove fatigue at the end of the day with any healing spell.

Edit: oh, and last evening's Sending, to Anura:

Approaching crossroads. Think Hiran is tracking us magically. Suggestions on evading? We are shifting travel/movement schedules.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-03-17 at 12:55 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Troll in the Playground

Reid:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Detect magic will find scrying sensors. Cover tracks. Not sure what else. Priests showed up on boat recently, none lost. No sleep, no curse lost.

Riding out, about mid afternoon you find what looks to be the remnants of a wall, and can see about ten minutes worth of riding will bring you to a newer looking set of walls. Or at least a standing set. They stretch out quite a ways in both directions, before turning away. This close, you can see the occasional wisp of smoke come from behind the walls. There are also a couple of buildings that you can see that rise above the ten foot walls, but they don't seem to be close to wall, but further in.

Spoiler
    Show
    Code:
    \                     /
     \                   /
      \                 /
       \_______________/

X
    X is the direction you would be coming at the walls from.

Not to scale.

24. - Top - End - #1194

Dothen

Dothen rises from his saddle with a holler at the walls HELLOO! Anyone home? He sits back down on his saddle and says to the others No need to get shot at for not announcing our selves, shall we find a way in? With that he turns to the west looking for signs of life and a gate.

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    You're all a ten minute ride from the walls. What you're near right now is a broken set of walls with no one near them. Although, thinking about it, shouting at the distance you're at should be audible.

26. - Top - End - #1196

Spoiler
    Show

Out of easy bowshot but within earshot is what I am thinking. Not really expecting an answer, but on the off chance of there being hostile guards on the wall this will hopefully reduce their hostility.

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Make a spot check for me then

28. - Top - End - #1198

Spoiler
    Show

Spot (1d20+10)[12] edit - the sun's in my eyes...yeah thats the story and I'm sticking to it.
    Last edited by Greyen; 2008-03-17 at 09:07 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Troll in the Playground

All:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dothen definitely doesn't see anything. Anyone else want to make a spot check?

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Update with IC reaction later (1d20+5)[23] spot
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden