Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1509

Thread: Auromar, IC 2

1. - Top - End - #1411
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Auromar, IC 2

Reid

Reid nods slowly.

Also, friends, can you sense anything about two spirits inside the temple? Could one of you go see who it is, and let them know we only seek to help?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Troll in the Playground

Reid:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Where he started the task, in the temple.

A moment's wait, and Matthew's voice returns to your mind. Rico is there, along with the High Priest. Rico is only partially there, an arm, part of his chest, and a leg. The rest is just light to us.
    Last edited by Lochar; 2008-03-27 at 09:59 AM.

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dothen

Dothen keeps quiet and unseen, watchful for corporeal and noncorporeal people.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot (1d20+13)[16]
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Troll in the Playground

Dothen:
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the dark and light rain, you can't make out much beyond about thirty feet in front of you, but you don't see anything there.

5. - Top - End - #1415

Dothen

Dothen, seeing that he cannot see too far steps away from the light of the others and out into the weather beginning a slow patrol of the immediate area keeping watch for the others.

Spoiler
    Show

Not being more than 50-100 feet away from the Reid and Grazys. Moving slowly to keep hidden he's just going to keep watch for the city watch.

Spot (1d20+13)[31] - if it is required
    Listen (1d20+13)[22]

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Reid smiles with a bit of resignation.

Thank you, Matthew. I understand that seeing Rico in this way must be painful to you - I only hope that it helps us gain a better understanding of the curse.

He shifts to talk with the others once Dothen returns.

Well, the spirits inside are Rico and the high priest - which suggests either that the high priest is not the man we spoke with this afternoon, or else that he's stepped out of his host body for a time.

Also, as I mentioned, only parts of Rico materialize at a time. Apparently, right now, we'll have an arm, his chest, and part of a leg. If we aren't able to use the others to help communicate with him - perhaps kinaesthetically or telepathically - this could be difficult. Nonetheless, we should try. Shall we?

Assuming that Dothen's scouting is clear, and the others are willing, Reid offers the proper prayer upon entrance to the temple, and leads the way.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys Senneker

The binder shrugs and follows Reid inside, eager to be out of the rain. He remains silent as they gather inside, but focuses on locating the spirits.
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Troll in the Playground

Entering the church, it is quiet and empty, even the three priests from earlier gone. Either in a different part of the church or in homes away from here.

There are a few scraps of food left at the tables but it has been well and throughly cleaned up. The desk that the priest you spoke with is cleaned up with no papers, and no drawers in the desk.

Reid:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you get close to the center of the room, Elyham's voice enters your mind, oddly neutral.

My son.

Abel's speaks afterwards. She retreats away from it, how I wish I could as well.

Grazys:
    Spoiler
    Show
    There are two spirits in here, one in front of the symbol of Pelor, another near it.

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys Senneker

With a slight nod forward, Grazys quietly speaks. "Near the symbol of Pelor. One in front of it and another nearby." He comfortably rests his hand on his rapier as he waits for Reid to move.

10. - Top - End - #1420

Dothen

Dothen whispers to the group I'm still here, I'm going to look around. Dothe begins a slow deliberate search of the main chapel area, keeping an eye out for anything that seems out of place, fake or tacked on to something older/antique.

Spoiler
    Show

Search (1d20+16)[31] or take 20 if we have time.

Maintain Hide/Mov Silent of possible, keep an eye and ear out for intruders (other than ourselves of course)

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Troll in the Playground

Dothen:
    Spoiler
    Show
    There doesn't seem to anything odd about the temple, it's in good repair and seems to be what a temple should be. There are a couple of doors leading off to either side, into the two story 'towers' on either side of the main temple.

12. - Top - End - #1422

Spoiler
    Show

After searching the main area Dothen will go stand by the front door watching for intruders, someone that might interrupt Reid and Grazys with their work. Dothen's just trying to smooth out any mundane wrinkles before they become a problem for Reid and Grazys to figure out what the heck is going on. Including sapping a guardsman before he can be a problem if needed.

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Reid smiles gratefully at Dothen's diligence. It was reassuring, in this crazy situation, to have older and more competent men like Grazys and Dothen around.

Reid stepped closer to the symbol.

Abel, I'm sorry. I know how difficult this must be, but I need you to describe the two figures here, as you see them. Also, please tell me which one is Rico. If you speak to him, can he hear you?

Hist, you're sure that there's no chance that this symbol used to be a symbol of Pygas, nothing like that? You seemed to have a sense for these things.

Seeking reassurance, Reid fingered his own much smaller sun-symbol, praying for whatever guidance and strength it might afford.

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

well... I can look for magic in it. But I'm not sure if I can sense the curse, if it was there. You might want to ask the priests if they simply changed the old symbol.

With that, after a moment of simply staring at the symbol, Hist focused on his powers, and awakening his eyes to the mystic.

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect magic. (1d20+5)[20] spot check to see if the symbol bares any similarity to the symbol of Pygas. Mentally comparing the two symbols; seeing if one could be warped into the other.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

In Auromar, Histantos Illist, Aasimar Warlock.

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Troll in the Playground

Reid:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rico cannot hear us, as he does not have ears to listen. The other is Pelor's main priest here, before the town was cursed. He was the one that begin the ritual for Rico to attempt the Radiante path. Hold on a moment, Master.

Your mind is quiet for a moment, before Abel's voice returns. Father Illian says to sleep and talk to him yourself, and to tell you goodbye?

At the end of that sentence, you feel a wave of Pelor's light, oddly emanating from a point where you can't see anything, but where Grazys' said the other spirit was standing. It overrides your connection to the other four and you lose control of them.

Hist:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The symbol is carved into stone, inlaid with wood. The wood shows signs of being new.

Spellcraft check of 22+
    Spoiler
    Show
    The wall shows signs of having been molded with several castings of Sculpt Stone. You cannot sense any lingering magics that might belong to Pygas.

Grazys:
    Spoiler
    Show
    For a moment, you sense the four spirits that Reid controls have their curse buried even deeper, before whatever was covering the curse is removed completely, leaving them as they were before Reid took control over them.

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys Senneker

Tilting his head to the side, Grazys turns a puzzled look on Reid. "What just happened? They're back ta tha way they were before ya...whatever ya did ta 'em back at tha inn."
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2008-03-28 at 08:25 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

The priest is clearly puzzled.

Abel just told me that Rico couldn't hear them, because he had no ears in this place, at least right now. He also spoke with the other spirit, who is apparently Father Illian, the priest of Pelor who helped Rico attempt the path of the Radiente.

Father Illian seems to have used his own power to release them, which has broken my contact with all four. Before the contact was broken, Abel passed on a message from Father Illian: that I should sleep, and speak with him directly.

While that's tempting - the Father is likely to have a unique sensitivity and perspective on the situation - it seems like breaking the contact in the way he did was a, well, a precipitous action on his part.

He moves even closer to the sun-symbol, running his hands along it.

I want to trust him, to surrender to the good of all, but something pulls me back from the prospect of opening myself here, in sleep - even to a fellow priest. What do you think?

18. - Top - End - #1428
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys Senneker

With a thin smile, Grazys nods to Reid, then shakes his head. "I'm not the most trustin' sort in tha world, as ya may know. It seems a bit odd that he'd dismiss tha family like that, but yer tha priest, an' he's a priest, so what kinda feelin''re ya gettin' from Pelor? I'll be able ta sense if he does somethin' untoward - I think - but I don' think any of us'd be able ta help ya fend off if he, or another, were ta try somethin'."

Lochar:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The spirits are still around, just no longer under Reid's control? Which basically means there's no communicating with 'em any more, too, right?

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Troll in the Playground

Grazys:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, they're all still here. Reid could attempt to do the same thing he'd done before, if he wants to attempt to re-establish control and a connection with them.

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Reid nods a bit glumly.

It is a bit of a, well, a caught-in-the-middle situation. I can't really judge Father Illian or his actions without having some way to communicate with him, and I can't communicate with him without opening myself up to him before I know about the reasoning behind his actions. Unless I try to connect with him via Pelor's energy...although that might seem, well, rude in his own temple.

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys Senneker

Grazys laughs loudly, then stifles it into minor chuckles. "Sorry. I bet it would at that. Not ta mention he may be more powerful than an ordinary townsfolk's spirit, eh?"

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

Hist seems curious at the actions of the unseen father.

I'll... confess I don't know truly what's best here Reid. To sleep here and open your mind to his... well, that is a high degree of trust. After regaining control of the other spirits... well, it is your decision here.

Of course, all this could be a test of faith.

He smiles.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+3)[15] Spellcraft. Just out of completeness.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

In Auromar, Histantos Illist, Aasimar Warlock.

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Reid nods.

That too. On the other hand, invoking the power of Pelor in a place of his worship shouldn't be seen as too awful a slight.

I hope.

Grazys, am I standing close to Father Illian?

When he feels about as ready as he's likely to be, Reid again reaches out to the spirits with the power of Pelor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, this will almost certainly fail. But then, that's what I thought the LAST time I tried to turn the spirits.

Turn rebuked: (1d20+3)[10] = max 10 HD.
    Hit Dice commanded: (2d6+13)[24]
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-03-28 at 11:58 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1434
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys Senneker

The binder directs Reid close to the spirit of Father Illian as best he is able.

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Troll in the Playground

Hist:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing that you can tell with that check.

Reid:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pelor's might rolls from you, his energies flowing over the nearby spirits you know are there, even if you can't see them.

You feel the mental connections reforge themselves with the four previously, and feel an odd roll over where Rico is at, according to Grazys and the others, but you don't make a connection with him.

Where Father Illian is, you feel the energy sent forth run up straight against a wall. Illian is too powerful to awe or control.

Yes Master? three familiar voices echo in your mind.

Abel's voice speak differently. Master, Father Illian has a message for you. It was 'Do not control the spirits of those innocent of any wrong doing, that is not the way of Pelor's light.'

26. - Top - End - #1436
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Reid takes the spirit's admonitions to heart, bowing his head.

Abel, I humbly beg your pardon, the Father's, and all of yours. I will do everything I can not to compel you to any action you would not willingly undertake - and please understand that I do this only in hopes of freeing the spirits from this curse.

Please explain to the Father that I cannot risk lowering my guard to sleep at this time - for the sun is watchful as well as kind - and that I have re-established this contact with you only to facilitate communications with him - and, I had hoped, with Rico. Are you willing to act as our interlocutor? You are free to say no, if you desire.

He glances up at his colleagues, not wishing to alarm them.

I have re-established contact with our four companions from the inn. The Father - has pointed out an error in my judgement in returning them to a state of servitude, which I accept, and will do penance for. I am begging their forebearance to remain in this state for a short time, that we may use them to communicate with the Father - and, perhaps, with Rico.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-03-28 at 05:20 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1437
    Troll in the Playground

Reid:
    Spoiler
    Show
    We don't mind helping.

There is a moment, and then Abel speaks again. Father Illian agrees to this as well, as long as you release us before leaving the temple. He asks what would you speak of with him.

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Reid nods.

Father Illian has agreed to speak with us through Abel, and asks that we release the four spirits before we go. This seems like a most reasonable request. What questions do we have? I'll start off by asking him about himself, his own recollections of the coming of the curse, and of the nature of Rico's predicament.

Reid focuses on Abel. He asks the questions slowly, allowing the spirit time to repeat the question and respond before moving on to each question after.

First, our blessings and thanks to the father. Was it unselfishness, or some other power, that has held him back from pairing with one of the settlers?

What are Father Illium's recollections of the coming of the curse?

Does he retain his priestly abilities in his new state?

Where are the parts of Rico that we cannot see? Abel, I apologize, but I seek only the freeing of all of the spirits - including, and perhaps especially, Rico's.

Can Rico be touched by other spirits while in this state? Does he respond to your touch?

Has the curse affected the guardsmen who do not share control of their host bodies differently, or is it their choice that they manifest differently?

Does Father Illium know if townspeople with the two souls in them can leave the town?

Does Father Illium know if there is a physical location which acts as a focal point for the curse?

Does Father Illium know of any people in town who do not have a soul companion or guardsman soul resident in them? Aside, of course, from the four of us.

The traditions of the Radiente have changed considerably since the time of your birth. Can Father Illium describe to us, in confidence, the ceremony that he used with Rico? It may be a clue as to how the curse affects you, and how it might be lifted. If he requires, I will keep the details secret.

As Reid brings each question to Abel, he relays the answer to the previous question to his companions, to cut down on the lag in such a long conversation.

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Troll in the Playground

Father Illian has not asked anyone to host his spirit while Rico is still torn between the test and the curse. He wishes to fix what happened to the boy before he feels he can attempt to pass on.

Father Illian was the head priest of Pelor for the town when the curse came down, but he wasn't even as strong in his faith as Reid appears to be now, he gained in faith and strength during the years and years of waiting for the curse to be broken. He feels that had he been stronger in his faith when the curse happened, he may have been able to stave off the effects for the town, instead of succumbing to them as had happened.

He retained the ability to call upon Pelor's light to control spirits, which he used to keep those who would forcibly take bodies in line, but they hid their intentions too well and managed to take bodies anyways. Pelor's prayers are taken at dawn, when the spirits bound by the curse vanish, so he is not able to pray for Pelor's magics.

The parts of Rico that cannot be seen are in Pelor's Light, the testing ground of the Raidente. The curse binds his spirit here though, and he cannot complete the test to pass or fail it, and is therefore trapped between.

Rico can be touched and talked to, if his head appears on that particular night. His mind seems to be split or gone though, and he only speaks gibberish.

The guards followed the faith of the One, but were not evil, just lawful. They took bodies to guard the town again, fufilling their duties as they saw them. They did not give a choice to those who came, and there were too many to control all at once to keep them from taking bodies.

No one has left the town at night while those still cursed as spirits can see. During the day, the spirits do not exist to see if they do leave.

The spirits act as the focal points for the curse. Before the explorers came, the curse was spread out and weak among each spirit. As each took a host or shared, the curse bound in them was released and split among those still without flesh. Should there be only one spirit left, Father Illian assumes that one spirit would be the single focus point for the curse.

All in the town currently have a spirit of the original townspeople in them. Those who did not wish to take on a spirit can no longer be found in the town. Father Illian assumes they left and went further into the continent.

Reid:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The test of the Raidente seperates body and soul for a limited time, ascending the soul for a small time to a place between this plane and Pelor's plane. It is called Pelor's Light, for those who return speak of a light that shines brightly, such that only the most pious of all can see into that light and gain the radiance that marks one of Pelor's direct mortal servants. It is said that the light is given off by Pelor himself, and each Radiant Servant reflects that light himself when he returns from the test.

Father Illian would like to know if you have only just begun on the path of the Raidente, for the light of your soul is brighter than that of a normal priest of Pelor, but no where near the brightness of the Raidente of his time.

30. - Top - End - #1440
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Reid actually smiles a bit at the Father's question.

I am indeed newly come to the Radiente. I took my oath and training just a few weeks before setting sail. One morning, Father Thodor called me "flash in the pan" - full of Pelor's light, but not able to hold it steady, he said. I suppose he might be right. I have certainly fallen short of His example from time to time, here on Auromar. I thank you, Father, for your patience and forebearance.

Father, it had occurred to me that, if I were to return at a time when Rico's head was present here, I might be able to take him into myself, and with him complete the journey he started so many years ago. I would like to think that, together and with the help of our very talented friends, we might be able to absorb the last of the curse into ourselves in some way. Do you think that you might be able to help him become coherent enough to merge with a body that was prepared and nearby?

After relaying all of the Father's responses, Reid shrugs and asks:

I can think of nothing more at the moment. Do any of you have questions for the Father?