Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1509

Thread: Auromar, IC 2

1. - Top - End - #1441
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Auromar, IC 2

Reid:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Father Illian says that if you wish to, you could draw Rico into you now and follow his path to Pelor's Light. To share, you are the one that must give of yourself. Abel's mental voice tells you.

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Reid shares Father Illian's words, and shrugs at his companions.

It may not be tonight, but it seems clear to me that I will need to walk this path with Rico. His sacrifice cannot go unanswered.

But...I will forebear, if you feel that we must first free that man from the jail.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dothen

Dothen's voice comes from near the door. How long does it take Reid? We can wait a bit. Or if need be we can get Kjapp later.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Troll in the Playground

Passing the question along, you all will find out that it requires Reid to be asleep for thirty minutes before dawn until whenever the test is finished after dawn.

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Certainly, I will want to spend some time in prayer before. And I have reserved a Sending, which I would like to use to reach Sarai. I would need to return an hour or two before dawn.

Of course, it would also be helpful if we didn't do anything over the next few hours that lead to a city-wide search for us. Not all of us are experts in hiding.

He manages a small smile, despite the serious circumstances.

Perhaps we could go speak to Kjapp again. If he has found some way to shield himself - witness his ability to resist the dreams for the last two weeks - then waiting until morning, when there are no spirits to track him until he leaves the town, might be a very good thing.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

6. - Top - End - #1446

Dothen

Dothen calls from the doorway. Just as easy to get Kjapp out during the day. But why are spirits coming before someone who lives and breathes?

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Reid shrugs.

I have spoken with Abel and the others here, and the loss of their own bodies certainly seem to have made them no less alive, no less passionate and eager for life.

Kjapp seems to be in no immediate danger, and if his care in his confinement is inadequate, he certainly didn't mention. His confinement, while certainly unjust, it seems, has lasted for two weeks.

Rico has, it seems, spent years trapped torn between two kinds of existence, after a great leap of faith and courage that he seems to have taken in order to save others.

If I thought that Kjapp was in pressing danger, I would agree to find a way to free him now, and sneak back later to attempt to merge with Rico. But if we free Rico first, there's no indication that it will be harder to free Kjapp. Indeed, if it helps us unwind any part of the curse, it might make it considerably easier.

But you're right, Dothen, the early morning may be the best time to strike for Kjapp. Those in human forms will not yet be fully about their business, and the spirits will have vanished.

8. - Top - End - #1448

Dothen

Reid, you got me wrong. I just wanted to know which was more important. Honestly if you can free the one that is more screwed than the rest than do it. Take all the time you need. We can free Kjapp in broad daylight, actually that may be a better plan anyway. If we are 'here' for the ceremonial stuff with you, we couldn't be freeing Kjapp. Dothen's grin shows itself once again thinking about a broad daylight caper.

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

And breaking into the prison at night will have the guards spirits on us, no matter how well we conceal it from their earth-bound cousins. Best to work here first.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

In Auromar, Histantos Illist, Aasimar Warlock.

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Reid smiles, and settles in.

All right, then. I appreciate having each of you with me.

As I understand it, the old ceremony involved prayer and work prior to the dawn, at which time I will slip into a place in between our realm and heaven, called the Light. If I can go there with Rico, there is a chance that he will be able to complete the test, for better or worse, and move beyond this "stuck" state. Of course, I also hope that, if he succeeds in the test, he will be able to work with Father Illian and the four of us to circumvent this curse.

I will, presumably, be starting by taking Rico into myself. Given the fragmented nature of both his body and spirit, I don't know what that will be like. I will...be trusting the three of you to stop my body from doing anything too destructive.

Unless there's anything else, then, I suppose I'd better get started. I don't think I've ever been so nervous about falling asleep.

Reid manages a feeble grin, responds to any last questions from his companions, then steps away for a bit. Facing a side wall, and reaches out with his prayers to Sarai.

Spoiler
    Show
    Beloved. We've found a town a few days south. Cursed, different and same from yours. I'm trying something to help fellow priest. Love you.

After some fervent and brief mumbled prayers, he pulls out his bedroll, lays out his mace next to himself - more as a talisman than as protection, and tries to relax into sleep.

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Troll in the Playground

Reid:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Good luck, my heart. I will be waiting for your good news. Kisha and Krista both say hello. All my love.

It takes you a few moments to settle down, the restful crystal attached to your armor taking a moment to make the armor actually seem padded and comfortable, almost as if it were a blanket instead of a layer of steel.

As soon as you are comfortable, any doubts about having issue falling asleep are banished, as you actually feel exhausted and tired and you quickly, easily, and noiselessly slip off into sleep.

Reid:
    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is where you would normally make a will save, but as you're voluntarily trying this, you're also failing the save.

You feel something drag across your spirit, only your knowledge that something would happen keeps you from fighting it, as you feel something inside your body get let loose.

You are suddenly awake, or something to that effect. Looking around, you can see Grazys, Hist, and Dothen, although the three of them look flimsy and only translucent, as you would think you would see a ghost.

There are also six new people in the room. Two men in simple peasant clothing look to be twins, down to the long braid of black hair that hangs behind each of them. One of them stands next to a woman with burgundy red hair, who is watching the boy near the symbol of Pelor. The boy, Rico you assume, is as he was described. You can see his arm connected to his shoulder and side which are only partially there. The side of his body that exists travels down, his leg connected there as well. Everywhere else his body should be is a radiant light that seems to banish all shadows in the room.

Standing next to Rico is a man in simple clerical clothes of a bygone era. The symbol of Pelor hangs from his neck, and he looks at you with wisdom in his eyes.

The last man is in a well-made set of clothing, a dark green color. He has brown hair that is also pulled back, this time into a pony tail.

This man, the twins, and the woman bow to you. "Master." they intone.

The priest gives you a look, before looking at the four.

Looking down at your sleeping body, you can see a thin thread that travels from where your heart is there towards you. Looking down at your own body, you find that you are dressed in the simple underclothing that you normally wear under your armor.

Though, your mace is hanging from a loop, allowing easy access to it.

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Spoiler
    Show
    Reid takes a few moments to take all of this strangeness in, especially the "looking down at his own body" part.

The spirits' greeting startles him, and he raises both hands.

"Master"? No, no, I never sought...oh, right. The control seems to extend to this, this mode as well. Well, I hereby release all four of you. Instead, I hope to greet you as a new friend. Abel, Elyham, Kim, Matthew.

Reid experiments with "walking" towards the four of them to shake their hands. And then will approach to Father Illium.

Father, I am Reid den Birchcliff, son of Heirius and Gedri den Birchcliff. I offer my services as a humble servant of the Father of Light, and beg your guidance in how best to help this man.

He glances at Rico, marvelling at the presence and absence so completely concurrent in the man.

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Troll in the Playground

Reid:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The four shake their heads for a moment, and then look at you again. You are able to shake their hands, and as you shake Matthew's, he hits you upside the head lightly. "Just don't do that again, alright?"

Father Illian nods. "I pray you will be able to save Rico, Raidente Reid. I will need to tell you how the ritual normally works, and what I think we will need to do to include Rico in this."

Illian looks at the others, and they nod and walk away, passing through the doors.

Grazys:
    Spoiler
    Show

About five to ten minutes after Reid falls asleep, four of the spirits depart.

Reid:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Illian continues once they have left. "You would have been put into a magical slumber and have your soul drawn into this room, normally, but with the curse, all sleeping souls are drawn out of their body, regardless of where their are.

I would have then followed you into sleep and appeared before you as it is now.

The ritual normally begins with meditation, inside a prepared area of darkness, as it is always darkest before the dawn. At the moment of dawn's arrival, you must break the darkness with your magics, and then draw the light into you. Rico was an acolyte of Pelor and managed this part."

Illian looks to the boy. "What happens next, is your soul is drawn from the mortal plane, into Pelor's Light. Rico was partially drawn there, but the curse will not let any of us leave the walls of this town, even now."

Father Illian looks to you. "You must share in Rico's test, and draw the two of you together. When someone of this town forcibly takes control over a body, the spirit snaps the cord that bonds your soul to your body. To share, you must loop your own cord around the person you will share with, and tie yourself together with them. Do that and the person you choose to share with with be drawn into your body. Then when you awaken, you share in your position. And you are then safe from being brought here again apparently, as I have seen none of those who have shared or taken roam the city since."

Father Illian puts his hand on your shoulder. "It is a large request we put to you, Raidente. I can understand if you do not wish to share your body with another."

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Spoiler
    Show
    The priest takes Matthew's gentle reproof in the spirit it was intended. As the four depart, he calls after them.

Again, my deepest apologies, and I wish you the life - or death - you choose.

Listening carefully to Father Illian's instructions, Reid tries not to hesitate.

I will. I will undertake this test with Rico, and share with him the consequences. There are still some hours before the dawn, but I will use them in meditation, prayer, and - perhaps - in reaching out to Rico himself. Father, I thank you for your guidance, and pray that soon, your years of diligence and watchfulness will reach a happy end.

Awkwardly, Reid reaches out with both hands for the strand binding him to the still, ghostly form of his body. It was strange to feel the pale, subtle pulse in the thread, and realize that that was all there was to his life. All of his past struggles and battles, all of his hopes for the future - for the future of this continent, and his own future with Sarai - could be cut with a child's knife.

Lord Pelor, if it is your wish that I join in prayer and exaltation of you with this, your servant Rico, then let it be. Let it be a true and open joining, freely given.

Softly, slowly, Reid takes his own life-cord and looped it around the arm and chest of the one named Rico. And prays very hard.

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

Looking at the sleeping Reid. Hist smiled, as he speaks aloud to his friends without turning.

Might well be a bad idea, but I'm tempted to get some sleep myself. I wish I'd gotten one of those little rings sometimes.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Troll in the Playground

Reid:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The loop of your life's cord goes around the younger's body, and you feel something that feels like pure light being poured into it, as the visible portions of Rico's body fade away, drawn into your cord.

All that remains of Rico's spirit now is a figure of bright light, that your cord is still wrapped around. No attempts to remove the cord from the light will work.

In your mind, you hear something. Hello... Goodbye... Welcome... Go Away!!!

Help me... I'm doing this alone... Pelor preserve me... Pygas take you!!!

Father Illian nods. "Not what I had hoped, but the portal to Pelor's Light for Rico seems to still be opened, although you have Rico's spirit inside you. At dawn, we will start the ritual anew, and you will stand as Rico did, and follow his path."

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Reid nods to Father Illium, and clutches the pure light.

Reid tries to find a way to reach out to the fragments of Rico's mind, to reassure him and pull him together. He repeats this over and over for quite some time.

Rico. Listen carefully. My name is Ried. I am a friend, and a fellow of the Radiente. At dawn, we will take the test together. My strength will be your strength - your wisdom my wisdom. We will move together in the light, as Pelor wills.

18. - Top - End - #1458

Dothen

Dothen whispers back at Hist. Sleep now if you can my friend. Who knows when we can get rest for a bit. If you can't sleep safely in the house of Pelor then where can you? You know I will keep watch.

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

The warlock turns, and bows in sincere gratitude

Thank you, my friend

With that, he dropped to the floor, seemingly not caring about it's stone nature, his face still smiling as he finally began to relax and sleep.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Troll in the Playground

Hist:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Will save please.

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    So much for safe

(1d20+14)[19] Thank you DooL.EDIT or not...
    Last edited by Moral Wiz; 2008-03-31 at 08:27 AM.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Troll in the Playground

Hist:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you quickly and effortlessly fall asleep, you only have time for the thought that you're falling asleep a little too easily...

After what seems to be only moments asleep, you find yourself standing again. Looking around, you see Dothen and Grazys, both of their bodies seem flimsy and translucent. Your own body is lying down nearby where you went to sleep, and there is a thin cord traveling from the heart of your body to you. Out of all the equipment you're body is wearing or has near it, only your cape seems to have traveled over to your spirit body, along with the simple traveling clothes you wear.

Looking around, you see Reid and another man in clerical clothing, along with what looks like a standing human body of a older child, except the body is made of nothing but light. Reid's lifecord goes between him and his body, but also wraps around the body of light.

Reid is dressed in his simple clothes as well, even though he is armored where he sleeps. His mace hangs from a simple loop on a belt.

The priest looks at you and sighs, shaking his head slightly.

Reid:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you are communing with Rico, you hear Father Illian sigh and shake his head slightly. Looking at him, he is looking at something behind you.

If you turn around, you see Hist standing there, his own spirit tied to it's body with his lifecord. His cape seems to stand out ever so slightly from the rest of his clothing, both drawing your attention to it but also trying to blend in with his other clothing.

Reid and Hist:
    Spoiler
    Show

"I bid you welcome to the temple of Pelor. I do wonder what made you wish to sleep when you knew the results though." Father Illian says to Hist.

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

Spoiler
    Show
    Hist looked somber as he rose, though not surprised. He bowed low to the two Priests.

Simple mortal tiredness I fear Father.. I am sorry if this interrupts anything, but I have no means by which to remain eternally awake. If it is better, I shall depart, and stand vigil outside the temple.
    Last edited by Moral Wiz; 2008-03-31 at 08:50 AM.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Troll in the Playground

Reid/Hist:
    Spoiler
    Show

"You may stay, as I have already gone over the ritual with Reid, although I will ask that you leave when we begin the ritual near dawn." Father Illian says. "Although, if you leave the temple, I do suggest you not wander far. Your life's cord is easily severed if you are not able to protect it, and it will stretch out as far as you go."

Reid:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Any comments you make to the spirit of Rico inside you always returns two answers in the same voice, one a positive to your statement, the other a harsh negative.

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys Senneker

Lost in his thoughts it takes Grazys a bit to recognize Hist, too had laid down to rest. Looking down at the ring on his hand, he smiles, glad to have the item. He looks over to Dothen. "When d'ya wanna split sleep? I've always been a bit of a night owl, myself, anyway," he adds with a chuckle.

Suddenly remembering something else he'd noticed but not registered, Grazys' eyes widen a moment. "Oh. I think Reid released his posse from his control a bit ago."
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

Spoiler
    Show
    Of course Father. As you say. This way, we have a guardian against any spirits who may interfere with the ritual

He looks round, and notices the cloak.

Hmm...?

He looks closer at his fold, concentrating on trying to use the sight arcane

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+3)[20]Spellcraft and (1d20+15)[27] Knowledge arcana on why the cloak's still around
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

27. - Top - End - #1467

Dothen

Dothen's words carry from somewhere by the door About noonish I think I'll nap. Not during the night that's for sure.

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Troll in the Playground

Hist:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The cloak is as it was when you were in your normal body.

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys Senneker

Shrugging, Grazys looks around the temple. "Fair 'nuff. I'll stay up a bit, ta keep ya company, then I'll grab a catnap."

After a long pause, he speaks up once more. "D'ya know how long it's been since I've spent a lot of time in a temple? Not since I left the church of Heironeous - to my father's eternal irritation - 'bout twelve years ago. I'm usually not exactly welcome in 'em, given my heretical profession. Heretical in tha eyes of those who know of binders. Others just assume I'm dealin' with devils... They wouldn't be far off these days, I'm afraid. Though I've always felt it's not the tool but tha use of tha tool that determines good or ill, ya know?"
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

Spoiler
    Show
    Hm... Ho hum. I'll be outside, best to keep as much watch as possible..

With that, Hist left the temple. Only after he had passed the doors did he feel like experimenting, drawing upon a little of his power, a black flick around one hand, to ensure that he could defend himself

Spoiler
    Show
    Just testing that the El Blast works.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden