New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271

Default Re: The Scarred Lands (IC)

Having been given a (Short, and rather messy) summary of the things that have been discussed, Ty pales visibly, but recovers, and procedes to present a question:

Heinrich...it doesn't seem likely Branson would do such a thing, not even considering the possibilities of a normal spider being used to produce such a serum. It would need grossly powerful magic, or an extremely magical spider to do such a thing. Additionally, I doubt the people would oblige and be test subjects for him. He'd have to do something like poison a water source to get half the town infected. But enough of my doubts. What d'you have to say, miss? He glances enquiringly at Patience.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Graeme MacKelan

ooc:
    Perhaps to volunteer for my next pack of wolf spider agility serum? Made of 100% real Wolf Spider extract!
    ic: Graeme sits back and listens, when all of the events unfold around him, the words the crack-pot said echo in his sharp mind.

He asks, "Eh, thar now...lemme ask ye, doc. Was yer extracts given tae any o' the townsfolk by chance?"
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keishara Embermist in A World Bound Together
    Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Bree Yark in Barrowmaze Grp 2
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

3. - Top - End - #273
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Patience doses her father with a sedative, and then pours three cups of hot water, spooning some concoction she's powdered into each and giving it a swirl. She is is what is known in most places as high dudgeon. She points to the three who were bitten with the spiders, seemingly almost instinctively. You, you, and you. Sit. Drink. Her tone does not broker refusal or negotiation, and she stands there, 4'11" of raw, unbridled fury.

Once the tonics are consumed, she rounds on Tiersias. You. You do not get to speak here. This is my house, in my town. You come in here and start knocking around senile geriatrics for your personal amusement, and then you have the audacity to accuse my father, who has dedicated his entire life to the health and wellbeing of this town of responsibility for this disappearance? She moves to strike Tiersias, but is restrained by Jess, who clearly knows better than to interrupt.

Who are any of you to come here, in the heights of crisis, and accuse my family of this... travesty. Arcana is a sin of the highest order, and only the Slayer would support shapeshifting in the manner you so politely inferred on such spurious evidence. Who do you think you are? We are good, Gods-Fearing people. We are in trouble, and my father is a sad, crazy old man who was clubbed into senility by that thug Galen. How Dare you spurn his name and his life with your implications...

Clearly, Patience is a girl of passion, conviction, and a thesaurus. Almost immediately upon finishing the cups of slightly spicy tea, the bitten begin to feel better. Patience collapses back against Jess, reaching another trough of despair in the crisis.
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Hengist Magnusson, Huntsman, Woodsman, Norseman.

4. - Top - End - #274

Psht. Lady, you have little idea of how things really are. Apparently, your father is not a medical doctor, or you'd know that a few slaps in the face can calm people in a nervous crisis. And indeed, you haven't even listened to me questioning the idea of him being responsible, of how it was very, veyr unlikely, didn't you? Even then, you obviously don't know it, but let me break it to you. People change. Peace loving people can fall into brutality from fear and ignorance, and many people live their lives wearing masks, hiding their real selves, and I have seen that firsthand. You cannot really know if he wasn't deranged, and though I sympathyze with the difficult situations you've apparently had to live, you have to face the possibility of him not being the man you know, Ty says, in an icy tone, thinking of past experiences and of a rather miserable childhood. This girl, she doesn't even know the slightest bits about how the world works. But then, he remembers something. His parents died, and maybe because of that he has such a cynical point of view. What would have happened if they had lived, and one day, he was faced with a new facet of them, something horrifying and disturbing? No doubt, he would have screamed, cried, and attempted to deny everything. It must be rather hard for the girl to think that her father was responsible.

At that thought, Ty's expression softens, and he shoots Patience a look of pity. He has been rather rude to her. It would be best to leave her alone, and maybe ask for pardon tomorrow. But something she said has piqued his curiosity. Standing up, he says: If you wish for us to leave, I, at least, will oblige. However, Answer me this: Who is that slayer? Why is magic a sin here? And who is that Galen? We might be able to help you turn things back to normal, but only if we know something.

Sadly, at exactly this moment, Etrius, Stinged by Patience's attack at the group, comes out from Ty's backpack, and hisses at Patience in draconic: How DARE you accuse the boss, you wench! He is a hero and a good man, and is trying to help you! Apologize to him, or you'll have to face me!

That does it. As soon as we can, I'm teaching Etrius self control. He's ruined it all.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gislana

Blissfully ignorant of the specifics of the talking brooch's comments, and oblivious to the subtleties of the debate between Tiresias and Patience, Gislana interrupts.

Patience, I am beink sure you are a good healer, but I have other techniques that may help settle your father. May I be havink a look?

If Patience assents, Gislana will take a moment to examine Doc. She is looking specially for any effects of poisons, drugs or diseases.

Spoiler
    Show
    She is checking first with Detect Poison to see if there's any poison in his system - spider or otherwise. She follows this up with a general Heal Check (1d20+6)[20]

Glancing up from her examination, she speaks softly to Graeme, but with no effort to conceal her words from any of the others.

He is very ill. There are poisons and anti-poisons battlink in him. Also, there is beink a deformation of the skull, here, you see? It may be nothink, but with a man I was beink treatink on Tarrak it made him see many thinks - some that were of great wisdom, but also, some of the pink owlbears, yes? Rest will help some, but I do not have the skill to heal all of his troubles.

She rises, bowing slightly to Patience.

Your father, he is a great man to work with such difficulties. Yes? There is no shame in this. And no blame in their questions also, yes?
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-01-31 at 11:26 PM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

Heinrich

"Tiresias, you were asked, no, told not to speak. You are in this lady's home. Be civilized for once and do as you are told." His voice is harsh and scolding.

He turns to Patience, speaking with a much calmer and more apologetic tone. "For my part, I am sorry for implying that your father caused this intentionally. I did not mean that. Perhaps Belsameth had a hand in it. However, from the perspective of an outsider, it is the most logical conclusion that your father caused it. Now, that being said, the rational thing to do here is to find out exactly what caused this, and how to reverse it, if possible."

(diplomacy - (1d20+10)[29])
    Last edited by fendrin; 2008-02-01 at 10:58 AM.

7. - Top - End - #277

DwarfClericGuy

Jess whispers softly in her ear from where he's holding her from behind, and finally, she lets out a great sigh and speaks, looking at no one. No one comes to Daddy for help anymore, not since his... obsession started. All he does is catch spiders and keep them in jars. Every child here has done it. There's a great variety here. Daddy used to make antivenom and curative potions, and he showed me how, and no it's my place, but I'd do anything to get away from here, to get him help... Tears begin to roll down her face as she continues, with a catch in her voice.

As to what happened, I don't know. Cap'n Galen and the elders had a council two nights ago. There was an argument, and there was shouting that could be heard all over town. Yesterday, before dawn, Galen's thugs broke into the black fly pub and threw poor Mr. Archer in hack. Then, at sunset, the spiders came. That's all. Daddy isn't capable enough to catch his own samples anymore. How do you propose that a poor, crazy old man became king of the spiders?
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #278

Ah. Ty mutters softly. This points us in two new directions. Your father didn't bring the spiders here on purpose, Patience, and he probably didn't even bring them, full stop. There are now two major possible causes for the invasion. One, that your father, by mistake, created some chemical that attracts spiders, which seems doubtful...or Two, SOMEONE sent the spiders here. Hmm... Ty says as he starts walking around. Patience, you know of the Dream Struck Pilgrims, right? All of us fit that bill, and as we were being transported by ferry to the island, our ship was attacked by a giant sea monster. It is an interesting coincidence that, at about the same time we were sailing towards here, the town got invaded. Perhaps something or someone is trying to keep people off the island's interior. Or it could be a coincidence, but that is not likely at all. Has anything unusual happened in the last months? Strange sightings, for example? He stops, and stares at the young girl, as he remembers something. Oh, By the way, I apologize for the rudeness of my companion. It won't happen again.

9. - Top - End - #279

PirateCaptain

Graeme MacKelan

Graeme listens to Gislana's prognosis and furrows his brow and chews on his beard near his lip. It is obvious he is deep in thought. He listens some more to the others, choosing to remain silent until his voice is needed.

I wish'd tha' dwarf would speak proper dwarven. I kinnae har'ly understan' a word she says, he thinks to himself but is unwilling (or too stubborn) to admit his lack of comprehension of her words.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Heinrich

"Ty, we don't even know we are on the island. You see my lady, we are lost, know each other barely more than you know us, and just trying to help with this calamity. Please don't hold the brashness of some of our number against the entirety."

11. - Top - End - #281

We'll discuss this later in a more thorough way, Heinrich, but let's make something clear: We need to know more, and we need to know RIGHT. NOW. If we don't know, we're stuck running circles. Because of this, I'm setting manners aside. Or D'you think I'm THIS way all the time? But enough of that, at least for now. So, miss, has anything odd happened in the last few months?

12. - Top - End - #282

DwarfClericGuy

Fast Forward: You learn that the only truly odd thing to happen is that Captain Galen recently bought a number of horses, along with some large crates into the town, and he locked up one of the other council members.
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gislana

Gislana sits down heavily, sorting through the information slowly and carefully.

Jess, you have said that you have not seen outsiders like us often. This is a small island. Do you know what Galen would want with horses, or where he would have been gettink them?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

14. - Top - End - #284

DwarfClericGuy

You all insist this is an island, but I've only ever seen water to the south, where you came from. Regardless, the horses came in, along with the crates, the last time the Errant Venture came back into port, maybe three weeks ago.
    Last edited by Torger; 2008-02-03 at 03:43 PM.
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

Heinrich

"We were on our way to an island when we were shipwrecked. That doesn't mean we washed up on the island." He says to Jess.

"Regardless, we have two factors to consider. One, the doctor's malady combined with his obsession may have indirectly led to this occurrence, but the arrival of the horses and crates is a more likely trigger event."

16. - Top - End - #286

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Azerian Kelimon View Post
    Because of this, I'm setting manners aside. Or D'you think I'm THIS way all the time?
    Graeme MacKelan

The dwarf mutters under his breath, "Ye 'ave acted like this since I've known ye..."

Graeme continues to listen to the account. He asks, "So, lad, this Archer... what mayhap be 'is trade? What else can ye tell 'bout this Galen and Archer an' th' council? Where might these crates be? Where be this Galen now? 'Bout 'ow many o' yer militia there be?"
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

17. - Top - End - #287

Heinrich's comment provokes a surge of inspiration in Ty's brain. As soon as a space appears in the conversation, he speaks: I don't want to interrupt, but...does anyone in the village have a map of the land? If we can ascertain if we are on the island, we may be able to discard the possibility of something sinister at work. Or at least, more sinister than what we've seen.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

Heinrich

"Where we are is not relevant to the issue at hand. We can figure out our own issues after the spider problem has been resolved."

19. - Top - End - #289

PirateCaptain

Graeme MacKelan

"Nay, 'Einrich - methinks th' lad figure's tha' th' island an' town 'ere looks tae be like some sort o' spider 'ive or somethin' from a bird's eye view - right, lad?"
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

20. - Top - End - #290

Madrigal

Fully fed up with the light argument, Lucas stepped as quietly to a window as he could. His metal feet left hollow echoes behind as he stared out onto the street.

21. - Top - End - #291

Heinrich, think about it. The only piece of land nearby when we suffered the shipwreck was the island, and it's absolutely impossible that we could all make it to another land days or weeks away while unconscious. Something or Someone must have helped us reach this place. But then again, we are nobodies. Why would somebody take interest in us? That's why I want a map. If we are on the island, nothing odd has happened, but if we are on another land... Ty leaves the phrase unconcluded.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gislana

Also giving up on this chatter, Gislana returns to tending to the rather confused old man.

It is beink all right now, doctor. Perhaps you would like to be tellink me more of your spider research?

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

Heinrich

"..."
    Heinrich sighs.
    "I do not comprehend your logic, which either means you re not making sense or you live in a different reality than I do. Regardless, the individual most likely to have a map is also the person most likely to be able to tell us about the cargo that arrived at the time of the Disappearance. Jess, I think it is time you took us to the Captain."

24. - Top - End - #294

PirateCaptain

Graeme MacKelan

"I hates tae admit it, but Heinrich be right 'bout one thing," Graeme says finally. "We needs tae see this 'ear Cap'n. 'Owe'er, if'n th' Cap'n is willin' tae throw a member o' th' Council in yon dungeon, then we best thing 'bout 'ow we plan on doin' this. Jess 'ere was ready tae fill us all full o' 'oles when we met 'im - thar be no tellin' wha' the Cap'n 'ill do. Mayhap Jess'll be able tae properly introduce us, but tha' is only gonna go so far. Walloping folks 'pon th' 'ead an' growin' tae ogre size is not th' course o' action we needs tae take."

Graeme looks sternly at those whose actions he referenced earlier.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

25. - Top - End - #295

Ty smiles. Don't worry about that. That's the most noticeable stunt I can pull, but it doesn't mean it's the only trick I have, or that I'm gonna use it in the middle of negotiation.

26. - Top - End - #296

DwarfClericGuy

The Old man mumbles incoherently as he fall asleep, the wooden cup Patience made him drink from slipping from his hands with a clatter. He snores quietly in the overstuffed and ratty armchair as the others discuss. Her father asleep, all of Patience's remaining strength and resolve seem to face as she visibly sags back against Jess. She refuses to contribute to the discussion, or even meet the eyes of the others, a blank, bitter look on her face.

The town looks like a clearing on the forest on the map. Look, I think you folks have done enough damage here. It's time to see the Cap'n. He's in charge here, anyway, especially with Mr. Archer in the hack. Come on. Out.

He is clearly angry at the way this little meeting went down, and he sat the near-catatonic patience on the couch, and kissed her cheek, turning to leave. She caught his hand, pulled him back, and kissed him soundly, whispering in his ear.

Straightening up, he moved toward the door, holding it open until the entire party left. The last to leave saw Patience cover her father with an old knitted blanket, and then move into the sick room, checking on the two survivors.

The route Jess lead them on took them past a smallish, wooden outbuilding with a barred window on the door and a crudely painted sign labeled, "Hack." He then leads the way toward the ship at the center of town. Its three masts, complete with crow's nest, prop up the webbing like poles in a gossamer circus tent. Permanent additions have been built out from the hull, but it is unmistakably a beached vessel -- fo'castle, rails, and all. A richly carved and gold-leafed sign reads, "The good Fortune."

He is in there, as like as not. Jess indicates the door, but makes no sign of entering. I will assist Patience with your friends. Will you be able to find your way back?
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gislana

Not wanting to worsen the situation - especially since their unconscious companions were being left in Patience's care, Gislana tries to hustle the others out.

I am sure we are findink it fine. Shall be goink, comrades?

She checks to make sure that her healer kit is repacked, and she is out the door.

28. - Top - End - #298

Madrigal

Lucas nodded at Gislana's suggestion, already walking away. When the group reaches the ship, the armored suit of a man stepped forward to the door. His hollow gauntlet pounded on the door three times, calling, "Good Captain, are you about? My companions and I must speak with you." He waited a moment and looked over his shoulder at the group. It was impossible to tell where a slotted helm would be looking, which bent the rules of staring a bit.

29. - Top - End - #299

PirateCaptain

Graeme MacKelan

Being more of a follower than a leader, Graeme seems content to keep up with the rest of the group. He has sheathed his sword, but his shield is still strapped to his arm and ready for action. The dwarf's free hand scratches at his beard and then trails into his pack where he scratches his familiar behind the ears as well. Removing his hand from the pack, he says, "Methinks th' Cap'n be givin' us th' once o'er - either tha', or th' spiders 'ave 'im."
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

30. - Top - End - #300

Hmm...some of us have magical companions. Should we send them looking for some way to enter? They can go through places we can't, after all.