New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: The Scarred Lands (IC)

Gislana

During the crash:

Lurching to awareness, the priestess instinctively begins with a hasty prayer to Nemorga.

Lord, if this be my time, may my journey to you be swift.

The second lurch sends her tumbling from her bunk. From this vantage point, she quickly scans the cabin, and sees others preparing to abandon ship. Quickly stashing her armour and crossbow into a sack, she grabs her spear and glances around once more. If there are any of her cabin-mates still asleep, she gives them a quick nudge with the butt of her spear, and dashes topside.

Working underground is one thing. Trapped in a burning wooden box as it tumbles into the ocean is quite another.

Water. Nausea. And then more water. And a bit more water. These are Gislana's dominant experiences of the night. At some point, a kindly sailor helped her lash herself to the smaller of the masts, which worked fine until the mast came free of the rest of the ship and tumbled into the water. At one point she was SURE she'd seen a massive, dark shape glide past her in the water...but it was all so confused.

Post Crash:

Gislana tried to rise from her cramped and uncomfortable position, only to discover her left side pinned under the mast, on the beach. Glancing around, she saw other detritus from the wreck - some living - scattered on the sand and rock.

With a mighty push, Gislana managed to dislodge the chunk of mast enough to free herself, and then worked the water-swollen rope until she was able to free herself. She hauls her pathetic bundle of surviving worldly goods further up the beach to keep them from being swept away. She would like nothing more than to collapse on the beach until the sun baked away the rest of this wretched damp - but she was needed. Bad as she felt, there were others whose time had not yet come, but yet who would be suffering greatly from the crash.

Pulling open her pack, Gislana pulled out her healer's kit and unwrapped it to dry out the wet-but-not-sodden bandages. Taking her sickle along as a precaution, she began to head along the beach, checking bodies for signs of life and calling out in the common tongue for survivors.

Seeing Heinrich wading back into the water, she shouts out to him.

Hey! Found any other survivors, any injured?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

2. - Top - End - #92
    Orc in the Playground

Dael

Dael sleeps oddly well in the rocking wooden bucket that is a ship at sea. He is deep in a pleasant dream - a silky expanse of pale skin, hair in two shades of red sprayed across it - when he is tossed from his top bunk to the floor. The fall is painful, and it takes Dael a minute to get his bearings. By the time he does, though, a lantern has broken, and from there it's only a matter of shocked, confused minutes before the ship explodes.

Dael, having never encountered a body of water larger than a flooded city block, cannot swim. Desperately, he grabs at a piece of floating wood nearby, and finds that he is too heavy for it as it sinks immediately. He continues to struggle before another piece of debris knocks him on the back of the head.

He wakes, some time later, on a shore, his body being hauled by the dark elf from the Mare. He gives a heavy cough, and then another, before choking out, "Thank you, friend. What happened?" He then stands uneasily, and sends a quick mental query to Sapheral, who is apparently wet and miserable and concerned, but uninjured. Thank the gods for small mercies, at least.
    Avatar: Dave the Drone Rigger, by Brickwall

3. - Top - End - #93

As more and more people stand up and approach him, the dark elf, and Graeme, he decides to focus his mind on two things: The first, to see if the elven wizard, the red haired maiden, and the halfling survived the crash. The second one, to try to obtain supplies from the boxes that survived the crash.

The halfling is easily found, as the tide brings him to the beach. Rushing towards him, Ty shakes him as he mutters a wake up, man, wake up. This isn't time to take some beauty sleep.

The wizard and the maiden, however, aren't on sight. Lifting the halfling and carrying him on his back, he returns to the group, hand him to Graeme, and starts thinking about the next steps to take. Looks like most of us survived the crash, but the crew wasn't as lucky. We'll have to give them a burial if we can. Once we're done looking for survivors, we'll need to start salvaging supplies, we're a big group and need something to eat. And we better start now.

Exiting his meditative state, Ty decides to act, and shouts. EVERYONE, LISTEN UP! IT SEEMS AS IF MOST OF THE CREW PERISHED, AND THE SURVIVORS HAVE WASHED ON THE BEACH ALREADY! WE NEED TO GET SUPPLIES AND SET UP CAMP TO TEND THE WOUNDED! CAN ANYONE LEND A HAND WITH THAT?

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Heinrich

Heinrich shouts back to the Charduni. "I've got a surviver here! Come help him, there are still some more people out there!"

Smiling to the near-drowned man, he says "You are welcome, friend. I do not know what happened. I must go, there may be others."

With that he runs back into the water.
    Last edited by fendrin; 2007-12-01 at 08:29 AM. Reason: speech text color

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

~8:00AM, The First Corday of Belot, AV 150

The first day of Belot, the Month of Death, seems to bloom with intense purpose. All around, the primarily human crew lies dead, twisted on the beach, or bobbing in the water. It is a grisly and downright macabre scene, searching through the bloated, blue corpses for your belongings or survivors.

As you comb the beachhead, you find that seven of you remain, hale and hearty, at least, as much as can be expected. Aside from assorted bruises and contusions, you seem to have escaped relatively unscathed.

Everyone roll me a spot check.
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Hengist Magnusson, Huntsman, Woodsman, Norseman.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Sean
    Gale... you're back... what? I should fan the make up? wha...
    Slowly the halfling opens his eyes - muttering to the tall man shaking him, as he regains what little senses he's left:"I have no make up! I can't... what's happened? Where's the ship? Wounded? ... are you wounded? you're fine? oh-all right... am I?"
    With a quick check revealing he's not wounded, but the fish found in his ear sure is, Sean is up and ready, if a bit wobbling...
    when he notices the huge pile of the dead.
    Google-eyed at its sheer magnitude and crudeness, he turns to Tiresias "How's that possible? And... and... has anyone else survivied? So many on the ship... and now...so few"

As the impact of reality sinks in, he moves on - not wanting to think too much of the drowned, and how everyone could have shared their fate - and helps out on the search for survivors...
    Last edited by WakkaWakka; 2007-12-01 at 09:58 AM.
    Currently playing as:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #97

It's no use, friend. We're all who remain. Everyone else is dead, apparently they didn't escape the crash. There's not a lot we can do here now, mostly obtain as many supplies as we can, and then get moving, Ty pessimistically proclaims. What me and the dark elf were discussing hit the nail right on the head. We've walked into a trap, and I have a gut feeling that we're going to fall for something much worse before this ends. What dangers could lurk in this island? What tricks and traps will we have to navigate our way through?

8. - Top - End - #98

Madrigal

The lack of physical components helps Lucas stay on task, keeping an eye on everyone, and the beach in general. Seems quite odd that the entire crew died, and yet we all seem to live. I need to start watching everyone more carefully.

Seeing the Charduni help with the bodies prompts Lucas to walk over near her. "I would offer my help, but I'm afraid I would sink... again," he says to those within earshot.

Spoiler
    Show
    I changed my text color, since that light blue sucked.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gislana

Gislana has responded to Heinrich's call, and helps drag the man ashore. As the process drags on, and it's revealed that only seven remain, she becomes grimmer and grimmer.

Most of the passengers remain, but none of the crew. Perhaps they stayed on board longer, and got separated. Time will tell.

Lucas's approach causes Gislana to straighten, dusting sand from her hands.

Better to have you safe on land for now, Madrigal. It is indeed an act of providence that even the less bouyant among us have made it ashore. Best not to tempt that. Are you in need of oil or other supplies after our collective dunking? Otherwise, I think it best that we try to get all of the crates and bodies up past the high tide mark for now, and we can start the process of salvage. From his shouting -

She gestures down the beach to where Ty and Sean are walking.

They may be scouting a location for a suitable shelter. Perhaps something with an overhang, or a stream nearby?

Edit: Swapping in Madrigal for Lucas.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2007-12-02 at 03:52 PM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

10. - Top - End - #100
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Graeme MacKelan

After helping with the survivors and those not as lucky, Graeme wipes sweat from his brow and looks over at Ty when he shouts orders. Normally, Graeme would tell the human to stick something in an uncomfortable place, but Graeme was too tired (and the human was correct).

The dwarf tiredly answers, "Oi - I 'ave th' gift o' healin' - tho' minor it be. If'n ye find someone who be needin' help, call fer ol' Graeme MacKelan. Otherwise, I'll be siftin' through th' wreckage lookin' fer food an' th' like. Dinnae worry, I'll save ye some o' what I find."

ooc:
    Spot - (1d20+1)[5]
    Search - (1d20+6)[17]
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keishara Embermist in A World Bound Together
    Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Bree Yark in Barrowmaze Grp 2
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

11. - Top - End - #101
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Sean
    Oh, right - we must be somewhere, after all...

"G... get moving? We should, but... do you have an idea of where we are? It's like we're in the middle of the sea, and around us there's only... well, only sea..."
    Taking up what's left of his courage, the halfling stands :
    "All right - let's see what's left of the ship, then..."
    Last edited by WakkaWakka; 2007-12-02 at 05:22 AM.
    Currently playing as:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102

Madrigal

"Indeed, it is rather lucky I made it ashore, although I believe not needing air helps," he says, not finding the ability to smile. Something catches his eye, however, and distracts him from in-depth conversation. "Oil? Shouldn't be necessary, but if you have some it would be appreciated. Excuse me a moment."

With a nod of his helm, Lucas walks to the large piece of hull where he could see something odd underneath. Kneeling, he attempts to see it more closely, and if necessary, tries to move the wreckage.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just to be clear, Madrigal has NEVER given the name Lucas; Calling him it will just freak him out!

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gislana

Spoiler
    Show
    My confusion, Hellfencer. Madrigal it is!

Gislana is about to head over to her pack.

It is not high grade oil, Darlink, but at the very least it will slow...

Noticing the direction of Madrigal's gaze, Gislana steps back, and lends her own strength to shifting the wreckage to check underneath.

That red spot? Too pale to be blood - at least, dwarf blood.

14. - Top - End - #104

Seeing the dwarf and the knight stare at part of the hull, Ty approaches them to ask what's so interesting. What are you doing? Found something imp...his voice trail off, as he notices some red. A red that evokes memories, at that. Taking a few steps back, he shouts I'll do this. Stand back, and starts concentrating. As he focuses his mind, a smell emits from him. To him, a smell of burning wood, and ash...A smell which brings back the memory of a terrified child, of the idiocy and ignorance of man, of people lost who can never come back.

And then, Tiresias grows. He grows, and grows, to 10 feet, and a bit more. Then, now expanded, he proceeds to bend down, and attempts to pick up the hull and throw it away.

Spoiler
    Show
    Char development time! Because of the "Olfactory" manifestation of Expansion, the power I'm using, a smell spreads up to 20', that smells differently for each person, and brings back a long lost memory. Abuse it, it's free.

Also, because of the expansion, I gained a +2 STR bonus and doubled weight capacity, which puts the max weight I can lift at 800 lb. Is it enough for picking the hull up and throwing it away?

15. - Top - End - #105

DwarfClericGuy

8:00 AM, The First Corday of Belot

You find most of the crew dead or missing, perhaps if the Sea Witch smiles, washed up on some other beach. Gathering together what supplies you can, several of you decide to try and make your way toward shelter.

Several of your number, namely the Charduni, and man in Full-Plate, and the strange human with the crystalline spider, seem to be converging on a largish piece of wreckage, probably 10 feet on a side. The armoured man bends to poke at something, and one wonders how well his sense of touch works through those gaunlets, as a smell of something... familiar... wafts over each of you. Seemingly without warning or preamble, the human, Tiersias, seems to almost triple is size, and with ease casts aside the half-submerged wreckage, revealing a quartet of people -- The Captain, another crewman, the Forsaken Elf, and his half-elven comrade. They don't appear to be in the best of shape.
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gislana

That smell...am I having a stroke? Oh, I guess not.

One side, please!

Seeing the four crew members, Gislana slips past the mammoth man and begins to check for signs of life. If she finds any that are unconscious but still alive, she administers the healing blessings of Nemorga.

Spoiler
    Show
    Heal check (1d20+6)[16]

Converting 0-level spells to Cure Minor Wounds as necessary to stabilize them.

17. - Top - End - #107

Seeing the people buried beneath the hull, Ty lets our a deafening shout. EVERYONE, COME HERE! WE'VE FOUND SURVIVORS! He bellows, as he approaches those who seem to be the last survivors of the crash. Seems like my hunch was correct. We're lucky that armored man and the dwarf noticed this people, or they would have perished. But now, we need to find a place to set camp and give them time to recover. He then proceeds to scream a question. Has anyone found a protected place? We need to set camp, this people need a safe place to rest.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

Dael

Dael helps the others search for survivors - a depressing task, but it helps that Dael is desensitized to dead bodies. Still, there is little to do until the Charduni and the man who is, inexplicably, still wearing his heavy plate, find someone. The cry goes out, and Dael runs over.

"Madame priestess, do you need any help? I am a fair hand at healing, particularly with the setting of broken bones." The calmness in Dael's voice is comes from hundreds of sessions at the Clinic, tending the wounds and accidents of Hollowfaust's citizens. Even still, however, he's seen few disasters of this magnitude; though his hands are steady, his legs tremble ever so slightly.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gislana

The Charduni looks up at the enlarged man, a slightly pained expression on her face.

Must you be so loud, darlink? I believe that some of the crew already in Nemorga's embrace just heard you.

Smiling faintly through the concern, she returns to her work on the newly discovered refugees from the wreck.

20. - Top - End - #110

Better be sure everyone hears me, madame. This is something important, and no great thing was hushed up and said in whispers, Ty says, as he shrinks back to his normal stature. And if the crew heard us, they might come back to complain because we've disturbed their sleep. Or maybe I can get the rescuees to wake up. But don't worry, I won't shout again, he says, as he sets off in search of some sheltered space.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm walking towards the highest point I can find, or towards any mass of trees. Any description of what I see will be greatly appreciated.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Heinrich

Pulling the last corpse he can find in from the water, Heinrich walks over to the crowd of suvivors.
    Neat trick that one pulled, getting big like that. Still, I prefer to not make myself a target.
    Last edited by fendrin; 2007-12-02 at 07:36 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112

PirateCaptain

Graeme MacKelan

At the sound of the shouts, Graeme grabs his shield and sword and runs as fast as his stumpy legs can take him to where the others have gathered. As he approaches, he slows as he watches Ty grow in size and lifts part of the ship.

He joins the others and helps Gislana check the injured and will lend healing where needed.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

23. - Top - End - #113
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Sean
    The bellow finds the halfling down headfirst in some nearby flotsam.
    As he gets in a more coherent position, he finds the world kind of upside down...
    A giant Tiresias? ... What is he doing to the ship - oh, wow... that got quite near... survivors! And badly hurt, too - maybe they'll need one more set of hands there...
    As he steps closer, it looks like his clumsy cares aren't needed so badly - all the better for the survivors...
    Last edited by WakkaWakka; 2007-12-03 at 12:14 PM.
    Currently playing as:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gislana

As Graeme approaches to assist with the wounded, Gislana is about to raise a hand to brush him off, when she notes the skill and care with which he probes and tests. She smiles, just a little.

Huh. Perhaps not quite the irredeemable oaf after all.

25. - Top - End - #115

Madrigal

Lucas appreciates the help, though he wishes it could have been offered before a ten foot man was next to him. As people begin to take care of those that have fallen, Lucas places his cold gauntlet upon Gislana's shoulder, nods to her when she looks, and walks away. I am no healer... not anymore.

Lucas takes several steps away from anyone, and looks down at the sand, wishing he could close his eyes. Just for a single moment of respite. But Fate again has the laugh at the shell of a man. Trying to shake it off his mind, Lucas pulls a large flail from his belongings, hefts it to a shoulder, and looks to the perimeter again.

26. - Top - End - #116

DwarfClericGuy

~09:00AM, The First Corday of Belot, AV 150

The four people are in hard shape. The mate's head was pinned by the wreckage under the water when you found him, drowning him, probably in his sleep. The Captain seems to have a fractured skull, and the other two seem to be knocking at death's door.

Spoiler
    Show

Three CMW spells to stabilize the "survivors." The female has her arm broken in at least three places, and the main thing supporting the section of hull was Merrindel's legs. Plus, exposure, shock, and all that fun stuff.

Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #117

PirateCaptain

Graeme MacKelan

Watching Gislana at work, Graeme keeps quiet (for once). He pulls the dead man apart from the rest for the others to deal with saying, "This one be sailin' wit' th' gods." Graeme then says, "Gislana, ye do yer misguided group o' zealots right by yer work this morn if I may say so meself. Jest sos ye know, I am gonna let the cap'n's heed 'eal by its lonesome by envigoratin' 'is 'ealin' through Corean's mendin' ways."

Grasping the holy symbol from around his neck, Graeme chants the word of magic and lays his hand upon the captain and casts lesser vigor.

ooc: Lesser vigor will restore 11 hp over 11 rounds.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gislana

The Charduni glances up at the other survivors clustered around. Her words are fast, analytical. As she speaks, she goes to each of the captain, the Forsaken and the half-elf, and suffuses each with a faint glow.

The mate is with Nemorga now. I think I can safe the captain and the others. Be ready to pull them out and get them to a fire for warmth, get them dried off. Gently!

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Cure Light Wounds on each of the three:

(1d8+3)[8]
    (1d8+3)[10]
    (1d8+3)[4]

29. - Top - End - #119
    Orc in the Playground

Dael

Dael worked feverishly to help the Charduni determine the energy of the 2p orbital of a carbon atom using the Hartree-Fock Self-Consistent Field Method, only to find that as r->0, the approximation broke down...

[/frustration]

Dael looks over the shoulders of the dwarves as they work. Never before had he felt so...useless. He'd spent hundreds of hours learning the workings of the intricate machine that was the human body; he'd spent days slaving over dissections, and then hundreds of hours in clinics helping the poor receive medical attention. And yet, all that was nothing in the face of a little faith and a prayer. A different man might have turned to religion in the situation; Dael turned to anger.

Still, necromancers are taught to control their emotions in Hollowfaust, and the young man was not an inherently angry person. He stood steadfast by the others' sides, offering what help they might wish, his frustration helping to focus his attentions on the task at hand.

But still, it hurt knowing that there was someone better than him at something.

30. - Top - End - #120

Looking around for a sheltered spot, Ty runs out of luck. The beach is rather barren, and there isn't any spot to set camp at. Deciding something is better than nothing, he proceeds to set up his tent far from the water, and then returns to the group.

We're out of luck, people. There isn't any particularly safe place to set camp in, but I've set up my tent if that is of any help. Hmm...my knowledge about first aid is lacking, but I doubt leaving the wounded in water is a good idea. Maybe we can transport them to the tent using our bedrolls as stretchers?